TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Comparison of GT500 to S-GT

07 SHELBY AZ

.....hmmm, now add a supercharger making 470 HP and a comprable brake package to the Shelby GT and let's retest......

Agreed!!!! :happy feet:

But the only question is what will this cost? Did SAI quote you prices yet for the S/C? Brakes?

How much for those 2 mods? :idea:

Your profile says your car is at SAI waiting for these mods.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the poster of this topic has good ponts. I also think that part of the reason i really do believe him is simple. Its alot harder to 'USE" the gt 500 performance on the street.The car is geared so high, its got aslmost too much power for sprint driving while your in any kind of traffic.Ive noticed that .By the time your on the gas, its time to brake hard. The gt however is a fun car with the power right where you want it and its lowered to give you that right feeling while running the car fast on the street.

I know exactly what hes talking about.

My point exactly! I think the GT500 is a great car , however it's power is not as usable for the street. When you look at the stats you see that 0-60 , quarter mile times and weight distribution are really what you use on the street and for these values the two cars are very cloce. The areas where the GT500 dominates are areas that really apply to the drag strip. Even on a road course the two cars are pretty close due to the better weight distribution and balance of the SGT. If I were going to use the car primarily for dragstrip use I would go for the GT500, however I still believe the SGT is a better all round car for the street ,both for stop light contests and road carving. And yes I have driven both.

Long live both the SGT and the GT500!

I don't want to start (or add to) any flames going on here...just want to thank 07 Shelby AZ for giving us his honest opinion between the two cars. I was originally hoping to get a GT 500 as I think it is the overall best Mustang ever made...unfortunately for me I could swing the MSRP price for a GT 500 but haven't been able to find anyone willing to sell me one at that price. So I have a Shelby GT sitting in Las Vegas waiting to be delivered to me.

RE: The differences between the SGT and the GT500, I've only driven a SGTH (anybody want to let me drive their GT500??!!!) :hyper: .

The SGTH was fun, quick and well-balanced. Definitely a great car w/the exception of the brakes and piece of s*it auto trans as mentioned by others.

With a 5spd, the trans shouldn't be a prob. Brakes for $ can be fixed.

When comparing the two (ON PAPER!) the GT500 kills the SGT in what one gets for the $. If we work solely from MSRP, at about 42K for the GT500, and about 39K for the SGT, it is not even close! Yes, I know one can not get a GT500 for MSRP now, but maybe someday? And even the SGT's aren't flowing everywhere at MSRP either.

GT500 = completely different body parts, 5.4 "GT(40)" head engine, S/C, Brembo's, 6spd HD, suspension mods.

SGT = some limited body mods, regular 4.6 engine w/cold air pack, no S/C, no brakes, regular 5 spd, suspension mods.

So, for the approx. $3,000 extra one gets thousands of dollars (maybe 10K?) of ex

So which one would I rather have? Probably the SGT!

When I was a kid, I loved the GT350 due to its ability to be a lean mean track car for the street, not really a poser like some of the other cars (and even later model Shelby's) that could only go fast in a straight line. When the news of the "new" GT500 came along many years back, I thought Wow!, finally my chance to own a new Shelby Mustang!!! Yea!!!

Since the car has come out, it has been shown to have great performance and I think we all agree - a beautiful car. However, then I've come to realize two points that have taken the luster off of the idea for me.

The first is the extreme weight of almost 3900 lbs and the inherent weight bias toward the front axle. Again, the original idea of the Shelbys was to be lighter, lower, better handling than the production Mustang and would therefore handle better and be more agile around a race track (or act like it on the street). Remember the B Production titles! Current BMW's with the similar weight and HP also seem to have better performance than the GT500 (M5, M6). So, I've kind of wondered why isn't the GT500 faster?

The second thing is the feeding frenzy at the dealerships. It's like they're insulted if one doesn't beg them to let us buy one from them @ 25K over! Well, excuse me! I'm not even really talking ADM's here, but the arrogance of dealers who I've dealt with before and were actually quite pleasant, but have now morfed into "old used car salemen". Their attitude seems to have changed overnight.

But getting back to the cars themselves...

