TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The First Purpose Built Police Car

11 Miles Per Gallon............ Brand Spanking NEW and it qualifies for the "Cash For Clunkers"................. :hysterical:

Where did you get that number? The web site says: "Combined City/Hwy Fuel Economy 28 - 30 mpg." American Cop magazine spoke to 30 mpg.

Jim

11 Miles Per Gallon............ Brand Spanking NEW and it qualifies for the "Cash For Clunkers"................. :hysterical:

PERFORMANCE

0 - 60 mph 6.5 seconds

Quarter Mile 14.5 seconds @ 98.0 mph

Top Speed > 150 mph

Braking 60 - 0 mph 125 feet

Lateral Acceleration 0.85 g

Combined City/Hwy Fuel Economy 28 - 30 mpg <--------<

Needs more power!

I agree and I figure they will get their foot in the door selling this one to all the city PDs and, once they are making a nickel and have paid back their R & D somewhat, they will introduce something seriously fast for those departments that need pursuit cars.

Jim

Sounds pretty cool to me!

POWERTRAIN / CHASSIS

Engine Forced Induction Diesel

Recommended Fuel Ultra-low sulfur (ULS) Diesel

Driveline Rear-Wheel-Drive

Horsepower > 250 bhp

Torque > 400 lb-ft

Transmission Multi-Speed Automatic

Front Brakes 14" Vented Discs, ABS

Rear Brakes 13" Vented Discs, ABS

Wheels 19 x 8" Steel

Tires 245/55R19

Front Suspension Struts, coil springs, anti-roll bar

Rear Suspension Multi-link, coil springs, self-leveling shocks, anti-roll bar

Did you actually read the article? I thought the same thing when I saw the headline.

The 11 MPG number is the real world average of all Law Enforcement vehicles countrywide, not what the new car will be rated at. Though rating them(at least with the current method) is pretty much useless for police vehicles anyway.

Sounds pretty cool to me!

Don't kid us, Ken. "Cool" to you means it has track potential. You likely already have Griggs working on a tricked out suspension for it and God knows what else. :hysterical:

Jim

Don't kid us, Ken. "Cool" to you means it has track potential. You likely already have Griggs working on a tricked out suspension for it and God knows what else. :hysterical:

Jim

Yeah Jim I guess you're getting to know me pretty well nowadays. :lol:

A rear driven turbo diesel with big brakes and 19" rims is a heck of a good start already, but some Koni coil overs, Griggs SLA, Greddy snails, custom C&R intercooler, Toyo RA1's, and a roll cage ought to make her ready for some track duty in no time! ;)

Ken

It happens more than you might think. You have to get close enough to get a license plate first.

Steve,

Doesn't "Be on the lookout for the only car on I-10 East that is going 130 mph" work instead of a license plate number? :hysterical:

Jim

Steve,

Doesn't "Be on the lookout for the only car on I-10 East that is going 130 mph" work instead of a license plate number? :hysterical:

Jim

That depends on the car. While your Shelby may be unique to the area, a speeding white sedan or Chevrolet won't be, and Joe Citizens who own a white Chevrolet won't like it if you are stopping every white Chevrolet for a traffic ticket. Most people evading to avoid a traffic ticket will slow down to normal once they think they've ditched the first police car. Then try to prove it was them with that description. Now those evading for warrants or who are in a stolen auto are different, but must know to melt into the pack and ditch the vehicle ASAP.

EDIT: If you drive a common sedan in a common color you may be amazed how many there are on an Interstate in just a few miles if you bother to count. Most departments don't have another LEO just waiting down the Interstate either.

Archived