TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cherish the Generation we ALL owe so much to!

Please remember the following:

•  
  • Not too long ago it was reported that we are losing 1000 WWII vets a day. That is a terrible loss. What I want you to remember is that the ones we fought for in the European theater - the Survivors of the Holocaust - are dieing at the same rate. Without those who fought and those who survived, the memories will be lost. When memories are lost, history repeats.
  • Second, us baby-boomers that grew up and served at the time of Vietnam need to remember our fathers. For many of them, their "war" was Korea. The forgotten war. Our fathers are your grandfathers. Ask them about it. Like many vets, they may not want to talk about it. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

Please remember the following:

• Not too long ago it was reported that we are losing 1000 WWII vets a day. That is a terrible loss. What I want you to remember is that the ones we fought for in the European theater - the Survivors of the Holocaust - are dieing at the same rate. Without those who fought and those who survived, the memories will be lost. When memories are lost, history repeats.

• Second, us baby-boomers that grew up and served at the time of Vietnam need to remember our fathers. For many of them, their "war" was Korea. The forgotten war. Our fathers are your grandfathers. Ask them about it. Like many vets, they may not want to talk about it. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

very true, thanks Tony, my papa (grandfather) is an indian head, 2nd infantry, landed at normandy, fought in the battle of the bulge......liberated satellite camps outside Auchswitz.......

I cherish every memory he has shared with me about those days......but truely, they are not many, the horrors he saw will die with him some day.....

as I said, a generation we owe so much to...........they fought fo us! :salute::salute:

and thank you for your service Tony! :salute:

Very well done, and quite moving.

Thank you for sharing M...

AND THANK YOU TO ALL OF THE MILITARY MEN, WOMEN, AND THEIR FAMILIES WHO HAVE SACRIFICED SO MUCH TO PROTECT THE LIBERTIES AND FREEDOMS THAT SO MANY OF US TAKE FOR GRANTED. :salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute:

very true, thanks Tony, my papa (grandfather) is an indian head, 2nd infantry, landed at normandy, fought in the battle of the bulge......liberated satellite camps outside Auchswitz.......

I cherish every memory he has shared with me about those days......but truely, they are not many, the horrors he saw will die with him some day.....

as I said, a generation we owe so much to...........they fought fo us! :salute::salute:

and thank you for your service Tony! :salute:

Thanks for the salute, but I did not serve. My draft lottery number (the first year of the lottery was when I was a senior in High School). I never applied for a deferment, and with my eyes I probably wouldn't have had to go anyway. I knew many who did, and some of my closes friends where I live were there.

I too knew some real WWII heroes. One was a colonel in Normandy, how he survived, he never knew. Another was at the first wave at Iwo Jima, saw the first flag go up, and always told me "he wouldn't be alive if it weren't for the Indians" (who we now know were Navajo Code Talkers).

Some day if you've had too much fun and are in a really good mood and need to get depressed watch PBS Frontline's Memory of the Camps. It is available on line at the Frontline web site. Alfred Hitchcock was a contributor.

Archived