I remember the Boss 302 also, and again it was about the performance AND handling. The 2007 GT500 seems like an awesome looking, drag car, but throw it into a corner... I'm hoping that the new "Boss/Mach1/Bullitt" will keep the concept of lightweight small block tossibility in mind a la the original GT350 and Boss 302 (and for that matter the 68-69 Z28 Camaro). I guess the GT500 is more like a 428CJ Mach1, while what I was hoping for was a

Boss 302/65-66GT350.

So, the SGT. Well it fits that bill pretty well, still is pretty heavy @ almost 3600 lbs. And the bump in power to 319hp from 300 is even less than the 271 to 306 of the original, and no weight is lost anywhere in the process. I love the way the car sits (better than a GT500) and handles, but wish SAI could have given it more ooommph! Then the price @ about 39K with the interior upgrade - ouch. Regular Mustang GT's are so much cheaper and deals can be made on them. Maybe if the SGTs begin to fill the showrooms, there will be some "wiggle" $ room, but I don't think that's likely to happen.

I guess what I'd really like is a blending of the 2 cars - the balls, brakes, and trans of the GT500, and the lowered, lighter weight tossibility of the SGT.

How about a 400hp normally aspirated SGT with some light weight body parts or sound deadening removed, and good brakes! That's the ticket!

Before I get completely flamed, I really wish all those who have either car many happy miles of motoring. They are both better than any rice rockets out there in terms of appeal and class, and for that matter better than anything I get to drive on a daily basis. So, enjoy! And thanks Shelby AZ for giving us the input that not all of us are lucky enough to have!

To me it is like having to choose between hmmmm....Jessica Alba or Angelina Jolie. One may be lighter and not quite as powerful...but they are both pretty amazing.

O.K., which one is lighter with less power, Jessica Alba? I'll take her anyday over the more powerful and heavier Angelina! :headspin:

Very well said! I totally agree!

.....Shelby/Paxton supercharger is $4795 + $200 if you want it polished

.....Shelby/Baer brake package is $2000

Yes it will cost you more if Shelby or any other professional install the parts. However you could also spend less by buying different components. For instance the SVT/Brembo package cost $1500 from FRPP and probably less from other suppliers.

....but you know when all is said and done the car that fuels each individuals passion will be the better car to them know matter what the paper says.

Greetings All,

I think the magazines got a preproduction car that was detuned or not fully tuned by Ford. The magazine I read (think was Road and Track or C and D) said so themselves, that the numbers didnt add up to having all the GT500's ponies present. Ive seen quite a few vids of stock GT500s pulling mid to high 12's in the quarter. I have a feeling people are under estimating the acceleration speed of the GT500. JMHO :redcard:

The S-GT might be more fun to drive but only until you come up next to a GT500 sitting a a stop light. :hysterical2:

KC666

These forums are new to me. Sorry I have been commenting on arrival forum for replys to questions..oops . :banghead: As an owner of both a GT500, and a S-GT (both black coupes w/manual trans.) a member had asked me to describe the two cars. The only problem is I find myself driving the S-GT most of the time! The only time I drive the GT500 is when both are being driven (to car shows etc.) since my wife always takes the S-GT first! Even my 7 year old son always wants to go in the S-GT (he loves the hood, and side scopes). I think SAI has made a winner! I am not sure if it’s the old school looks, the throaty sound of the exhaust, the Hurst shifter, sitting lower (1” in the front, and 1.5” in the rear) or just looking more aggressive (black wheels and all). Maybe it’s just a combination of everything. While driving the GT500 I have had my wife following me in the S-GT, and I find myself looking in the rear view mirror and liking what I see (wife included). The car looks down right mean coming at you. I for some reason find myself not missing the horsepower of the GT500. Call me shallow but the look of the car gets me every time. I have taken both to work before, and hands down all of my employees like the looks of the S-GT. As far as modifications to the car I was going to make a trip to Las Vegas (I live in Tucson, but have a home in Las Vegas) and have the super charger installed at SAI , but I am not sure now. The car seems, so perfect that I may leave it as is. I know many of the items I like about the S-GT can be added to the GT500, however why bother… the S-GT has it all already! I felt 10 years younger after driving the GT500, and 15 years younger in the S-GT! Maybe I need to drive the GT500 some more and my opinion may change, but I think I would miss the S-GT knowing it was still in the garage. For those of you looking for hard numbers for a comparison of the two cars buy a magazine…for those of you waiting or wanting a new Shelby buy a S-GT, and have fun. :shift:

Also being an owner of both, I see your points. The SGT is my preference from a looks and shifter standpoint, but the 500 is a beast. :happy feet:

Kingcobra666, just make sure that SGT you pull up next to at the stop light does not have the S/C option before you embarass yourself! SGT with S/C will in all probability blow away the GT500 on the street as well as on any track, IMHO.

