TEAM SHELBY FORUM

50 YEARS OLD

This story of my friend Scotty that turned 50 last April has put a cloud on my evening. :( Life is so short, and you just never know when it's your time.

Please Read.

In 2004 I hired a Carpenter on one of my jobs. A friend of mine told me to give him a try...so I did. He was a good worker and was on my carpenter crew for many months. Our company has kept him busy ever since. His name is Scotty, and I had very limited interaction with him on that job, because I was the Supt and had many duties. His immediate supervisor was the Foreman....who worked for me.

Flash forward to August 2009 when I got laid off as a Supervisor due to the economy and got put on a job to go back to work as a Union Journeyman carpenter. I was on that 5 story building for 10 months and was the lead man on a 5 man concrete forming crew. Scotty was on that crew. Carpenters work in 2 man teams most of the time, and Scotty asked me if he could be my partner and asked me if I would teach him the ins and outs of forming concrete walls. He said he was a little rusty on it and had not done it very much. I partnered up with Scotty and worked with him for the entire 10 months on that job. I showed him everything I knew about forming the walls and he showed me many tricks of the trade too. That's what Union brothers do. We became good friends and when you work with someone day in and day out for 10 months...you get to know them pretty well. Heck, We had lunch and coffee break every day together. We became good friends.

Today my wife told me that Scotty was sick last week and that he went to the doctor to see what was wrong. The doctor told him that he has cancer all over his body and that he has 6 weeks to live. I just got the news and am planning to go see him. I'm gathering my thoughts on this and it's going to be hard to see him. Any words of wisdom from you guys would be welcomed.

Last April it was Scottys birthday and I brought him a cake to the jobsite and we had it at lunch with the crew. Scotty is 50 and he was one of the best partners I have had the pleasure to work with. Here's some pic's of me giving him that cake at work and us on the job.

002-13.jpg

003-13.jpg

004-12.jpg

018-7.jpg

017-7.jpg

Rob, all I can say is that sucks. When this happened to me I just let the other guy take the lead. Talk. A lot. Visit often if you can as long as the family will allow. I know you have a distance problem, so phone calls and up-beat cards and letters will help.

I'm back in the NW till I fly back to AZ on Tuesday Morning 1/4/11. My plan is to see him before I fly back to AZ. Maybe even tomorrow if he will let me come over to his house. I appreciate your advice. Scotty loves Cheese burgers. He ate them everyday on his way home from work. That's why the cake I had made ....looked like a cheese burger and fries. I'm going to bring some cheese burgers with me to his house. I heard his kids live in AZ and are arriving tomorrow, so I'm not sure how that timing will work out. I will be working in AZ for 2 more months from what I have been told.

Don't worry Rob you will figure it out when you visit him. You guys were partners on a construction site; you had his back and he yours it will be OK.

Your right Glen.

I just spent the last 1/2 hour talking to him on the phone. Scotty got sick 2 weeks ago and they hit him with 3 days of Kimo last Sunday to Tuesday. That finished 2 days ago. He said the cancer is in his neck and Chest and limp nodes. He has not had any visitors and is at home. He did not want me to come over, but after talking to him for a spell...he wants to see me. He told me he has not had his burger King Cheese burgers in weeks, so I'm bringing a bag of them with me. Milkshakes too !!!! It's time for some friendship.

Hey Rob,

Happy Birthday and I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Perhaps a road trip with the Shelby is in order - take him for a nice long ride - I bet that would put a smile on his face! It's those little things that make someone's day and life.

Sam

Some of this post is Spiritual.

I just got back from a wonderful visit with my friend Scotty. I did not go alone; the Lord led me.

Anyways, Scotty told me that he was feeling better than he had in 3 weeks and that he was up to eating lunch with me. Double Cheese burgers with fries and milkshakes was a big hit. We sat in his room during lunch and talked for 2-1/2 hours. Scotty explained to me that the cancer was in his limph nodes in his neck, lungs and that they found a small spot in his back. He has 3 3 day rounds of Kimo set up every 3 weeks. I told him I would be there for him. 1/2 way thru my visit I had an opportunity to talk about God. He was very open and willing to hear what I had to say. Scotty did not know what the Trinity is and we spent some time talking about that and I explained to him who Jesus is. We talked at length about this and I explained to him that he never has to feel lonely and that there is hope.

