TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Times, They Are a Changin'!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cut way back on how many Car Shows I attend. Went from about 30 a Year to about 8 to 10. And for the next few Years, only 2 are out of Town, (Pensacola and Silver Springs, both in Florida).

I took out loans against what's left of my 401k at 4.25% interest and paid off all of our high interest credit cards and loans. I've paid off my daughter's car and I'm having her pay me the interest for the next 28 months instead. Thanks to the economy, I figure it'll be impossible for my wife and I to retire now.

We have our priorities so while some things change, some things remain the same.

I still go to the cruise nights and local car shows I would have gone to anyway.

I am still going to Vegas 2x this year, in June for a week,$37 rooms at the Flamingo, and a quickie weekend for the NHRA Vegas Nationals over Halloween :shift:

SAI on tap for both trips :drool:, no saving money there, oh well.

I've never had cable or satellite as I am working all ski season and outdoors or doing car stuff most the of the time the rest of the year.

To us, any movie we haven't seen is a new movie so we'll wait for the $1.50 theaters or just rent it. I have a 55" and a 52" flat screen TVs.

Changes:

We don't eat out as much as before. We don't need the extra calories anyway. We manage once or twice on the weekends, at a "sit down" place. I can't remember the last fast food place we ate.

We bring food and drinks from home for work lunches. New or left overs. We'll make stews, soups, etc in the same quantity as when the kids lived home so we are assured left overs. We buy the makings at Sam's (my wife is a Wal-Mart dept. head) as much as possible. This saves $$ for the above priorities while helping out her copmpany.

We are more selective in what concerts we pay go to this season.

Peter Frampton in Aug.

CCR on Labor day

I am more selective in what car accessories, tees and hats I buy this year :cry:

I swithched brands domestic beer because my daughter is the dispatcher for a beer distributor who offers 30 packs of beer going out of date for $10 to employees. Then I recycle the cans for SGT gas!

Over all, we have realized what we could have and should have gotten along without over the years.

Brown bag it or go home for lunch everyday

no concerts this year......well one, got tickets for Incubus in Aug, but we went to 10 shows last year.

more selective about Car Shows and traveling to car events (No Birmingham, No Raleigh Nationals & now No Volo)

cut back on all extras: dinners out, clothes, car-stuff purchases

pay credit card bill in full each month/never pay any interest or finance charges

I now work six days a week instead of four.

I buy malto-meal cereal in the bag.

Never eat out.

Like Dave Ramsey says, "Do not take financial advice from broke people".

Only drink milk or water from my house, it is free.

pay credit card bill in full each month/never pay any interest or finance charges

How much do you want to bet that, that will change real soon.........................

I will bet that, in the next few Months........

<01> Intrest will start at time of Purchase.

<02> There will be a Monthly Service Charge regaudless if you use the Card or not.

<03> There will be a Annual Card Fee just for having the Card, (I guess $50.00 to $100.00).

<04> There will be a "Statement Fee" added each Month for Mailed Monthly Statements.

<05> A Fee will be added for Paying On Line, (I guess $5.00 to $10.00)

I now work six days a week instead of four.

I buy malto-meal cereal in the bag.

Never eat out.

Like Dave Ramsey says, "Do not take financial advice from broke people".

Only drink milk or water from my house, it is free.

I've been drinking pretty much all water for quite some time now. Before the economy tanked.

I've been drinking pretty much all water for quite some time now. Before the economy tanked.

Trust me.....you wouldn't want to Drink the Water at my place.....................

Brown bag it or go home for lunch everyday

no concerts this year......well one, got tickets for Incubus in Aug, but we went to 10 shows last year.

more selective about Car Shows and traveling to car events (No Birmingham, No Raleigh Nationals & now No Volo)

cut back on all extras: dinners out, clothes, car-stuff purchases

Sounds pretty much like us, except I have 40 mile commute to home each way so I definately stay at the resort.

Like Doc, I drink tap water until I get home - and even then until after dinner.

I've also started buying only what's on my list at the store - whether it's the grocery or Lowe's. No impulse buying.

I turned down my water heater so I only use hot water in the shower. Why mix it with cold? The dishwasher heats up the water anyway.

I "bundled" my phone/tv/internet stuff and saved about $50 a month.

I've started buying store brand foods - sometimes they taste the same as name brands.

I've also started shopping at the Adult Toys Second Hand Shop. You can save a bundle there. :lurk:

Like Doc, I drink tap water until I get home - and even then until after dinner.

I've also started buying only what's on my list at the store - whether it's the grocery or Lowe's. No impulse buying.

I turned down my water heater so I only use hot water in the shower. Why mix it with cold? The dishwasher heats up the water anyway.

I "bundled" my phone/tv/internet stuff and saved about $50 a month.

I've started buying store brand foods - sometimes they taste the same as name brands.

I've also started shopping at the Adult Toys Second Hand Shop. You can save a bundle there. :lurk:

careful w the second hand

I never had cable tv and never will, except when I stay at a motel for work. There are good tv shows about cars, but tv to me is a waste of time.

I also have slow dial up for the internet because I am to cheap to pay for high speed.

I remember one now...............we cut out our land line for the phone and just use our cell phones.

Be careful with the hand sanitizer alcohol dries things up. :hysterical:

:happy feet:

I hope you are well, my brother. You're one of the founding members here!

Today, I went back and looked at the first pages of my Ruf's Garage Thread. You were one of the first to congratulate me on my car being delivered! :happy feet:

This September will be three years! :shift:

I never had cable tv and never will, except when I stay at a motel for work. There are good tv shows about cars, but tv to me is a waste of time.

I also have slow dial up for the internet because I am to cheap to pay for high speed.

Hi Jody - I teach online as well as in the classroom, so I have to have high-speed Internet.

And - the Speed Channel alone is worth the cost of cable! :happy feet:

Hi Jody - I teach online as well as in the classroom, so I have to have high-speed Internet.

And - the Speed Channel alone is worth the cost of cable! :happy feet:

Hi Rufdraft,

I agree, Speed Channel is awsome. I guess I am just to tight/cheap.

There is an 85 year old gal that lives beneath my wife and I - depression survivor and all. If there was anything I took from her (which is a LOT - she has so much wisdom), it is this saying from her:

"Fix it, make it do, or do without"...

Ain't that something?

My mother passed last Jan. She was 90. So she experienced WWII and the shortages of basics.

That mindset of making do never left her. It drove me nuts at times, but she never relented.

It's hard to understand what someone has gone through unless you've gone through the same.

Archived