TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What's it like living in Arizona ?

Who here lives in Arizona? Near Chandler by Pheonix?

What's it like?

How do your kid's like it? (my boy is almost 15)

I'm considering relocating for a 2 year job and the company I have worked for 20+ years is going to open a office in AZ to chase more work.

Work is getting real tough here and I have no project in August to go to.

Both my Mom and Sister live in Sun City and Glendale, respectively. They love the 300+ days of sunshine and nice, mild winters. If the Valley is too hot for you during the summer, you can also head north up to Flagstaff. If you get a chance, check out Minder Binders (burgers) and Native New Yorker (wings), both near ASU.

Lived there for 20 years. Moved back to Ca. in 2007. It's really not a bad place to live and raise a family. My 13 year old daughter still complains about wanting to move back. We live 1 block from the beach now, go figure! Yes it gets hot, but "it's a dry heat." The heat never really bothered me until it got over about 105 degrees. Anything over 105 just felt F*%#ing hot! I still have property there, and who knows I might someday move back. With 320 days a year of sunshine it would be quite the difference from Wa.

What's it like?

I'm considering relocating for a 2 year job and the company I have worked for 20+ years is going to open a office in AZ to chase more work.

Being a native of AZ, work is tough to locate here also. AZ is a great diverse state. Phoenix has lots to do, close to a lot of things. Only a few months of hot weather the other 9 are great. No hurricanes, no major disasters. AZ has a lot to offer. You can drive a 100 miles each way and be in the desert, or forest, or dunes or ? Very diverse in topology. Lots of sweet cars in the area. Hope it pans our well for you. Housing can be had cheap right now if you shop around.

Jeff

Grabber, I have a friend who lives in Tucson (a car nut, imagine that). If you'd like I could ask him if he'd mind trading an email or two or talking to you about AZ. He loves it there but he'll give you all the facts. Just PM me if interested!

Grabber,

Half of my family lives in Fountain Hills AZ. I go there 2-3 times a year to visit. I like the heat so that part doesn't bother me. I hate leaving there anytime I visit. My last trip there I trailed my motorcycle and had some incredible rides up to Sedona and around that area. I think your kids would like it there if they like outdoor activities. There's almost nothing you can't do there as far as sporting activities go.

Unlike the midwest, there's not alot of rain out there.

My wife and I have been looking for a home out there near the Cave Creek and Carefree area. The housing market is good for buyers right now. AZ got hit pretty hard.

I have a friend that lives in the Scottsdale area and just raves about it. But everyone is different and she doesn't have any kids. I've only been twice, I liked it, but wasn't there with an eye to move there. I am sorry to hear yu may have to move. I know you've put a lot of work into your house and have DEEP roots it seems into your community. I'm sure either way things will work out. Good luck!

I lived in Chandler for 3 years and loved it!!! if I ever find a job out there I will go back, I worked at the Air Force base there. The golf courses are great, the malls are fun, and your only minutes from alot of great restruants and Barrett Jackson every year!! I used to go to the lake called waterdog alot, and on fridays they used to shut down all the streets by the college campus by ASU and have street festivasl, Dang man you make me want to get my resume out and start sending, as soon as all the surgery's on my arm are done I might do it, :happy feet: Later Mickey

Hey Rob, I have lived in Az all my life. I love it. Grew up in the Phoenix area. Az is a diverse state you can be in Phoenix area wearing shorts in the winter, drive a few hours and be snow skiing. I grew up in the Phoenix area (Mesa) but now about 100 miles north in Prescott, about 5200 ft elevation. Can be very hot in the Phoenix area in the summer but the winters are absolutely gorgeous. We have a condo in Scottsdale so hang out their a lot in the winter. Let me know if I can help any further.

Jim

What's the crime situation like?

Specifically the gang situation?

Are white guys a minority and treated as such?

Are white kids in school a minority?

