TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Comparison of GT500 to S-GT

07 SHELBY AZ

These forums are new to me. Sorry I have been commenting on arrival forum for replys to questions..oops . :banghead: As an owner of both a GT500, and a S-GT (both black coupes w/manual trans.) a member had asked me to describe the two cars. The only problem is I find myself driving the S-GT most of the time! The only time I drive the GT500 is when both are being driven (to car shows etc.) since my wife always takes the S-GT first! Even my 7 year old son always wants to go in the S-GT (he loves the hood, and side scopes). I think SAI has made a winner! I am not sure if it’s the old school looks, the throaty sound of the exhaust, the Hurst shifter, sitting lower (1” in the front, and 1.5” in the rear) or just looking more aggressive (black wheels and all). Maybe it’s just a combination of everything. While driving the GT500 I have had my wife following me in the S-GT, and I find myself looking in the rear view mirror and liking what I see (wife included). The car looks down right mean coming at you. I for some reason find myself not missing the horsepower of the GT500. Call me shallow but the look of the car gets me every time. I have taken both to work before, and hands down all of my employees like the looks of the S-GT. As far as modifications to the car I was going to make a trip to Las Vegas (I live in Tucson, but have a home in Las Vegas) and have the super charger installed at SAI , but I am not sure now. The car seems, so perfect that I may leave it as is. I know many of the items I like about the S-GT can be added to the GT500, however why bother… the S-GT has it all already! I felt 10 years younger after driving the GT500, and 15 years younger in the S-GT! Maybe I need to drive the GT500 some more and my opinion may change, but I think I would miss the S-GT knowing it was still in the garage. For those of you looking for hard numbers for a comparison of the two cars buy a magazine…for those of you waiting or wanting a new Shelby buy a S-GT, and have fun. :shift:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! One of each! Very Cool! I have not driven a GT 500, but I have driven a GT-H and I was so impressed, I ordered a GT convertible. I have the parts in my office right now to convert it as soon as arrives. I agree, the S-GT looks awesome in the rear view mirror. My brother-in-law rented a GT-H and he was following me on the interstate. My rear view mirror looked like that scene in Bullit and I was hooked!

07shelbyAZ,,

Thank you for your comments. I am sure this thread is about to become very popular and have an interesting debate.

Also, you made no error on the arrival forums. If anything I could have PM'd you for my questions and I was telling myself to let the thread get back to topic. I welcome you and hope you enjoy your cars. I am still envious of your garage.

These forums are new to me. Sorry I have been commenting on arrival forum for replys to questions..oops . :banghead: As an owner of both a GT500, and a S-GT (both black coupes w/manual trans.) a member had asked me to describe the two cars. The only problem is I find myself driving the S-GT most of the time! The only time I drive the GT500 is when both are being driven (to car shows etc.) since my wife always takes the S-GT first! Even my 7 year old son always wants to go in the S-GT (he loves the hood, and side scopes). I think SAI has made a winner! I am not sure if it’s the old school looks, the throaty sound of the exhaust, the Hurst shifter, sitting lower (1” in the front, and 1.5” in the rear) or just looking more aggressive (black wheels and all). Maybe it’s just a combination of everything. While driving the GT500 I have had my wife following me in the S-GT, and I find myself looking in the rear view mirror and liking what I see (wife included). The car looks down right mean coming at you. I for some reason find myself not missing the horsepower of the GT500. Call me shallow but the look of the car gets me every time. I have taken both to work before, and hands down all of my employees like the looks of the S-GT. As far as modifications to the car I was going to make a trip to Las Vegas (I live in Tucson, but have a home in Las Vegas) and have the super charger installed at SAI , but I am not sure now. The car seems, so perfect that I may leave it as is. I know many of the items I like about the S-GT can be added to the GT500, however why bother… the S-GT has it all already! I felt 10 years younger after driving the GT500, and 15 years younger in the S-GT! Maybe I need to drive the GT500 some more and my opinion may change, but I think I would miss the S-GT knowing it was still in the garage. For those of you looking for hard numbers for a comparison of the two cars buy a magazine…for those of you waiting or wanting a new Shelby buy a S-GT, and have fun. :shift:

