TEAM SHELBY FORUM

'11 Shelby GT500 vs. CTS-V caddy............

darthracer777

+1

The LL writers also said that the GT500's grinding transmission/shifter wasn't the most conducive to good lap times, either.

They were not getting 1-2 shift grinding.

Here's a quote from the Car and Driver article.

"The shifter’s throws, for one, are unnecessarily short, and getting a lap together with an error-free two-to-three shift didn’t happen."

Which sounds to me like something that more seat time and gaining the feel of the shifter would be able to overcome.

Car and Driver LL 2011 Page 3

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The shifter’s throws, for one, are unnecessarily short, and getting a lap together with an error-free two-to-three shift didn’t happen."

Which sounds to me like something that more seat time and gaining the feel of the shifter would be able to overcome.

I agree (with more seat time needed).

Before buying my GT500 I heard of the missed 2-3 shifts too. All from shifter manufactures!

I have had NO problem hitting 3rd on a speed shift with my OE shifter. I just added a MGW but have yet to drive the car (mods still in progress) so I can not comment on it.

I have also had NO problem with my 1-2 shifts. Regardless of how hard or easy I shift, WOT or not and I've done 'em all. The ONLY time I ground a gear is one time when I tried a clutchless power shift from 1 to 2 with just a throttle lift...MY BAD (it didn't work)!

Frankly, I think the 1-2 shift problem is WAY overblown. A small but vocal group of car owners is having a problem but in the big picture, the ratio of problem cars vs. problematic cars is very small.

*I* completely understand why Ford hasn't issued a TSB at this point in time.

Phill

Car and Driver LL 2011 Page 3

How about this quote?

The GT’s shifter—unlike the GT500’s—is never too quick, never induces grinding, and is light enough in hand that missing a shift is a rare event.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10q4/lightning_lap_2011-feature/lightning_lap_2011_3a_ll2_class_page_3#Ford%20Mustang%20GT%205.0

(Bold added for emphasis)

So, I guess this "Small but vocal group" now includes C&D magazine as well.

(with all due fairness, they managed to hide their GT500 criticism under the 5.0 GT section. Really? That's kindof lame, but ok.)

No, it appears Ford would rather end up buying the cars back after legal arbitration than issue a TSB. Oh well, at least people aren't being killed from these transmission "failures" like they were in the past when Ford took this route.

How about this quote?

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10q4/lightning_lap_2011-feature/lightning_lap_2011_3a_ll2_class_page_3#Ford%20Mustang%20GT%205.0

(with all due fairness, they managed to hide their GT500 criticism under the 5.0 GT section. Really? That's kindof lame, but ok.)

No, it appears Ford would rather end up buying the cars back after legal arbitration than issue a TSB. Oh well, at least people aren't being killed from these transmission "failures" like they were in the past when Ford took this route.

Like I said in the case of Car and Driver I believe the 2-3 shift grind to be driver error. The driver obviously felt more comforable driving the 5.0 GT with longer smoother throws than with the shorter, harder shifts of the GT500. I spend a day this summer driving my friends 2011 5.0 GT/CS and hated the long throws and sloppier feel compared to my GT500. I would say the thow distance of the shifter in the 5.0 GT is easily 20-25% longer than that of the GT500. This does make a difference if you're not used to driving a car with shorter throws.

Like I said in the case of Car and Driver I believe the 2-3 shift grind to be driver error. The driver obviously felt more comforable driving the 5.0 GT with longer smoother throws than with the shorter, harder shifts of the GT500. I spend a day this summer driving my friends 2011 5.0 GT/CS and hated the long throws and sloppier feel compared to my GT500. I would say the thow distance of the shifter in the 5.0 GT is easily 20-25% longer than that of the GT500. This does make a difference if you're not used to driving a car with shorter throws.

I doubt that was it, as the driver had no grinding issues with any other car in the test, and I highly doubt the GT500 had the shortest throws of the cars tested.

Well, the 'outdated' live axle is best for drag racing....much stronger than IRS. Since I'm a drag racer, that's good for me. All you need is the right tires (yes, slicks), add a single DS, driveshaft loop, maybe a 'tweak' to the suspension and you're good to go. It'll be fun to take mine to the 'strip. I'll take some vids and share them on TS.

Oh, btw, here is a 100% stock suspension (not counting the tires/rims). No "tweaking" needed to pull 1.3-1.4 60's with IRS

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s297/christopherjmartin/DSC06822.jpg

Low 1.4 on that run ^

Pix of a 100% stock suspension+tires/rims GT500 pulling the front end off the ground while running 1.3-1.5 short times? Anyone? Should be cake with that SRA, no?

