TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Questions by dummies: post any question here!

66DNA

Here's another dummy question: How do u guys feel about completely touch free car washes? have one near my place that I use for my other vehicles and it works quite well. Any negatives to those? Because I'm not gonna want to have it hand cleaned all the time by me or someone else.

What gear do you guys typically use for highway cruising speeds? Let's say 70-75mph? 5th or 6th?

I use 6th whenever possible but we have 75mph speed limits out here too. I don't think I'd use it in a 55mph zone.

Here's another dummy question: How do u guys feel about completely touch free car washes? have one near my place that I use for my other vehicles and it works quite well. Any negatives to those? Because I'm not gonna want to have it hand cleaned all the time by me or someone else.

I use a touchless and always have (3-yrs & counting). No problem other than I get a little water in the trunk, along the back seal.

Phill

I see some cars with hash mark stripes on the front fender.............what is the correct term for them and where did you get them? Thanks.

I believe they are called pit stripes from what I have read. They're supposed to go on the driver side only but I've seen people put it on both sides. I got mine from the summit pointe/carlisle shelby 50th event. Team shelby north east I believe is trying to come up with a site to sell the ones with the 50th logo on it.

post-37621-0-79099600-1339341240_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know if it's ok to run 285 35 19's on the front. I like to go on the road course with my '11 GT500. I got another set of wheels that I would like to have the same rubber all the way around just so I can rotate the tires and get a little bit more life out of them. For track use anyway. Not sure if I would have clearance issues or if it would affect the handling in a negative way. Would also like to know what the widest size I can run all the way around. I plan on putting the OEM size on the other set of rims but all season tires for daily driving. Appreciate any info. Thanks

post-37621-0-79099600-1339341240_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know if it's ok to run 285 35 19's on the front.

Yes, a couple of guys on TS have done it. I'm not good with a search engine but you might be able to find the threads. I think Robert M. did something similar to his Super Snake. He put wider tires on the rear but is running 285's on the front IIRC.

Phill

Awesome! Figured that about the touchless. Just didn't know if there was some weird/terrible thing it does to the paint or whatever. THanks!

Everybody's gonna tell you it'll lift the stripes but I'm evidence that it won't happen.

HOWEVER, I have seen one wash that I wouldn't think about using. It has 3 nozzles on the ends of 3 spokes and a big hub that spins/rotates the nozzles for better coverage and the spray is STRONG. I wouldn't take the chance myself but I use one with a flat floor that the machine senses the car and adjusts for distance, then runs around the car with a bar of nozzles. No problems in 3 years of using it exclusively. I do take a bag of microfiber towels with me, pull the car around into one of the covered bays (for shade) where they have the wand type washers and I dry my car off completely. Door, trunk and hood jambs, under the hood, etc. It has a air blower you drive through/past but it's lacking. The wash is good and takes a couple of minutes rather than the time it would take me to hand wash it and I can't do that anyway due to the high heat and arid air up here @ 6100'.

Phill

• 5 weeks later...

I have a dummy question. I have a 2012 GT500 with Nav. I cannot get my address book to load. I can only get the first few numbers in letter selection. I read something about driving 5mph or something that you only see the beginning while moving? Even stopped I cannot get it to load with my I-Phone. I cannot get it to pull on SYNC voice command either. I have read all the materials and tried countless times. What am I missing?? Thanks to anyone that can help.

I had the same experience (and thus the same dumb question) of not wanting holes drilled in my bumper for the California-required front plate. Thank you for finding this bracket!! It's a small price to pay to avoid the evil drill!

As a new 2010 GT500 owner I'm sure I'll come up with more dumb questions, but that was definitely the most pressing one :)

• 1 month later...

here is a really dumb question, im not used to driving manual cars with this much power, so for just cruising around town what is a safe speed or RPM to shift from 1st to 2nd?

i know, i know DUMB!!!, but i guessed this would be the best place to post it.

in the past with all other cars 1st was just to get the car going and had to change almost instantly at lets say 20 km (12 m\ph)

whats safe on these cars cause it seems i could go a lot further. on my EVO i can go further but the GT500 seems to have an even longer 1st gear.

i looked in the manual both reg and gt500 supplement and all it stated was ridiculous shift points for fuel economy.

sorry for the "really" dumb question and thank you for any replies

Cheers

Edited by Power1010

• 2 weeks later...

here is a really dumb question, im not used to driving manual cars with this much power, so for just cruising around town what is a safe speed or RPM to shift from 1st to 2nd?

