TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford Mustang Giugiaro

Guest staff2

Of course, the Lambo doors won't make the cut - or the over the top glass - or the mini mirrors/cameras (whatever) - or the Bling tail lights - but the recessed 1/4's might - the front clip might -

You'd think that since Ford bougtht Mazda - they'd learn a lesson in styling. If you've got it right - don't :censored: with it. Subtle changes, yes. I think the current design is classic. Perhaps less "butt" - perhaps a lowered roofline - maybe the 1/4 windows...small changes. Increased value.

Bill - it ain't broke - don't fix it. :shift:

Man,...talk about a kissing cousin to the new camaro. Last time I checked,I thought the stang was a great ole American muscle pony car,...not some Euro trash design. Looks like the end result if a new stang collided with a new nissan 350z,and new camaro at the same time,....ouch! :hysterical: lol,....the back end and doors really got to go first!!!

:hysterical2:

You guys are killing me!

Actually, I like the overall shape -- very GR1-like, but not much of the detailing like the rear lights, interior and and funky rear edge shape.

I saw an earlier Ford design exercise on the 09/10 refresh that had 'slantier' eyes -- these don't roll-off into the fender and I like that.

The Camaro is much pointer and the grille area, unlike the giugiaro, is fender-to-fender. I like the front shape of the Giorgiaro and the grille area, and that the lights are separate, like a mustang ought to be -- but I guess I'm in the minority.

Of course the screwy Italian-style interior and horse-fir and funky steering wheel and guages and -- well just chuck most of the interior!

Now, refine it to respect manufacturability, back-slant the rear like the GR-1, make it light, and fit a 500HP OHC NA alloy Hurricane/Boss in it and I'm sold!!!

<flamesuit on -- lol -- hosing down just in case> :extinguish:

I was looking closer at this abortion, where the hell is the trunk?

:hysterical2:

You wanted a trunk? :idea: Must be an option!

I don't think this is intended to be a production car. I'm guessing Ford wanted ItalDesign's assistance on some fresh ideas to 'test.' The slanty eyes on the earlier Ford concept drew a bunch of criticism, from what I can tell.

If they ever made a mustang that literally looked like this it would only sell in Europe to people with no need for a trunk :hysterical: and who aren't allergic to horses :hysterical:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, love it or hate it, some of it is indeed going to appear in the 2010 Stang (due in late '09). I was told the following by an insider who attended the Showroom of the Future >>

The [2010] Mustang will not be exactly like the [Guigario] Italian concept. The interior...NOTHING like it. Put the front end of that car on a current Mustang, slightly round the rear...and there you have it.

Well, love it or hate it, some of it is indeed going to appear in the 2010 Stang (due in late '09). I was told the following by an insider who attended the Showroom of the Future >>

The [2010] Mustang will not be exactly like the [Guigario] Italian concept. The interior...NOTHING like it. Put the front end of that car on a current Mustang, slightly round the rear...and there you have it.

Guess I am glad I just got my '07 GT Vertible. Looks like I will be holding on to it for a while, cuz me no likey that "concept". I like the last mustang concept much better than that fugly thing?????? What does this mean for the next gen "Cobra" or GT500, or whatever they will call it. I think that is the best looking 'stang out now, hope they don't screw that up when I can finally afford to get one! Later,,,,,,,

I like the new concept. It does look very different. BUt after reading some of these...I do see where you come from. it does have a euro look def not american. i just hope that they keep the car...whether american or euro in 2 doors. NO sedan or WAGON please....i make fun of my cousin bc he has an srt8 charger....i call it the family charger bc its 4 doors and i tell him dodge is considering make the 2010 charger a minivan :lol: (that is if the car is still being made :rolleyes: ) ....dont let that happen to mustang...PLEASE....i can c it now....4 doors and wagon....sure it will sell to the wanna be mustang people and soccer moms but the coupes and convertibles wont anymore bc the true mustang fans will be too embarassed and just hate the car....

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a combination of a eclipse and camaro, I hope to god the new mustang doesent look like this. Theres to much of a jap look to this not very mustang to me, the front end isent that bad side is alright the ass end those tail lights need a change, when the retro wars are over i could see a mustang liek this, but is this is out when the camaro/challenger is out i will be very disapointed.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep...... if this is close to the 2010 Mustang then FORD is in for more hard times.

We just got the muscle look back and its gonna be changed for a ricer look? no, no, no, no. Try again. Not even a nice try.

