TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT500 2011

1970boss302

I bought mine because I have wanted one since they were introduced. I stumbled across this one and thought the price was right, then the dealer offered me a way good trade in on my '08 GT California Special. It was an offer I couldn't resist.

I guess you could say I bought mine for fun.

In 1995 I bought a brand new 23ft SeaRay open bow boat for $17,000. and sold it in 2008 when I decided that my new toy would be my GT500. Forever the saying was the best 2 days of a boat owner were the 1st and last. For me all 13 years were gradifying. The hours were super low, it was kept in my shop since day one when not in use and when I sold it I got more than I paid for it. An investment, no, but it was there when I wanted to use it the whole time my kids were growing up. As for my Shelby. I may drive it 1500 miles a year and I might not drive it at all some years. The same as my boat. But it resides in the same slot under cover as my old boat did.. I paid 500.00 over sticker, and do I think that I will sell it for close to that after 13 to 15 years? Absolutely not. Even if I get 10,000. less who cares. And I will get that. Because when that time comes, I can say that for 15 years I was able to walk back to my shop open the door and drive a Shelby GT500 any time I want.. PUT A RICE ON THAT! And for all of you worried about how many of these cars are built, let me say that I drive a Tractor-Trailer across all 48 states and since I bought my Shelby 2 years ago I may have seen 5 on the road, in cities and on interstates and 1 of those was mine. And yes, I consider myself so fortunate every time I take it out. And so does everyone that see's me in it.

I think you have summed it up best! When I talked to a freight forwarder about bringing my car to South America and he found out it was a Shelby GT500 (2009) he went on about his old sixties model GT350 and how he wished he had kept that out of all the cars he had when he was younger and wilder.

And I have heard ALL the comments about "what a waste of money, not fuel efficient, and useless this kind of car is ... what do you need it for..." too. That goes right by the wayside when you drive around and kids and grownups all look at the car and hear it, then come up to chat. ASIDE from the pure pleasure of simply driving it!

About 6 or 7 months ago a friend of mine that races a Ferrari F430 in the Italian GT3 class had his local sponsor put on a display and publicity event at a shopping mall. He asked me if I could park the Shelby there on display as there would be more cars etc... for the onlookers to gawk at. No worries. There were more finger prints on the Shelby than anything else. Had a great time talking to the MC guys about where they go riding etc.. and in general just hanging out. They invited me to future rides they figured to go on etc... Cool meeting. But the car is a real draw and it ain't about being a rich dude or supercar rich kid. I think there is a common thread here that people in general look at the Shelby GT500 and love the car, would like one, it is somewhat out of their reach but not like a Z06, Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari etc... Still within dream territory and has something special on top of that. There are tons of Vettes out there but not many Shelby's. Kinda like the Viper guys. You are unique but not exotic$$$.

We have our wish at the moment with these cars to drive, how many will still have them in 10 years? How many will wish they had them in 15 years? I had a guy pull up next to me one day in a Merc 500 convertible and his passenger (Uruguayan guy) told me the Shelby sounded better than a Ferrari. I thanked him for the complement and told him I simply love driving the car and am doing more to improve what is already great fun. We talked more then went our own ways. So... we'll see how long everyone on this list keeps and/or survives the years with these unique cars. Thanks to Ford, the body shape changed in 2010--for better or worse-- and we have a unique 3 year period for this model. I used to own a Suzuki RG500 (limited edition 2 year production GP model) bike in Australia and my brother sold that when I left to move to South America. I wish I still had that. I don't wish to kill him anymore. Enjoy while you can and if the ride stays in the stable then so much the better.

Regards, Dan

I bought my Shelby for the same reason I bought my 1969 428 CJ, the first time I saw one, I had to have one.

It took me 15 years from the time I first saw a 428CJ when I was 16, to find and purchase a 69 I could "almost" afford.

I waited until the prices finally came down on the new Shelby's, sold the 65 Mustang Fastback I owned for almost 20 years and put that money down on the '09 GT500 convertible I bought off the showroom floor in Aug. '09 for $500.00 under invoice.

Anytime a feel a little sad about selling the 65, I just go look in the garage and I feel better pretty quick.

I have two daugthers, 13 and 10, who have already decided who is getting which car.

You know, in a few years when I am too old ( I am 41) and can't drive anymore....so they tell me.

I don't plan on ever getting rid of either car at this point, but things in life can always change.

Enjoy them while we can.........

Archived