An interesting show for "Pinks". Anybody want to put their car up?

I want a SGT but I can't afford one right now. Maybe if they were MSRP.

Blah, blah, blah. LOL

Really, I would like to have one as (being the wife) I don't need 500HP and I would be more comfortable taking the SGT out.

The Shelby GT500 (sitting in the garage right now) is my husband's dream come true and I won't get to play with it much. I think a husband and wife set would be great.

Performance wise - maybe the GT500 is a little too much for most.

Kingcobra666, just make sure that SGT you pull up next to at the stop light does not have the S/C option before you embarass yourself! SGT with S/C will in all probability blow away the GT500 on the street as well as on any track, IMHO.

With only a couple minor mods to the GT500, a SC SGT wouldn't have any kind of chance just about anytime, unless you go into the bottom end of the engine on the SGT and replace pistons, rods, etc, etc. Unless you are road racing and have Big budget, the GT500 will spank SGT every time. I think the GT500 looks allot better than the SGT as well. I don't see how the stock hood on the SGT with the pop riveted hood scoop even compares, is it even functional? I guess if you don't like the rear spoiler look, the SGT wins on that one. I do think the SGT has a better ride height. I think the SGT is a great car, and owning a SGT and a GT500 would be great. For me the choice was very easy, GT500.

I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is at any drag strip in St. Louis area.

I have neither cars. At least not yet. I will agree the GT500 is defianetly more powerful and faster. Either in a straight line or probably even around a track with a fair bit of straight aways. However, the Shelby GT should handle the twist and turns a bit better as they are. Styling, stance and options are subjective and no sense in trying to say the Shelby GT looks better.

However, I want to throw a twist and make these cars comprable. Lets add the Shelby/Paxton Supercharger and Shelby/Baer brakes onto a Shelby GT. You could use other brands but I'm keeping it all in the family. The numbers (from Motortrend):

.....................Weight.....Wt Dist f/r.....HP......Wt/pwr......Lat Acc......Turning circle

Shelby GT.......3536.......54/46........470......7.52 lb/Hp........0.91......37.7

GT500.............3896.......58/42..........500......7.8 lb/hp...........0.90....37.0

*Shelby GT with Supercharger & brakes will be slightly heavier. submit by the numbers a supercharged Shelby GT will stand up pretty well against the GT500.

There are no braking numbers for the a Shelby GT with a brake package but it should be similar if not better than the GT500 because of weight. Also SAI hasn't provided torque numbers for a supercharged Shelby GT. I admit that if both cars could be bought at MSRP the GT500 has a better HP for the money argument. However, the GT500s ADMs are still 2-3 times higher than the Shelby GT and who cares about money in a comparison test.

Lastly, I will see about getting more accurate numbers after my supercharged Shelby GT arrives. Maybe a well respected magazine would like to compare. I only ask for a picture of the Shelby serial number to document. :hysterical2:

I have neither cars. At least not yet. I will agree the GT500 is defianetly more powerful and faster. Either in a straight line or probably even around a track with a fair bit of straight aways. However, the Shelby GT should handle the twist and turns a bit better as they are. Styling, stance and options are subjective and no sense in trying to say the Shelby GT looks better.

However, I want to throw a twist and make these cars comprable. Lets add the Shelby/Paxton Supercharger and Shelby/Baer brakes onto a Shelby GT. You could use other brands but I'm keeping it all in the family. The numbers (from Motortrend):

.....................Weight.....Wt Dist f/r.....HP......Wt/pwr......Lat Acc......Turning circle

Shelby GT.......3536.......54/46........470......7.52 lb/Hp........0.91......37.7

GT500.............3896.......58/42..........500......7.8 lb/hp...........0.90....37.0

*Shelby GT with Supercharger & brakes will be slightly heavier. submit by the numbers a supercharged Shelby GT will stand up pretty well against the GT500.

