TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Where's the best place to live?

Hi Sherri - I've got 2000 sq ft and my taxes are $1400 (1/2 acre) - city utilities. How would that compare to TX? Maybe I'll move! :lurk:

"TEXAS, it's like a whole other country" - one of our sayings

I'm sure you could find deals better than that in many places in Texas.

But if I had to move, I would probably move to Colorado - the part that used to be Texas.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you don't mind chilly nights by the fire........I hear that if you live in Alaska, the State pays YOU.........................

Yep....1500 dollars per anum for every man woman and child.........

Alaskan Pipeline Royalties that may cover the increased cost of imported market goods........

But get used to -50 degrees in most parts although Definately "GODS COUNTRY"............

Beautiful OHIO, you can run your furnace and air conditioner on the same day as well as mow your grass and plow snow on the same day. What more could you want? Oh yeh, absolutley no jobs either!!!!!!!! other than that it's all good. Hell, it's alot like michigan.

Beautiful OHIO, you can run your furnace and air conditioner on the same day as well as mow your grass and plow snow on the same day. What more could you want? Oh yeh, absolutley no jobs either!!!!!!!! other than that it's all good. Hell, it's alot like michigan.

Ohio isn't that bad... IMO. It's cheap to live, the weather is decent during the summer, we get a little ice during the winter and snow, but nyeh, nothing like Nebraska.

Until it is legalized and you pay taxes on that also????????? :hysterical:

:headscratch:

Sure!

Ohio isn't that bad... IMO. It's cheap to live, the weather is decent during the summer, we get a little ice during the winter and snow, but nyeh, nothing like Nebraska.

That's one of the reasons I'm not going back to Nebraska.

I've lived there, Oregon, Texas, Georgia, Illinois, Florida, Rhode Island ( a couple of times not including this year long visit), and Virginia.

I fell in love with Virginia 12 years ago due to the weather, history, terrain, location along the east coast (about equal distance to New England and Florida) and the fact it has a coast. Taxes and employment aren't bad either. I've decided a long time ago that it's were I want to call home.

Hi Sherri - I've got 2000 sq ft and my taxes are $1400 (1/2 acre) - city utilities. How would that compare to TX? Maybe I'll move! :lurk:

Ruf, depends on the value of your home.

Except for the El Cholo Tamales, right? :drool::hysterical:

Yep and te cheese enchiladas. You know where I am headed as soon as I get the rental car :drool:

For God's sake, stay as far away from Kalifornia as you can. Were sitting on a brown log, floating in a porcelain bowl, and waiting for someone to push the lever down any minute now.

State and L.A. County tax combined: 9.75% Buy something for $100.00 and pay just a tad under $10.00 in taxes. Some cities within L.A. county are over 10%.

Schools are in the crapper. The poor teachers are getting screwed badly.

Lousy goverment.

Lousy goverment leadership.

Goverment policies that have/are driving business out of the state everyday.

Unemployment rate: 12%

Crime is down slightly, but that's because the gang members can't afford the gas to do drive-by's.

Avarage fuel cost in So Cal (today): $3.00 a gallon.

91 octane max.

Can't touch (modify) your exhaust system before the cats (legally), can't touch most of the other engine components either.

Property tax will kill you.

Over inflated property values (even now).

You are taxed out the wazoo, but the roads and other infractures still crumble right before your eyes.

The state goverment just passed a bill that will essentally ban the sales of big screen TV's by 2013 unless the Mfg's can lower their power consumption by 50%. While the mfg's will probably comply, they say that the cost of those TV's will go up considerably.

And this sentiment is coming from a born and rased native Californian.

+1

And the sad part is, this isn't a complete list!

Can a TS member please provide info for Colorado Springs?

Born and raised in North Dakota. You do NOT want to live there, I can assure you.

I now live in California. It's not for everyone...hell, not for most people, but it's doing well by me at the moment.

If I could drop everything and move wherever I wanted, I'd go back to Portland, Oregon for the summers and back to Palm Springs for the winters. B)

Ken

Born and raised in North Dakota. You do NOT want to live there, I can assure you.

I now live in California. It's not for everyone...hell, not for most people, but it's doing well by me at the moment.

If I could drop everything and move wherever I wanted, I'd go back to Portland, Oregon for the summers and back to Palm Springs for the winters. B)

Ken

Ken,

The "SnowBird" plan is sweet. Best of both worlds! It's just the cost of having 2 residences.

Jim

As a comparison my 1936 sq foot house on 1/2 acre is $5,000/year and then I get whacked on auto property taxes too. Does NC have auto property taxes or state income tax?

