TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tunnel to Towers Run 2011! 9/25/2011

Good Morning,

As many of you may be aware, there is an event run each September in NYC to commemorate the heroic acts on September 11, 2001 of NYC Firefighter Stephen Siller.

While the heroic acts from 9/11 of all FDNY, Police and EMS are commemorated at this event, it is the sole actions of Stephen from that tragic day that have inspired this event.

A little background.....

Stephen Siller, beloved husband and father of five, was a firefighter from Squad 1, Park Slope Brooklyn. On 9/11, he was off-duty, and on his way to play golf with his 3 older brothers.

When Stephen heard on his scanner that the World Trade Center had been hit, he turned his vehicle around and headed towards the site. When his truck was prohibited from entering the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel, typically of him, he raced on foot through the tunnel towards the site in full Firefighter emergency gear.

He was last seen alive on West and Liberty Streets where he, went looking for his Squad, all of whom perished. The Tunnel to Towers Run retraces Stephen's footsteps on that fateful day.

In running along his path, we honor the memory of all the Firefighters, Police, and EMS workers who performed their duty that day. In running this race, we are reclaiming still another part of the city for all our heroes and for all of those who died on 9/11.

They will never be forgotten!

As stated above, the event retraces Stephen's steps through the tunnel and up West Street to the Ground Zero site.

While I have never run a 5k (3.1 miles) event in my life, I intend to participate in this event next September to honor those who gave their lives in the line of duty that faithful day.

The course starts at Coffey Park in Red Hook Brooklyn on the Brooklyn side of the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel, heads through the tunnel and ends at Ground Zero.

The course can be run, jogged, or walked....dont be put off cause they call it a race, it is not.

This year, firefighters and servicemen and women from around ther globe participated.........next year, I will be there.

Here is the website for the event, http://www.tunneltotowersrun.org/

Please join Dale and I on September 25, 2011 for this 5k run to honor those courageous men and women!

Good Morning,

As many of you may be aware, there is an event run each September in NYC to commemorate the heroic acts on September 11, 2001 of NYC Firefighter Stephen Siller.

While the heroic acts from 9/11 of all FDNY, Police and EMS are commemorated at this event, it is the sole actions of Stephen from that tragic day that have inspired this event.

A little background.....

Stephen Siller, beloved husband and father of five, was a firefighter from Squad 1, Park Slope Brooklyn. On 9/11, he was off-duty, and on his way to play golf with his 3 older brothers.

When Stephen heard on his scanner that the World Trade Center had been hit, he turned his vehicle around and headed towards the site. When his truck was prohibited from entering the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel, typically of him, he raced on foot through the tunnel towards the site in full Firefighter emergency gear.

He was last seen alive on West and Liberty Streets where he, went looking for his Squad, all of whom perished. The Tunnel to Towers Run retraces Stephen's footsteps on that fateful day.

In running along his path, we honor the memory of all the Firefighters, Police, and EMS workers who performed their duty that day. In running this race, we are reclaiming still another part of the city for all our heroes and for all of those who died on 9/11.

They will never be forgotten!

As stated above, the event retraces Stephen's steps through the tunnel and up West Street to the Ground Zero site.

While I have never run a 5k (3.1 miles) event in my life, I intend to participate in this event next September to honor those who gave their lives in the line of duty that faithful day.

The course starts at Coffey Park in Red Hook Brooklyn on the Brooklyn side of the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel, heads through the tunnel and ends at Ground Zero.

The course can be run, jogged, or walked....dont be put off cause they call it a race, it is not.

This year, firefighters and servicemen and women from around ther globe participated.........next year, I will be there.

Here is the website for the event, http://www.tunneltotowersrun.org/

Please join Dale and I on September 25, 2011 for this 5k run to honor those courageous men and women!

Wish I were there Wick I would go...Can't think of a better cause bud.... :salute:

Archived