TEAM SHELBY FORUM

For All The Mustang II Haters Out There

shelbymotorsports

A remote controlled Farrah model would have been a much better choice on a limited allowance. :happy feet:

As fun as it is to bash Mustang II's, there really wasn't anything out there at the time that was any better, other than maybe the Fire Chicken Trans Ams. The mid/late 70s though the early 80's where awful for cars.

Yes, and I'm afraid we may see it all over again.

+gas prices

+cafe standards

+smaller style-less cars

+NO MORE HORSEPOWER WARS! :(

We are witnessing the sunset on 1970 again!

A remote controlled Farrah model would have been a much better choice on a limited allowance. :happy feet:

As fun as it is to bash Mustang II's, there really wasn't anything out there at the time that was any better, other than maybe the Fire Chicken Trans Ams. The mid/late 70s though the early 80's where awful for cars.

I much preferred the V6 Capri to the Mustang II... Had a couple German Capris late '70s-mid '80s. One was Grabber Orange, or whatever the color was called then.

You're right though; those years were pretty sorry for new-car performance.

I much preferred the V6 Capri to the Mustang II... Had a couple German Capris late '70s-mid '80s. One was Grabber Orange, or whatever the color was called then.

You're right though; those years were pretty sorry for new-car performance.

You mean this one? It is a Mk II. Photo taken here in my country. At classis car events fortunately we see still lots of these.

dsc5326.jpg

You mean this one? It is a Mk II. Photo taken here in my country. At classis car events fortunately we see still lots of these.

dsc5326.jpg

Yes, that's the car and the color. I loved mine, a '77. Sadly, the USA didn't get those bumpers, but great-big ugly ones.

They were very good cars, in my opinion. Also much better build, handling and better performance than Mustang II.

This was ONE of mine...I had two EXACTLY the same, Black & Gold edition. This was taken in 1982. 2.8 V6 gear drive, noisy motor, 4spd. Pretty quick for what it was. They were definitely German quality cars!

This car was t-boned in the drivers door by a drunk woman on my birthday!!! My wife, (then girlfriend) had to climb out of the 'crank' sunroof, as her door was jammed even after I was t-boned in the drivers side. It was totalled!!

Many

I've always chuckled to myself thru the years on how much hate the Mustang II recieves but the sales records show the public was much more in love with the Mustang II than the 1969-73 Mustang's.

At least the Mustang II came with a 302 V8 and not that turd 255 V8 in the 1980-81 Mustang's. And let's not forget that reproduction Cobra owners don't mind scavenging the front suspension from the Mustang II.

As anemic as the Mustang II was due to the smog equipment I think a lot of people would be surprised that the Mustang II V8 outperformed many of the earlier V8 equipped Mustangs. Like the heavy as a tank 1973 Mustang with a 302 reallly performed. How about the first Mustangs with a 260 V8? Yeah those were barn stormers.

So what if the Mustang II shared some dna with the Pinto. Wasn't the original Mustang based on Ford's cheapest car the Falcon? What about the revered Fox bodied Mustangs? DNA right back to the Ford Fairmont. Does anyone want to admit owning a Fairmont? It was almost a challenge between Ford with their Fairmont and Chevy with their Citation on who could build a crappier car, I think Chevy won that battle.

I like all Mustang's, of course some years were better than others. Mustang II owners have been hammered on enough over the years.

Steve

Many thanks Steve for sticking up for us Mustang II owners, I posted on here last week about my 78Cobra,the car has 40,000 miles on it and just got restriped last week and it needed it over just the top of the car the rest of the car look's great ! not bad for a car thats 32 years old.Like I said in the post last week my son who was on leave from the Navy drove it in the cruise to Town of Shelby in Wi in july of 2009 and I know there are people that visit this fourm that came to the the Town of Shelby cruise and saw the car and were impressed with the look's and condition of the car and how well my son drove it on that high speed cruise through the back roads of WI we were going just a tad over the speed limit and that Cobra kept right up. My son Nick was about in the middle of the pack of cars he didn't slow anyone up and he was right behind, I think Nordic Shelby who has 2008 SGT with a 550 Whipple , I think we had 18 cars and just 3 of them were non Shelbys . Of course I do have some mod's on the car like a High Rise and a Holley 600 carb, headers and Hooker side pipes Amercan Racing Rims 14" and Goodrich T/A 14" tires with some air shocks to keep the wider tires from rubbing it's 302ci with a 4 speed and it runs out very nice. Thank's for going to bat for us Mustang II owners I thought that I was the lone soldier out here. Rod.

This was ONE of mine...I had two EXACTLY the same, Black & Gold edition...

5118800813_cb9d9e0805_z.jpg

LUCKY! I used to lust for a "Black Cat" Capri! They offered a white/gold one too, they named "Le Cat"... I never saw one on the road.

BTW- love those Centerlines, too! :)

LUCKY! I used to lust for a "Black Cat" Capri! They offered a white/gold one too, they named "Le Cat"... I never saw one on the road.

Thank you so much. If you wanted one of those, then I WON'T post the totalled shot............it'll make ya sick! You would swear I died in the car. It was a tribute to how strongly those cars were built. They used heavier gauge sheetmetal than American cars, (similar to Mercedes), and the frt. fenders were both welded onto the aprons....no bolts!

I too owned a Mercury Capri from 1977 until 1981. It was an 1973 Mercury Capri MK1. Great car and tough as nails. It had 140,000 miles on it when I sold it in 1981 and I never had a problem with it. (except for rust around wheel wells,bottom of doors and bottom of front fenders but ALL of them did that) Glad to see some other people on here who owned or liked the 1970's Mercury Capris. Some people may not know that the 1970 to 1977 Capri took many of its styling cues from the Mustang. You can see it in the side view that Oldlugs posted in #35 post above of the yellow Capri and The Black Shelby. Notice the non functional side vents. The long hood and the short trunk. Thanks Oldlug and Bikeboy for posting pictures.

The Mercury Capri Mk1 and Mk2 were a way better handling car and more stylish car than the Mustang II. I am not hating on the Mustang II. I liked it OK and it has its place in Mustang History. It was also a victim of its time due to the gas shortage, economy, and the emission controls that were mandated in that era that sort of put a cloud over the Mustang II , as well as many other cars of that time. Its great that some Mustang enthusiats are keeping alive,restoring (and defending) Mustang II's because each model whether we like one model or not they are all part of an important lineage that is part of Americana and a lineage that I hope continues for many years to come.

If you're a 'II' person, then you know (or should know) John Clor of SVT. He writes a number of monthly articles for Ford&Mustang Trader as well as the Mustang Times. He a big 'II" fan and this month in F&MT has an article on the Mach !s from that era. It's worth checking out, and his writings are always interesting and thought provoking. He also wrote the Mustang Dynasty book and has a book on the Boss 302 waiting in the wings for next year.

Released again in 1982 in the US as "Black Magic" Capri. A friend of mine had one it was a pretty car!

BlackMagic.jpg

BlackMagic.jpg

Camaro. wins for me....or a groooovvvvvyyyyyyy VAN man!

Dude, we had the Van! 1978 Ford E-150, Black, 50 series wide tires, Keystone mags, chrome sidepipes, shag carpeting with wood paneling, custom built U shape bench seating seperated with an Ace of spades shape wall divider, 4 fans, 2 porthole windows, sunroof, 8-track player that must have played Smokey and the Bandit's 'East Bound and Down' a million times! That was a great Van

Archived