There are no braking numbers for the a Shelby GT with a brake package but it should be similar if not better than the GT500 because of weight. Also SAI hasn't provided torque numbers for a supercharged Shelby GT. I admit that if both cars could be bought at MSRP the GT500 has a better HP for the money argument. However, the GT500s ADMs are still 2-3 times higher than the Shelby GT and who cares about money in a comparison test.

Lastly, I will see about getting more accurate numbers after my supercharged Shelby GT arrives. Maybe a well respected magazine would like to compare. I only ask for a picture of the Shelby serial number to document. :hysterical2:

Alright, you want to compare a SGT that you can not even buy, to a stock GT500. I reallize the SC is purchased through Shelby, but as far as I know you can't have one shipped to your local dealer with a SC, just like you can't have the aluminum block on the GT500 from the factory. Your not accounting for the weight of an upgraded cooling system/inter cooler and your not showing the weight of the SGT with a SC and brake package. If your numbers were correct, the ADM's would be the other way around, plain and simple.

Why do you want to call one car better than the other? There both Shelby Mustangs and they are different :hysterical:

......I can't buy a supercharged Shelby GT???? I have a Shelby GT at the front of the line at SAI for the supercharger.

No you can't have a dealer delivered Shelby GT ordered with a supercharger. But SAI is offering two cool things that you really can't buy with a GT500. They will either ship the car directly to my house or, as I am doing, you can go to the SAI factory, have a guided tour and pick your car up at the factory. Can a GT500 owner even get on the grounds at Flat Rock?

No I didn't add the weight onto the Shelby GT but I tried to indicate that with the asterisk and my last remark about having it tested when it arrives. I am not trying to skew numbers. Simply, nobody has them yet. BUT do you think the supercharger, intercoller, and brake package weigh 360 pounds. Heck, the 20" razors most of the people are choosing to add after the brake package weigh less than the 18" bullets.

About your ADMs. I can only compare numbers in SoCal. I understand they are higher than most other places but they should be proportional. On Average, dealers in SoCal are still asking $20K ADM on the GT 500. And on average, they are asking about $10K ADM on the Shelby GT. Yes I have seen ADMs on both cars for less and for more. I bought my Shelby GT at MSRP from my delaer who had a GT500 sitting in their showroom for $20K ADM. Now using the respective ADMS and add Shelby GTs supercharger, brakes and wheels.

GT500: $42K + $20K ADM = $62K.

Shelby GT: $39K (my MSRP) + $10K ADM + $12K options = $61K.

Blayne, I find your last line a bit puzzling: "Why do you want to call one car better than the other? There both Shelby Mustangs and they are different." My tounge in cheek comment about appearences was the only thing close to saying one was better than the others. I just want to make a bit more interesting and use cars with comprable performance. What I find interesting about your last line is this:

"With only a couple minor mods to the GT500, a SC SGT wouldn't have any kind of chance just about anytime, unless you go into the bottom end of the engine on the SGT and replace pistons, rods, etc, etc. Unless you are road racing and have Big budget, the GT500 will spank SGT every time. I think the GT500 looks allot better than the SGT as well. I don't see how the stock hood on the SGT with the pop riveted hood scoop even compares, is it even functional? I guess if you don't like the rear spoiler look, the SGT wins on that one. I do think the SGT has a better ride height. I think the SGT is a great car, and owning a SGT and a GT500 would be great. For me the choice was very easy, GT500.

I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is at any drag strip in St. Louis area."

-Blayne9067

Who is calling one better than the other?

I don't think that one is better than the other. I guess I was a little defensive after reading some of the comments. I would be very proud to own a SGT as well as a GT500. I still wish we could race. Tell ya what, you post your 1/4 mile ET's and I will too. That would be a good comparison. Another good comparison would be for you to put your tunedSC SGT on a dyno and post the results, I will do the same. Does this sound fair to you? I would love to see the weight of your car, the way you have it. The best comparison because they are both S197's would be a wt/hp between the two cars, IMO, with a tuned GT500.