Gret comments. I totally agree! I drove a GT-H for a week in Dec and immediately afterwards drove a GT500 for comparison . After driving both I ordered a GT. I found the GT much more drivable and better balanced, with a much more usable power band. The super charger in the GT500 just required a lot more attention in normal driving The extra 100lbs or so in the GT500 over the front wheels made a big difference to me in the way the GT500 handled in comparison to the GT. The GT felt much lighter on it's feet and much more neutral in the curves with less of a tendency towards understeer.The only real advantage to the GT500 was in straight line acceleration. :stats:

I don't understand your comment "The super charger in the GT500 just required a lot more attention in normal driving " In normal driving the SC requires zero attention, that's a fact any GT500 owner would agree to if the car had ever been driven. I'm very happy for you, someone letting you drive a GT500 for a comparison. Your comment on the SC makes me wonder WTF?

I don't understand your comment "The super charger in the GT500 just required a lot more attention in normal driving " In normal driving the SC requires zero attention, that's a fact any GT500 owner would agree to if the car had ever been driven. I'm very happy for you, someone letting you drive a GT500 for a comparison. Your comment on the SC makes me wonder WTF?

Gret comments. I totally agree! I drove a GT-H for a week in Dec and immediately afterwards drove a GT500 for comparison . After driving both I ordered a GT. I found the GT much more drivable and better balanced, with a much more usable power band. The super charger in the GT500 just required a lot more attention in normal driving The extra 100lbs or so in the GT500 over the front wheels made a big difference to me in the way the GT500 handled in comparison to the GT. The GT felt much lighter on it's feet and much more neutral in the curves with less of a tendency towards understeer.The only real advantage to the GT500 was in straight line acceleration. :stats:

It takes more attention to drive the Shelby GT-500 because it is considered a street legal race car...it has power and is built to be driven like a race car, not a Lexus!!!. The Shelby GT is a basic Mustang GT V-8 with some mods. Don't get me wrong if I couldn't afford the GT-500 I would have purchased the Shelby GT. The GT is the little brother/sister to the 500, is and always will be. They're all good!

Hey check it out. The 8 & 6 cylinder GT's just went on sale todayat your Ford dealership! I understand that they drive like a feather in the air. You might want to check them out ...low financing and discounts...don't have to worry about power and super chargers..don't miss the opportunity!

You like looking at that little Mustang medallion on the grill vs. the Cobra medallion...I understand...... WT*!

You like looking at that little Mustang medallion on the grill vs. the Cobra medallion...I understand...... WT*!

or despite the spin amy and others want to put on it, maybe he likes driving a true shelby, touched and finished at shelby...while you like the SVT cobra that happens to have adopted the shelby nameplate for this generation of SVT cobra's. to each his own.

the idea that shelby had anything but a paycheck coming for the current GT500 is hilarious.

or despite the spin amy and others want to put on it, maybe he likes driving a true shelby, touched and finished at shelby...while you like the SVT cobra that happens to have adopted the shelby nameplate for this generation of SVT cobra's. to each his own.

the idea that shelby had anything but a paycheck coming for the current GT500 is hilarious.

PLEASE, lets not go down that path again! Shelby had plenty to do with the GT500 and the GT. If it matters so much to you, all the performance and suspension parts added to the GT are FORD, not Shelby sourced. And do any of the GT owners think Carroll ever even touched thier car? Come on folks, that is not what this is about. I love seeing the Shelby brand on the street. It has great and very deserved respect. Something TRD will never buy, no matter how much money they throw at Nascar.

They are both fine automobiles. I dorve both as well (Well a GT-H actually) and HATED the GT-H but mostly because of the very slow response from the poor excuse for a transmission. That is not a difficluty with the GT.

Each person that owns one of these cars will feel they made the best decision. For them, they DID. The one fellow that owns both and preferrs the GT over the GT-500......well, I just dont get it but that is his opinion.

As you guys know I own a GT/CS also. A few weeks ago I drove it over to meet Putnamdo for lunch and he let me drive his GT500. I then got back in the GT and drove home. There is a very big difference. I want to get my inbound GT500 and log some miles on it before I give you my comparason impressions. I need to verify them with some miles to confirm my thoughts on this topic.

