TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Traction Super snake wheels and tires

Thank you Robert.

Yes you are correct.

The SS stock rim/tire setup = 27.7" tall = the SS Alcoas are 20" x 10" riding on Pirelli PZero 275/35/20.

Multiple tire websites & Pierelli's own website confirm the Pirelli PZero 275/35/20 is 27.7".

I should have done better research @ midnight on a Saturday night. ha. lol. confused.gif

I am glad this post exists so that we all can learn and enjoy our girls as they should.

According to Alex, apparently our girls are equipped with a speedometer .... lol.

+.3" on the PS2 or -.1 on the Toyos - should not make much of a difference on the speedo.

I think I will widen to 11.5" and go with the Michelin's or Toyo Proxes R888.

Info on Michelin Pilot Sport PS2:

http://www.michelinm...s2/tire-details

Info on Toyo Proxes R888: - nice video:

http://toyotires.com...ern/proxes-r888

This post for sure has laid down the correct path for better traction for our SS brotherhood.

This post should be a sticky.

To all, I appreciate and thank you for the input. salute.gif

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Robert.

Yes you are correct.

The SS stock rim/tire setup = 27.7" tall = the SS Alcoas are 20" x 10" riding on Pirelli PZero 275/35/20.

Multiple tire websites & Pierelli's own website confirm the Pirelli PZero 275/35/20 is 27.7".

I should have done better research @ midnight on a Saturday night. ha. lol. confused.gif

I am glad this post exists so that we all can learn and enjoy our girls as they should.

According to Alex, apparently our girls are equipped with a speedometer .... lol.

+.3" on the PS2 or -.1 on the Toyos - should not make much of a difference on the speedo.

I think I will widen to 11.5" and go with the Michelin's or Toyo Proxes R888.

Info on Michelin Pilot Sport PS2:

http://www.michelinm...s2/tire-details

Info on Toyo Proxes R888: - nice video:

http://toyotires.com...ern/proxes-r888

This post for sure has laid down the correct path for better traction for our SS brotherhood.

This post should be a sticky.

To all, I appreciate and thank you for the input. salute.gif

You're welcome.

My first experience with two identical size tires being completely different in "real world size" happened in 2003. I had recently purchased a 1995 Cobra R #108/250 and a 1995 Cobra Convert. w/Removable Hardtop #14/499. Both cars came with 255/45ZR17's as original equip, the 95R with BFG Comp T/A's, the 95 2-Top Cobra w/Goodyear GSC's. Like I said, both 255/45ZR17's, but two different manufacturers. Since these tires were either getting ready to be obsolete or already obsolete I wanted a spare set of NOS originals for each of these rare SVT Cobra's, you know, so I could keep them 100 point MCA correct for the bigger Mustang shows, once the original tires were worn (or dry rotted), which ever came first.

I stacked each set of tires up in the back of my garage, and when I glanced back at them I noticed that the stack of four BFG Comp. T/A's were almost 2" taller than the stack of four Goodyear GSC's, remember all eight tires were 255/45ZR17. Once I took one BFG off of the stack and placed it tread to tread with a single GSC, I realized that they were not the same physical size, the GSC was a smaller tire, smaller in tread width and shorter in overall diameter. After that first hand experience with "tire differences" I have read in multiple articles on tires that mention the width is standardized, the height is standardized, but where the width is actually measured by each manufacturer is not. Some measure their width where the tire tread just begins to break over the side, others measure their width all the way over the side to the end of the tread, which includes a portion of the sidewall. This can change the complete profile of the tire and the way it fits on a specific rim. It can also be a variance of at least 1" actual tread width (on the ground) between two different brand tires. It makes a difference in tire fitment.

All tires of the same size are not created equal....................

R

All tires of the same size are not created equal....................

R

Isn't that true about a lot of things in life ... lol.

its always about inches. hysterical.gif

doh.gif ... great story. thanks for sharing your pain/anguish.

• 5 months later...

Lee - I would be very grateful if you could post some PICS of you back wheel mounted in the car. I'm very curious to see how those 335's clear the shock/swap bar bracket on the axle.

This is th eonly only I had handy that shows the relation to the sway bar. I did have to wiggly my swaybar a little right because it was a little more to the passenger side. They are tight in there with my 12's, but fit really well. If you need a pic inside the tire to see the shock clearance let me know. I can get a light up in there and take a picture for you.

post-24857-066111100 1291646139_thumb.jpg

post-24857-066111100 1291646139_thumb.jpg

It's called 'texting'. It is used by ppl w iPhones and other Xtra terrestrial newer technologies.

