TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Warning on Traction Control

Lutzcat

Great thread guys! I have been very curious about the handling of these cars and you have all provided some great insight. Has anyone here taken their car to one of the closed track driving school where you can drive your own car? I would like to do this and am looking for something in the Southeast (I live in Memphis). I want to get the feel for my car in a relatively safe environment.

Five Oh B - Was the school worth your time when you did it? Also, I am getting a vert so I am not sure if that plays into whether they will let you use your car on the track or not.

Thanks and any references would be appreciated.

Five Oh B - Was the school worth your time when you did it? Also, I am getting a vert so I am not sure if that plays into whether they will let you use your car on the track or not.

Thanks and any references would be appreciated.

The Bondurant track was well worth my time. I learned a lot (and I thought I knew a lot before going), so I believe anyone will get valuable training (novice, expert, and everyone in between). There are other similar schools (i.e. Skip Barber) and many local race tracks offer driving schools. Check with your local road race course or dragstrip.

This is a great post for those of us with less experience.

Thanks guys. More on this would be appreciated. Even some driving advice as I haven't got behind the wheel of mine yet. (Husband is the driver)

I want to drive it but realize the power and sure don't want to wreck it or anyone else's vehicle.

I'm not a bad driver with a car but I haven't got rocket experience.

I must admit that before I got the car, I was apprehensive. The most powerful car I'd owned is my '69 Camaro (about 375 HP and a "peaky" power band). I thought the GT500 would be SO powerful that I'd be afraid to drive it. Not so. This car is refined enough (as are all cars today) that any person IMO could drive this car without "getting into trouble" so long as you are judicious with the GO-Pedal.

In other words...if you never push the pedal more than about 60% down, you'd never know you had 500 HP...it feels more like a Mustang GT. Just watch that last 40%. :ohsnap:

Don't be afraid to drive it. My cautions to new drivers of high-perf cars are these:

1. Don't drink before you get behind the wheel of this (or any) car. It's dangerous with ANY car...but with this one...the results could be much worse depending on your decision-making abililty.
  2. Always test the limits with no obstacles around
  3. The most "worriesome" time is punching the gas with the steering wheel in a "non-centered" position. That can create a frenzy of physical occurrences that you'll need to deal with using a combination of brakes, steering, clutch, and potentially a diaper.
  4. Always be aware of road conditions....don't think the car will behave the same in rain that it does when dry.
  5. And my favorite (I use this in my woodshop when dealing with tools that can cut your arm off in an instant)....always take a minute to think to yourself "what are all the things that COULD go wrong if I try this?" before trying an unusual maneuver.

AD

The traction control in the Cobra's are 'liberal', meaning that they were designed with the intention of trying to save you in a bad scenario, but allow you to have fun at the same time. For instance, you can lay a burnout, but if you start going too far sideways it will then kick in and retard the ignition and start shutting you down to help correct. It works especially well in the rain. Some of you guys may feel like your traction control does or doesn't work, and for those that don't I highly recommend taking your car out to a large open lot and seeing where the threshholds of your car are and what it can do so you are ready for the unknown when it happens. (getting sideways with 500hp and correcting it)

See, the thing about Traction Control is it's a double edged sword. Yes in some instances it can certainly help, but I have had instances where it almost killed me. When you are in dire need of all your power, applied to the pavement, and have to get out of a bad situation or around something that is about to go really wrong, and your engine bogs down and that TC light comes on you will really know true fear for your baby!!!

After that happened to me, I took my car out (04 Cobra) to a nice big lot and put it through it's paces to know where and how it reacted with the TC on and off. I severely encourage all of you to explore the reasonable limits of your car so you can use it as an extention of your hand when the time comes and your life is on the line.

If you keep your car in the garage and drive it too rarely, you will have scary moments like the original one in this thread because you aren't used to the power, the car, or what it's going to do when the pulse is pounding and you drop the hammer at an odd angle.

Peace and be safe, just thought I'd offer my .02 cents in this interesting thread.

