TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Questions by dummies: post any question here!

66DNA

its the boost gauge,measuring the output of your SC.,Have you set the supercharger yet.You do this by driving I think 7 miles at speed on a highway,and the SC will come on--youll hear it and feel it. 2nd possibilty is you wont see the boost come in unless you go to full throttle,or atleast push the peal somewhat.So eg, if youre in 2nd gear at 2000 rpm, hit the throttle and youll see the PSI gauge move

I have a question for you, where do I get the prodution information as to what # car off the line and colour and so on.

I've seen a register some way in my travels, but don't remember where!

Thanks

Need Help??? K I have 2010,,, been out dragging it a few times last season, put drag radials on it, when warming up the tires in the burn out box, I would put it in everything off mode, hold the brakes and do a brake stand,,, here is the ?... my buddy would see that sometimes only one tire would spin and i would feel the anti locks come on, am I doing something wrong???

Thanks for the imput,,,,,

post-28467-0-95374300-1298316314_thumb.jpg

post-28467-0-95374300-1298316314_thumb.jpg

OK I have a stupid question. I picked up my 2010 GT500 on July 30th of this year. I live in Ontario Canada and we require a Front plate by law, Why you ask because Governments are in fact stupid and should probably post all their questions in this area... Any way back to my question, Me dealer was going to take a drill to my front bumper (GASP) I said no F---ing way, so I have the front plate tie wrapped on right now, does anyone know of a bracket or something that will work on the front of the GT 500???? HELP

Hey look at this http://jlttruecoldair.com/ZenCart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=329_334&products_id=370

I just order one!

Where in Ontario?

My 2010 came with a Shelby car cover, and I have washed it in the washer on gentle; however, I did not dry it in the dryer. I laid it out (outside down) in the sun. After it was dry, I then used a "Swiffer" pad to get any remaining dirt out prior to folding up so as to minimize any possible scratches in the future as a result of dirt on the inside. As a result, I would plan on doing this when it's sunny and very low wind so as to minimize anything blowing into it while air drying. Hope that helps. :burnout:

Thanks. I had put the cover on after driving the car for a couple of days. There was a big snow storm on its way and wanted to cover the car up. I didn't have a protected parking spot at the time at my apartment. I removed it after the storm and brought it up to my apartment to dry. Moisture rolls right off the outside quite well so I didn't have to let it dry much. I got it folded up and repacked now. Like trying to pack a parachute. I've since acquired a protected parking spot, not indoor. Better than in the open. I'll wait for spring then unpack it and check to see if the underside need washing. It's great if you're not going to drive the car for a while or store it but it's a nuisance for every day use.

OK I have a stupid question. I picked up my 2010 GT500 on July 30th of this year. I live in Ontario Canada and we require a Front plate by law, Why you ask because Governments are in fact stupid and should probably post all their questions in this area... Any way back to my question, Me dealer was going to take a drill to my front bumper (GASP) I said no F---ing way, so I have the front plate tie wrapped on right now, does anyone know of a bracket or something that will work on the front of the GT 500???? HELP

go to drivingcomfort.com or google retractablelicenseplate and you will find the coolest toy.....remote control lic.plate ck it out...good luck jim;]

• 2 weeks later...

the temp gauge and the oil pressure gauge on a 2010 built 12/09... the temp gauge normally reads in the "7:00" position while the oil pressure gauge normally reads in the "5:00" position...is this normal? my logic has it the other way around especially since this car radiates so much heat :)

my 2010 is the same way

• 1 month later...

OK! I hope I'm not going to bore anyone with some of my questions. I'm very new to the dark side and want to learn before I get my car. I've been waiting for almost 10 weeks for the car to arrive. Today I received a call from Ford and they said the car was built and waiting for the train car to pick it up. This has been going on for about two weeks. Is this customery?? This will be my first Mustang since 1986 when I bought a coupe LS for my son's graduation present. Since that time I've been a bowtie man. I have been watching the Mustang since 2005 when they changed the body style. Gave up my 2010 Camaro in trade and here I sit waiting for a car I know very little about. Is there reading material available for me to get that would give me some history. I also want to start creating a plan to build the car into a nice street legal 700-800 HP car. I always set up a plan, get all my information and then start getting my parts together. Where to start?? I live in the Pacific NW and I'm looking for a shop who specializes in Mustangs. Does anyone know of one in the state of Washington??

Thanks for any and all information you all can help me with.

Need Help??? K I have 2010,,, been out dragging it a few times last season, put drag radials on it, when warming up the tires in the burn out box, I would put it in everything off mode, hold the brakes and do a brake stand,,, here is the ?... my buddy would see that sometimes only one tire would spin and i would feel the anti locks come on, am I doing something wrong???