If you do not mind the cold...and it has been reasonable in the last few years (i guess global warming is true) then it is a good state to invest in...properties are dirt cheap and i have reasons to believe that we got hit with economy first and we will be first to recover...

we have 4 seasons that are noticeable and distinguished...yes winter is the longest among them :cry:

summer is amazing here ....!

The lakes are beyond description in up north Mi. You will have winter sports and summer full activities...In most areas schools are good and very nice hard working people here!

For me i love it and i ain't leaving it!

Thanks for your reply, but I would like to have shorter winter and/or no/little snow. I hate winter months and only want to experience it through watching old Bing Crosby movies.

+1..... :rant::banghead::runaway:

Oh I have to add very rude and inconsiderate people..... :finger:

And when you decide where the "best place" is save room in your luggage for me.... :happy feet: I tell people that all the time, when they go on a vacation or move, but I'm still sitting here in Connecticut.... :shrug::hysterical2:

Yep. Forgot to mention the rude factor.

Thanks for your reply, but I would like to have shorter winter and/or no/little snow. I hate winter months and only want to experience it through watching old Bing Crosby movies.

How about Mexico.......... become a Mexican Citizen and every once in a while sneak back into the USA for FREE Social Security and Healthcare.

+1..... :rant::banghead::runaway:

Oh I have to add very rude and inconsiderate people..... :finger:

And when you decide where the "best place" is save room in your luggage for me.... :happy feet: I tell people that all the time, when they go on a vacation or move, but I'm still sitting here in Connecticut.... :shrug::hysterical2:

If you can Cook and Pay some of my Bills, I will drive up there and gladly bring you back here to Bikini Land. :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

I've been all over the country. NOTHING beats Florida. Beaches, lakes, fishing, hunting, camping, pro sports teams. There is always something to do. No state income tax. No car inspections. I wouldn't live in Miami but the rest of the state is dazzling. And don't worry about Hurricanes. Despite what you hear, they are very infrequent.

As a comparison my 1936 sq foot house on 1/2 acre is $5,000/year and then I get whacked on auto property taxes too. Does NC have auto property taxes or state income tax?

Taxes on my Mustang were about $300 a year - we have state income tax - 6%.

Ken

I know about ND spent 40 years in Manitoba. finally smarten up and moved to Victoria 10 years ago; summer temps 72 winter temps 40, one or two days of snow, 94 octane gas @5.05 US gal , but can only drive Shelby 6 months of year. Wine costs are crazy 26.00 for a bottle I can get in PS for 10.50. Cigarettes 0.50 each. So cal looks pretty good from here.

++1 for Palm Springs both winter and summer the old bones like the heat!!

Glen

I'm getting tired of paying taxes up the wazoo here in CT compiled with the over crowded roads and crappy winter months. I'd like to find somewhere warmer, less expensive to live and less crowded.

Based on where some of you live or traveled to, where's the "best" place to live?

+1000000000000

I've been thinking the same thing lately!!! And add the rude clueless drivers talking on cell phones!! Bad roads, construction everywhere, rocks, potholes, traffic jams, stop lights every 50 feet, etc, etc And also bad weather- we had only a handful of nice days to enjoy this year!! Always cloudy :banghead::confused:

I've visited North Carolina- The people were considerate, the roads were nice and the weather was great!

My house :happy feet:

+1

Washington has its good points and wet points

Temperate climate with decent weather late spring, summer and early fall

Now we are in the wet part of the year.

Some snow in the middle of winter but usually doesn't stay too long.

Westside of the State has many options within short day's drive with decent roads:

Pacific Coast

Cascade Mountains

Rivers & Lakes of your choice

BC, Canada

Eastside has similar options except for the coast, and less rain.

92 octane fuel currently $3.05

No state income tax

Sales tax varies depending on your location 7.5-10.x%

Property tax varies too

I'm getting tired of paying taxes up the wazoo here in CT compiled with the over crowded roads and crappy winter months. I'd like to find somewhere warmer, less expensive to live and less crowded.

Based on where some of you live or traveled to, where's the "best" place to live?

this might help you if your close to retirement,

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Retire...ills/P45875.asp

:redcard: Forget Florida, we're in a "pre-California mode". Taxes rising, nearing 12% unemployment (jobs that are available are service Disney type jobs), no state income tax but city, county and state "fees you to death", out of control state government spending, worst schools in the country (we're ranked next to last in elementary, middle, and high school education quality), super declining housing values, Florida leads the nation in foreclosures, crowded roads, too many bugs, too many people, too many ignorant "good ole boy" local politicans, too many bugs, hotter and humid then hell itself 9 months out of the year, too many bugs, too much Disney, too many bugs (did I say too many bugs?) I'm out of here in 6 months after 30 years of watching Florida decline. My vote would be to move to North Carolina, Tennessee, or Arkansas and avoid the big cities. :confused:

Archived