Hi...regarding shifting...for normal everyday driving...I tend to shift in all gears when I reach about 2,000 RPM's. I never let it climb much further in 1st unless I'm out having fun on the back roads

Just got a used 2012 with 7000 miles on the clock but I have a stupid question. The car is difficult to start for some reason. The manual tranny I came from just required that you push in the clutch and turn the key. When I do that with this car, I get nothing - no cranking or anything. Everything is powered up in the car when the key is turned on so it should not be a battery issue.

I follow this sequence - parking brake on, clutch pedal to the floor, turn key to on and wait until the gauges come back to zero, then try to crank. Nothing. I have to do this sequence 6 or seven times before it will crank and kick off. I can hear the fuel pump start up when I turn the key to the on position so that should not be the issue either.

Maybe a fob problem?

Just got a used 2012 with 7000 miles on the clock but I have a stupid question. The car is difficult to start for some reason. The manual tranny I came from just required that you push in the clutch and turn the key. When I do that with this car, I get nothing - no cranking or anything. Everything is powered up in the car when the key is turned on so it should not be a battery issue.

I follow this sequence - parking brake on, clutch pedal to the floor, turn key to on and wait until the gauges come back to zero, then try to crank. Nothing. I have to do this sequence 6 or seven times before it will crank and kick off. I can hear the fuel pump start up when I turn the key to the on position so that should not be the issue either.

Maybe a fob problem?

Sounds like in the starter loose connection maybe , should take it the dealer.

Is the transmission in neutral? I don't know if there is a neutral position sensor in the transmission, but if there is it may have an effect on the starter.

Whatever senses the clutch pedal position may be defective or have a loose connection.

The starter relay could be defective. Refer to page 239 in the owners manual for location, the relay is #19. You can remove and reinstall the relay and see if that takes care of the problem.

From the 2012 GT500 Owners Supplement Manual.

Using the Clutch

The manual transmission has a starter interlock that prevents cranking

the engine unless the clutch pedal is fully depressed.

To start the vehicle:

1. Make sure the parking brake is fully set.

2. Press the clutch pedal to the floor, then put the gearshift lever in the

neutral position.

3. Start the engine, then press the brake pedal and release the parking

brake.

I also think it is the clutch safety switch,

I agree.

Try pushing your clutch in aggressively and bottoming it out hard on the floor, then turn the key.

Or hold the key in the start position while pushing the clutch pedal in/out repeatedly but hold it down if/when the starter motor turns. You may just need to adjust the switch or you may need to replace it if adjustment doesn't cure the problem.

Phill

Does the rubber stop on the pedal bracket contact the plunger on the switch? If so, if it was missing, would the plunger be pushed in far enough to make it work?

Yes the rubber bumper contacts the switch. If it wasn't there the switch would not be depressed completely. On mine switch bottoms out at full depression of clutch pedal.

Does the rubber stop on the pedal bracket contact the plunger on the switch? If so, if it was missing, would the plunger be pushed in far enough to make it work?

You may have just hit the nail on the head. Rubber missing, switch not depressing all the way, no engine crank.

Phill

Why does it say to put the car in neutral when we start it? It starts if we leave it in 1st too. Is it because they don't want it to stall immediately or something when turned on? Also what gear do you guys leave it in when you park?

My uncle came this weekend and he drives manuals and when I let him drive my car he left it in 2nd. And this other dude I talked to with an FGT told me if I put the E-Brake up right after driving it will warp my rotors?

I suspect the recommendation to put the transmission into neutral before starting is an extra safety precaution prior to starting. Perhaps the thinking is that, after the engine starts, you could inadvertently take your foot off the clutch pedal before you intended. Our GT500s will start in any gear as long as the clutch pedal is depressed.

Since I was driving clutch vehicles before the clutch/starter interlocks were common, I have always put the transmission into neutral prior to starting, just a habit.

For parking, I rarely use the emergency/parking brake unless I am parking on a noticeable incline. I always park the car with the transmission in reverse which is another habit I picked up when I started driving.