Thanks for the imput,,,,,

Sounds like "too much brake". Ease up on the brake pedel some, JUST enough to keep the car from rolling.

That's all I can think of that might do that. My bet is your ABS is kicking on and keeping one rear tire from spinning.

Just a WAG,

Phill

Ok, I'll start it off.

So I'm driving the 2011 vert and see the PSI gauge. The thing doesn't budge. What is this gauge? Is it supposed to be doing something?

So there you have it folks - the first Questions by dummies!

Appreciate answers...in layman's terms!

Thanks!

I just got mine last week and was wondering the same thing. But, the other day as I was getting on the interstate, a bobtail was just ahead of me. He must have seen my car and he moved over to the right as much as possible - giving me the ok to pass him on the on ramp. I downshifted and punched it - OMG! We screamed past him. My wife said she was plastered against the seat. I saw the gauge started to move but we were screaming so fast I couldnt spend a lot of time looking at it ROFL

• 1 month later...

Here's a question for Dummie. In my 2010 GT500 center console lock box, theres a squareish hole closest to the driver, that you can just get your hand through and touch the carpet. I keep losing stuff down there, and it's a pain. Does any one know why the hole is there?

Cheers from New Zealand

Here's a question for Dummie. In my 2010 GT500 center console lock box, theres a squareish hole closest to the driver, that you can just get your hand through and touch the carpet. I keep losing stuff down there, and it's a pain. Does any one know why the hole is there?

Cheers from New Zealand

Mine (2010) has a cover on it. I've always wondered what the hole is there for, figured some sort of access panel or something.

It sounds like you're missing the cover.

Phill

Does the stock exhaust on the GT500 get louder after a break-in period. I have about 1K on the odometer and it seems that the stock exhaust is a little louder ( it a good way) that when I drove it off the show room floor.

thanks

I had 3000 miles on my 2010 before I put the Roush off-road exhaust on it and I didn't notice any change (with the OE exhaust).

Phill

Mine (2010) has a cover on it. I've always wondered what the hole is there for, figured some sort of access panel or something.

It sounds like you're missing the cover.

Phill

Oh! Had a good look with a torch, its the access point to adjust the hand brake cable. Thanks for your help. I will order the cover with my next parts order.

Oh! Had a good look with a torch, its the access point to adjust the hand brake cable.

AH! That's actually good to know. I didn't even know there was a adjustment on that end of the assembly, just the one under the car.

Thanks for the info,

Phill

Does the stock exhaust on the GT500 get louder after a break-in period. I have about 1K on the odometer and it seems that the stock exhaust is a little louder ( it a good way) that when I drove it off the show room floor.

thanks

I've only had mine for a week but the exhaust seems to be producing a more mellow, slightly deeper tone than when I drove out of the dealership.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks

I have 10,400 on my 2010 500 and I think that it does sound a little louder now. I gave a couple of other owners a ride to get their cars in Jan at the Bash and one of them asked if I had modified my exhaust (which I havent). Anyway the factory will probably say that it doesnt get louder, may we are just getting more in tune to the sound so it seems louder?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here we go, my car is supposed to be here in about a week. I stopped by the dealer to shoot the breeze get a delivery date and try to nail down a price. The salesman promptly added $1,000.00 to the price on the Order Conformation sheet, informing me that that was there cost. So now you see what I am dealing with.

Question #1

What is dealer cost? (2011 coupe w/svt pp and cover) I think it should be somewhere around $46,341.00

Question#2 Is MSRP a pretty common price or should I try to beat them down? and if so how much?

Question #3 What is the average break-in miliage? The goofy salesman told me 1000 mi.

Question #4 What kind of performance mods can you make without voiding the warranty.

I appreciate any advice anyone has to offer in the midst of this crisis Ha Ha

Thanks

In answer to question #4, I bought my gt500 from Woodhouse Ford, probably one of the best

Ford dealers in the country. They have a specialty performance division and the manager told me any modification from the cat forward can potentially affect the warranty. And by the way, I paid less than sticker!

• 2 months later...

Here's my dumb question, but first a little intro since this is my first post. I just bought my first Ford vehicle ever (GT500) this past weekend. I got a 2011 performance white with Grabber blue strips non svtpp. At least I got the stock shaker 1000 and grabber blue seat inserts which I like. I got her used with 3,000 on the clock. I'm a big GM fan, but I must say I wish I bought this car a lot sooner, it's awesome. I love everything about it. I'm glad I didn't buy the Boss 302 instead. Anyways I look forward to gaining a lot of knowledge from everyone on this forum. Ok, on to the dumb question. When I get after it on the highway and I mean really get after it. I can smell what I can only described as an engine smell coming into the car through the vent. It doesn't last, but 2 or 3 minutes if that and then it goes away. It does not smell like buring oil either. Other than that I never have an odor problem with the car. Was just wondering if that was normal do to the fact that I hope there's nothing wrong with my new toy. Thanks.