All is well. I would love to have both cars also. I will get my car weighed and dynoed after I have it all complete and broken in. I actually need to have the brakes installed after I get home because I bought my wheels from a different source and the brakes won't fit behind he 18" Bullets. I would love to run it on a 1/4 mile for a time but I don't think it would be very fair to the Shelby GT. I would be very tenative with the car because if I damage the engine it may not be covered by the warranty. That is one huge advantage to the GT500.

My peace said for the weekend. I am off to the races in Vegas. Drive on :shift:

Well, I've been to the local dealer and they have a black Shelby GT due in on 3/25. It will have CLOTH interior. The dealer quoted me $33,000, but of course he forgot about the Shelby add on. I'm guessing about 37,000.

I think the cloth will actually make it a little rare. Why do these cars have a Guzzler tax for just 19 HP extra??

I was also thinking of ordering a Premium GT with the Cold Air Package and FR Suspension package, dealer installed. A Shelby w/o all the stripes and badges and NO guzzler tax because it is dealer installed.

I guess in the end I'll buy the Shelby GT because it may hold value much better.

By the way, I'm getting this because I need something different from Boxsters that I've had since '99. My present one is an '04 Anniversary Edition, basically an S with 18s, sport suspension, wheel spacers and a slight HP bump. It also has sport seats and muffler.

Also being an owner of both, I see your points. The SGT is my preference from a looks and shifter standpoint, but the 500 is a beast. :happy feet:

My opinion exactly. They are both good, both different. I have driven both, I own a GT500 and a Hertz car. Both I bought using my $$ incase any of you think I got them as a perk or something. I love them both, I love driving both. They are different, as different as the 68 chevelle and 68 camaro I once owned. Both Great cars, just different. The debate should stay on which is preferable per owner. The debate on which Shelby is real is not valid. They are both Shelby's regardless of what some think.

Just my .02

Amy

These forums are new to me. Sorry I have been commenting on arrival forum for replys to questions..oops . :banghead: As an owner of both a GT500, and a S-GT (both black coupes w/manual trans.) a member had asked me to describe the two cars. The only problem is I find myself driving the S-GT most of the time! The only time I drive the GT500 is when both are being driven (to car shows etc.) since my wife always takes the S-GT first! Even my 7 year old son always wants to go in the S-GT (he loves the hood, and side scopes). I think SAI has made a winner! I am not sure if it’s the old school looks, the throaty sound of the exhaust, the Hurst shifter, sitting lower (1” in the front, and 1.5” in the rear) or just looking more aggressive (black wheels and all). Maybe it’s just a combination of everything. While driving the GT500 I have had my wife following me in the S-GT, and I find myself looking in the rear view mirror and liking what I see (wife included). The car looks down right mean coming at you. I for some reason find myself not missing the horsepower of the GT500. Call me shallow but the look of the car gets me every time. I have taken both to work before, and hands down all of my employees like the looks of the S-GT. As far as modifications to the car I was going to make a trip to Las Vegas (I live in Tucson, but have a home in Las Vegas) and have the super charger installed at SAI , but I am not sure now. The car seems, so perfect that I may leave it as is. I know many of the items I like about the S-GT can be added to the GT500, however why bother… the S-GT has it all already! I felt 10 years younger after driving the GT500, and 15 years younger in the S-GT! Maybe I need to drive the GT500 some more and my opinion may change, but I think I would miss the S-GT knowing it was still in the garage. For those of you looking for hard numbers for a comparison of the two cars buy a magazine…for those of you waiting or wanting a new Shelby buy a S-GT, and have fun. :shift:

I've had my black, 5-spd, Shelby GT for a little over 3 weeks now. I wasn't planning on getting one but I saw it in a dealer showroom and was blown away by it's looks. IMHO it is the best looking Mustang Ford has ever made. If I had the money I would have gotten a GT500 but I must admit, the Shelby GT really has a lot going for it in looks and handling. I know all the mods can be added to a regular GT but the S H E L B Y on the trunk lid (especially without a spoiler) just looks awesome. I've also gotten many compliments on the looks and sound of this Mustang. Sure I could add a S/C but I think my Shelby GT is just about perfect as is. Damn, I'm lucking to have one.

