TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How many people know what today is?

Today marks the 68th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor. It is what brought the United States off the sidelines and into the second World War.

I attended a luncheon today in honor of the few survivors in San Antonio who are still living. My grandfather is among them. There were only about 12 survivors in attendance. Many came alone or only with a spouse or friend. It is a shame that their family can not or will not even come to lunch with them on this day. Several members were visibly upset by the memories that today stirs up.

My grandfather had his wife, both his daughters, two of his three grandsons, a great-grandson and a great-grandaughter by his side, in addition to many friends who came out.

Ask 20 people what today is and you'll be lucky to get 2 correct responses. Ask your children what they have been taught about December 7th in school - or if it was even mentioned today. Now imagine 60 years from now no one remembering 9/11 or even understanding what it was and/or ment. Imagine the children and grandchildren of the 9/11 survivors not remembering that date.

Even the military has forgotten: We had to move the annual lunch off-base because they were "too busy" to deal with the 30 or 40 people who would show up.

:soapbox: Rant over, go back about your business.

Unfortuneatly today's date is being forgotten. When my kids get home I'm gonna ask them what they talked about in school today, just to see. A thanks to your Grandfather for his service as well as the numerous others. This date changed the world more dramatically than any other. Thanks again to all who have served no matter when they served.

I'm sorry to here the USAF moved you off base, but not all of the military has forgotten about Pearl Harbor. I know of 200 staff officers (from all four services and including members of State Dept and Homeland Defense) that have been studying about it over the last week and attended a lecture on the it today.

As an aside: Ten years ago in San Antonio, I met the navigator from the 16th of 16 B-25s that comprised Doolittle's Raid on Tokyo that took place in April 1942 as a response to PH.

Today marks the 68th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor. It is what brought the United States off the sidelines and into the second World War.

I attended a luncheon today in honor of the few survivors in San Antonio who are still living. My grandfather is among them. There were only about 12 survivors in attendance. Many came alone or only with a spouse or friend. It is a shame that their family can not or will not even come to lunch with them on this day. Several members were visibly upset by the memories that today stirs up.

My grandfather had his wife, both his daughters, two of his three grandsons, a great-grandson and a great-grandaughter by his side, in addition to many friends who came out.

Ask 20 people what today is and you'll be lucky to get 2 correct responses. Ask your children what they have been taught about December 7th in school - or if it was even mentioned today. Now imagine 60 years from now no one remembering 9/11 or even understanding what it was and/or ment. Imagine the children and grandchildren of the 9/11 survivors not remembering that date.

Even the military has forgotten: We had to move the annual lunch off-base because they were "too busy" to deal with the 30 or 40 people who would show up.

:soapbox: Rant over, go back about your business.

Sprortscars,

Thanks for the reminder! I didn't even look at the date today. We are so caught up in our lives, running businesses, raising families, etc, etc. All things we wouldn't even have the privilege to do without the men who risked and gave their lives on this day 69 years ago (and in the war that followed). My good friend's grandfather was on the Oklahoma in Pearl Harbor when they where bombed. He's still alive here in town and I think I'll buy our local hero lunch this week. And to all the vets our there, Thanks for your service and sacrifice!

Jake

Wow, this is so true, thank you for posting. Pearl Harbor is one of many that are seeming to fade into black. Not that the invasion of Iraq was as traumatic, but I think very few will recognize that date.

It's up to people like you (and us) to keep the memories alive. God Bless!

My family will never forget Pearl Harbor. My father was a young Marine on Ford Island in Pearl Harbor, the company bugler he had just finished Color Detail. When the Fighter Bombers started their raid on Battleship Row, he sounded the first call to arms. He went on to fight throughout the Pacific. For years he kept the bugle, his company flag and a news paper article about him “starting World War II” in a box in the closet. He received five Purple Hearts a Bronze Star and many campaign ribbons. My mother was a Marine, they meet while he was recuperating from one of his injuries. We will never forget our fallen brothers.