I ask these questions because one of the guys I work with told me it would be culture shock for my son at school.

Have you thought of commuting? You could fly out of PDX and work 4-10's and feel things out before you make the commitment to move, just a thought. :unsure:

The job is a 5-10's job. Times are changing and the company is no longer flying people back and forth for out of town work. :banghead:

If I want to commute, it would mean flying home every 2 months for a 3 day week end at the most. I could also use my vacation time to spend time at home. this would mean that I would need to get a condo in AZ or find a room somewhere. This is an option...but it would be very tough on me and my family. More so on me. This option is on the bottom of my list.

Here's the 2007 data I found.

ARIZONA CRIME CYCLE

The following represents the approximate number of Crime Index Offenses that were reported to

Arizona law enforcement agencies every 24 hours during 2007.

1 MURDER

5 RAPES

26 ROBBERIES

49 AGGRAVATED ASSAULTS

153 BURGLARIES

472 LARCENY - THEFTS

129 MOTOR VEHICLE THEFTS

5 ARSONS

ARIZONA CRIME CLOCK

one

MAJOR CRIME

every 1 min. 43 sec.

one

VIOLENT CRIME

every 17 min. 52 sec.

one

PROPERTY CRIME

every 1 min. 54 sec.

one

MURDER

every 18 hrs. 52 min.

one

FORCIBLE RAPE

every 4 hrs. 53 min.

one

ROBBERY

every 55 min. 34 sec.

one

AGGRAVATED ASSAULT

every 29 min. 25 sec.

one

BURGLARY

every 9 min. 26 sec.

one

LARCENY - THEFT

every 3 min. 3 sec.

one

MOTOR VEHICLE THEFT

every 11 min. 7 sec.

one

ARSON

every 4 hrs. 56 min.

I ask these questions because one of the guys I work with told me it would be culture shock for my son at school.

I would say crime compares with other big cities but not as bad as some.

There is gang activity but that is everywhere now.

Depends on the school district.

You may want to look in the Scottsdale area. Housing a little more but a more upscale part of the valley.

Talk with Chip Beck. He is in Scottsdale.

Jim

Scottsdale is nice, but the new neighborhoods in the Lake Pleasant Pkwy area are the places to be. I'm in the north Phoenix area, which has been pretty nice, but plan to move farther north. It seems the riff-raff manages to come a little farther north every year, necessitating the move. I'm looking at a foreclosure in that area that was $810K three years ago, now asking $325K.

I was just at a car show at Sanderson Ford last night, decent turnout, perfect weather! There are two shows tonight; one in my neighborhood at 83rd ave. Safeway, and also the well-known Scottsdale Pavillions...which incidentally is the longest running consecutive car show in America. Two dragstrips, two NASCAR races a year, football, hockey, baseball, lakes, off-roading...

We have been spoiled on the weather this year...very few days over 100 so far. Very dry, very tolerable.

Flip side, I was an engineer for Motorola for 11 years, and its all gone! Currently an engineer at Honeywell, which is slated to be gone by 2010. The state is broke (Thanks Janet!), speed cameras are cash machines, illegals, plummeting house values (good time to buy), sun eats decals...

What's it like?

I stayed there in the greater Scottsdale area for a few years, the weather is outstanding, depending on your job situation and what you do for a living, most of the work there is of a low wage due to all of the hispanics, and illegals.

It is very, very hot from may thru sept. but it sure beats the snow. Arizona is a beautiful state, clean, and such. many gangs in downtown Ph, but no biggie.

I would move there in a heart beat if work warranted it. good luck

My sister (as you know) lives in Pheonix. I am here right now. It is 3.5 hours from Palm Springs and around the same weather. You can drive your car year round, unlike WA. AZ is beautiful and clean, and you can get great deals on houses right now. Plus if you mmove there I will get to see you more often!!

Alex

I don't even know what to say to this...so for once I won't say anything.

:headscratch:

Archived