• 4 weeks later...
I've had my black, 5-spd, Shelby GT for a little over 3 weeks now. I wasn't planning on getting one but I saw it in a dealer showroom and was blown away by it's looks. IMHO it is the best looking Mustang Ford has ever made. If I had the money I would have gotten a GT500 but I must admit, the Shelby GT really has a lot going for it in looks and handling. I know all the mods can be added to a regular GT but the S H E L B Y on the trunk lid (especially without a spoiler) just looks awesome. I've also gotten many compliments on the looks and sound of this Mustang. Sure I could add a S/C but I think my Shelby GT is just about perfect as is. Damn, I'm lucking to have one.

+1. I need more info on the SC so I can decide if its going to happen.

• 4 weeks later...
Your comments are interesting but extremely misinformed. I refer you to the july 06 issue of Automobile magazine and the April issue of Motor Trend magazine for road test data to form an intelligent comparison between the GT500 tested by Motor Trend and the SGT tested by Automobile.

0-60 time SGT-5.0 ,GT500-4.9

Quarter mile SGT-13.6 sec/104.1mph GT500-13.1 sec/115mph

Lateral Acceleration SGT-.91g GT500.95g

Braking SGT 60-0 133ft GT500 70-0 169ft

Weight SGT 3536 GT500 3893 [most of the difference is over the front end]

Weight distr. fr to rear SGT 54/46 GT500 57.8/42.2

In many important areas these cars are close. Granted the GT500 is truly a great car but the SGT is real close in some ways.

Before you start cracking on someone for commenting on the SGT in comparison to theGT500 do some research so your opinion at least sound semi informed!

Well, there is one place they are not close, and that is price. For me (personally) the performance did not justify the additonal cost. However, I am not saying that I would not have purchased one if the additional cost was not meaningful to me. The GT500's are desirable cars, as are the GT's.

I have a Shelby GT500 and a GT/CS.

The GT/CS has 19 less HP than the Shelby GT

The GT/CS is a more agile car, but to tell you the truth, when I get in it after driving the GT500...It feels way different. The GT500's power and Boost from the SC sets the 2 apart by far. The extra weight of the GT500 gives it a more solid feel especially at high speeds. The clutch in the GT500 makes the GT/CS feel like a toy, and that extra gear sure is nice.

For the price the GT/CS is a great car....and it's no GT500, and I did'nt expect it to be. :)

The GT/CS is a more agile car, but to tell you the truth, when I get in it after driving the GT500...It feels way different. The GT500's power and Boost from the SC sets the 2 apart by far. The extra weight of the GT500 gives it a more solid feel especially at high speeds. The clutch in the GT500 makes the GT/CS feel like a toy, and that extra gear sure is nice.

For the price the GT/CS is a great car....and it's no GT500, and I did'nt expect it to be. :)

I'm confused...I thought we were comparing Shelby GT to GT500... a GT/CS is a stock GT w/ appearance items - different from a Shelby GT (i.e., no tuned CAI, no exhaust mods, no suspension mods, etc.) - correct or not?

I thought a GT/CS is a stock GT w/ appearance items - different from a Shelby GT (i.e., no tuned CAI, no suspension mods, etc.) - correct or not?

You are correct. The car is very similar however, and 19 less HP in the GT/CS is nothing. I have driven MasterMechs Shelby GT and is is very similar to the GT/CS.

You are correct. The car is very similar however, and 19 less HP in the GT/CS is nothing. I have driven MasterMechs Shelby GT and is is very similar to the GT/CS.

ummm...ok....

See this article, if you havent already (sorry if someone posted already)

Comparison

Nice article. I had not read it. Thanks. I am sure the Shelby GT will corner better than the standard GT any day of the week. However the ride is stiff and the standard GT will be much more comfortable on a longer trip. The stock GT500 is also a very smooth ride for longer trips.

• 5 weeks later...

Wow, "Nice Pair"! :bowdown:

I am debating the spoiler on the Shelby GT. Is the one you installed from Shelby or did you buy it elsewhere and have it installed locally? Was there an option to use the GT500 spoiler?

Thanks for posting the photos.

• 4 months later...

Archived