I asked Scotty if he wanted to accept the Lord as his personal savior and I told him what that means. Scotty had tears in his eyes and said yes.

I told Scotty that the bible tells us that if we confess with our mouth to the Lord Jesus and believe that God has raised Him from the dead....that he will be saved.

I then said this prayer with him as I held his hands and he confessed with his mouth:

"Father, I know that I have broken your laws and my sins have separated me from you. I am truly sorry, and now I want to turn away from my past sinful life toward you. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that your son, Jesus Christ died for my sins, was resurrected from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send your Holy Spirit to help me obey You, and to do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen."

We talked about many things after that and I could tell that he was feeling much better inside. I told him that I would be sending him a bible in the mail with some other reading material Monday.

It's funny how things in life happen. If I would of not lost my job and gone back to work as a carpenter, I would of never of been partnered up with Scotty and got to know him so well. Well enough that he would let me into his personal life at this time of need. Well enough for me to want to go visit him and to think that his eternal destination was changed today by that visit. I take no credit for this. The Lord calls us...we don't call Him and he uses His people in many different ways to help Him do his work.

heroo.jpg

Rob:

So sorry to hear about Scotty's prognosis. I remember you speaking of him fondly at one of our gettogethers this last summer. I hope you can distract his mind as I am sure he must have many negative things floating around in it at this point.

I believe that when people come to this point in their lives they question their time on this planet. Translated, did they do anything significant with their short time here. Take him a picture of the parking garage you both worked on together and let him know that his impact on your life and the community he lived in will last a long time.

I hope you can find some time in this day to appreciate all the things and people YOU also influenced as well, me being one of them.

Rich

SLC

Update on my friend.

Today I had a very fun drive in my sons 96 Mustang GT out to Dundee Oregon to visit Scotty again. I drove the car out there yesterday too. I put 200 very fun miles on that car the last 2 days. It drives and preforms very good, and the stereo is excellent. That old car impresses me on how it rides and handles.

I arrived at Scottys house at about 4:30 with more cheese burgers and fries and milk shakes. We ate dinner while we watched the History channel and chatted. Scotty was feeling even better today than he was yesterday. His brother Doug was over for lunch from what he told me..... he brought burgers too. Scotty said that I must of un corked his burger appetite yesterday when I came over with a bag of them. It was good to see him feeling so well. I gave Scotty a bible and a daily devotional that will teach him how to use it and apply it to his life. The book gives the new reader suggested ways to pray and ties it into that days scripture. I told Scotty that he is going to need allot of strength and hope over the next few months and that these 2 books will help him get it. He gave me a great big bear hug when I left, and I could tell he's encouraged.

002-3.jpg

Rob, a VERY happy birthday to you!

I am left speechless and saddened by the story of your friend.

But looking back at the story of you guys meeting and then again at the story of your last visit...well, they say everything happens for a reason. I'm glad that what seemed like a work friendship could become such a profound meaningful friendship later. You're a good man Rob.

50 YEARS OLD

Well…..It’s here !!!! The only birthdays that I ever thought twice about was 16, 21 & 40. ....................

Happy belated Birthday. You're right about only certain years have any real significance.

16 was the year I gained my "freedom" and could legally drive. :shift:

18 was kinda scary as I had to register for the draft. My number was pretty high but I joined the military a few years later anyways. :salute:

21 meant I could, again legally, buy alcohol. Wasn't as big a deal as I thought it was goint to be. :(

25 meant my car insurance dropped, a significant achievement to a guy driving a 1970 428 SCJ Mustang at the time B).

35 meant I could finally run for President (yeah, right...LOL) :doh:

40 was very non-dramatic as I still felt and acted as though I was in my 30's. :rant2:

50 was also non-dramatic as I still felt and acted as though I was in my 40's (LOL). I also got a free AARP membership card for 3 months.

While I may not agree with their politics, I sure do enjoy the discounts and have been a member ever since. :mail:

55 meant another big drop in my auto insurance. Little did they know I'm still a hot rodder at heart and enjoy a fast ride in a poweful car. <_<

60 is a little over a year away but I'm looking forward to retirement. :dreamy:

Archived