TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Got Me a New Hood (PICS)

wickedstangs

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did mine last fall (post Terlingua), and also cut the stripes around the vents, went with the recessed locks, will post pic from the other computer with them installed dont have one handy, very happy with the hood, no longer moves around at speed like stock, check out the work this guy did on the hood locks he fabricated to the header panel, almost looks like it came that way...

Phil

post-9759-1256164907_thumb.jpg

post-9759-1256164974_thumb.jpg

post-9759-1256164907_thumb.jpg

post-9759-1256164974_thumb.jpg

Nice hoods on all of the cars. The cars look great.

It is unfortunate that the Senior Executives at SAI couldn't (wouldn't) figure out a way to make a real KR carbon fiber hood available to those that wanted them at a reasonable price, also without having to deal with all of the politics that we all have read about.

I think they would have made a fortune in this aftermarket segment, instead they missed the boat on this one.

Unfortunately the good folks at SAI can't win it seems...open it to the aftermarket and the KR owners are unhappy that they didn't protect the exclusivity. Don't open it to the aftermarket, others who want to use those parts are unhappy. They do make most of their parts available in the aftermarket...I think they just chose to really protect the authenticity of the KR (Flagship)....and I appreciate that. Of course I am sure every non-KR owner will disagree with me. (Flame suit on)

If you don't mind me asking, where do you get your striping material and how much does it cost?

I just buy the material and the machine cuts for me... I get my material at 2 locations.

McLogan Supply Co. Inc.

7879-B Armour St.

San Diego, CA 92123

619-595-0270

or

http://www.uscutter.com/

The Film I use is:

Oracal 651 Intermediate Cal

Its like 2.50 a yard..

Unfortunately the good folks at SAI can't win it seems...open it to the aftermarket and the KR owners are unhappy that they didn't protect the exclusivity. Don't open it to the aftermarket, others who want to use those parts are unhappy. They do make most of their parts available in the aftermarket...I think they just chose to really protect the authenticity of the KR (Flagship)....and I appreciate that. Of course I am sure every non-KR owner will disagree with me. (Flame suit on)

I respect your point of view on this, and see you are a KR owner. Not sure i understand the exclusivity discussion though. There are vin numbers in place and a registry to protect against fraud. If you look at the sheer numbers; how many 2007 - 2009 gt500's were built and then how many 2007 - 2009 KRs were built. Then you begin to see the gap and the miss in revenue and customer satisifaction in the after market. No Flames.....I understand your point of view. My guess is someone comes out with a carbon fiber look alike and then everyone will be happy.

I was looking on the Trufiber site and noticed that in the description of the Venom II (recessed), it says the hood is primed and is the only line in the description that is in bold letters. Exactly what do they mean by "primed"? That is not in the description of any of the other Venom hoods.

Thanks you.

Turtle Wax Ice, it works wonders for a producing a great shine and hiding any "minor" swirl marks/scratches.

have you had problems with Turtle Wax yellowing over time? used it years ago and switched to Meguires and/or Mothers becauses of that problem

I was looking on the Trufiber site and noticed that in the description of the Venom II (recessed), it says the hood is primed and is the only line in the description that is in bold letters. Exactly what do they mean by "primed"? That is not in the description of any of the other Venom hoods.

Pic of the hood with the hood pins installed. Also with respect to the hood, my understanding is that you can purchase the hood rough, or in a sanded and primed by their team, and it should be ready for final finish and paint. My experience did not work out that way, as it required significantly more prep work even with the "prepped and Primed" option I paid for. Also to all those looking to purchase, please inspect (or have it inspected) you hood very closely before you accept from the carrier, they can be damaged in shipment, if you accept off the truck you own the damage.

Phil

post-9759-1256239898_thumb.jpg

post-9759-1256239898_thumb.jpg

have you had problems with Turtle Wax yellowing over time? used it years ago and switched to Meguires and/or Mothers becauses of that problem

The only Turtle Wax product I used was their "Ice"....and I only used that on top of Meguires. I never had any issues with it.

My waxing process consists of washing the car with dawn soap. This will strip the existing wax off the car as well as get the surface really good and clean. I then dry the car off real good with my leaf blower. I start out with a meguires gold paste wax and put 1 coat on. After wiping off the meguires, I would move on to the Turtle Wax Ice. I would install 2 coats of this. When done, the car would always look outstanding (IMO).

I did this with my last car only because of the Redfire Clearcoat color....it's what I found worked best. I use different products on my new Torch Red GT500.

