TEAM SHELBY FORUM

E-mail from my son in Iraq

My son has been in Iraq about 3 weeks, now. Below is an unedited email from him describing his first trip off the base at Camp Taqqadum, Iraq. A couple of explanations: MRAP's - Mine Resistant Armored Protection - big armored vehicles designed to protect our troops better than Humvees.

QRF - Quick Reaction Force

"So last night right as soon as my guard shift was over, a convoy of marines got hit with an IED in fallujah so we had to roll out with EOD to go take care of em. No one got hurt though cause of the MRAP's. We were out for about 6 hours. It was my first time gettin to see the country. When people say it's like being on mars they're not kidding. It's like the twilight zone out there. There is garbage EVERYWHERE, the whole country smells like shit, pardon my language but it's the only word that comes close, and everything looks like it's older than time itself. There's little houses and shanty shacks all over the place, and then right next to them there will be a pretty big, pretty nice house. Wild dogs runnin all over the place, skinniest cows i have ever seen in my life. Then there's the city. WOW. The city blocks are all one giant connected buidling that is 3-4 stories high, windows everywhere, even more garbage, and sewage water runnin down the side of the street. The smell is so bad i can't even begin to describe it. The whole thing was like a movie to me. I wish all the anti-war people could come see this country. They need our help here. Maybe not from the army anymore but from someone. I've never actually seen a third world country until now. It makes me really grateful that I was born and raised in America. All the things that we take for granted like school, walmart, fastfood, restaraunts in general, personal cars not just family cars, movies, and all the expiriences that come with all of those things. Ottumwa is like Los angeles compared to fallujah. It's pretty crazy. At one point we had to drive through a field of mud, and my squadleader who is my truck commander was so scared i was gonna get stuck. He kept yellin at me "GO GO GO, ALLEN I SWEAR IF YOU GET THIS TRUCK STUCK I WIL F***ING KILL YOU!!!" I found it amusing. I had to teach everyone else how to put it in all wheel drive right before that. But I made it through just fine. The guy in the last truck got stuck, but only for a second. So I go to go muddin in a 73,500 lbs truck. That part was really fun. Overall being the lead driver wasn't too bad. All the trash pile look like every picture of every IED i have ever seen and it is very unsettling, but there isn't much I can do about it unless I see a bunch of wires or somethin. It was exciting but by the time we got back I was probably the tiredest I've ever been. I went to bed about 7:30 and slept until 5:50 when I had to get up to do my guard shift. That's where I am now. I can't wait to get my mail and get done with this QRF. But hey, I FINALLY WENT OUTSIDE THE WIRE!!!! WOO!"

Jim :salute:

Gosh, I didn't know they made them that heavy! I hope they have 4 axles + with that weight, that is heavier than my HEMTT and it needs the 4 axles as to not go to the bottom on every mud hole. I'm sure glad those new vehicles are being put to such good use, and I hope they can bag their daily limit AND keep safe.

Perhaps, if you and your son are willing, you can keep this thread refreshed with additional posts from him. It would be a good thing for all of us to be reminded regularly and in real time what your son is seeing, hearing and, yes, smelling, with his own senses. That you would share what you already have shared with us is more proof that TS is a family worth being a member of.

Jim

Perhaps, if you and your son are willing, you can keep this thread refreshed with additional posts from him. It would be a good thing for all of us to be reminded regularly and in real time what your son is seeing, hearing and, yes, smelling, with his own senses. That you would share what you already have shared with us is more proof that TS is a family worth being a member of.

Jim

This would be a very wonderful and giving gift to all our TS family. We all know what the media says, but I like to hear what the brave men and women ( like your son ) have to say.

Thanks again Jim for sharing.

My son has been in Iraq about 3 weeks, now. Below is an unedited email from him describing his first trip off the base at Camp Taqqadum, Iraq. A couple of explanations: MRAP's - Mine Resistant Armored Protection - big armored vehicles designed to protect our troops better than Humvees.

QRF - Quick Reaction Force

"So last night right as soon as my guard shift was over, a convoy of marines got hit with an IED in fallujah so we had to roll out with EOD to go take care of em. No one got hurt though cause of the MRAP's. We were out for about 6 hours. It was my first time gettin to see the country. When people say it's like being on mars they're not kidding. It's like the twilight zone out there. There is garbage EVERYWHERE, the whole country smells like shit, pardon my language but it's the only word that comes close, and everything looks like it's older than time itself. There's little houses and shanty shacks all over the place, and then right next to them there will be a pretty big, pretty nice house. Wild dogs runnin all over the place, skinniest cows i have ever seen in my life. Then there's the city. WOW. The city blocks are all one giant connected buidling that is 3-4 stories high, windows everywhere, even more garbage, and sewage water runnin down the side of the street. The smell is so bad i can't even begin to describe it. The whole thing was like a movie to me. I wish all the anti-war people could come see this country. They need our help here. Maybe not from the army anymore but from someone. I've never actually seen a third world country until now. It makes me really grateful that I was born and raised in America. All the things that we take for granted like school, walmart, fastfood, restaraunts in general, personal cars not just family cars, movies, and all the expiriences that come with all of those things. Ottumwa is like Los angeles compared to fallujah. It's pretty crazy. At one point we had to drive through a field of mud, and my squadleader who is my truck commander was so scared i was gonna get stuck. He kept yellin at me "GO GO GO, ALLEN I SWEAR IF YOU GET THIS TRUCK STUCK I WIL F***ING KILL YOU!!!" I found it amusing. I had to teach everyone else how to put it in all wheel drive right before that. But I made it through just fine. The guy in the last truck got stuck, but only for a second. So I go to go muddin in a 73,500 lbs truck. That part was really fun. Overall being the lead driver wasn't too bad. All the trash pile look like every picture of every IED i have ever seen and it is very unsettling, but there isn't much I can do about it unless I see a bunch of wires or somethin. It was exciting but by the time we got back I was probably the tiredest I've ever been. I went to bed about 7:30 and slept until 5:50 when I had to get up to do my guard shift. That's where I am now. I can't wait to get my mail and get done with this QRF. But hey, I FINALLY WENT OUTSIDE THE WIRE!!!! WOO!"

Jim :salute:

My prayers are for your Son to be safe. My heart goes out to all those who serve our Country for others freedom.

Steve

AZ.

Viet Nam Vet 66-69

Archived