TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What is the BEST oil to use?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know anything factual about the new Castrol Edge oil, supposedly with Titanium. A breakthrough or just more hype in the oil war?

Titanium compounds are used as anti-wear additives in a few oil products; perhaps to compensate for the trend towards reduced Phosphorous (ZDDP) in motor oils. There's been some discussions on Titanium additives over on the BITOG forums. From what I can gather, it's too early to tell whether Titanium additives have any real benefit.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2233463#Post2233463

• 2 weeks later...

I have also been studying the dino v synthetic debate ad nauseum. One advantage to most dino or dino blends is that they maintain higher oil pressure than the thinner synthetics. I used to be a synthetic Amsoil only junkie but have changed.

• 4 weeks later...

I have also been studying the dino v synthetic debate ad nauseum. One advantage to most dino or dino blends is that they maintain higher oil pressure than the thinner synthetics. I used to be a synthetic Amsoil only junkie but have changed.

wait, this post just made me chuckle a bit. Sorry, no offense intended, but.....

The oil pressure of dino oil will naturally be higher due to higher friction from an inferior base stock. It doesn't mean you are getting better lubrication, it means you are restricting flow more. This results in higher pressure.

True synthetic base stocks yield lower pressure levels due to less friction from the base stock. This means greater lubrication with easier flow, and less resistance.

and synthetics are not THINNER, the base stocks are pure, with no contaminants. They flow easier, hence they are assumed to be thinner. I assure you, they are NOT thinner.

wait, this post just made me chuckle a bit. Sorry, no offense intended, but.....

The oil pressure of dino oil will naturally be higher due to higher friction from an inferior base stock. It doesn't mean you are getting better lubrication, it means you are restricting flow more. This results in higher pressure.

True synthetic base stocks yield lower pressure levels due to less friction from the base stock. This means greater lubrication with easier flow, and less resistance.

and synthetics are not THINNER, the base stocks are pure, with no contaminants. They flow easier, hence they are assumed to be thinner. I assure you, they are NOT thinner.

Correct me if I am wrong but dino would only generate higher pressure due to increased friction if there were no friction reducing additives (i.e.; zinc, moly, etc). If a dino or dino blend oil has an excellent friction reduction additive package it would equal the lubricity of synthetics.

Any one else use 5w-30?

Yes, I switched from 5w-20 Motorcraft last year to 5w-30 Royal Purple in both our Mustang's - 1 Roushcharged and 1- N/A

Very good thread!!!

Yes, I switched from 5w-20 Motorcraft last year to 5w-30 Royal Purple in both our Mustang's - 1 Roushcharged and 1- N/A

Very good thread!!!

I think Ford went to 5W-20 to reduce friction easier pumping of oil so as to increase on fuel economy. I read years ago that Ford bragged they saved .16/100 mpg by switching to the 5W-20. But many of the 2007 Shelby GT's had a 5W-30 oil sticker under the hood.

I think Ford went to 5W-20 to reduce friction easier pumping of oil so as to increase on fuel economy. I read years ago that Ford bragged they saved .16/100 mpg by switching to the 5W-20. But many of the 2007 Shelby GT's had a 5W-30 oil sticker under the hood.

Yes 5w-20 is what Ford uses to improve their Cafe numbers.

But in my world I didn't buy Mustangs to worry about fuel economy :shift:

Am on my way to the Warehouse to pick up my 10-40 Amsoil and filter and the Amsoil Trans fluid to do my first change later today. Only have 400 miles on it but always change the first time early.

• 1 month later...

I've been using Royal Purple 10w-30 with the MC filter after break in with 10w-30 dino, but I decided to try the XPR racing oil I got from Jeggs, with the RP filter on my next change.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Royal+Purple/831/01021/10002/-1

save of few $$ Jeff,

http://www.amazon.com/Royal-Purple-12021-Synthetic-Quart/dp/B000BPREJO/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1310248178&sr=1-3

Can someone post a pic of this SA sticker that states to use 5w30?

I've been using 5w20 Mobil one for 31000 miles. Would changing to 5w30 be beneficial to me this late? I do plan on road racing soon so if changing to 5w30 is ok I'd like to hear some opinions.

SA sticker that states to use 5w30, where :headscratch:

That post just looks like someone stuck the wrong sticker on and the put another over it. Would not put too much into that LOL... I still use 10-40 Amsoil in fact changing out the filter this weekend.

• 1 month later...

Correct me if I am wrong but dino would only generate higher pressure due to increased friction if there were no friction reducing additives (i.e.; zinc, moly, etc). If a dino or dino blend oil has an excellent friction reduction additive package it would equal the lubricity of synthetics.

I don't know how I missed this post, but I will reply to it months later.

All gasoline engine lubricants have additives as you have mentioned above, so this isn't even a comparison that can be made. True synthetic base stocks of equal grade flow better than any dino of refined petroleum, no matter the additive content. What you are referring too is called friction modifiers. Even if this is brought into the equation....true synthetics still win.

10w-40? Isn't that a bit overkill for our motors? 10w-30 is pretty thick stuff.

*Just saw you have a GT500, woops! Now it makes sense. lol

I'm actually testing Amsoil 10W-30 ATM in my Shelby at this time due too running a cooler thermostat. So far, it's working flawless. Ford spec'ing a 5W-50 for the 5.4L Shelby, and 302 Boss....now THAT was overkill.

• 5 months later...

Beast tried to send you a PM but your box is full. I am getting ready to start driving the superdcharged SGT daily in the cold weather would the AMS or Royal Purple 5/30 be better for the cold climate here in Colorado.