Let's keep this thread on topic and not get into a pissing match on who touched the Shelby's......please.

I don't want to start (or add to) any flames going on here...just want to thank 07 Shelby AZ for giving us his honest opinion between the two cars. I was originally hoping to get a GT 500 as I think it is the overall best Mustang ever made...unfortunately for me I could swing the MSRP price for a GT 500 but haven't been able to find anyone willing to sell me one at that price. So I have a Shelby GT sitting in Las Vegas waiting to be delivered to me.

To me it is like having to choose between hmmmm....Jessica Alba or Angelina Jolie. One may be lighter and not quite as powerful...but they are both pretty amazing.

They are both nice rides with individual appeal.

Agreed, I have a lot of people ask "why did you get two of them?". Although they are simular looking to a novice, the cars are very different. Hope people did not get the wrong impression, but I would not trade either for anything and I am greatful my wife was understanding in allowing me to get each. I am just waiting for the bump on my head to heal after asking for a third........ :finger: ! Oh ya I am greatful for one other thing...clear skies and a high of 78 degrees today! Wanna see..... check out the Golf channel.... PGA in town and weather is perfect! :hyper:

It takes more attention to drive the Shelby GT-500 because it is considered a street legal race car...it has power and is built to be driven like a race car, not a Lexus!!!. The Shelby GT is a basic Mustang GT V-8 with some mods. Don't get me wrong if I couldn't afford the GT-500 I would have purchased the Shelby GT. The GT is the little brother/sister to the 500, is and always will be. They're all good!

Your comments are interesting but extremely misinformed. I refer you to the july 06 issue of Automobile magazine and the April issue of Motor Trend magazine for road test data to form an intelligent comparison between the GT500 tested by Motor Trend and the SGT tested by Automobile.

0-60 time SGT-5.0 ,GT500-4.9

Quarter mile SGT-13.6 sec/104.1mph GT500-13.1 sec/115mph

Lateral Acceleration SGT-.91g GT500.95g

Braking SGT 60-0 133ft GT500 70-0 169ft

Weight SGT 3536 GT500 3893 [most of the difference is over the front end]

Weight distr. fr to rear SGT 54/46 GT500 57.8/42.2

In many important areas these cars are close. Granted the GT500 is truly a great car but the SGT is real close in some ways.

Before you start cracking on someone for commenting on the SGT in comparison to theGT500 do some research so your opinion at least sound semi informed!

I think the poster of this topic has good ponts. I also think that part of the reason i really do believe him is simple. Its alot harder to 'USE" the gt 500 performance on the street.The car is geared so high, its got aslmost too much power for sprint driving while your in any kind of traffic.Ive noticed that .By the time your on the gas, its time to brake hard. The gt however is a fun car with the power right where you want it and its lowered to give you that right feeling while running the car fast on the street.

I know exactly what hes talking about.

Good points in the original post.

Bad points re: which is the "real" Shelby and the difference in performance as tested by two different organizations at two different times.

It would be nice to be able to test drive these things before buying so we could make informed comparisons and decisions, but that's impossible. So, most people buy based on reputation or their perception of which is better...and if information comes along that contradicts their notions, then watch out. They'll lash out instead of admitting weakness where it exists. Or they'll go data mining in an attempt to support their original beliefs.

All of which I've never understood. Why be married to the brand or the model? Why does ego get wrapped up in your choice of car? It's not as if you designed and built the thing.

They are similar cars with some significant differences...and at different prices. I think it's clear what the objective differences are. It is less clear which differences will push your buttons once you get in and drive them.

Since you live Tucson why not join us @ http://www.southernarizonamustangclub.org/

:beatdeadhorse:

I am enjoying the bench racing and performance debate but I think we have answered the "real Shelby" thing in the past. I know the owner of the below car has:

Great point socaljafo. :yup:

That post cuts right to the heart of the matter. ;)

I don't want to start (or add to) any flames going on here...just want to thank 07 Shelby AZ for giving us his honest opinion between the two cars. I was originally hoping to get a GT 500 as I think it is the overall best Mustang ever made...unfortunately for me I could swing the MSRP price for a GT 500 but haven't been able to find anyone willing to sell me one at that price. So I have a Shelby GT sitting in Las Vegas waiting to be delivered to me.

