TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rear Back Up Camera on 2010-2011 GT500

Mulanzo

I really want to put a backup cam on m 2011 GT500 which is arriving in a week. It's my first car and I'm not taking any precautions. I even ordered the parking dynamics backup beepers that you install behind the bumpers without drilling any holes!

I've been searching high and low for a DIY mod or aftermarket Faux Gas Cap that lets you integrate the camera in there like the keyhole mods in the 2009 cars. Has anyone done this to their car?

Anyone have any pics of their mods with a backup camera? (Faux gas cap, license plate cam, etc)?

Does anyone have any close up photos of what it looks like BEHIND the faux gas cap on a 2010 GT500?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I really want to put a backup cam on m 2011 GT500 which is arriving in a week. It's my first car and I'm not taking any precautions. I even ordered the parking dynamics backup beepers that you install behind the bumpers without drilling any holes!

I've been searching high and low for a DIY mod or aftermarket Faux Gas Cap that lets you integrate the camera in there like the keyhole mods in the 2009 cars. Has anyone done this to their car?

Anyone have any pics of their mods with a backup camera? (Faux gas cap, license plate cam, etc)?

Does anyone have any close up photos of what it looks like BEHIND the faux gas cap on a 2010 GT500?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

with 4 grandkids, id like one too---arriving in a week--that means its already shipped??

• 2 weeks later...

So after a long day of searching and speaking to a Master Ford Technician, I have discovered a few things that I am going to try when I get my car on Monday (crossing fingers!)...

These are the instructions he gave me: First I needed to find a 2011 Mustang GT with all the same options as my car + the reverse camera.

Using Burning Blue Star IV's technique for pulling VINs for the 2010-2011 GT500s, I grabbed about 200 vins from the 2011 Mustang GTs and went through each to find a car with the same features as my car in addition to the Rear Video Camera.

I found this VIN: 1ZVBP8CF4B5108689 (Someone please confirm! :D )

It has

Electronics Package (Nav System)

Shaker 500

Ambient Lighting

Sync

Sirius Radio

Security Package

HID Headlamps

Rear Camera

Comfort Package

Manual Transmission

3.73 Gears

Which seems close enough to my car. The Tech said that the only options that need to be the same are the ones controlled by the ACM.

These are the steps that should be done at a ford dealer by the technician:

1. Check and see if the connector for the camera is already present on

the wiring harness in the trunk lid. If there, plug the camera in and see what happens.

2. If the camera functions when the car is in reverse, there is no need

to continue, otherwise proceed to step 3.

3. Input 1ZVBP8CF4B5108689 into OASIS to get the “As-Built” data

for that car. Copy the “As-Built Data”

4. Introduce the GT500 to the IDS and go to “Special Tools”

5. Input the code 53061

6. Go to “Programmable Module Installation”

7. Select “ACM”

8. Tech will be prompted to add the “As-Built Data” to the ACM

9. Input the copied “As-Built Data” from step 3 to enable the camera

10. Reprogram the ACM with the new data.

OR Call the Ford Hotline and ask them to decipher the As-Built Data from 1ZVBP8CF4B5108689 to get the code to make the camera work.

I'm going to give this a shot when my car comes in and I'll keep everyone updated. Please note that this particular VIN should only work if there is a Navigation system in your GT500.

Did I read correctly.... this is your first car?

Yep! :D

Don't let that fool you though... I've been driving for years. I've just had the luxury of living at home while I've been in school. We have a 1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS (with a big ole' 351 Cleveland) to rip around in so it's not like its the first time I've driven stick :D

pantera005.jpg

Now that I've graduated and have a wicked salary and because I've been living in a cocoon for the last few years, I HAD to treat myself.

If I can do the same job for not $300 bucks and without installing things that could void the warranty, I'd rather do that. I'm keeping lockpick in the back of my mind. As of right now, it doesn't work with manual cars anyways according to that post. Besides, all I want out of this little mod is the backup camera. I have no interest in the DVD unlocking or Nav unlocking. If they're charging 300 for those features too, I want nothing of it.

If I can do the same job for not $300 bucks and without installing things that could void the warranty, I'd rather do that. I'm keeping lockpick in the back of my mind. As of right now, it doesn't work with manual cars anyways according to that post. Besides, all I want out of this little mod is the backup camera. I have no interest in the DVD unlocking or Nav unlocking. If they're charging 300 for those features too, I want nothing of it.

Mulanzo,

I might have missed it somewhere in this thread, but what camera are you going to use? Where will it be mounted?

I appreciate your research on this topic.

Thanks,

-Pockdog

Mulanzo,

I might have missed it somewhere in this thread, but what camera are you going to use? Where will it be mounted?

I appreciate your research on this topic.