Pic of the hood with the hood pins installed. Also with respect to the hood, my understanding is that you can purchase the hood rough, or in a sanded and primed by their team, and it should be ready for final finish and paint. My experience did not work out that way, as it required significantly more prep work even with the "prepped and Primed" option I paid for. Also to all those looking to purchase, please inspect (or have it inspected) you hood very closely before you accept from the carrier, they can be damaged in shipment, if you accept off the truck you own the damage.

Phil

Excellent advice Phil.

I was told the same thing by the person I bought mine from and when the driver showed up with mine, I had a bottle of water ready for him. He laughed, but understood exactly what I was doing. I carefully opened the box in my front yard (in front of the driver), took out the hood and inspected it very carefully. After several minutes of inspecting every square inch, top to bottom and around all 4 sides, I told the driver it all looked good, I thanked him for being patient with me, and he went on his way.

Phil

I got a hood from trufiber last nov. came in looked good they said to take it to a body shop that had a heated paint booth the body shop i went to builds street rods from fiberglass body kits does fiberglass work all the time when hood looked perfect then was put in paint booth it went all wavey and had to be redone after it was done 5 times it looked great put it on my shelby I drove it on a 200 mile trip it srunk got wavy and you could even see glass mat in it called trufiber they said body shop did not do a good job that is funny because they get best paint awards at car shows all the time TRUFIBER IS A SORRY CO AND WILL NOT STAND BEHIND THERE PRODUCT .428cj

I got a hood from trufiber last nov. came in looked good they said to take it to a body shop that had a heated paint booth the body shop i went to builds street rods from fiberglass body kits does fiberglass work all the time when hood looked perfect then was put in paint booth it went all wavey and had to be redone after it was done 5 times it looked great put it on my shelby I drove it on a 200 mile trip it srunk got wavy and you could even see glass mat in it called trufiber they said body shop did not do a good job that is funny because they get best paint awards at car shows all the time TRUFIBER IS A SORRY CO AND WILL NOT STAND BEHIND THERE PRODUCT .428cj

428CJ,

I feel your pain, my guys worked this hood to perfection, then after about a month, I also had some hairlines show up in the gelcoat. This was also after at least 5-7 heat cycles in the paint booth trying to get it right.

I can assure you that this was not a quality of prep or paint quality issue, it was in our opinion a quality of Fiberglass issue, and believe that many others have experienced the same exact problem.

I tried to order a SSnake hood, but at the time they were on backorder, and I could not afford to wait any longer. But in the end I we resigned ourself that this is a common problem with fiberglass products, just

hard to get one right.

Phil

I had the same sequence of events. Many hours prepping the hood by folks that KNOW fiberglass. 3 months after install, its all wavy, glass mat texture shows through etc.

Trufiber is a very poor quality product and they do not stand behind it. They could not, they would end up replacing most all of them. Really wish SAI would just sell the KR hood. In glass or CF.

I will never again buy a product made by TruFiber.

428CJ,

I feel your pain, my guys worked this hood to perfection, then after about a month, I also had some hairlines show up in the gelcoat. This was also after at least 5-7 heat cycles in the paint booth trying to get it right.

I can assure you that this was not a quality of prep or paint quality issue, it was in our opinion a quality of Fiberglass issue, and believe that many others have experienced the same exact problem.

I tried to order a SSnake hood, but at the time they were on backorder, and I could not afford to wait any longer. But in the end I we resigned ourself that this is a common problem with fiberglass products, just

hard to get one right.

Phil

does any body know if after a year with all the motor heat if you work the hood again if it will STAY LOOKING GOOD has anyone tried that I dont know weather to spend more money on it and try it again or just get rid of the POS. 428cj

Well since I want to do this right the first time, does anyone have any experience with North American Tuning? Their price is quite a bit higher but if I'm not going to have problems it would be worth the extra jack.

North American Tuning

That hood is the Shelby SS hood, not a Trufiber, and the price is the same from most vendors, but some include free shipping. You also need to buy the hood vents, as they do not come with the hood.

Another option is going with the "KR" hood from Suncoast. They have been in business for a long time.

That hood is the Shelby SS hood, not a Trufiber, and the price is the same from most vendors, but some include free shipping. You also need to buy the hood vents, as they do not come with the hood.

Another option is going with the "KR" hood from Suncoast. They have been in business for a long time.

So, Does anyone here have this hood? If so, what's the scoop? SunCoast KR Hood

Archived