TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Go Like Hell: Ford, Ferrari, and Their Battle for Speed and Glory at Le Mans

twobjshelbys

I'm sorry to say this about the book (Go Like Hell), but I got to the last page. I wish it were longer. All those black and white pictures some of us have, now are seen in color with new information and conversations from reading the book. The story of CS driving the writer to the airport and discussing Ken Miles was very telling about the inner man-Carroll Shelby. A good book to give for a present to someone who appreciates the intertwined history of the Duce, CS, and Enzo. You couldn't dream up a better story to make into a movie.

Grady

The book is certainly "vivid and rich". The storytelling is so good that it is like watching the movie while you read it. There is a script being written and from what I've been told may be nearly done. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes to name the cast and see how long to begin production.

I'd love to get a copy of the new Daytona book, but the economy has hit me hard enough to kill that for now. I was smart/lucky enough to get the Daytona Coupe; The Racing Cobras book when it first came out. It is magnificent. It sits in a cabinet one display behind the Exoto Daytona Coupe I have on display with it.

Just want to remind everyone that Dave Friedman, the Shelby American Official Photographer, also has a book out titled: Shelby GT40 published by Motorbooks.

I got in soft back form and it is wonderful. He has included some truly remarkable pictures and his notes are a good source of inside information about what was going on at Shelby American. It also has interesting insights into the other teams like Holman Moody and Jim Hall's Chaparral. If you haven't read the book and are interested in the Ford Ferrari 1960s rivalry, I highly recommend it.

Finally, Ferrari supporters always like to mention how much Ford spent. Even Jay managed to get in a comment about how small Ferrari was and how huge Ford was as a company. I still think it is amazing that Carroll and company took the failing GT40 program over and in less than a year were beating Ferrari. Ferrari had more than twenty years of development behind their racers and for a company to overcome that handicap no matter what the investment was, is an engineering and racing masterpiece. My hat (black of course) is off to Carroll and the team at Shelby American and especially to Ken Miles.

I just watched a biographical documentary on CNBC last evening about Enzo Ferrari. It was quite good and briefly included his losses to FoMoCo and Carroll during the sixties which, according to the documentary, was aparantly a *historical turning point for Ferrari. Although short in length, Carroll has an on camera interview where he discusses those wins as well as Enzo cancelling the race because he was getting his ass kicked all over the place.

*Aparantly, Enzo did not like to loose (duh, who does?), and took loosing quite personally. According to the biography, up until his losses to Ford/Shelby, Ferrari had not lost a race to anyone for aproxmately 20 years before Carroll's team kicked his ass.

If you liked "Go like Hell" you should enjoy the CNBC documentary too.

Here is the schedule for when it will be re-aired on CNBC:

Sunday, October 17th 7p ET

Sunday, October 25th 11p | 3a ET

Wednesday, October 28th 8p ET

It was on Saturday, Oct 17. If you didn't get it last night try to get it next week. I DVRd it and am watching now. So far it's interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I'm nearing the end. Ken Miles just augered in. This was sad. But here are some words to live by:

... As one obit put it, "We don't have to feel sorry for people who choose to live dangerously, and lose. So the bull wins one. The matador must take the risk. The closer he plays to the horn, the better the show... Well, Miles, good show".

Everyone should live their lives, and especially, their careers, this way. I've taken chances. Lost some, won more.

So long Ken, it was a good show.

Today is the anniversary of Ken Miles' death.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just got done reading the book (Go like hell) in an unconventional way. I take my lil' guy to the public library once a week to get tutored for math (an hour session) While waiting, I go to the quiet area and I read the book. It's a great book for sure.

• 2 years later...

Uh...... yeah. Why would they think Tom Cruise could do Carroll Shelby justice? One person commented about Patrick Dempsey. He's not a bad actor and at least he is passionate about racing and especially LeMans. How about Matt Damon or Hugh Jackman? Both of those guys could pull it off as well.

I say either Patrick Dempsey or Adam Carolla. I don't think I could stomach watching it with Tom Cruise. Why did they choose a midget compared to Carroll? Adam Carolla is a hell of a car guy, can wheel a race car, and if you actually look at his recent pictures, has a lot of Carroll's appearance traits.

Just finished the book "Go like Hell" Great read. Learned a lot about Le Mans and ole Enzo. Shelby was really a something coming back to win after so many disappointing years. The cast of characters is amazing and will likely never be repeated. I am sure CS regretted to the day he passed for not making the decision to allow Miles to win. He would have been the only triple crown winner in history. (Daytona, Sebring & LeMans)

Just finished the book "Go like Hell" Great read. Learned a lot about Le Mans and ole Enzo. Shelby was really a something coming back to win after so many disappointing years. The cast of characters is amazing and will likely never be repeated. I am sure CS regretted to the day he passed for not making the decision to allow Miles to win. He would have been the only triple crown winner in history. (Daytona, Sebring & LeMans)

I heard CS say that very thing.

Archived