GLAD YOUR CAR AND YOU ARE SAFE!!

I can get my stock GT500 to spin its tires on the highway in the rain in 4th gear at 60 mph with the TC on. That doesn't seem right to me.

:unsure:

As a public service - here's the result of adding too much hp without learning the limits of your car.

My first "at fault" accident - and my last.

RUF - It's still good looking in that condition. What is you delivery date from the body shop?

hsurb

I can get my stock GT500 to spin its tires on the highway in the rain in 4th gear at 60 mph with the TC on. That doesn't seem right to me.

:unsure:

The TC in Mustangs is set for performance and is labeled as a "power start" feature. Essentially, what this means is that the computer will use the ABS sensors to compare tire speed to the acclerometer's measurement of actual vehicle speed to see if there is a discrepency. As long as "enough" forward acceleration is measured, the TC system will allow wheelspin as it assumes you're heavy into the throttle on purpose and you're getting somewhat decent traction. However, if the computer determines that the tires are spinning way faster than the car is going (read: sloppy weather or traction), then it will intervene by 1) reducing initial timing, 2) reducing fuel, and 3) applying rear brakes as needed to control the spin.

So, if you're going 60 in the rain in 4th, then hammer it and the wheels start to spin, as long as there is enough associated acceleration then the TC will allow you to spin. If you started spinning and the car did not gain speed, then the TC would intervene. It's a very fine line between intervention and no intervention and the computer is assessing the situation 100 times per second and can react in less than one revolution of the tire if it needs to.

For those of you who don't know if your TC is working, then from a standing start (preferably on wet pavement, but dry is OK with 500hp on tap) rev up the car then side step the clutch and purposely try to bake the tires as hard as you can. The TC should intervene and you'll feel the car fall flat on its face as the spark, fuel, and brakes are adjusted by the computer.

Tim - It's looking like Wed or Thurs for completion of the makeover.

I'm not sure if TCS would have prevented my issue - but better common sense would.

I will never - ever - forget that day.

It could have been much worse - but that was the first time I've ever hit anything....

How's our dinner shaping up?

As a public service - here's the result of adding too much hp without learning the limits of your car.

My first "at fault" accident - and my last.

Makes me queasy looking at that Ruf. :wacko: Like watching one of those real life surgery shows. Feels like I'm seeing parts and pieces that I wasn't meant to see. :nonono:

I've yet to use my TCS. I do know the feeling of going sideways and it's a scarry feeling. If I understand correctly when the TCS is on it will prevent one side from pulling doesn't it?

Well I found out something new this morning. I pulled my Shelby out of the garage and let run for a while. It was great starting it up, sitting in it even just in my driveway. Listening to Pat Bennatar sitting in my Shelby.... :wub: well enough of that. I pressed the TCS button on the dash for the first time this morning and found out just the opposite of what I thought. :doh: By pressing the button it doesn't turn the TCS on it shuts it off. So the time I was going sideways it was with the TCS on not off. I read the manual last October, but I guess I need to read it again. I can't imagine what would have happened to me that day had I shut the TCS off before trying to get a chirp in second for my son. Need to read the book again.

Great words of wizdom, Dave! If everyone followed these rules to live by, we wouldn't see so many wrecked threads

:hysterical2:

rpetzel has a VIN!!!!

:banana piano: :banana piano: :banana piano: :banana piano: :banana piano: :banana piano: :banana piano: :banana piano: :banana piano: :banana piano: :banana piano: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :redcard::ohsnap: :bowdown: :backtotopic:

Way to go Buddy. :yahoo::yup: :beerchug: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Tim - It's looking like Wed or Thurs for completion of the makeover.

I'm not sure if TCS would have prevented my issue - but better common sense would.

I will never - ever - forget that day.

It could have been much worse - but that was the first time I've ever hit anything....

How's our dinner shaping up?

Ruf - still planning on the dinner. Just haven't scheduled the trip. I'm trying to tie it into two other work stops. I'll keep you posted.

Anxious to see pics of the makeover.

HSURB

Archived