TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Perfect SGT Naturally Aspirated Street Car

I'm gonna try to get a ride in a 3:73 and 4:10 car at the Bash... I'd like to eventually supercharge, but the gears would be a nice cheap mod right now. I'd like to get gears that work well now, and make sense with a blower later.

I think the Bash (or Shelbyfest, or Terlingua, etc etc etc...) is a great time to share what works and what doesn't, as far as mods go.

And, if I ride in a Whipple 550 car, I'm sure I'll be throwing my Visa at that pretty quickly... hysterical.gif

Low-end TORQUE is MY drug. I''m "The King of Zero To The Speed Limit". LOL...

Jer

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So on that note, I've never been one for going used on such a... high dollar and seemingly volatile piece of equipment. But what IS the general concensus on USED Whipples? Are there many parts involved that can used to the point of abuse? Or are they pretty much bulletproof? I've pretty much reserved myself to biting the bullet and finding the best price I can on a new one, but if used ones are just as good and not really prone to issue... well then... maybe we'll be doing this a lot sooner! :lurk:

I honestly don't know what all could go wrong, but I would THINK that the blower itself couldn't be hurt unless the engine it was on blew up in a firey ball... aside from that, the snout is fairly cheap, $400 new i think, and whipple will rebuild it with seals/bearings/shaft for $150 and includes a bottle of oil and the gasket to re-mount the blower to the intake.... ummmm, the fuel pumps, i can't imagine being bad unless a TON of miles had been put on the car, they are factory gt500 pumps, so it should be good for the long haul.... the intercooler pump could in theory go bad, but again, if you are comfortable about how many miles the seller has put on the system, it should be fine.... injectors could get clogged, but unlikely still.... you will need to send the tuner to ford racing to get calibrated to your vin, that's $150... you will likely want the 3 wire extension kits @ $20 each to simplify that part of the install... there will definitely be some stuff to buy to install when buying used. i dunno, I guess you just have to be comfortable with the seller, it's a lot of money even used, but it was worth the risk to me!

After reading your post over and over again, you swayed me :happy feet: . It's much more cost effective to do the S/C. I'm not blowing 12 grand on the shelby SC package though. I would rather buy a whipple for 5,000 and have it installed and done costing me around 6,500 and having 515hp at the wheels. I could always take it off as you said and put it back to stock.

I guess my dream is to build a stroker and build my own race car for the track myself. That's in years to come. I'm going to start saving now..... after my S/C project that is. :spend:

PS- Cj pony parts and some other stores have the 550hp whipple for over 6 grand. Any one know where I can get a good deal on one of those? :headscratch:

Check with SPP. With there 15% off sale it would be cheaper than anywhere else if they honor the s/c's at that price. I know some of you are going to say that is not an in store or in stock item but neither is the heat exchanger and i got 15% off of that and it takes 4 to 6 weeks to build it. It's worth a call just to find out. Good- Luck.

I'm gonna try to get a ride in a 3:73 and 4:10 car at the Bash... I'd like to eventually supercharge, but the gears would be a nice cheap mod right now. I'd like to get gears that work well now, and make sense with a blower later.

I think the Bash (or Shelbyfest, or Terlingua, etc etc etc...) is a great time to share what works and what doesn't, as far as mods go.

And, if I ride in a Whipple 550 car, I'm sure I'll be throwing my Visa at that pretty quickly... hysterical.gif

Low-end TORQUE is MY drug. I''m "The King of Zero To The Speed Limit". LOL...

Jer

Hey buddy you can try my 4.10's anytime you :kuko: want !!

I think that any performance mods to these cars are a step in the right direction. Whatever you do will add to the experience. I would say that you should look at the ending that you want...

I wanted my car to be a great cornering car, a drivers' car that my Corvette buddies can't clown and that is plain-fun to drive. The Whipple 550 is a simple addition (Expensive, yes) that gains pretty much all my needs. (Almost) nothings coming up behind me, unless I let them and any more suspension mods I still need (want) are reasonable and relatively easy bolt-ons.

IMO, you can't go wrong with a blower (any kind) but I also understand the appeal of going N/A. To get the type of feeling that I get N/A, though, you'll have to spend huge dollars or go with a larger displacement engine. If I forge up the internal and bump the boost... :drool:

The Shelby Installed pedigree was important to me and I feel that my car is closely linked to the old-school Shelby's of the 60's, just the way she is.

Also, I would be interested in driving a SC with 4.10's, but with 500whp, my 3.55's seem pretty responsive right now, especially when the air is cold, like on my drive to work this morning... :speedie:

I think that any performance mods to these cars are a step in the right direction. Whatever you do will add to the experience. I would say that you should look at the ending that you want...