RE: The differences between the SGT and the GT500, I've only driven a SGTH (anybody want to let me drive their GT500??!!!) :hyper: .

The SGTH was fun, quick and well-balanced. Definitely a great car w/the exception of the brakes and piece of s*it auto trans as mentioned by others.

With a 5spd, the trans shouldn't be a prob. Brakes for $ can be fixed.

When comparing the two (ON PAPER!) the GT500 kills the SGT in what one gets for the $. If we work solely from MSRP, at about 42K for the GT500, and about 39K for the SGT, it is not even close! Yes, I know one can not get a GT500 for MSRP now, but maybe someday? And even the SGT's aren't flowing everywhere at MSRP either.

GT500 = completely different body parts, 5.4 "GT(40)" head engine, S/C, Brembo's, 6spd HD, suspension mods.

SGT = some limited body mods, regular 4.6 engine w/cold air pack, no S/C, no brakes, regular 5 spd, suspension mods.

So, for the approx. $3,000 extra one gets thousands of dollars (maybe 10K?) of extras!

So which one would I rather have? Probably the SGT!

When I was a kid, I loved the GT350 due to its ability to be a lean mean track car for the street, not really a poser like some of the other cars (and even later model Shelby's) that could only go fast in a straight line. When the news of the "new" GT500 came along many years back, I thought Wow!, finally my chance to own a new Shelby Mustang!!! Yea!!!

Since the car has come out, it has been shown to have great performance and I think we all agree - a beautiful car. However, then I've come to realize two points that have taken the luster off of the idea for me.

The first is the extreme weight of almost 3900 lbs and the inherent weight bias toward the front axle. Again, the original idea of the Shelbys was to be lighter, lower, better handling than the production Mustang and would therefore handle better and be more agile around a race track (or act like it on the street). Remember the B Production titles! Current BMW's with the similar weight and HP also seem to have better performance than the GT500 (M5, M6). So, I've kind of wondered why isn't the GT500 faster?

The second thing is the feeding frenzy at the dealerships. It's like they're insulted if one doesn't beg them to let us buy one from them @ 25K over! Well, excuse me! I'm not even really talking ADM's here, but the arrogance of dealers who I've dealt with before and were actually quite pleasant, but have now morfed into "old used car salemen". Their attitude seems to have changed overnight.

But getting back to the cars themselves...

I remember the Boss 302 also, and again it was about the performance AND handling. The 2007 GT500 seems like an awesome looking, drag car, but throw it into a corner... I'm hoping that the new "Boss/Mach1/Bullitt" will keep the concept of lightweight small block tossibility in mind a la the original GT350 and Boss 302 (and for that matter the 68-69 Z28 Camaro). I guess the GT500 is more like a 428CJ Mach1, while what I was hoping for was a

Boss 302/65-66GT350.

So, the SGT. Well it fits that bill pretty well, still is pretty heavy @ almost 3600 lbs. And the bump in power to 319hp from 300 is even less than the 271 to 306 of the original, and no weight is lost anywhere in the process. I love the way the car sits (better than a GT500) and handles, but wish SAI could have given it more ooommph! Then the price @ about 39K with the interior upgrade - ouch. Regular Mustang GT's are so much cheaper and deals can be made on them. Maybe if the SGTs begin to fill the showrooms, there will be some "wiggle" $ room, but I don't think that's likely to happen.

I guess what I'd really like is a blending of the 2 cars - the balls, brakes, and trans of the GT500, and the lowered, lighter weight tossibility of the SGT.

How about a 400hp normally aspirated SGT with some light weight body parts or sound deadening removed, and good brakes! That's the ticket!

Before I get completely flamed, I really wish all those who have either car many happy miles of motoring. They are both better than any rice rockets out there in terms of appeal and class, and for that matter better than anything I get to drive on a daily basis. So, enjoy! And thanks Shelby AZ for giving us the input that not all of us are lucky enough to have!

To me it is like having to choose between hmmmm....Jessica Alba or Angelina Jolie. One may be lighter and not quite as powerful...but they are both pretty amazing.

O.K., which one is lighter with less power, Jessica Alba? I'll take her anyday over the more powerful and heavier Angelina! :headspin:

Archived