TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Bering sea ice.. The real deal..

Thanks for sharing Capt Bob! I enjoying watching that stuff from the comfort of my warm dry home. :yup:

Question. How much of a beating can those boats take? I see on the deadliest catch you guys are always going through very nasty weather. Is there a point where the boat will break?

Thanks!

Thanks for sharing Capt Bob! I enjoying watching that stuff from the comfort of my warm dry home. :yup:

Question. How much of a beating can those boats take? I see on the deadliest catch you guys are always going through very nasty weather. Is there a point where the boat will break?

Thanks!

The larger boats can take pretty much the most extreme weather systems produced.. Last month we were stuck in a class 2 Hurricaine for nearly 3 days.. If you dont' manage the ice of course the stability will fail, and if you dont have the vessel ballasted correctly the stability will also fail... Definely have to have a good crew, and be very prudent on maintaining the vessels proper stability for current conditions.. We get our asses handed to us every year. Unfortunately.. Most of the loss of life is from human error.

We lost a guy over board this trip, and recovered him..

Growing up around the Monterey Bay area of Calif. and being of Italian decent, I've fished on a number of boats and worked a number of docks. From trawling for Salmon on the "Marrietta" to dragging for Petralie Sole on the New Miss Enez & the Martha Louise (shrimper)...long-line fishing for rock cod and fishing pots for Carmel Bay shrimp...I rescued the crew of the very last Purse Seiner out of Monterey when it capsized due to a load that shifted (The New Roma) when the crew loaded it all on one side and the divider planks broke...and I've lost my share of friends to the waters off of Central California.

I lost a very good friend of mine who was fishing for Black Cod when his leg got tangled in a line as they dumped the pot over. It yanked him over the rail and took him down in a couple of thousand fathoms in the deep sea canyon off of Monterey. By the time the got the boat turned around, hooked the line and hauled him up he was gone. RIP "Champ" Diggs (and Harry Neice).

Fishing is a HARD and brutal life. You can go from rags to riches in one trip.

Or die trying.

I'm glad to hear you got your crewmember back from the clutches of the mighty Sea. She's not always (or usually) that forgiving. The waters off of Alaska are MUCH less forgiving than the Pacific. Consider yourself and your crew VERY lucky.

Phill Pollard

We lost a guy over board this trip, and recovered him..

Captain Bob,

Thanks for sharing some very nice photos!

Very glad you recovered your guy.

Brings back vivid memories of the winter of '79 and 62 days in the Bering Sea as a NMFS biologist aboard 3 different Japanese stern trawlers. Truly a harsh environment. Very exciting or looking back silly stupid explaining to the Japanese how to transfer me between ships, twice. At least they ran to the middle of a low pressure area to do it.

Larry

Archived