TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need semi-auto rifle

I have a nice 30/30 Winchester for close range coyotes. I'd like to buy my first semi-auto rifle that has an external magazine, and a reputation for reliability, accuracy and won't jam if it gets a little desert sand in it (if there is such a thing). Must be made in the USA.

I don't really need photos, I'll research all your recommendations.

Thanks

I have a nice 30/30 Winchester for close range coyotes. I'd like to buy my first semi-auto rifle that has an external magazine, and a reputation for reliability, accuracy and won't jam if it gets a little desert sand in it (if there is such a thing). Must be made in the USA.

Thanks

What caliber are you looking for?

MM

Thanks

I would go with a Remington model 7400 synthetic you can pretty much get it in any cal you

would like.

Semi auto - Ruger mini 14 ranch in .223 w/ scope. Make sure you can put a scope on it before purchase.

Recommend stainless too!!! It wont rust!

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAP...&type=Rifle

I'm really liking what I read about this rifle. It is also very similar to the M-14 rifle I had in the military.

I would go with a Remington model 7400 synthetic you can pretty much get it in any cal you

would like.

+1 you could get it in .243. Guys around here even hunt deer with a .243 so it would be good for small and medium size game. If it is strictly for coyotes; some guys swear by the .22-270 which is suppose to have a lot of range and a flat trajectory. Good luck.

+1 you could get it in .243. Guys around here even hunt deer with a .243 so it would be good for small and medium size game. If it is strictly for coyotes; some guys swear by the .22-270 which is suppose to have a lot of range and a flat trajectory. Good luck.

Years ago (as in 41 years ago) I was a member of the California Varmit Callers Association. In those days it was legal to hunt mountain lions, bob cats, badgers, racoons and coyotes. My partner used a .243 and I used a 6mm. I shot a Remington 700 BDL. That is not a semi-auto, though.

In the early 70's I bought an AR-15 as my brush gun for hunting deer. I still have it today (although now it is all grown up and called an "assault weapon") and it is the best semi-auto I have used. The .223 round is a good one that you can load a variety of ways.

The Ruger Mini 14 would be my second choice.

Aren't you sorry you asked now?

Jim

Aren't you sorry you asked now?

Jim

Not at all. I'm trying to learn as much as I can in a short period of time. The gun manufacturers all say 4-6 weeks for catalogs so I thought I'd check with you guys first to narrow the field.

Who made your AR-15? The M-16 was being issued after my service and while everyone loved the light weight they had a bad habit of jamming. I assume they figured all that out over the years?

Thanks

Not at all. I'm trying to learn as much as I can in a short period of time. The gun manufacturers all say 4-6 weeks for catalogs so I thought I'd check with you guys first to narrow the field.

Who made your AR-15? The M-16 was being issued after my service and while everyone loved the light weight they had a bad habit of jamming. I assume they figured all that out over the years?

Thanks

Mine was made by Colt. I have used it in many conditions and the only jamming problem I have ever had was when I used crummy ammunition and the jam was at the ejection port. The AR-15 is the easiest handling weapon I have ever had; virtually no recoil, excellent with iron sights (I have never put a scope on it); light weight and will fire all day.

Wish you were a bit closer and you could try it out for yourself. These things are hard to find these days as most folks figure it is best to just keep them in the gun safe and not let anyone know they have them (I can really understand that). Too late for me as my was registered long ago under the first iteration of the gun ban legislation in California.

BYW, I was only kidding with the "aren't you sorry you asked" comment.

Jim

AR-15's or AR-10's can be had in a variety of configurations and manufactures. Colt , Armalite, and of late, Smith & Wesson. 5.56 or .308, match grade barrels, sight rails for optical and red dot. Very reliable and very comfortable to shoot. The Rugers are fine weapons, but I've also heard accuracy isn't the greatest.

Of Coarse, here's a semi auto with excellent range and accuracy:

http://www.barrettrifles.com/home/rifle_82.aspx

:finger: At my age I think I'd need a new shoulder after the first shot.

I've found a few online companies that allow you to build your own AR15. I've also ordered a couple of books on how to build one so that I can learn about the various component differences.

Lightweight and almost no recall also sounds very good.

