TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Traction Super snake wheels and tires

I have done some research on the griggs suspension and I dont think you can have a wheel wider than 11". I am looking for someone who has a Toyo R888 315 tire on a 11", What is the tire width on a 11"? 11-1/2?

Shane

who knows.... lol.

i would question what about griggs makes bigger than an 11" wheel be a

problem exactly, a 315 tire may just be the same problem due to the addition of width.

yet, traction, was the most important thing to me on that car.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

who knows.... lol.

i would question what about griggs makes bigger than an 11" wheel be a

problem exactly, a 315 tire may just be the same problem due to the addition of width.

yet, traction, was the most important thing to me on that car.

The 315 tire will fit, but the rim is in question because some of the griggs parts are located near the rim.

I have done some research on the griggs suspension and I dont think you can have a wheel wider than 11". I am looking for someone who has a Toyo R888 315 tire on a 11", What is the tire width on a 11"? 11-1/2?

Shane

I have the Griggs Lower Torque arm along with there relocation brackets on my car with my 12's and have no issues. I am not running the watts link (dont think you need it on a street car).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

HI all...I am just a little GT500 peon, but I bow down and humbly ask for assistance.

I sold my stock rims with F1 supercar tires. Still have 20" rims but now 3 piece forged Asantis, 9" front, 10.5" rear. They came with GEFORCE KDW2's. THEY SUCK! 1st gear is useless. Of course, the temp has dropped into the 60s, so I know that matters, but still...

This thread is excellent, I see Toyo or MIchelin are recommended. My gut tells me to get Michelin, they appear to be more all season...do you agree?

Just wanting some damn traction...I plan on installing a TVS blower soon and it will only get worse. Do you recommend I widen my rear rims from 10.5 to maybe 11.5? And if you would, what tired width would you recommend for both front and rear?

I currently have 255's in front, 285's in rear. From what I can tell my 10.5' s can support 315s...but should I go wider. I also notice that my old supercar tires at 265 in the fronts cornered much better than these stupid KDW's.

Bow out!

HI all...I am just a little GT500 peon, but I bow down and humbly ask for assistance.

I sold my stock rims with F1 supercar tires. Still have 20" rims but now 3 piece forged Asantis, 9" front, 10.5" rear. They came with GEFORCE KDW2's. THEY SUCK! 1st gear is useless. Of course, the temp has dropped into the 60s, so I know that matters, but still...

This thread is excellent, I see Toyo or MIchelin are recommended. My gut tells me to get Michelin, they appear to be more all season...do you agree?

Just wanting some damn traction...I plan on installing a TVS blower soon and it will only get worse. Do you recommend I widen my rear rims from 10.5 to maybe 11.5? And if you would, what tired width would you recommend for both front and rear?

I currently have 255's in front, 285's in rear. From what I can tell my 10.5' s can support 315s...but should I go wider. I also notice that my old supercar tires at 265 in the fronts cornered much better than these stupid KDW's.

Bow out!

No need to feel like a peon, we are all performance car enthusiasts.

Most of the rear wheel widening for the Alcoa's has been 11-3/4, 11-7/8 and 12. This width supports 315, 325 and 335 tires, BUT.................it is because of the Alcoa offset that these wider rims can be used.

The fronts range from 9"-10" Alcoa's, and the tires that are known to fit are 255 and 275.

^^^Again, all of this discussion is for the Alcoa wheel and its offset which places the outer lip further out than some other wheels that are available.

R

No need to feel like a peon, we are all performance car enthusiasts.

Most of the rear wheel widening for the Alcoa's has been 11-3/4, 11-7/8 and 12. This width supports 315, 325 and 335 tires, BUT.................it is because of the Alcoa offset that these wider rims can be used.

The fronts range from 9"-10" Alcoa's, and the tires that are known to fit are 255 and 275.

^^^Again, all of this discussion is for the Alcoa wheel and its offset which places the outer lip further out than some other wheels that are available.

