TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Aftermarket HU w/ Kicker 4.1 amp?

Do you find that you need to keep the bass control really low with the addition of the trunk sub? The only bad thing about that is that it steals the bass from the 6X8 door speakers and they sound a little too tinny for my tastes.

I have the same issue. Tuning the 'sub' setting on my Pioneer deck along with the equalizer settings has helped, but I think I lose most of my midbass because the door subs don't seem to do much of anything. I think I will switch to a new aftermarket amp one of these days. That little Kicker 4.1 surely can't have too much juice in it.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the same issue. Tuning the 'sub' setting on my Pioneer deck along with the equalizer settings has helped, but I think I lose most of my midbass because the door subs don't seem to do much of anything. I think I will switch to a new aftermarket amp one of these days. That little Kicker 4.1 surely can't have too much juice in it.

If I could turn down the bass on the trunk sub only...that would be perfect...but obviously you can't with the stock head unit. I have no desire to switch out the head unit. I'm going to live with the sub hooked up for a while and see how it goes. If I grow to hate it...I can just rip it out easily and leave the wiring there - one thing nice about this set up.

Well, I had to rip the trunk sub out...it was just too unbearable to live with. The bass is just obnoxiously loud and annoying. I couldn't even hear my exhaust with this thing at a normal listening level. I can't even imagine listening to a song that had strong bass to begin with...just insane.

Sorry - maybe I'm too old to get the crazy bass thing...but I can't recommend the trunk sub personally. Much better with new speakers and just the kicker amp.

Now...what to do with this boat anchor?

Well, I had to rip the trunk sub out...it was just too unbearable to live with. The bass is just obnoxiously loud and annoying. I couldn't even hear my exhaust with this thing at a normal listening level. I can't even imagine listening to a song that had strong bass to begin with...just insane.

Sorry - maybe I'm too old to get the crazy bass thing...but I can't recommend the trunk sub personally. Much better with new speakers and just the kicker amp.

Now...what to do with this boat anchor?

Post it in the Classifieds here... lots of people with Shaker 1000 systems would love to reclaim some trunk space and shave some weight.

Jer

• 2 months later...

d2.jpg

avic3.jpg

:shift:

Installed my AVICZ130BT this week. Mostly OK, but the HU powers off when volume goes too loud.

I bought the diodes to solder in to fix that today. (It's a known issue with the PAC interface I used).

Rearview camera isn't sensing when the car's in Reverse, but otherwise works. Everything else is great. Perfect NAV, XM, etc...

What dash bezel kit did you use? I got the Metra, and it sits too deep into the dash, there is air showing around the bezel. Yours looks to sit flush.

Jer

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got my install done, and learned a lot. Hit me with questions!

See my signature line for specifics...

Jer

Installed my AVICZ130BT this week. Mostly OK, but the HU powers off when volume goes too loud.

I bought the diodes to solder in to fix that today. (It's a known issue with the PAC interface I used).

Rearview camera isn't sensing when the car's in Reverse, but otherwise works. Everything else is great. Perfect NAV, XM, etc...

What dash bezel kit did you use? I got the Metra, and it sits too deep into the dash, there is air showing around the bezel. Yours looks to sit flush.

Jer

Sorry, I missed your post.

I bought both the Scosche and Metra dash kits. I used whichever one looked better. I want to say it was the Metra?

Sorry, I missed your post.

I bought both the Scosche and Metra dash kits. I used whichever one looked better. I want to say it was the Metra?

I used the Metra.

And while I was soldering in the electrical fix (which worked, BTW), I noticed that the two tabs need to be ground off the front fascia for it to fit properly.

Mission accomplished.

Now, if I could get the Reverse camera to turn on when in Reverse. Sigh...

Jer

I used the Metra.

And while I was soldering in the electrical fix (which worked, BTW), I noticed that the two tabs need to be ground off the front fascia for it to fit properly.

Mission accomplished.

Now, if I could get the Reverse camera to turn on when in Reverse. Sigh...

Jer

That's why this is called a HOBBY. :yahoo:

That's why this is called a HOBBY. :yahoo:

LOL...

Jer

Archived