TEAM SHELBY FORUM

On Vacation in Washington DC!

Hello from our Nation's Capital!! :salute:

Today we officially start our vacation in the Washington, DC area.!! :happy feet:

Yeah, I know, :hysterical3: QuadCam thinks this is boring but really there are many worse places to visit!!

We are staying in our motorhome in a nice RV park just outside the DC beltway. We came here last year also; a very convenient spot to catch the Metrorail, etc. We're also going to rent a car starting tomorrow (hmmm...wonder what we'll get...)...

Today, once I can get the women going :hysterical: , we visit and attend mass at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception LINK (practice saying that fast 10 times)!

Later on we're having some friends over to the campground, do some swimming, cooking out and watching the NASCAR race (no Rob, we still don't have Bud Light...)...well...the guys will watch the race while the women YAK, that is....

I'll attempt to post up some pics later....

edit - my view at 7 am....

f33f3517.jpg

I've visited DC a few times. There is a lot of great US history there! And the 4th of July fireworks are great (except for the crowds and the heat).

If you are interested in checking out some of the monuments/memorials (Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, Vietnam, etc.), then call your congressman's office. They will hook you up for free tours that are led by the Park Service. They provide a park ranger tour guide, transportation, and a hassle free tour. You see a lot in one day with minimal walking.

I've visited DC a few times. There is a lot of great US history there! And the 4th of July fireworks are great (except for the crowds and the heat).

If you are interested in checking out some of the monuments/memorials (Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, Vietnam, etc.), then call your congressman's office. They will hook you up for free tours that are led by the Park Service. They provide a park ranger tour guide, transportation, and a hassle free tour. You see a lot in one day with minimal walking.

09 Red GT500,

That's a great tip! Thanks for letting us know that our elected officials CAN do something for their constituents.

Yes, thanks for the tip!

Posting a couple more photos from yesterday...today we're doing more of the Smithsonian, mostly....

This first pic is of our camp site, then me and my daughter at the Baslica (a Father's Day photo!)...followed by a couple of interior shots, one of the upper church and then the lower. Sorry for the iphone pic quality!

2236d51d.jpg

85eabbf6.jpg

749aa377.jpg

29db7954.jpg

Day # 2 Pics....we went to the Museum of Natural History and hiked over to check out the White House...

Team Shelby Meeting....

b03fbd00.jpg

Manfred.....

64c972d6.jpg

Sid .....

ded5890c.jpg

Diego....

1f61b828.jpg

Hope Diamond....

c4bb8339.jpg

Gold!!!!

4992146c.jpg

Washington Monument (as if you didn't know)....last year my daughter called it "the big pointy thing"....

7ad2bd7c.jpg

the White House

de9b32a5.jpg

and last, but not least, our Buick Lucerne rental car!

2b194f55.jpg

get ready for a warm day today :shift:

Yeah really...I'm outside sipping coffee here at 6:45 and its already hot and humid! We're heading up to Baltimore today so hopefully it will be 1 degree cooler there!

Just a couple of pics from yesterdays trip to Mount Vernon....

The mansion....

4dc26afd.jpg

George & Martha's tomb....

acfc3d0b.jpg

The Necessary!

49b62c9a.jpg

5efbda4c.jpg

My sister and my father in law live in DC. It's a great place to see. Been there many times and each time I go back I see something different and interesting. One of the neatest sites is the tour of the FBI building and some of it's history and seeing the technology they use. One year I watched the fireworks from the 4th floor of the treasury building. David Brinkley sat in front of me and Sam Donaldson in the next row. At our table for dinner the Gov of Missouri and a couple senators were seated with us. Sorry I don't remember their names. It was interesting seeing some of these people but I really didn't care. I was there with my sister and her husband. Any how it's a great place to visit, if you haven't been there you must go you won't be disappointed.

Yesterday we drove up to Baltimore and visited Loyola College. My wife loves to visit the various colleges that we may be sending our daughter off to someday (yes, she plans well in advance). Following that we drove down to Fells Point and hung out for awhile. We ate lunch at Bertha's Mussels and then the boys did a little bar-hopping while the girls went shopping :happy feet: Following that we returned to the campsite for a nice cookout!

Loyola College Admin. Building

b7035803.jpg

Loyola College Cathedral

fc910848.jpg

Cool Ride in Fell's Point!

e57a102c.jpg

The view from Woody's Rum Bar!

031e7dba.jpg

Yesterday we went to Annapolis, and today we're going there again; we found a great Starbucks for coffee in the cellar of the Maryland Inn, did quite a bit of walking around looking at some homes for sale (we hope to buy an Annapolis home when I retire); had a great lunch at Middleton's Tavern (City Docks area) and visited the MD State Capitol building.

I probably won't be able to bore you with more pics tomorrow as we'll be leaving early to head back to CT.

The Maryland Inn - Starbucks in the cellar!

53064577.jpg

Maryland State House

a4d64aeb.jpg

House and Senate Chambers

49894c36.jpg

348b7c1b.jpg

The Rotunda of the State House

d86370f2.jpg

Middleton's Tavern

fed401fd.jpg

Annapolis City Dock area

08b7c567.jpg

Our future house??

a6773d83.jpg

living here in MD for the past 30yrs and I'll warn you, it's not a retirement friendly state

I know, and CT is even worse! MD is not really my first choice, but the wife does love Annapolis. Personally I think I would prefer Tennessee.

So...vacation is over and this morning we head back home!! :shift:

I know, and CT is even worse! MD is not really my first choice, but the wife does love Annapolis. Personally I think I would prefer Tennessee.

So...vacation is over and this morning we head back home!! :shift:

wow, we have been thinking TN also. cheap to live, great for taxes and plenty of great roads to drive :shift:

Archived