R

My rear 10.5" rims actually do have a custom offset (nice deep dish look to it, at least relative to the fronts). They are the same ones sold by evolution performance. They went on with plenty of room to spare.

My rear 10.5" rims actually do have a custom offset (nice deep dish look to it, at least relative to the fronts). They are the same ones sold by evolution performance. They went on with plenty of room to spare.

If the outer lip is positioned like the Alcoa wheel then widening to the widths mentioned above will work. I currently have a 275/35 on a 10" Alcoa mounted on the front of my Super Snake. The 275 on a 10" fits nice, I am not sure, but I would think that a 315 on a 10.5 "may" get to be too fat looking. If I remember correctly there have been some pictures of 305's mounted on 10" Alcoa's and they were getting on the wide side, a 10.5 or 11" for the 305 would have been a better fit, and now we are discussing a 315, I would think that a minimum rim width for proper fit would be 11" or maybe 11.25"?

Of course the 315 will mount on the 10.5" rim, but does it really fit properly is the question?

With the Alcoa's the front and rear outward appearance is the same, no deeper looking rear or anything like that. All width is to the inside and the fronts and rears will interchange front to back and back to front.

R

I have the Alcoa 20's on my '09 GT500. I just purchased the Toyo 315 30 ZR 20 for the rears because as soon as snow falls the wheels are coming off and being sent to Weldcraft for wideing. I lowered the car front and rear with Steeda springs, I believe my best bet is to have the wheels widened to 11.75, sound like the plan?

I see the Pilot Super Sports have come out since most of this thread was written. By all accounts, they are an improvement over previous PS2's.

On Tire Rack, it states under specs that 10.5" is the low threshold for the 315's. For the Super Sports in 20", my choices are 285, 295, 315, and (gulp) 345! Hmm, maybe 295's would be the perfect width for my 10.5" rims?

Or, I could attempt 315's since it says they fit. Not sure it would be worth paying to widen my 10.5' Asanti's to accomodate a tire width that "May" already fit.

I see the Pilot Super Sports have come out since most of this thread was written. By all accounts, they are an improvement over previous PS2's.

On Tire Rack, it states under specs that 10.5" is the low threshold for the 315's. For the Super Sports in 20", my choices are 285, 295, 315, and (gulp) 345! Hmm, maybe 295's would be the perfect width for my 10.5" rims?

Or, I could attempt 315's since it says they fit. Not sure it would be worth paying to widen my 10.5' Asanti's to accomodate a tire width that "May" already fit.

If you have a friend at a tire shop, maybe he could order you a 315, just for a "test fitting" with the agreement that you will buy if it fits properly? If not, a 295 should definitely be in the right range for the 10.5.

R

Ok, here is the deal. I am fighting two issues...traction, but also looks (how wheel well is filled up).

I currently have BFGoodrich GEFORCE KDW2 tires. They are just "ok". I would say they don't grip quite as well as the stock F1 Supercar's, and don't corner as well either. But, they came with my new wheels.

I am thinking about changing tires (selling these) next Spring, and buying the new Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Since I now have a 10.5" rim in the rear, I will probably go with 315/35R20.

Going from the F1 285/35R20 down to KDW2 285/30R20, increased my fender "gap" by 0.6". Not what I want!

If I go with the Pilot Super Sports, they are actually a tad bit taller than my stocks by 0.4"...thus, the change from KDW2 to them would erase a full 1.0 INCH of wheel well space!

Not only that, but a 110 mm sidewall height will provide better launching capability overall I'm sure.

Currently with my KDW's, I have a 1.75" fender gap up front, and 2.50" gap in rear! Ouch! Upgrading to the 315's would bring me to 1.50" gap in rear...ah, nice! Then, I would not have to lower anything.

I'm hoping it would look ok having a bigger tire in the rear like that. I REALLY REALLY noticed a loss of traction going from a 35 to a 30 profile. I"m hoping going with the taller 315/35's would kill two birds.