I've been running 5/20 and just noticed that the Shelby sticker under the hood recommends 5/30? I was surprised to see that Mobil 1 is not 100% synthetic. Going back to Royal Purple or start to use AMS oil.

Has anyone received a recommendation from SAI, Quantum, or Tasca re the 5W-20 or 5W-30 weight oils to use after being super charged? Has anyone received any recommendation from FRPP re using an oil other than 5W-20?

Just super charged also, so I have the same question...but, I live in Arizona (hot) What's best for me?

P.S. I don't race.

Just super charged also, so I have the same question...but, I live in Arizona (hot) What's best for me?

P.S. I don't race.

If you did not modify your engine, then the best oil for your car is FORD 5w-20. Why? Cause that is what the sticker says under the hood.

:hysterical2::hysterical::hysterical2:

I think I'm going to switch to Amsoil. No, I don't work for them! But - I like the following (from their website)... :salute:

REDUCE OUR DEPENDENCE

ON FOREIGN OIL WITH AMSOIL

Industry tests have shown improved fuel economy of 2 - 5% in vehicles using synthetic lubricants. Many AMSOIL customer testimonials tell of even greater savings. If all cars in America used AMSOIL synthetic motor oil, gear lubes and drive train fluids, we would save enough fuel to drive to the sun and back 165 to 420 times over.* (

Click HERE For Documentation)

But there is another way to reduce oil usage. AMSOIL synthetic motor oils are designed for extended drain intervals. Fewer oil changes means less oil used.

Keep America on the road with AMSOIL, the original synthetic motor oil.

*Based on U.S. Census Bureau, Statistical Abstract of the U.S: 2000 No. 1049, Domestic Motor Fuel Consumption by Type of Vehicle

A former SAI person, on another thread, stated the 5W-30 oil was recommended by FRPP.

FRPP recomends it ok, but FORD put a stcker under the hood that states 5W-20.

Some of the stickers on Shelby's were covered up AT Shelby by Shelby employees, not what FORD recommends.

Just like the arguement over correct air pressure in a tire.

So, who is right? FORD built the motor.

Ford not only built the motor but also warranties the motor. But SAI did place a sticker recommending 5W-30 oil. Not all the SGT's received the sticker. Bud, one of the platform planks stated SAI recommended 30 because they knew we would drive the vehicles harder than the average person. FRPP recommends the 30 weight oil. But then again there is not that much difference in viscosity or protection between 20 and 30 weight oil. I think Ford only recommended the 20 weight so as to gain a minute difference in EPA mileage, reportedly 16/100 miles per gallon. I think we will be fine using either 20 or 30 high quality oil. I am probably the only person on the site using ULX oil. I swear by it and so do several race mechanics. It has liquid moly in the oil. I have seen tremendous real world results for this oil. I used to use Amsoil but found it did not hold up to the advertisements, in my opinion, and according to the oil analysis that we had conducted. A wise man on this site once said use very good oil and change it every 2-3 K miles. I agree.

Ford not only built the motor but also warranties the motor. But SAI did place a sticker recommending 5W-30 oil. Not all the SGT's received the sticker. Bud, one of the platform planks stated SAI recommended 30 because they knew we would drive the vehicles harder than the average person. FRPP recommends the 30 weight oil. But then again there is not that much difference in viscosity or protection between 20 and 30 weight oil. I think Ford only recommended the 20 weight so as to gain a minute difference in EPA mileage, reportedly 16/100 miles per gallon. I think we will be fine using either 20 or 30 high quality oil. I am probably the only person on the site using ULX oil. I swear by it and so do several race mechanics. It has liquid moly in the oil. I have seen tremendous real world results for this oil. I used to use Amsoil but found it did not hold up to the advertisements, in my opinion, and according to the oil analysis that we had conducted. A wise man on this site once said use very good oil and change it every 2-3 K miles. I agree.

In 3 weeks, I can use what ever I want. :peelout:

FRPP recomends it ok, but FORD put a stcker under the hood that states 5W-20.

Some of the stickers on Shelby's were covered up AT Shelby by Shelby employees, not what FORD recommends.

Just like the arguement over correct air pressure in a tire.

So, who is right? FORD built the motor.

Actually, a lot of Shelby GT's came with a sticker under the hood from Shelby American recommending 5w-30 motor oil. There is a thread on here somewhere with the picture. But the 5w-20 Ford calls for in the manual is solely to increase fuel efficiency. If you are driving the car conservatively, and aren't getting on it at the track then yea, the 5w-20 is fine. Just keep in mind, my girlfriends Nissan Sentra, (a little in-line 4 cylinder) calls for 10w-30 lol. Just seems funny to be putting a light weighted oil like 5w-20 into your V8 now doesn't it?

Now, if you want to run the car hard or head on the track, that 5w-20 will lose its viscosity given higher temps and becomes the equivalent of lubing your motor up with water which is NOT good. 5w-30 maintains its viscosity much more so than 5w-20 under high temperatures and hard driving conditions. If you do some reading, Ford actually called for 5w-30 in the previous mustang GT model (2001-2004) which has essentially the same 4.6L V8. Ford changed to 5w-20 to meet new government fuel efficiency standards.

In the summer time I run 10w-30 as the motor gets a lot hotter and the 10w-30 is a much better oil for the motor under high temps. I run either Royal Purple or Amsoil with a Ford Racing (High flow capacity) filter.

Archived