P.S. I just discovered to Sport Button, this car keeps on getting better and better.

Here's my dumb question, but first a little intro since this is my first post. I just bought my first Ford vehicle ever (GT500) this past weekend. I got a 2011 performance white with Grabber blue strips non svtpp. At least I got the stock shaker 1000 and grabber blue seat inserts which I like. I got her used with 3,000 on the clock. I'm a big GM fan, but I must say I wish I bought this car a lot sooner, it's awesome. I love everything about it. I'm glad I didn't buy the Boss 302 instead. Anyways I look forward to gaining a lot of knowledge from everyone on this forum. Ok, on to the dumb question. When I get after it on the highway and I mean really get after it. I can smell what I can only described as an engine smell coming into the car through the vent. It doesn't last, but 2 or 3 minutes if that and then it goes away. It does not smell like buring oil either. Other than that I never have an odor problem with the car. Was just wondering if that was normal do to the fact that I hope there's nothing wrong with my new toy. Thanks.

P.S. I just discovered to Sport Button, this car keeps on getting better and better.

I noticed this with my Shelby GT when I got the supercharger on it. I think what you smell is a side effect of the heat generated by the supercharger. Mine was black and I always attributed it to the heating and outgassing of the paint, but it might just be the heat only.

I noticed this with my Shelby GT when I got the supercharger on it. I think what you smell is a side effect of the heat generated by the supercharger. Mine was black and I always attributed it to the heating and outgassing of the paint, but it might just be the heat only.

I occasionally get a "burning rubber" smell from my car when I get out of it at home.

It's ususally when I have the TC *OFF* (hold brake and TC button until dash says "Advance Track OFF")) but not necessarily spinning my tires (that I KNOW of).

I'm thinking it's either the SC belt or the tires are slightly spinning, without me knowing it and as I drive it, they're getting hot enough to smell.

I noticed it after coming back from Denver two times (about 90 miles total trip).

If it smells like Anti Freeze (pretty distinct, if you know the smell) you COULD have a very small leak/seep in your heater core. The core will make the AF evaporate (from the heat) and you'll smell anti freeze coming out of the vents. Keep a close eye on your engine coolant level!

Phill

Clutch slipping maybe?

Naw, a slipping clutch also has a VERY distinctive odor. I know it well. This is definately "burning rubber" smell. Just like when you light the tires up, but without me lighting them up. Oh, and not *nearly* as strong. You can smell it but can't pin-point where it's coming from. My wife smelled it when she got out on the pass side and I smelled it on the drivers side. I put my palm on the tires and felt them to see if they were scorching hot and they weren't. THAT concerned me...It smells SO much like tires burning I figured it was. What concerns me is the next (likely) rubber item is the Serpentine or SC belt. I have a Shelby (Metco) Aux. Idler pulley on my Whipple 2.9L SC and I've read a lot of them failing.

The "new car" burnt smell went away quite some time back. When I put a set of FRPP Ceramic Coated headers and a Roush Extreme (cat back) exhaust on it, it came back until all of the oil from production burned off (and the aluminum coating baked on) so I know it's not that.

Brake pad smell is also distinct, very similar to clutch but *slightly* different.

Rear Gear lube is also distinct smelling and Anti Freeze too.

I was in the business most of my life and I'm pretty familiar with all the different smells (I always used "smell" as a diagnostic tool).

It *almost* has to be tires.....but there's so much other rubber on the car, I'm afraid of focusing on the tires and letting the...uhh (for instance), exhaust hangers burn up and catch on fire.

Thanks for the input,

Phill

• 2 weeks later...

OK...My stupid question...

I have a 2012 GT500 Performance White with Performance Package and Recaro seats. In the package description it states "Unique" shifter knob. What is the "Unique" shifter knob supposed to look like? No one knows what the unique shifter knob is...any help with this would be appreciated! (in the car is a white basic looking knob) Mahalo Nui Loa! Paul

OK...My stupid question...

I have a 2012 GT500 Performance White with Performance Package and Recaro seats. In the package description it states "Unique" shifter knob. What is the "Unique" shifter knob supposed to look like? No one knows what the unique shifter knob is...any help with this would be appreciated! (in the car is a white basic looking knob) Mahalo Nui Loa! Paul

The "Base" GT500 has two black stripes on the knob that run through the position numbers.

The SVT PP shift knob is solid white (no stripes) with black numbers & letter ® on it.

I personally LIKE the double stripes on my OEM shift knob that match the double stripes on my seats and the double Over The Top/OTT stripes on the exterior.

Hope This Helps/HTH,

Phill