Just wondering, anyone on here ever have mismatched brands front and rear? Not sure if that would look dumb or anything.

dbackg...

What would you do if you were me....spend money to widen my rims to 11.5" and then buy the 315's, or, leave the 10.5" alone and buy 295's? I"m leaning towards the latter. The only other sizes go right up to 345 lol (for michelins).

You have 20 x 10.5" wheels?

try the Toyo Proxes R888. 315/30's @ 27.6" tall.

http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/proxes-r888-high-performance-competition-tires

I think the toyos run a little on the smaller size.

miamimtg loves them.

You may want to consider the nitto invo's 295/35's @ 28.11" tall

http://www.nittotire.com/Tire/invo#size

I have mismatch front and rears.

I have the nitto invo's 275/35's on the fronts = i love them.

335's really REALLY fill up the wheel well ... to the MAX. They are SO FAT. I love them.

335's really require a watts link, because there is NO room for lateral side movement.

Want to see how big 335's are?

Goto 12:45

Rear end shot @ 21:02

Another option is the rear end spring perch. 1/4"

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/70334-rear-spring-perch

Good luck.

Ok, here is the deal. I am fighting two issues...traction, but also looks (how wheel well is filled up).

I currently have BFGoodrich GEFORCE KDW2 tires. They are just "ok". I would say they don't grip quite as well as the stock F1 Supercar's, and don't corner as well either. But, they came with my new wheels.

I am thinking about changing tires (selling these) next Spring, and buying the new Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Since I now have a 10.5" rim in the rear, I will probably go with 315/35R20.

Going from the F1 285/35R20 down to KDW2 285/30R20, increased my fender "gap" by 0.6". Not what I want!

If I go with the Pilot Super Sports, they are actually a tad bit taller than my stocks by 0.4"...thus, the change from KDW2 to them would erase a full 1.0 INCH of wheel well space!

Not only that, but a 110 mm sidewall height will provide better launching capability overall I'm sure.

Currently with my KDW's, I have a 1.75" fender gap up front, and 2.50" gap in rear! Ouch! Upgrading to the 315's would bring me to 1.50" gap in rear...ah, nice! Then, I would not have to lower anything.

I'm hoping it would look ok having a bigger tire in the rear like that. I REALLY REALLY noticed a loss of traction going from a 35 to a 30 profile. I"m hoping going with the taller 315/35's would kill two birds.

Just wondering, anyone on here ever have mismatched brands front and rear? Not sure if that would look dumb or anything.

I have the 315-35-20 michelin pilot ss on 11.5 razors and 275-35-20 0n 9 inch razors they look great with ford racing springs it is winter here so I don't know about traction I hope it helps at least to get to use part of 2nd gear with 805 flywheel HP and 677TQ at the rear wheels I will find out this summer 428cj

dbackg...

What would you do if you were me....spend money to widen my rims to 11.5" and then buy the 315's, or, leave the 10.5" alone and buy 295's? I"m leaning towards the latter. The only other sizes go right up to 345 lol (for michelins).

max it out. even maxed out is is not enough traction. you will still burn through first gear like a duck on ice. think, "maximum".

Ok, so my choices for Michelin Super Sports are 295 or 315 for my 10.5" rims. I gotta go with the specs...if Michelin says 10.5" rims will work with 315's, I've gotta believe they are ok. Not middle of range, but why would they have a range if it was not safe?

Here is the kicker...the 295's are actually over $100 more PER TIRE than the 315's! Probably because they go on stupid Ferrari's! So...365 per tire or 475 per tire. We are only talking 20mm, which is 7% wider (315 over 295's). I think I'm gonna take the plunge and get the 315's. We will see how they fit...from what I can tell I have space with my 285's. Sounds like the boot and that metal flange area might have to be modified...but then again my Asanti's have a custom offset from Lethal so we shall see.