Welcome 2 the 21st century. It's so easy even a caveman can do it.

A better question is: What kind of person has issues with others grammer, in a super snake car forum. Whilst planet earth plumets towards apocalyptic caos. Rhetorical.

NIhilist too eh? Nice.

But Ur grmer stil sux 2 hm skilit....

English is the official language of TS.

NIhilist too eh? Nice.

But Ur grmer stil sux 2 hm skilit....

English is the official language of TS.

Maybe you should transfer all these over and start a new thread called 'grammar

issues on Team Shelby forum for the highly grammar minded female auto enthusiast',

since my grammar seems so important to you.

Now kiss it. post-26660-098121800 1291654782_thumb.jpg

post-26660-098121800 1291654782_thumb.jpg

issues on Team Shelby forum for the highly grammar minded female auto enthusiast',

I'd prefer "How do I resize a photo so that it is larger than a postage stamp?" instead.

Just kidding. Your car looks absolutely nasty with that wheel/tire combination. Nice work.

Tob

I'd prefer "How do I resize a photo so that it is larger than a postage stamp?" instead.

Just kidding. Your car looks absolutely nasty with that wheel/tire combination. Nice work.

Tob

no that is an old original picture. the wider wheels and tires are below.

post-26660-094563000 1292168111_thumb.jpg

post-26660-034920300 1292168122_thumb.jpg

post-26660-098298700 1292168130_thumb.jpg

Toyo Proxes R888 315/30/ZR20

Rim width for Miami = added 1 7/8" = 11.875"

Miami, did you upgrade/modify/change any rear end suspension parts?

What's your suspension setup?

What is your front tire set up?

I like RobertM set up in post #173 below:

http://www.teamshelb...s/page__st__172

Great job and thank you for sharing.

My suspension is eibach pro street which is Shelby 'factory'. I moved my nitto rears to the front. See page one of this post. I find the suspensions come to tight. It bounces like a trampoleen at 120mph+. I have not yet but one day may go to a steeda or Griggs suspension. Traction and handling from wheel tire mod - transforms the car. It is night and day. It is much less terrifying to drive hard. I got back most of 1st and all of 2nd gear. This is how they should all be.

My suspension is eibach pro street which is Shelby 'factory'. I moved my nitto rears to the front. See page one of this post. I find the suspensions come to tight. It bounces like a trampoleen at 120mph+. I have not yet but one day may go to a steeda or Griggs suspension. Traction and handling from wheel tire mod - transforms the car. It is night and day. It is much less terrifying to drive hard. I got back most of 1st and all of 2nd gear. This is how they should all be.

Ride is way better. The double rubber front and back rides softer and more rubbery than the stock bicycle tires. Road noise is non existent. Hell, I'm running no cats and S borla beer can mufflers only so I couldn't hear road noise over my NASCAR sound anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

[/

Yeah tough guy I know it's not easy is it? I was attempting to give you a compliment and suggest that your text language is similar to babbling endlessly to most members. Take it for what it's worth. And wait for a cold day in hades before I kiss anyones rear end. End it.

Ride is way better. The double rubber front and back rides softer and more rubbery than the stock bicycle tires. Road noise is non existent.

That is my guess also. As had been discussed in another thread about road noise and/or ride feel when comparing FRPP and Eibach suspensions................First I need to get a tire upgrade in place, then see how the car feels. I have a feeling that the tires alone will change "what is felt, and what is not" while rolling down the road.

R

That is my guess also. As had been discussed in another thread about road noise and/or ride feel when comparing FRPP and Eibach suspensions................First I need to get a tire upgrade in place, then see how the car feels. I have a feeling that the tires alone will change "what is felt, and what is not" while rolling down the road.