I doubt that was it, as the driver had no grinding issues with any other car in the test, and I highly doubt the GT500 had the shortest throws of the cars tested.

What was I thinking!!! I guess you know it all. Lol

I state a valid point and you come back with a remark like that. Typical. You're beyond trying to reason with. :headscratch: But I'll continue to try. (for now, Heh heh).

I think you missed my point, whether the GT500 has the shortest throw or not is not as relevant as it having different shifting characteristics than other vehicles in the group. Things such as shifter gating, throw length, shifter position, ease or resistance to shifting, etc. all come into play. I found it easy to adapt to the attributes of the GT500's shifter, others have not. If you're used to shifting a butter smooth transmission, you might need some seat time to get the feel for the GT500's shorter, harder to pull into gear shifts. Just sayin'.

How about this quote?

Your own quote indicates they (C&D Mag) had a problem with the SHIFTER in the car, *NOT* the transmission. Yet you continue to point your biased finger at the "bad transmission" Ford puts in the GT500. Read your own source before trying to put your own spin on their words.

As far as your assertion that Ford would rather buy back cars after legal arbitration....so far, you can only cite ONE instance of that happening (and no proof of it actually taking place other than anecdotal) and it was NOT a legal result. Arbitration/Mediation is only binding between the arbitrating parties and holds NO LEGAL PRECEDENCE in a court of law.

And even the OP/author of the post you so gallantly cite says the term "buy back" is a misrepresentation of the facts.

You can try to spin this situation every which way you can but in the end it is just your opinion.

You are entitled to your own opinion, but you ARE NOT entitled to your own facts.

Phill Pollard

Your own quote indicates they (C&D Mag) had a problem with the SHIFTER in the car, *NOT* the transmission. Yet you continue to point your biased finger at the "bad transmission" Ford puts in the GT500. Read your own source before trying to put your own spin on their words.

As far as your assertion that Ford would rather buy back cars after legal arbitration....so far, you can only cite ONE instance of that happening (and no proof of it actually taking place other than anecdotal) and it was NOT a legal result. Arbitration/Mediation is only binding between the arbitrating parties and holds NO LEGAL PRECEDENCE in a court of law.

And even the OP/author of the post you so gallantly cite says the term "buy back" is a misrepresentation of the facts.

You can try to spin this situation every which way you can but in the end it is just your opinion.

You are entitled to your own opinion, but you ARE NOT entitled to your own facts.

Phill Pollard

You are right about Arbitration not being a precedence setter of course.

People on this board have replaced their shifters with other units and the problem has not resolved.

Phill Pollard

Oh never mind the facts for JWGTROLL. He is the GM spinner. Ever notice how he has to always get the last word in too?. (it is coming any second now) He has issues, needs help, in the mean time, he thinks it is fun to come on a Shelby enthusiast board and bash bash bash. Then he will say things like "I like Shelby's but...........and rattle off all that he thinks is wrong with them or changes that Ford HAS to make to make them good in his eyes. . He does not act like any of my Corvette owner friends either, which makes me wonder if he even actually owns one. hmmmm. Plus he is always here trolling, day and night, seems a little off to say the least.

For the record, I own two GM vehicles and a GM powered boat, they serve their purpose just fine, But I LOVE my Shelby. SRA and all. I also support the vendors that make this site possible by purchasing through them. It is my way of telling them Thank You for making this site possible for true Shelby enthusiasts. OH, zero grinding for my Shelby, and Ford has ALWAYS corrected any issue I have had with their vehicles to my complete satisfaction. I have had my Shelby for 8 months now and it has needed Zero trips to the shop.

Troll on.

Oh never mind the facts for JWGTROLL. He is the GM spinner. Ever notice how he has to always get the last word in too?.