A nice side effect is increasing my tire height as well. I currently have 2.5" of space, this will cut it down to about 1.5" which will fit nicer without lowering springs. My wheel will literally grow a solid 1" all the way around the circumference. Not only will it look better ( I hope ), but the larger diameter tire should handle all that torque better. It won't break loose as easy as these puny 285/30's. I noticed a big difference going from stock 285/35 to 285/30. 1st gear has been rendered useless...whereas before the stock tires would hook pretty darn good (we are talking 550 hp not 750).

I guess in terms of grip when launching in 1st gear...would 295/35 or 315/35 result in more grip? I know you want a longer (front to rear) contact patch for linear grip. The 315's are 2.3lb heavier and 0.6" taller.

DiscountTire.com is the cheapest place I could find...anyone find them cheaper anywhere else?

EDIT: I found my front tire sizes cheaper at this place: http://www.buywheelstoday.com/products/Pilot+Super+Sport.bwt

Ok, so my choices for Michelin Super Sports are 295 or 315 for my 10.5" rims. I gotta go with the specs...if Michelin says 10.5" rims will work with 315's, I've gotta believe they are ok. Not middle of range, but why would they have a range if it was not safe?

Here is the kicker...the 295's are actually over $100 more PER TIRE than the 315's! Probably because they go on stupid Ferrari's! So...365 per tire or 475 per tire. We are only talking 20mm, which is 7% wider (315 over 295's). I think I'm gonna take the plunge and get the 315's. We will see how they fit...from what I can tell I have space with my 285's. Sounds like the boot and that metal flange area might have to be modified...but then again my Asanti's have a custom offset from Lethal so we shall see.

A nice side effect is increasing my tire height as well. I currently have 2.5" of space, this will cut it down to about 1.5" which will fit nicer without lowering springs. My wheel will literally grow a solid 1" all the way around the circumference. Not only will it look better ( I hope ), but the larger diameter tire should handle all that torque better. It won't break loose as easy as these puny 285/30's. I noticed a big difference going from stock 285/35 to 285/30. 1st gear has been rendered useless...whereas before the stock tires would hook pretty darn good (we are talking 550 hp not 750).

I guess in terms of grip when launching in 1st gear...would 295/35 or 315/35 result in more grip? I know you want a longer (front to rear) contact patch for linear grip. The 315's are 2.3lb heavier and 0.6" taller.

DiscountTire.com is the cheapest place I could find...anyone find them cheaper anywhere else?

EDIT: I found my front tire sizes cheaper at this place: http://www.buywheelstoday.com/products/Pilot+Super+Sport.bwt

I am interested in seeing what these taller 315/35's look like installed. The owner who used the 305/35's on his Super Snake with 10" Alcoa's said that he had contact issues when his kids rode in the rear seat. I would guess that the 315/35 is even taller? <<Not a big deal if no one rides in the back seat, but if they are taller, it may require lifting the rear of the car to avoid contact on some bumps?

........................and then again it may be just right for a stock GT500 ride height?

R

issues are; a) custom offset. that's not enough info. offset changes everything and where they sit, or even rub. B) horsepower; is this a supersnake? if its 550 horsepower you will need a different set up than a 750 hp car. c) assuming some of a) and B) it sounds like you will be fine! in various directions along-which you are investigating, to me. it gets more and more critical as the horsepower increases.

issues are; a) custom offset. that's not enough info. offset changes everything and where they sit, or even rub. B) horsepower; is this a supersnake? if its 550 horsepower you will need a different set up than a 750 hp car. c) assuming some of a) and B) it sounds like you will be fine! in various directions along-which you are investigating, to me. it gets more and more critical as the horsepower increases.

there are various pics of my supersnake throughout these traction posts with detailed pics of '315' 30 x 20 toyo R888's on, to view ~ somewhere page 3 i think. the supersnake is lowered so the 30 and the lowered should be pretty close in wheel well filled-ness..

OK ALL...I took a picture of my rear tires as they stand now with 10.5" rims and 285's. Looks to me like there is good room...do you agree 315's might work then?

