TEAM SHELBY FORUM

A new scam! Craigslist shopper beware!

So I found a Polaris ATV in great condition for 2700.00, so I wrote the guy, and this was his response...keep in mind it was advertised in the San Antonio Market:

Hello,

My atv (2007 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI) it's in perfect condition, it has only 120 miles, it's almost brand new, never dropped, no scratches, no dents or hidden defects...it's just the way it looks it is. The price is $2700 if you buy it now. It has also a clear title. The bike will come with a jacket and a helmet.

First of all I want to tell you that I am in Anchorage, AK. I am selling the bike for such a low price because my squadron has been sent back to Afghanistan for the next year and I don't want it to get old in my garage. I have to sell the bike before 30 december.

I will handle with the shipping everywhere in USA and I will cover the shipping fees too. The bike will be shipped in a crate container directlly to your home address in maximum 3-5 days.

I am a member of eBay Vehicle Purchase Program and we will use this program in our transaction.

I will wait your email if you are interested in purchasing it...

Thank you,

kevin

Notice how he puts the day before month. Yeah, free shipping from anchorage....3-5 days...sure

Okay, the email came from a Thomas somebody at aol.com and he signs it Kevin...it stood out to me, but I wondered how many markets he is running this in?

So I found a Polaris ATV in great condition for 2700.00, so I wrote the guy, and this was his response...keep in mind it was advertised in the San Antonio Market:

Hello,

My atv (2007 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI) it's in perfect condition, it has only 120 miles, it's almost brand new, never dropped, no scratches, no dents or hidden defects...it's just the way it looks it is. The price is $2700 if you buy it now. It has also a clear title. The bike will come with a jacket and a helmet.

First of all I want to tell you that I am in Anchorage, AK. I am selling the bike for such a low price because my squadron has been sent back to Afghanistan for the next year and I don't want it to get old in my garage. I have to sell the bike before 30 december.

I will handle with the shipping everywhere in USA and I will cover the shipping fees too. The bike will be shipped in a crate container directlly to your home address in maximum 3-5 days.

I am a member of eBay Vehicle Purchase Program and we will use this program in our transaction.

I will wait your email if you are interested in purchasing it...

Thank you,

kevin

Notice how he puts the day before month. Yeah, free shipping from anchorage....3-5 days...sure

Okay, the email came from a Thomas somebody at aol.com and he signs it Kevin...it stood out to me, but I wondered how many markets he is running this in?

Writing the date with the day first then the month then year, 30 December 2009, is the military way of writing the date. FYI.

I have listed my Car on Craigs List several times and at the end of the post, I always say "I will NOT respond to Emails, CALL me if you are interested." and I then put my Number. I always get Emails from someone (Spam from a Company) that says "they want to know what the Insurance will cost them, please go to this site and see what it will cost please". OR I will get an Email that says thet they want to buy my Car and to please contact them at there other email address. I always DELETE these types of emails. I am so glad that YaHoo's Email system will let you read the Email before you open it. ALSO, if you recieve an Email from someone that has a Link in it, you can put the Arrow on the Link (donk chick on it) and look at the bottom of your screen and you will see where that link will take you.

I have listed my Car on Craigs List several times and at the end of the post, I always say "I will NOT respond to Emails, CALL me if you are interested." and I then put my Number. I always get Emails from someone (Spam from a Company) that says "they want to know what the Insurance will cost them, please go to this site and see what it will cost please". OR I will get an Email that says thet they want to buy my Car and to please contact them at there other email address. I always DELETE these types of emails. I am so glad that YaHoo's Email system will let you read the Email before you open it. ALSO, if you recieve an Email from someone that has a Link in it, you can put the Arrow on the Link (donk chick on it) and look at the bottom of your screen and you will see where that link will take you.

Great tip that I alway use to see were a link is really going.

What do you mean by "Purchase through them"? As in Financing through them?

As is my understanding, if you buy a car through Ebay motors and send the money through Paypal or whatever they use, Ebay gurantees the money and "protects" you. If you just use the payment services without doing a purchase then you are on your own and Ebay will not offer any protection. It's like sending money Western Union.

I was selling a boat before and someone from Canada got my e-mail address and was offering almost double for what I was asking for the boat. They said that the money would be held in a trust for 30 days until my boat arrived at the new owners home and they would pay to ship it there. Needless to say, it was a total scam that I didn't fall for.

That's how the US miltary writes dates. I still type and say "1 Jan" as opposed to "January 1st"

That is how we do it in Europe.

Yeah some of these advertisements are scam. A lot of Romanian or Bulgarian that advertise here. They have a car or bike for sale reasonably cheap. Photo picked from Internet and they say when you buy the car please sent a deposit. Yeah right.

Archived