Naaah we just let him think he does. Trust me, he"ll go on and on and on and on and on...and probably never stop. You see, guys like him have this overwhelming need to try and convince everyone that their favorite "anything" is the best, or they spent their money on the best "thing". Whatever that "thing" may be...a car, vacation, house...doesn't matter. He obviously is an intelligent individual. You can tell that by his posts. But there's a common sense issue that doesn't let him recognize the obvious fact that anyone of us who paid $40K to $60,000 for our cars could've bought just about any car he's ramming down our throats. Most of us have had them already. Okay, JWG...you may continue. :)

Naaah we just let him think he does. Trust me, he"ll go on and on and on and on and on...and probably never stop. You see, guys like him have this overwhelming need to try and convince everyone that their favorite "anything" is the best, or they spent their money on the best "thing". Whatever that "thing" may be...a car, vacation, house...doesn't matter. He obviously is an intelligent individual. You can tell that by his posts. But there's a common sense issue that doesn't let him recognize the obvious fact that anyone of us who paid $40K to $60,000 for our cars could've bought just about any car he's ramming down our throats. Most of us have had them already. Okay, JWG...you may continue. :)

Thank's for your permission :) . Of course, being bored has heck most of the time because I only work a few days a week and besides that and pumping iron, going to the range (difficult, as I have an inverted schedule), it does contribute to me posting a good bit. I see a reply to my post(s), I respond. Just not a whole ton to do at times. My apologies.

PS. You think your GT500 is "the best"? That's fine by me. I'm glad you do, otherwise I would think you were rather dense for buying something that you viewed as inferior.

Diversity makes the world go 'round.

Thank's for your permission :) . Of course, being bored has heck most of the time because I only work a few days a week and besides that and pumping iron, going to the range (difficult, as I have an inverted schedule), it does contribute to me posting a good bit. I see a reply to my post(s), I respond. Just not a whole ton to do at times. My apologies.

PS. You think your GT500 is "the best"? That's fine by me. I'm glad you do, otherwise I would think you were rather dense for buying something that you viewed as inferior.

Diversity makes the world go 'round.

No one thinks their car is "The best".

It's a matter of Value for the money.

You only work a few days a week and afford a Z06? Well, you're not an engineer.....you must be a lawyer!

How about this quote?

There you go again making up your own facts. "The small but vocal group" are guys that have had 1-2 shift problems and not 2-3 as Car and Driver did. If you're having problems hitting third in a GT500 it's a 99% probability it is driver error. :finger:

I gotta say JWG223 that your reading comprehension skills are very weak.Lol

There you go again making up your own facts. "The small but vocal group" are guys that have had 1-2 shift problems and not 2-3 as Car and Driver did. If you're having problems hitting third in a GT500 it's a 99% probability it is driver error. :finger:

I gotta say JWG223 that your reading comprehension skills are very weak.Lol

I never saw where it said anything about it only grinding in 3rd gear, just that it ground, was heavy, and was "too quick", which could mean it was too short for the driver's taste, or it could mean what people on here have said, that if you move the shifter too fast, you will grind the transmission. Unless they are inclined to say more, I digress as it is speculation.

You mentioned earlier about how the 370Z is such a nice feel. Got one. Gave it to my Daughter... My Shelby, is just plain damned fun... No Grind... I have given it every chance to grind into 2nd. Now, I have missed 3rd a couple of times, but putting in the Shelby short-throw fixed that, and changing the tranny fluid for something better made that even better. I've driven and owned many sports/muscle cars over the years, but nothing gives me wood like my Shelby...

You mentioned earlier about how the 370Z is such a nice feel. Got one. Gave it to my Daughter... My Shelby, is just plain damned fun... No Grind... I have given it every chance to grind into 2nd. Now, I have missed 3rd a couple of times, but putting in the Shelby short-throw fixed that, and changing the tranny fluid for something better made that even better. I've driven and owned many sports/muscle cars over the years, but nothing gives me wood like my Shelby...

awesome! very satisfying when you find something that just works for you like that

+1...never have trouble shifting ( my GT500..short throw is nice, if you understand it, are familiar with it.)

However, I am not hitting corners on a track, at high speeds, in sub-par seats, where critical heel-toe downshifts are required while being thrown out of seats that SHOULD be much better ( at least an option ).

But for the money, no better car for shear straight line acceleration & brute force...especially when you live right around the corner from Shelby American and can start with a Ford Shelby GT500 then when ready, have them "Super Snake" it or beyond...

And BTW...aside from the "rocky" start,...after just sharing my observation (post#88), then being rudely attacked for it, lol... I have just been amusing myself & messing with the ensuing responses, which is what I was doing in my last...

... not the individuals , but the responses to my posts, since most of us have never met or know each other. I find these auto forums get a bit droll without some friendly fire & passion, every now and then!

NO car is any better than another, may have finer points in certain applications, but "rides" are, in the end, an "emotional" choice / attraction and sometimes even an extension of personality.

I am not a brand loyalist, just a car enthusiast & speed / handling "junkie". When I am in my GT500 a certain side of me is engaged ...and then my M3, appeals to something else.

It's all good

Archived