And I'm no expert, but it sure looks like the edges of my current tires (285's) look almost too small, how they curve back in. I think I could stand to have some more tread!

IMG_1555.JPG

OK ALL...I took a picture of my rear tires as they stand now with 10.5" rims and 285's. Looks to me like there is good room...do you agree 315's might work then?

And I'm no expert, but it sure looks like the edges of my current tires (285's) look almost too small, how they curve back in. I think I could stand to have some more tread!

IMG_1555.JPG

Plenty of room. The bulge of the 315's will fill that area out. You will have to see if you are happy with the tire profile once it is mounted on the 10.5.

Where does this 285/10.5 set up end up on the outside appearance, looking down the side of the car? Where does the rim outer lip sit in comparision to the rear fender lip?

I agree that the 285 on that rim does look small, but I also know that not all tires of the same size are in fact the same size. It all depends upon where the specific tire manufacturer measures their tires. <<There is no standard in this measurement, that is why some tires are smaller and some are wider when comparing the same exact size.

That appears to be a BFG KDW2 that you currently have.

R

Plenty of room. The bulge of the 315's will fill that area out. You will have to see if you are happy with the tire profile once it is mounted on the 10.5.

Where does this 285/10.5 set up end up on the outside appearance, looking down the side of the car? Where does the rim outer lip sit in comparision to the fender lip?

R

IMG_1556.JPG

IMG_1557.JPG

IMG_1558.JPG

Now you can see why I want a taller tire LOL.

The 315's would literally add 1" all around the entire tire. Not to mention it would likely handle my torque better.

FYI This is not a supersnake, just a "regular" GT500 but I'm fixing to install a TVS blower.

IMG_1556.JPG

IMG_1557.JPG

IMG_1558.JPG

Now you can see why I want a taller tire LOL.

The 315's would literally add 1" all around the entire tire. Not to mention it would likely handle my torque better.

FYI This is not a supersnake, just a "regular" GT500 but I'm fixing to install a TVS blower.

I like that color.

The only thing that concerns me is that I see your tire bulge right at, or slightly past the rear fender lip currently. This is with a considerably narrower 285. Once you mount a 315 on that same rim, you may be sticking out much further that you like................

Basically you will be adding 1"+ total tire width and this will stick the 315 out approx. 1/2"+ more than the 285 already is. You might want to lay a straight edge across the tire bulge with the rear tires off of the ground, it can even be a 2x4 and see how much the tires currently go past the rear fender lip. Then add an additional 1/2" to that and see if you are going to be happy with that look.

If your current 285 KDW2 runs on the narrower end of the 285 spectrum, and the 315 that you are looking at runs on the wider end, the "sticking out" could be much more than 1/2" additional.

The only other option will be to widen the rims toward the inside............

R

a tape measure and old fashioned mathematics went a long way for me. i suggest you measure out where you are and you choices to where you are going - inside your wheel well and make an equation out of this. it will get you where you want to go, the rest you do by eye in the end....

Yup basically did that. Getting the 315/35's would leave me with 1.5" wheel well gap (vertical), but would stick out either side of the rim another 15 mm or 0.60".

I know that my tires will be 4 lbs heavier than they are now...but right now they loose traction way too easily. I would rather have a tad bit more weight and height on the wheel so that it DOES NOT break traction, because once that occurs, it's all over. Err on the side of caution.

I found a used pair of Super Sport 315's for 550. The guy said they did not fit on his sissy SS Camaro...hahaha. Said it rubbed so he took them off after 200 miles. So, I will inspect them first, and if there is not damage, I will get them. Then sell my KDW2's and buy new front ones too.

BTW, I am selling my KDW2's...front 2 are BRAND NEW LITERALLY pulled sticker off last week...255/35R20, and rears have 900 miles 285/30R20. The tread design looks like flames, pretty neat...but I want super sports. $875 shipped for all four tires.

Archived