It is fugly. Come on ! if the same team that put this together also put the fugly horse hair seats in the car, then there is no accounting for taste in this concept.

:finger:

imho

I'm liking SOME of the styling elements on the Giugiaro, but definately not the fur and carap like that. The Camaro-like headlights are ok and I kinda like the set in tail-lights if it was in a diff shape.

What I relly like is the overall shape (separate from styling)... lower, wider in front, hippier, aero... just needs to be more mustang! , imo

All I'd change is the rear end of mine.

Take off 6-8" of trunk.

Too much rear end to be balanced.

I didn't buy this thing for the trunk!

<lol> Damn, my wife says all these things about me all the time! :hysterical2:

Maybe there's a monkey in that trunk? :hysterical:

Seriously, tho, I think the shape of cars are starting to change because the technology is permitting change, and Camaro and Challenger will also change perceptions and expectations by the time the 2012 all-new pony debuts. Funny, tho, a 'production' Camaro body was shown (as a vert) in Winding Road and it's starting to look more and more watered down -- the old 'concept' game at work ;-)

I do agree that the Giugiaro is too far afield of Mustang's character but I can't see it staying retro too much longer. Or, Bryan, did you mean it doesn't have to be retro but needs to be more masculine/assertive [or less aero] than the Giugiaro? Or is it the softer euro design that's not saying Mustang? Or? You've made your GT look so sweet that I'm interested in what you think about this -- you clearly have styling taste!

I was reading a R&T interview with Ian Callum on the new Jag XKR and the language he uses to describe design elements is incredibly elaborate. Then the design chief at Ford NA the other day does a similarly flowery description of the Lincoln MKR grille styling and how it goes back to a '20s Linc and is reminescent of the front of a ship parting the seas (or some such -- bad choice of words -- BOAT flashed into my mind -- bad image <lol>).

I guess the best part is that we will never see any mustang actually like the Giugiaro since it's just a concept. Did you like the Ford 2012 concept sketches better -- more "mustang," more volume, more wind-swept?

Sorry. I still like the brawny/beefy look of the current GT. All I'd change is the rear end of mine. Take off 6-8" of trunk. Too much rear end to be balanced. I didn't buy this thing for the trunk!

If you don't mind me jumping in, I would definitely agree, that is the one styling correction I would make to the current car.

I do think the next gen car has to be a more modern interpretation of the original design as opposed to a strictly retro theme. However, there is certain Mustang DNA that must be present in the next gen Mustang. My opinion is that the next gen car must be more evolutionary than revolutionary. Certainly, the Guigiaro is too "revolutionary" for the Mustang.

I like talking about this!

Dan - what I'm trying to say is I think buyers of the GT want it because it projects Muscle Car. To me, that means a bit crude - and rough.

Analogy - A muscle car to me is a WWF wrestler. This concept car is more of a marathon runner - sleek, athletic - and trim. My car is tough - a heavyweight - and in your face.

I know designs have to evolve - and everyone's worried about efficiency - but we have imports now for that "look."

Look at the concept Challenger - very very similar to the original. Wide - low - big hp - heavy.

This Mustang concept is too - taught - too tight - too Euro.

So - the younger generation might like the direction this concept appears to be taking us - but I doubt many baby boomers who grew up with the '60's cars will agree.

But - when it's time for a new one, I'll probably buy it! But I'll have plenty of memories of my current heavyweight champ! :shift:

It is rare indeed that a concept car like this ever makes it to production, they are merely tests of public reaction. The current mustang is one exception. There are certainly a few styling cues that I like and many I do not. Some designs I find acceptable to a sedan but not to a coupe. I like the Lincoln MKR but I would not trade it for my Shelby.

Done for now :hyper:

• 1 month later...

here is a link to an interview with Giugiaro. He mentions how its cues may be used in future mustangs. The new motortrend mag, however, also interviewed him and he did state that his car was an idea and that Ford was not using his interpretation of the car. Here is the link to an interview

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/01/18/spy-sho...ord-mustang-gt/

here is a link to an interview with Giugiaro. He mentions how its cues may be used in future mustangs. The new motortrend mag, however, also interviewed him and he did state that his car was an idea and that Ford was not using his interpretation of the car. Here is the link to an interview

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/01/18/spy-sho...ord-mustang-gt/

Look at how much money was wasted then, especially if they are not going to use the damn thing. What a shame, I think it has possibilities.

Archived