TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Questions by dummies: post any question here!

66DNA

Ive got a Gen 1, and love it. I thought about upgrading, but I don't have any issues with the Gen 1. SOLID is the word that describes this shifter. The stock one caused me so many problems: 1) engaging 1st at a stop and 2) revving 1st out to redline, and not getting 2nd sometimes. No issues now. Oh and ADD THE AMSOIL ATF!! Fixes all cold shifting notchiness.

I went with Royal Purple myself. But not until just recently.

Phill

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

2nd gear issue; 2012 GT500.

I have read as many threads as I am able to find here and curious if anyone else has / had something similar to me.

1st noticed when I drove to Carlisle PA to the Ford Nationals. After a long drive - couple hours on the hwy, I was not able to get into 2nd gear downshifting from 3rd in traffic. Was like it was not there; no where to go to.

It is a scary thing when downshifting in traffic and can't get to 2nd.

Eventually 2nd is found (after sitting at a dead stop for a few minutes) but it was mushy (for lack of a better description) and I could slush into 2nd gear from a dead stop. After the car cooled off when I got to the hotel all was fine. (had to do a beer run)

Happened again this past weekend when I went for a couple hour drive and once again found traffic and was unable to get into 2nd gear. Had to use brakes from 3rd. Can get to 2nd from 1st when starting from a dead stop and is slushy (definitely the shift to 2nd does not feel 'normal').

Once again after stop and go traffic for a few miles was able to use the slushy 2nd gate.

I really don't get it, and this only happens after a long drive and (IMO & best guess) there is significant heat from all the moving internals for the extended period.

Not 100% sure this will be fixed with a replacement shifter and curious if this occurrence is mine alone.

If you had similar, please reply and what did you do to fix.

Not sure if I should try calling FoMoCo direct to ask, as I am pretty confident the dealer will not find or duplicate. I will not leave my car for LONG drive to see if they can duplicate.

Thank you.

SHELBY EH I understand you not wanting to leave it at the dealership. If the car is out of warranty I would start with draining the gearbox and refilling with either Amsoil or Royal Purple. With what your describing it doesn't seem like the shifter is the issue or it would most likely do it all the time. It's also possible that it's clutch related. GL

Edited by 08KR525

• 9 months later...

Ok here it goes...

I received a 1/14 scale GT500 radio controlled car, as a gift, in red. It's the licensed one from Shelby. Looks great on my desk! I want to change the color. Any idea on paint / plastic compatibility? Which paint type to go with? I don't want to melt the plastic, yet don't really want to test an area on the car either.

I'm thinking someone here has already done this. Then I would need a set of 1/14 scale flat black vinyl stripe decal kit (long shot).

Thanks

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

750rwhp is the ultimate safe limit, but watch out people have blown motors at this power level. 700rwhp is considered safe. At these big power levels revs will kill, and make sure your injectors are up to the task (clean and blueprinted/flow checked)!

???

Edited by 1 Alibi 2

???

In reference to the 750rwhp remark....

I am conservative by nature, and base my recommendation on a few GT500s that I have followed their build up throughout the years, once they hit 750rwhp combined with an aggressive driving style, including high RPM shifts, on stickier than OEM tires, they have had engine failures. Dyno queens, or cars driving at no where near their, greater than 750rwhp power levels, on a daily basis, can make dyno pulls in the 750-850rwhp range, but a "flash in the pan" is not a real test of durability.

I would not fault the stock block, and it's related componets, if they didn't survive many miles (10-20k), driven hard, at the 750rwhp+ mark.

Edited by ShelbyGT5HUN

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have a 2012 Gt500 and it came with a Metco pulley on the supercharger. The problem is I'm not really sure which size. Could anyone post a picture of their 2.60 and a 2.80 and see if there's any differences? I think that the 2.60 and the 2.80 actually have different looks to them?

• 3 months later...

Are GT500's real Shelbys?

Short answer, "No."

I asked this question when I was at Shelby American. The 2007-2014 model years, never went to Shelby, nor did they have any input on the design of the car. It's just the name they licensed to Ford. The 2008-2009 King of the Roads (KRs) WERE shipped and final assembled (not totally built from the ground up), at Shelby American. These King of the Roads ARE real Shelbys, with SAI the manufacturer on record, on the title.

Short answer, "No."

I asked this question when I was at Shelby American. The 2007-2014 model years, never went to Shelby, nor did they have any input on the design of the car. It's just the name they licensed to Ford. The 2008-2009 King of the Roads (KRs) WERE shipped and final assembled (not totally built from the ground up), at Shelby American. These King of the Roads ARE real Shelbys, with SAI the manufacturer on record, on the title.

Wrong

Specifically?

You are wrong. Carroll Shelby and SVT engineers worked together to design the 2007-2014 GT500. It is a Shelby, just by different means than Shelby's shop. They were designed from scratch to be Shelbys. Even their VINs say they are Shelbys.