Bushmaster makes very nice wepons, and their variant of the AR-15 too.

http://www.bushmaster.com/index.asp

You will sleep well with one of these next to your bed...

post-4213-1252256214_thumb.jpg

I'd go with an AR-15.

+1. I have a Stag Arms AR-15 because I'm a lefty, and they're one of the few that offer left side ejection. They're also chambered for 5.56 NATO, which is a plus, because it's cheaper, and you can also shoot .223 caliber (but if you have an AR-15 chambered for .223, you CAN NOT shoot 5.56 through it). So if you buy an AR-15, look for 5.56.

Of Coarse, here's a semi auto with excellent range and accuracy:

http://www.barrettrifles.com/home/rifle_82.aspx

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Now, don't start with that one. :hysterical: My excuse for not having one is it would not fit in the gun safe (true story). If you use the Barrett, you won't have to bother to go out and pick up the remains. The coyote would be vapor.

Jim

Bushmaster makes very nice wepons, and their variant of the AR-15 too.

http://www.bushmaster.com/index.asp

You will sleep well with one of these next to your bed...

post-4213-1252256214_thumb.jpg

You don't need a scope in your bedroom do you? :hysterical: How about a laser sight for that close range stuff?

Jim

Don't get the Colt H-Bar (heavy barrel). I have the Colt AR-15A2 H-bar and it is so heavy I don't like carrying it. Looks like the military version but the barrel doesn't choke down near the gas tube so it is very heavy to carry. I like a gun that is lightweight to carry but it's been years since I have done any shooting or hunting.

edit (recreational shooting)

You don't need a scope in your bedroom do you? :hysterical: How about a laser sight for that close range stuff?

Jim

That's a stock photo from BM's website. Mine definately does have a laser sight on it as well as my Mossberg 12 gauge too. During the dark of night, if the sound of a chambering weapon doesn't make the intruder have loose bowels, a red dot hovering on their upper torso will be the last thing they ever see...

I'm refering to Coyotes of course. :shades: You would be suprised as to how many varments like that are in the Los Angeles area. I certainly don't want any of those pesky critters coming into my residence unchecked. :hysterical:

have you thought about an AK-47 rounds are pretty cheap and tons of knock down/stopping power. U.S. forces in theater once qualified choose the AK over the M-16 due to its dependability and stopping power. I also own 2 AR-15 variants... had I bought the AK first I would never of owned either AR-15. I have had two bolts crack on the AR's and they do jam easily BUT their accuracy is as good as anythiing if not better than all others including my AK. I am a stickler for maintaining my guns everything I own is maintained top notch and the AR's are still finicky just as finicky as the M-16 I shot active duty.

ak2011.jpg

01032009585.jpg

have you thought about an ak-47 rounds are pretty cheap and tons of knock down/stopping power. us forces in theater once qualified choose the AK over the M-16 due to its dependabilithy and stopping power I also own 2 AR-15 variants... had i bought the AK first i would never of owned either AR-15 I have had two bolts crackon the AR's and they do jam easily their accuracy is as good as if not better than all others including my AK i am a religious cleaner and shooter everything I own is maintained top notch

ak2011.jpg

01032009585.jpg

Ahhh, Nevada. What's it like to be free? :lurk:

(I'm in New York. Bloomberg and Schumer regulate our freedom). :cry:

Ahhh, Nevada. What's it like to be free? :lurk:

(I'm in New York. Bloomberg and Schumer regulate our freedom). :cry:

Yep, living around the wide open desert has some advantages. Being able to drive a few miles down the road and shoot is one of them, having coyotes in your yard, not so good.

have you thought about an AK-47 rounds are pretty cheap and tons of knock down/stopping power. U.S. forces in theater once qualified choose the AK over the M-16 due to its dependability and stopping power. I also own 2 AR-15 variants... had I bought the AK first I would never of owned either AR-15. I have had two bolts crack on the AR's and they do jam easily BUT their accuracy is as good as anythiing if not better than all others including my AK. I am a stickler for maintaining my guns everything I own is maintained top notch and the AR's are still finicky just as finicky as the M-16 I shot active duty.

ak2011.jpg

01032009585.jpg

Whoa, if all hell breaks loose in the world can I come stay with you?

Archived