TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How Canada got it's name.

The people of the territory now known as Canada were trying to figure out a name for the country. So they decided to throw a bunch of letters into a bag and then pull them out. What ever they spelled, that would be the new name of the country.

So in to the bag went the letters.

Guy pulls out the first letter and says "We have a C, eh"

Then pulls out another saying "We have a N, eh".

Then pulls out another replying "And we have a D, eh".

The people of the territory now known as Canada were trying to figure out a name for the country. So they decided to throw a bunch of letters into a bag and then pull them out. What ever they spelled, that would be the new name of the country.

So in to the bag went the letters.

Guy pulls out the first letter and says "We have a C, aye"

Then pulls out another saying "We have a N, aye".

Then pulls out another replying "And we have a D, aye".

:hide:

cheese head

if you are going to pick on us learn how to spell EH !! :hysterical:

Your right........................I changed it!

Everyone in the US teases Canada. I being a US citizen living up here for the past two years have thoroughly enjoyed every moment, I must say!

No, they don't all live in igloos...No, they don't get 'all' healthcare for free...No, it's not unbelieavably cold up here...no more than our upper midwest. Yes, they all say 'eh'! Yes, they all LOVE our politics...Yes, they ALL love hockey, and every kid plays it in his or her driveway, street, or frozen homemade skating rink in the backyard! And they LOVE Obama!!!!!

Some silly word observations, we've noticed in two years:

When someone is hurt they go 'to hospital'

For vacation, they go 'on holiday'

For holiday, they go 'to cottage'...and yes...EVERYONE goes to cottage!!

They pronounce these words differently than we do: process, sorry, been, about, out, produce, (the fruit). There are many more, that just aren't coming to mind right now. I'm frankly so used to them.

Oh, and they don't look for the bathroom at restaraunts, it's the 'washroom'! That one will be hard for me to change back to when I get home!

A few other odd things about Canada...odd meaning different, it's OK to go 100 on the highway...oh yeah, 100km's. Also, when you go out on a summer afternoon, and your thermometer says 35 in your kitchen window, no you don't need a coat, as that's celcius and it's near a 100 deg. out!! Lol. Then there's the price of gas as you are driving by the station...don't get excited when you see the sign that says $1.09. That's per litre...times that by about 4! Yes, gas is OUTRAGEOUS here! Which brings me to another point. SMART cars are everywhere. And lastly, two things about sports bars. 1) if it`s hockey season, don`t ask for any of the TV`s to be switched to `the baseball game`. and 2) there is NO happy hour!!! The government controls the alcohol here, and will not allow discounts!

All that said, I loved my entire stay, love the Canadian people, and most of them love us and lots of them think they would love to live in our country. Isn`t that crazy?

Everyone in the US teases Canada. I being a US citizen living up here for the past two years have thoroughly enjoyed every moment, I must say!

No, they don't all live in igloos...No, they don't get 'all' healthcare for free...No, it's not unbelieavably cold up here...no more than our upper midwest. Yes, they all say 'eh'! Yes, they all LOVE our politics...Yes, they ALL love hockey, and every kid plays it in his or her driveway, street, or frozen homemade skating rink in the backyard! And they LOVE Obama!!!!!

Some silly word observations, we've noticed in two years:

When someone is hurt they go 'to hospital'

For vacation, they go 'on holiday'

For holiday, they go 'to cottage'...and yes...EVERYONE goes to cottage!!

They pronounce these words differently than we do: process, sorry, been, about, out, produce, (the fruit). There are many more, that just aren't coming to mind right now. I'm frankly so used to them.

Oh, and they don't look for the bathroom at restaraunts, it's the 'washroom'! That one will be hard for me to change back to when I get home!

A few other odd things about Canada...odd meaning different, it's OK to go 100 on the highway...oh yeah, 100km's. Also, when you go out on a summer afternoon, and your thermometer says 35 in your kitchen window, no you don't need a coat, as that's celcius and it's near a 100 deg. out!! Lol. Then there's the price of gas as you are driving by the station...don't get excited when you see the sign that says $1.09. That's per litre...times that by about 4! Yes, gas is OUTRAGEOUS here! Which brings me to another point. SMART cars are everywhere. And lastly, two things about sports bars. 1) if it`s hockey season, don`t ask for any of the TV`s to be switched to `the baseball game`. and 2) there is NO happy hour!!! The government controls the alcohol here, and will not allow discounts!

All that said, I loved my entire stay, love the Canadian people, and most of them love us and lots of them think they would love to live in our country. Isn`t that crazy?

I have trouble with the restroom and bathroom. I don't want to have a rest and I don't need a bath; I have to relieve myself and will probably wash my hands :headscratch:

Archived