TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need semi-auto rifle

have you thought about an AK-47 rounds are pretty cheap and tons of knock down/stopping power. U.S. forces in theater once qualified choose the AK over the M-16 due to its dependability and stopping power. I also own 2 AR-15 variants... had I bought the AK first I would never of owned either AR-15. I have had two bolts crack on the AR's and they do jam easily BUT their accuracy is as good as anythiing if not better than all others including my AK. I am a stickler for maintaining my guns everything I own is maintained top notch and the AR's are still finicky just as finicky as the M-16 I shot active duty.

ak2011.jpg

01032009585.jpg

I will assume you have a spot to go shoot? Your pictures look similar to my closet. We will have to hook up in Jan and go shoot.

Guess I'm old school. My Vietnam era .30 carbine does a great job at disposing of vermin then and now.

M1_Carbine.jpg

+1

I have one of them too, nice gun but not quite as fun and def. not as light as the mini or the AR.

Chris

Ruger is making an AR variant called the SR 556 http://www.ruger.com/SR556/. All the goodness of the AR without the dirty direct inpingement gas system. The ruger has a gas piston, adjustable too. But its .223 only right now (hope they come with a .308 variant or 6.8 rem spc). Not a big fan of .223, good for coyotes but if your looking for something good on big 2 legged coyotes, .223 will never knock em down like a .30 cal. weapon.

KC666

:rockon:

All hell has been breaking loose lol

I have a few thousand rounds and some reloading equipment I used to be into the sport big time

I keep this in my desk drawer at work

4510TKR-3SSMAG_r1.jpg

Taurus Judge 45/ 410 3" chamber

This is in case my brother-in-law gets shot first (his office is closer to the front door !) I can then gun down the shooter..

Andrew

Now, don't start with that one. :hysterical: If you use the Barrett, you won't have to bother to go out and pick up the remains. The coyote would be vapor.

Jim

:happy feet: another bonus - do it from a mile and half away - saving gas - don't have to

drive up close :hysterical: :happy feet:

Now, don't start with that one. :hysterical: My excuse for not having one is it would not fit in the gun safe (true story). If you use the Barrett, you won't have to bother to go out and pick up the remains. The coyote would be vapor.

Jim

Unfortunately, you have a much better excuse than that in California.......They've been illegal for civilian ownership (in .50 cal) since 1 Jan 2005. Mr. Barrett has since circumvented this minor detail by bringing out the .416 Barrett which is a shortened and neck-down version of the .50 cal. Very cool!

I have a nice 30/30 Winchester for close range coyotes. I'd like to buy my first semi-auto rifle that has an external magazine, and a reputation for reliability, accuracy and won't jam if it gets a little desert sand in it (if there is such a thing). Must be made in the USA.

I don't really need photos, I'll research all your recommendations.

Thanks

I’m assuming that you want the rifle for coyotes. Is that it or do you want it for other uses like home defense, other animals (big game) target shooting? Are you going to try to keep it clean and functioning or do you want something that you can (and will) abuse? And what about portability, caliber and price? All important considerations when selecting the right firearm. There have been some good suggestions so far but mine would have to be any of the AR-15 variants offered for the following reasons:

1. Accuracy, probably (and perhaps arguably) THE most potentially accurate semi-auto out there.

2. The most useful weapon currently on the market due to it’s modular design. You can buy one lower receiver assembly (serial numbered receiver) and will have the capability of having/building, through the mail and without having to do any paperwork; anything from a .22 long rifle to .50 Beowulf and everything in between simply by manipulating two pins. If you wish you can even build a single shot upper receiver in most any long action caliber. They even have a .410 shotgun version AND (get this) a CROSSBOW upper made by PSE. What the aftermarket has done with the lil ol’ AR-15 is nothing short of amazing and (at least to me) exciting!

3. You can buy just the lower receiver (and you better get it while the getting’s good) and build any gun you want at your own pace.

4. Parts and support is easy to come by and largely inexpensive or at least reasonable.

5. As long as you provide reasonable care/maintenance and learn how to use it well, I think it’s the best thing going and will satisfy all but the most specialized requirements.

6. As you mentioned, do a lot of research and you will make the right choice.

have you thought about an AK-47 rounds are pretty cheap and tons of knock down/stopping power. U.S. forces in theater once qualified choose the AK over the M-16 due to its dependability and stopping power. I also own 2 AR-15 variants... had I bought the AK first I would never of owned either AR-15. I have had two bolts crack on the AR's and they do jam easily BUT their accuracy is as good as anythiing if not better than all others including my AK. I am a stickler for maintaining my guns everything I own is maintained top notch and the AR's are still finicky just as finicky as the M-16 I shot active duty.

ak2011.jpg

01032009585.jpg

nice!

I have a bushmaster AR-15, and then I ordered a new upper to convert it to a .50 Beowulf...I love it...sorry no pics here at work. Its the best of both worlds...great .223 and a .50 all in one package. I'll get a pic up as soon as I attach the new 37mm "flare" launcher. :no comment on that:

For portability I have a Kel-Tec PLR16 which is a pistol version of the AR-15 .223

And then I also picked up a Taurus Judge like you saw earlier in the thread.....for snakes and such.

My concealed carry is a Glock 27 with laser built into the guide rod so no additional bulk. And for regular carry, a Springfield XD-M .40 for its ultra high capacity mag. (16+1 rds)

My hog gun is a SAIGA 12 gauge AK-47...its a fun little pea shooter... ;-)

I do plan on getting a Barrett at some point...after the car gets all its toys.

Archived