Edit: Their owners can even report them on the Shelby registry.

Nice job, Ilmor! :club:

Edited by Secondo

Specifically?

Yeah, kicking an old topic without going back and looking at all the other times this has been discussed. SEARCH can be your friend. What I can guarantee you is that there will be no new information or lightbulb-above-the-head moments here.

Edited by twobjshelbys

Yeah, kicking an old topic without going back and looking at all the other times this has been discussed. SEARCH can be your friend. What I can guarantee you is that there will be no new information or lightbulb-above-the-head moments here.

+1 this is a very old and much discussed subject.

So you were there, when I filmed SA's, direct reply to this exact question, during the shop tour Q+A session, one year ago? You should've introduced yourselves... Since you three, seem to know so much, perhaps, either of you, should be conducting the shop tour, at Shelby American, and be the one answering questions, on the record, instead of spinning your tires here, in this forum :lol:

They CLEARLY said the 2007-1014's are NOT Shelby's, and SA had NO input in the design. Do you want to view the video I made? 2007+ GT500's are great SVT cars, but are NOT Shelbys. Sorry to tell you.

The King of the Road versions, are true Shelby's.

Edited by ShelbyGT5HUN

A quick YouTube search and you can see Mr. Shelby reviewing the 2007 GT500 when it was just a clay model. Or a video of him driving the test mule which was disguise as a normal mustang GT at the Ford proving grounds.

I will not comment any further on this subject because the the idea that Shelby had nothing to do with the Shelby GT500 is laughable and not worth my time.

Oh and by the way the title for my car shows Ford as the make and GT500 as the model. No where does it say SA or KR. So I guess according to my title I don't own a real Shelby. ?

What I find funny in this whole thing is the guy that asked this question originally did it as joke. "Questions by Dummies" lol.

Edited by sheppd01

So you were there, when I filmed SA's, direct reply to this exact question, during the shop tour Q+A session, one year ago? You should've introduced yourselves... Since you three, seem to know so much, perhaps, either of you, should be conducting the shop tour, at Shelby American, and be the one answering questions, on the record, instead of spinning your tires here, in this forum :lol:

They CLEARLY said the 2007-1014's are NOT Shelby's, and SA had NO input in the design. Do you want to view the video I made? 2007+ GT500's are great SVT cars, but are NOT Shelbys. Sorry to tell you.

The King of the Road versions, are true Shelby's.

Your salespersons were telling you exactly what you wanted to hear. I got my information from a book written about the creation of the current Shelby-Ford relationship and it clearly states that Carroll himself worked with SVT for 2 weeks straight creating the 2007 GT500. It even quoted him. I'd take that as more credible than your word or your salesman. Carroll also clearly stated that any car with his name on it is a Shelby.

Your salespersons were telling you exactly what you wanted to hear. I got my information from a book written about the creation of the current Shelby-Ford relationship and it clearly states that Carroll himself worked with SVT for 2 weeks straight creating the 2007 GT500. It even quoted him. I'd take that as more credible than your word or your salesman. Carroll also clearly stated that any car with his name on it is a Shelby.

You are totally correct as I was at Dearborn at a SAAC convention the time Shelby had been their for the two week period. I arrived a day early checked into the hotel & was passing the bar area when I noticed Carroll & Cleo sitting at the bar ,not sure who Carroll was talking to but there was an empty chair beside Cleo & so I sat down introduced myself & offered to buy her a drink. While talking to her I ask her if they just arrived for the convention & she said no Carroll & I have been here for almost two weeks. Two weeks I said what brought you here for that length of time & then she let it out , well Carroll is here working with Ford on a new Shelby & don`t you say anything to anyone or he will kill me ,its to be announced at the SAAC dinner. So at the dinner when Carroll got up to speak he told us of a new vehicle coming down the pipeline & that he was working with SVT people at Ford.

Edited by shelby001

You are totally correct as I was at Dearborn at a SAAC convention the time Shelby had been their for the two week period. I arrived a day early checked into the hotel & was passing the bar area when I noticed Carroll & Cleo sitting at the bar ,not sure who Carroll was talking to but there was an empty chair beside Cleo & so I sat down introduced myself & offered to buy her a drink. While talking to her I ask her if they just arrived for the convention & she said no Carroll & I have been here for almost two weeks. Two weeks I said what brought you here for that length of time & then she let it out , well Carroll is here working with Ford on a new Shelby & don`t you say anything to anyone or he will kill me ,its to be announced at the SAAC dinner. So at the dinner when Carroll got up to speak he told us of a new vehicle coming down the pipeline & that he was working with SVT people at Ford.

Thank you Shelby001 for the info and confirming what was written in the book. Can't get any more or less Shelby than that!

:happy feet: