TEAM SHELBY FORUM

run away Prius

I wonder how many people know what the N stands for or if they do what Neutral does.

My friend is 43 years old and has been driving since he was 16, he did not know that you could put a car into Neutral while driving.

This is from the News article

Leighann Parks, a 24-year-old dispatcher, repeatedly told him to throw the car into neutral but got no answers.

"He was very emotional, you could tell on the line he was panicked," Parks told reporters outside the CHP's El Cajon office. "I could only imagine being in his shoes and being that stressed."

Neibert told Sikes after the CHP caught up with him to shift to neutral but the driver shook his head no. Sikes told reporters he didn't go into neutral because he worried the car would flip.

I saw this on the news last night and all I could think was "What a friggen moron" Don't understandhow you can have the composure to make a cell phone call and carry on a conversation but don' have brains enough to put the car in neutral or shut it off. Especially with all the recent press reagrding this. Something seems a little fishy.

I wonder how many people know what the N stands for or if they do what Neutral does.

My friend is 43 years old and has been driving since he was 16, he did not know that you could put a car into Neutral while driving.

Leighann Parks, a 24-year-old dispatcher, repeatedly told him to throw the car into neutral but got no answers.

"He was very emotional, you could tell on the line he was panicked," Parks told reporters outside the CHP's El Cajon office. "I could only imagine being in his shoes and being that stressed."

Neibert told Sikes after the CHP caught up with him to shift to neutral but the driver shook his head no. Sikes told reporters he didn't go into neutral because he worried the car would flip.

Something sounded staged about that whole ordeal....

Further proof that they shouldn't give a drivers license to just anyone who can parallel park and pass a written test. How about making sure folks can actually drive before sending them out on the highway.

Something sounded staged about that whole ordeal....

It is kinda funny, Toyota didn't seem to have any problems until shortly after the Gov't took an interest in the competition.

Not a conspiracy buff..................just sayin'

California has some strange drivers, that's for sure. Sometimes I wonder what's going through their heads...

I just entered an off ramp yesterday when a car on the FREEWAY cut the wheel and careened into the off ramp lane. Would have clipped me if I didn't the the brakes.... :nonono: There was no "looking for other traffic" when this joker came over, just cut the wheel!

The Prius driver claims that he did not want to put the car into netural because he was in a panic and thought that he might accidently pass the netural gate, put the car into the reverse, which in turn might cause the car to flip. He went on to say that he was not sure how to manipulate the vertical gear slector while the car was moving at 94 MPH.

Hey DF...

1. At 94 MPH, there is a higher probability of the transmission falling out of the car before it causes the car to flip over.

2. You have the foresight and ability to contact and have a conversation with a 911 dispatcher, but you can't follow her instructions to put the car into netural and then shut the engine down?

3. The CHP officer gives you instructions over his cruser's loudspeaker to apply the parking brake which helped to slow the car down to 55; you did not think of that yourself?

4. After you slow down to 55 you then manage to put the car into netural and then kill the engine? The first reports that came out was that the Prius was slowed and stopped by the Crown Vic was not accurate. The LEO put his vic bumper to bumper with the Prius after it came to a stop (on it's own) in order to prevent the possibilty of the car running away.

Something smells like fish to me. I'm not saying that Toyota doesn't have somesort of problems with some of their cars, but until more facts are revealed, my jury is still out on this incident.

California has some strange drivers, that's for sure. Sometimes I wonder what's going through their heads...

I just entered an off ramp yesterday when a car on the FREEWAY cut the wheel and careened into the off ramp lane. Would have clipped me if I didn't the the brakes.... :nonono: There was no "looking for other traffic" when this joker came over, just cut the wheel!

everyday occurence on I95

I just shake my head in amazement

Something smells like fish to me. I'm not saying that Toyota doesn't have somesort of problems with some of their cars, but until more facts are revealed, my jury is still out on this incident.

I'm on the fishy side, too many unanswered questions.

But most importantly I want to know where you can drive 95 mph, in SoCal, during the day while talking on the cell phone and not encounter any traffic? Even if this driver called 911 the second his Prius went one mph over 65mph think about the time it takes to get a CHP cruiser dispatched and for that cruiser to arrive.

And I'll have to see it with my own eyes to ever believe a Prius can do 95mph with the brakes applied.

I also find it amazing how quickly this panicked driver became composed when TV cameras arrived. He layed a nice foundation by telling the media his claim of being turned away by Toyota for the recall repair and how he will never drive that car again. The only thing missing was a lawyer standing by his side.

Like Enis I agree that Toyota has problems but that doesn't mean common sense goes out the door and common sense says somethings not right with this incident.

Steve

PS- I believe California stopped many years ago from making people demonstrate parallel parking when taking a drivers test.

I'm on the fishy side, too many unanswered questions.

But most importantly I want to know where you can drive 95 mph, in SoCal, during the day while talking on the cell phone and not encounter any traffic? Even if this driver called 911 the second his Prius went one mph over 65mph think about the time it takes to get a CHP cruiser dispatched and for that cruiser to arrive.

And I'll have to see it with my own eyes to ever believe a Prius can do 95mph with the brakes applied.

I also find it amazing how quickly this panicked driver became composed when TV cameras arrived. He layed a nice foundation by telling the media his claim of being turned away by Toyota for the recall repair and how he will never drive that car again. The only thing missing was a lawyer standing by his side.

Like Enis I agree that Toyota has problems but that doesn't mean common sense goes out the door and common sense says somethings not right with this incident.

Steve

PS- I believe California stopped many years ago from making people demonstrate parallel parking when taking a drivers test.

Oh great, even one less skill required to demonstrate! :hysterical:

The Prius probably maxed out at 94 MPH. Good thing he wasn't driving another kind of car. This entire Toyota issues has given me the idea of buying a set of Toyota floor mats for the GT500 just incase I get stopped for speeding I can blame the mats. confused.gif

The Prius probably maxed out at 94 MPH. Good thing he wasn't driving another kind of car. This entire Toyota issues has given me the idea of buying a set of Toyota floor mats for the GT500 just incase I get stopped for speeding I can blame the mats. confused.gif

:idea:

You want to get really scared. It was brought up that he also has a pair of corvette's! Now thats really scarey! He says he has a hard time controlling a Prius, I do not even want to think about him in a vett!

redcard.gif

Here's some answers:

E/B on I-8 east of San Diego you can pretty much go as fast as you want...wide open, nice freeway.

Report is this guy is so deep in debt it would drain a red ink cartridge to print out his credit report.

Inside rumors are that when the dust settles, it probably won't be Toyota's fault in this one.

John

Toyota Prius @ 94 MPH??????????

Downhill with a Heavy Tailwind Maybe??????? :hysterical:

That's 94 mph with a 200+ pound male "standing" on the brakes :hysterical:

My next question is how was he able to stop the car with the parking brake? Let's see here the Prius is out of control at 95mph with the brakes applied and doing nothing to slow him down, unless he has a rare 150mph capable Prius, but amazingly the CHP officer tells him to apply the parking brake and his Prius responds immediately slowing down to a leisurely 55mph.

I don't care what type of car it is but if the throttle is stuck wide open, applying the parking brake will do nothing except lock up the rear wheels and most likely spin the car out. Strange how that didn't happen here.

While I'm not a fan of black boxes this is a perfect case of why you will probably see every new Toyota come with one.

Steve

That's 94 mph with a 200+ pound male "standing" on the brakes hysterical.gif

My next question is how was he able to stop the car with the parking brake? Let's see here the Prius is out of control at 95mph with the brakes applied and doing nothing to slow him down, unless he has a rare 150mph capable Prius, but amazingly the CHP officer tells him to apply the parking brake and his Prius responds immediately slowing down to a leisurely 55mph.

I don't care what type of car it is but if the throttle is stuck wide open, applying the parking brake will do nothing except lock up the rear wheels and most likely spin the car out. Strange how that didn't happen here.

While I'm not a fan of black boxes this is a perfect case of why you will probably see every new Toyota come with one.

Steve

Steve, according to news reports that I have seen, they already do have data recorders. They only provide limited data, but Toyota aparantly does install them in their cars, at least in the Prius anyway.

I know.....lets send this to "Myth Busters"..............................they can figure it out. Of course, they wont use a Prius and they will use that 250 pound Dummy for a Driver and add 600 pounds of Radio Control stuff and do it in a Parking Lot and then say "BUSTED".

:hysterical:

It is kinda funny, Toyota didn't seem to have any problems until shortly after the Gov't took an interest in the competition.

BINGO!!! We have a winner.

Lets see here.................. :headscratch:

Our Government has the Power and Control to make any TOYOTA'S

Throttle Stuck Wide Open????????????

BUT THEY CAN'T FIX HEALTH CARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hysterical:

If you read the articles, Toyota has had the Problems for over 10 Years. The Government NOW is showing interest because of that 911 Call that was released and they can no longer take Money to look the other way. I just read yesterday that Florida just passed a Bill this week that will not allow the 911 Tapes to be released but rather a Transscript and only after 60 Days.

http://floridacapitalnews.com/article/20100311/CAPITOLNEWS/3110363

Archived