I wanted my car to be a great cornering car, a drivers' car that my Corvette buddies can't clown and that is plain-fun to drive. The Whipple 550 is a simple addition (Expensive, yes) that gains pretty much all my needs. (Almost) nothings coming up behind me, unless I let them and any more suspension mods I still need (want) are reasonable and relatively easy bolt-ons.

IMO, you can't go wrong with a blower (any kind) but I also understand the appeal of going N/A. To get the type of feeling that I get N/A, though, you'll have to spend huge dollars or go with a larger displacement engine. If I forge up the internal and bump the boost... :drool:

The Shelby Installed pedigree was important to me and I feel that my car is closely linked to the old-school Shelby's of the 60's, just the way she is.

Also, I would be interested in driving a SC with 4.10's, but with 500whp, my 3.55's seem pretty responsive right now, especially when the air is cold, like on my drive to work this morning... :speedie:

I have the paxton standard shift. John Walker advised me not to go with 4:10's so I settled with 3:73's. I can not remember why. Anyone?

I had installed 4:10s about two months ago and really like them. Cruising at 65mph turns around 2200 rpms. Thats nothing, my 05 subaru legacy gt would turn around 3000 rpms at the same speed. Gas mileage went down a lil but nothing major. And SGT1020, stay away from JDM, they wanted over $600 for the gear install, not including gears. I highly recommend Big Daddy Performance in Lakewood, i paid $425 and install took 3 hrs.

I had installed 4:10s about two months ago and really like them. Cruising at 65mph turns around 2200 rpms. Thats nothing, my 05 subaru legacy gt would turn around 3000 rpms at the same speed. Gas mileage went down a lil but nothing major. And SGT1020, stay away from JDM, they wanted over $600 for the gear install, not including gears. I highly recommend Big Daddy Performance in Lakewood, i paid $425 and install took 3 hrs.

Yea I talked to them the other day. Their prices are high. I would have them do my dyno tune, thats about it. I messaged big daddy for pricing on a whipple and install.

What do you guys think about the Kenne Bells as opposed to the FR whipple?

Yea I talked to them the other day. Their prices are high. I would have them do my dyno tune, thats about it. I messaged big daddy for pricing on a whipple and install.

1. Who is big daddy and what does he do?! <said with Arnold Schwarzenegger voice> get it? :hysterical::doh:

2. Not to be the "LOOK IT UP " guy, but... ;)

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/59844-which-supercharger-for-my-sgt-aaaaaand-go/page__p__1020436__fromsearch__1#entry1020436 (for starters)

PS - used to have wet dreams about a Kenne Bell, but I'm very much in the Whipple 550 camp now... :shift:

1. Who is big daddy and what does he do?! <said with Arnold Schwarzenegger voice> get it? :hysterical::doh:

2. Not to be the "LOOK IT UP " guy, but... ;)

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/59844-which-supercharger-for-my-sgt-aaaaaand-go/page__p__1020436__fromsearch__1#entry1020436 (for starters)

PS - used to have wet dreams about a Kenne Bell, but I'm very much in the Whipple 550 camp now... :shift:

I have wet dreams about Superchargers to begin with! :hysterical:

I love the sound of the KB too but, The whipple to me not only looks more menacing under the hood, it IS more menacing with 550hp at the crank. They are just so darn expensive!!! Im saving my money as we speak! :dreamy::spend:

I'm going with the Black whipple (550) in the spring. Hopefully sometime around April.

Until then, my car will sleep in the garage during the winter which is fast approaching. :cold:

They are just so darn expensive!!! Im saving my money as we speak! :dreamy::spend:

Ya, as far as I've been able to tell though, the FRPP's are a little less expensive and easier to come by, even used... btw thanks to whomever posted that link about the used one on S197. I'm 'talkin' it out right now... we'll see.

Ya, as far as I've been able to tell though, the FRPP's are a little less expensive and easier to come by, even used... btw thanks to whomever posted that link about the used one on S197. I'm 'talkin' it out right now... we'll see.

Although you will save money on a used unit, I would save up a bit more to buy a brand new one, reason being that it will come with the full warranty it comes with. Buying used gives you no warranty. I personally am not a fan of buying used products especially something that someone probably beat up on a little bit.

We all have heavy foots sometimes. haha

Considering they are capable of over 18 psi of boost, I don't think that a heavy foot at 9-12 psi depending on pulley is going to beat it up, might be beating up the stock motor, but the blower should be fine I think... but I understand that people like warranties!

thats rediculous. i paid 200 for my gears and 200 for installation. best mod by far for performance.