So, let me first say THANK YOU to ALL who serve, and ALL who have served. Especially remember those that have given their lives in defense and support of this great country, those that have left loved ones behind. :salute: :salute: :salute:

Imagine my surprise when i walked into the house today and my 11 year old 5th grade daughter casually challenges me with this question... She says: "Hey dad, do you have any idea what today is? And do you know what happened 68 years ago today? She proceeded to give me a 15 minute dissertation on what she learned and was lectured on today. It really brought a tear to my eye, and I am thankful that the Board of Education in NJ includes this in their curriculum.

I have been on the Arizona Memorial, everyone should see and experience it in their lifetime. Never forget, and God Bless America.

Peace,

Goldgus

In my spare time I drive the bus for my church's after school program. I asked the kids (mostly elementary) what today was. None of them had a clue, and most did not know what Pearl Harbor was/is. That got me rather irritated, hence the soapbox post.

I could fill many pages about my grandfather and his military career. I will say that he was a lowly clerk on December 7, 1941. His best friend from Homer, Mi. was stationed on the USS Arizona. We still have the letter my grandfather wrote to his mother a few days later. He said he was going to become a pilot and bomb the Japs all to hell. He ended up becoming a B-24 pilot and flew 18 missions including the raid on Ploesti. He was shot down three times. On his last mission he crash landed in an olive orchard and broke his back. He spent nine months in the hospital and his active duty days were behind him. He continued in the Air Force reserves until 1969 I believe.

One day I'll tell you about the purple heart he received 50 years late.

"December 7th, 1941 - A date that will live in infamy" FDR 12/8/1941

God Bless our Men and Women in the Armed Forces, past and present, who serve our country!

:salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute:

USSArizonaMemorial.jpg

Rest in Peace - 1,177 Sailors and Marines entombed in the Battleship they served upon.

:salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute:

If any one reading this is ever in Hawaii in Oahu..........a visit to Pearl Harbor is a must!

Seeing the Arizona will no doubt stay with you forever!

My extreme gratitude to all those who were in PH that day and all those who have served and sacrificed for our country before and since.

:salute::salute::salute:

I missed this thread yesterday, but we always fly our flag on 7 Dec. My husband, although not born yet, lost a cousin at Pearl Harbor on that day. He was a gunners mate on the USS California. My husbands father fought in WW2 also. My grandfathers both served. One went down with his cruiser off of Guadalcanal and the other survived as a B-17 crew member in the 8th Air Force during the early days. The greatest American generation.....

Leann

If any one reading this is ever in Hawaii in Oahu..........a visit to Pearl Harbor is a must!

Seeing the Arizona will no doubt stay with you forever!

My extreme gratitude to all those who were in PH that day and all those who have served and sacrificed for our country before and since.

:salute::salute::salute:

+ 1

Thanks for posting this brother! I was/am swamped or would have done it as well...

I was picked by the remaining survivors in our chapter to be the local chapter Vice President since I am young, have an interest, and comfortable in front of crowds. It has been the largest and most touching honor of my life, and I do mean honor, to direct the luncheon and meetings and take care of these HEROES.

I was standing up at the podium while the survivors stood up and told a little bit about their experiences and family and friend intros, as is our custom, and I just stood there thinking to myself that I am truly blessed to be able to talk and hang out with these survivors, and I have to say it means more to me to be with them than any celebrity or mogul any of us have known or met. One came up to me and apologized for being long winded. I told him he could say whatever he wants on HIS day, and I will take in every word, regardless how off topic or mundane.

Imagine that one point in time, when in the entire history of our great nation we have always had a split- the American Revolution, Civil War, WWI, Korea, Vietnam and everything that has come since, we have always had differences that kept us from our true potential....but not at the moment....

At that moment, we came together as one solid unit and stood in UNITY, and not even the entire world could have held us back from doing what was right for humanity. Imagine what we could accomplish if we stood in complete unity against any issue we have today. Education, hunger, any problem we have could be fixed if we could only have the resolve and bravery to do it together, and not everyone's own way.

I would give anything I have to any one of them; for if not for their bravery and commitment, everything I have and know would be lost for us all.

Thank you, fine men and women of that generation, for you will always be known as the strongest and bravest generation this world has ever known.

:salute:

Archived