R

yes well step one for me was 'traction'. the car was ice skating or 'drifting' everywhere anytime i hit the gas pedal. i thought it was extremely dangerous and non productive, not to mention plain - 'not right'. so that is what i did correct and it is stupendous. ...next - ride and suspension is another matter. the racers tracking the car mostly say that upon putting on track wheels and tires of 18" the car becomes way better. they say that 20"s are just for show. but i didn't want to change the look of my street car package. if i could've found the matching alcoa 18's i probably would have. also the race track guys say that griggs is the way to go. it is costly though. mine rides less stiff on the double size sticky rubber i am running on. yet, it is still way too stiff in regards to the suspension. i believe that the spring rate is just way too much. like 450 or something. steeda runs half that. my problem mainly comes in at high speed 110+ mph. at that point the eibach becomes a trampoline. one day i would like to change the suspension to continue to dial in the car. my friend has a gt500 with a pulley, 08' and he has steeda suspension and it rides 100% better. yet, his is riding on 18's and not lowered so it will not be an apple to an apple comparison.

yes well step one for me was 'traction'. the car was ice skating or 'drifting' everywhere anytime i hit the gas pedal. i thought it was extremely dangerous and non productive, not to mention plain - 'not right'. so that is what i did correct and it is stupendous. ...next - ride and suspension is another matter. the racers tracking the car mostly say that upon putting on track wheels and tires of 18" the car becomes way better. they say that 20"s are just for show. but i didn't want to change the look of my street car package. if i could've found the matching alcoa 18's i probably would have. also the race track guys say that griggs is the way to go. it is costly though. mine rides less stiff on the double size sticky rubber i am running on. yet, it is still way too stiff in regards to the suspension. i believe that the spring rate is just way too much. like 450 or something. steeda runs half that. my problem mainly comes in at high speed 110+ mph. at that point the eibach becomes a trampoline. one day i would like to change the suspension to continue to dial in the car. my friend has a gt500 with a pulley, 08' and he has steeda suspension and it rides 100% better. yet, his is riding on 18's and not lowered so it will not be an apple to an apple comparison.

Great feedback Miami.

I too am now considering changing out my FRPP FR3 struts & shocks.

Considering: Tokico D-Spec Struts & Shocks.

I am thinking I just don't like the way my girl bounces down the road.

Do you think I could keep the FRPP FR3 springs? The Tokico D-Spec Suspension package "kit" includes new spring and lowers the SS an additional .25" = total 1.5" lower vs the FR3 1.25" lower.

Reason on keeping the FR3 springs = I like the ride height.

Alex, vapor08GT500, says the Tokico D struts/shocks are the best available with 16 adjustable settings.

I wish I had some extra cash to buy some 18" KR rims.

Great feedback Miami.

I too am now considering changing out my FRPP FR3 struts & shocks.

Considering: Tokico D-Spec Struts & Shocks.

I am thinking I just don't like the way my girl bounces down the road.

Do you think I could keep the FRPP FR3 springs? The Tokico D-Spec Suspension package "kit" includes new spring and lowers the SS an additional .25" = total 1.5" lower vs the FR3 1.25" lower.

Reason on keeping the FR3 springs = I like the ride height.

Alex, vapor08GT500, says the Tokico D struts/shocks are the best available with 16 adjustable settings.

I wish I had some extra cash to buy some 18" KR rims.

you know... i am no expert on the suspension, yet. there are those out there that are. so i will defer this question to them. i have the steeda headquarters here in my backyard in pompano. and there's a guy matt or don, who work there that could answer that, over the phone. you could google it and call them and feel free to use my name as a referral. i also would suggest van at revan racing for griggs. ...i'm surprised you can't dial in the height with the steeda spring choices. but i guess you already checked what they offer. - as far as the 18 kr wheels goes, i don't think it's just a money issue. from when i looked, one could absolutely just plain not find them to buy anywhere period. i couldn't. but now that i widened my super snake wheels, that part of my equation is guud. (good). - happy mod-ding.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

you know... i am no expert on the suspension, yet. there are those out there that are. so i will defer this question to them. i have the steeda headquarters here in my backyard in pompano. and there's a guy matt or don, who work there that could answer that, over the phone. you could google it and call them and feel free to use my name as a referral. i also would suggest van at revan racing for griggs. ...i'm surprised you can't dial in the height with the steeda spring choices. but i guess you already checked what they offer. - as far as the 18 kr wheels goes, i don't think it's just a money issue. from when i looked, one could absolutely just plain not find them to buy anywhere period. i couldn't. but now that i widened my super snake wheels, that part of my equation is guud. (good). - happy mod-ding.

I have done some research on the griggs suspension and I dont think you can have a wheel wider than 11". I am looking for someone who has a Toyo R888 315 tire on a 11", What is the tire width on a 11"? 11-1/2?

Shane

Archived