I've pretty much decided now, following everyone's comments here, that I'm going to put a set of 4:10's in my car, probably next spring.

Now, I have a question...what does it take to get an NA Shelby GT into the "12's"?...on street tires that is...I'm sure the 4:10's and a good tune will help, but what's next?

I've pretty much decided now, following everyone's comments here, that I'm going to put a set of 4:10's in my car, probably next spring.

Uh-oh.....do you have touch up paint available for that beautiful rear end paint job?? :doh:

I think Im going to go with the TVS supercharger. It says Roush on it but I can just take that plaque off and put a TVS one on. 510-700 hp depending on the tune. $5,000. Best bang for the buck and a SWEET unit!

If you're going anything over 500, the rule of thumb is that you're going to have get some forged internals no?

I think Im going to go with the TVS supercharger. It says Roush on it but I can just take that plaque off and put a TVS one on. 510-700 hp depending on the tune. $5,000. Best bang for the buck and a SWEET unit!

I didn't look into this heavily, but you may want to price dyno tuning and it also doesn't appear to come with fuel pump upgrades, but I could be wrong... you could be at or above whipple cost when all is said and done.

I've seen 12s run first hand in a Shelby. I believe the owner's mods were 4:10s, 1 piece lightweight driveshaft, drag radials, long tube headers, tune, etc. I have no doubt mine will run high 12s in the spring, just need drag radials to get there

I've run 14.3's up here in the mountains which I think is like 13.3 elevation corrected and I only had a tune and gears. I bet if you had the LT's and driveshaft you could push that in the high 12's easy. That said, side rant....

There is a guy that races with us at Bandimere that has A FREAK of a car... it's a 2007 GT with 4.10s, CAI and tune.... nothing else. And I swear to you the runs 13.5s here at Bandimere... at 6000 ft! That's mid 12's at sea level and I that was his first few times EVER down a track. We've scoured his car and can't figure out how he is nearly a second faster than the rest of us with extremely similar mods... that car is just a freak. When he heats up and launches... it just looks violent for a NA mildly modded S197... drives me crazy. :headscratch:

• 4 weeks later...

I Steeda billet charge motion delete plates - by removing the restriction of the IMRC plates from the bottom of the intake manifold, you'll pick up 10-15 HP (and lose a small amount of torque)

wow i didnt know these had restricter plates. hmm.

after reading all this i probly go with a super charger, but i still want that lope soundin cam job and those purdy lil JBA headers.

*sigh* i just dont know. i want to leave it as is, but i want to make my Shelby "my own". hardest part would be without it while it was in the shop gettin modded.

I've run 14.3's up here in the mountains which I think is like 13.3 elevation corrected and I only had a tune and gears. I bet if you had the LT's and driveshaft you could push that in the high 12's easy. That said, side rant....

There is a guy that races with us at Bandimere that has A FREAK of a car... it's a 2007 GT with 4.10s, CAI and tune.... nothing else. And I swear to you the runs 13.5s here at Bandimere... at 6000 ft! That's mid 12's at sea level and I that was his first few times EVER down a track. We've scoured his car and can't figure out how he is nearly a second faster than the rest of us with extremely similar mods... that car is just a freak. When he heats up and launches... it just looks violent for a NA mildly modded S197... drives me crazy. :headscratch:

maybe he puts spinach in his fuel. :hysterical:

I have the paxton standard shift. John Walker advised me not to go with 4:10's so I settled with 3:73's. I can not remember why. Anyone?

Wow, John Walker. That is going back some. The thought was that 4:10's brought the 5-speed gears too close together and that you spend more time shifting (and you are not accelerating if you are shifting) than need be given the fantastic torque curves of these motors. People differ in what they want but that was what John told me when I brought up 4:10's for my car. He said 3:73's were are far as he would take it.

Jim

Wow, John Walker. That is going back some. The thought was that 4:10's brought the 5-speed gears too close together and that you spend more time shifting (and you are not accelerating if you are shifting) than need be given the fantastic torque curves of these motors. People differ in what they want but that was what John told me when I brought up 4:10's for my car. He said 3:73's were are far as he would take it.

Jim

yeah 4.10s would make 1st gear almost usless. it would be like a granny gear to me. good for rock crawlin if u have a 4x4. but in a manual SGT its rediculous. i still have the 3.55 and i shift into 2nd quick enough just driving normal on the street.

now if i were stopped on a steep hill at a stoplight with some idiot right on my tailgate 4.10s would come in handy. :idea::rockon:

Archived