Thanks,

-Pockdog

I sort of suggested I was interested in a Faux gas cap camera but that would be too much trouble so I'm probably going to stick with a license plate mount or a rear mounted cam. The ones I've been looking at are:

The Boyo Vision 375 (It is very minimalist and you can hardly tell there is a camera. And apparently it has good reviews, but expensive)

vtl375.jpg

AVElectronics OEM Camera Type 2 - (Sony brand camera - a name I trust, and is also very minimalist)

OEM-Camera2.gif

OEM-Cam2%20Installed.GIF

I haven't decided on a camera yet, however. What I'm planning on doing first is upgrading the nav with the information I discovered and testing the signal first with a home video camera with RCA video out to test and see if the nav accepts a video feed and functions properly. Theres no point in buying a camera yet until I know for sure it will work. After that, I'll likely decide between those two.

agreed...i meant if the dealer method you posted doesnt work. seems like it might be a pain to get the dealer to go through all of those steps.

hopefully it will be plug and play.

agreed...i meant if the dealer method you posted doesnt work. seems like it might be a pain to get the dealer to go through all of those steps.

hopefully it will be plug and play.

Hopefully! I dont see that whole tech process taking more than 20 mins though. It's just inputting a bunch of numbers and hitting enter. Im pretty sure the harness isn't there according to WydOpens thread anyways so the first 2 steps you can skip I think.

• 1 month later...

Hopefully! I dont see that whole tech process taking more than 20 mins though. It's just inputting a bunch of numbers and hitting enter. Im pretty sure the harness isn't there according to WydOpens thread anyways so the first 2 steps you can skip I think.

There is a bit if an art to getting a service/shop manager to let you talk directly to the tech's to pioneer a new mod. or hack something stock to work with something aftermarket.

1) You have to re-assure them that you aren't a a-hole who will whine to Ford or their management.

-Offer very relaxed time constraints, this isn't covered in the the service manual in step by step form.

-Understand if some customers new car is towed in you might not have highest priority.

-the cost could rise if something new is discovered, you understand and accept this isn't a standard "book' quote

-it might not work and you have to back it out, you are fine with this, this isn't a warranty repair

2) You have done your homework (part numbers, etc.) and know enough about what is going to to converse intelligently with the tech in his language

Doesn't mean you have to accept being ripped off. But they deal with many idiots all day long. Prove you aren't one, and aren't out to get them in trouble even if things don't turn out perfectly the first time.

Once you are talking with the tech directly it is usually game-on. They are usually more than happy for the chance to do something new and different that requires thinking and often go above and beyond the call of duty to get things right.. They most likely got into the business because they like working on cars like Shelby GT500's and any mod is great break from the mundane tuneup.

To update anyone who was following this post,

IT WORKED.

I have a camera without installing a lockpick and all I needed was the synccam12 connector from Coastal E Tech and a camera ( I went with the OEM2 Camera from AV Electronics). I haven't installed the camera yet because I'm still figuring out how to route the wires from the centre console to the trunk but I have tested the connection by placing the car in reverse and the camera lights up like christmas.

1 side effect is that the car boots up with the Mustang logo instead of the Cobra logo...I'm working on a fix for that as well and once I do I will post the revised instructions. I also can't use DVD or Navigation while in motion, but those aren't features I particularly cared about.

All I did to get the ford service guy to do the install was tell the dealer than since I got my car late I wanted them to help me try something and he was happy to oblige. I gave the tech the instructions and we went through it...took less than 10 minutes to do.

I will post the final install pictures with wiring and final instructions to the ford technician once I have it all up and running.

In the end, because I didn't have to get the lockpick I saved quite a bit of cash.

IT WORKED.

I have a camera without installing a lockpick and all I needed was the synccam12 connector from Coastal E Tech and a camera ( I went with the OEM2 Camera from AV Electronics). I haven't installed the camera yet because I'm still figuring out how to route the wires from the centre console to the trunk but I have tested the connection by placing the car in reverse and the camera lights up like christmas.

1 side effect is that the car boots up with the Mustang logo instead of the Cobra logo...I'm working on a fix for that as well and once I do I will post the revised instructions. I also can't use DVD or Navigation while in motion, but those aren't features I particularly cared about.

All I did to get the ford service guy to do the install was tell the dealer than since I got my car late I wanted them to help me try something and he was happy to oblige. I gave the tech the instructions and we went through it...took less than 10 minutes to do.

The instructions were modified slightly from what I posted above due to the ford tech needing to install each line of code manually which was a bit of a nuisance but it worked so it was worth it.

I will post the final install pictures with wiring and final instructions to the ford technician once I have it all up and running.

In the end, because I didn't have to get the lockpick I saved quite a bit of cash.

IT WORKED.

The instructions were modified slightly from what I posted above due to the ford tech needing to install each line of code manually which was a bit of a nuisance but it worked so it was worth it.

Archived