TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cheerios a drug

What's next. How about a tax on coca cola, pepsi, sprite, etc. How about a tax on your health care benefits. How abut taxing your 401 K.

So your the one who suggested that....................... :finger::finger::finger::finger:

Heaven forbid that people might find out about a cheap way to help their health out!! Imagine all the pill companies waiting to sue for loss of profits.

Or maybe, they are just going to go straight for their cut of bail out money.

"Cheerios, the destroyer of the health industry!"

:bowdown:

Before daily Cheerios:

12-15-08

Lipid: Total Cholesterol 211 Goal is less then 200

"Good" HDL Cholesterol 45 Goal is greater than 40

"Bad" LDL Cholesterol 146 Goal is less than 130

After daily Cheerios:

3-30-09

Lipid: Total Ch 193

"Good" Ch 42

"Bad" Ch 126

It does work. If they keep making it, I'm gonna keep eating it. :happy feet: :happy feet:

Before daily Cheerios:

12-15-08

Lipid: Total Cholesterol 211 Goal is less then 200

"Good" HDL Cholesterol 45 Goal is greater than 40

"Bad" LDL Cholesterol 146 Goal is less than 130

After daily Cheerios:

3-30-09

Lipid: Total Ch 193

"Good" Ch 42

"Bad" Ch 126

It does work. If they keep making it, I'm gonna keep eating it. :happy feet: :happy feet:

THATS GREAT.......... how many Bowls do you eat a Day and do you add Sugar to it?

THATS GREAT.......... how many Bowls do you eat a Day and do you add Sugar to it?

Just one bowl. I tried the regular Cheerios for the first box and found I was adding sugar so I switched to the Honeynut Cheerios. No need to add sugar to it. I did change from 2% milk to skim milk and after the first couple weeks no longer can even tell the difference. I was amazed after just three months how much it lowered my cholesterol.

Just one bowl. I tried the regular Cheerios for the first box and found I was adding sugar so I switched to the Honeynut Cheerios. No need to add sugar to it. I did change from 2% milk to skim milk and after the first couple weeks no longer can even tell the difference. I was amazed after just three months how much it lowered my cholesterol.

Thats great, I wander if the Milk had anything to do with the Lower Numbers as well.........I don't like Milk, I would perfer to eat it like Pop Corn. Pour it in a Bowl or a Baggy and just scoop it out by the Hand Full.

I think there's a small bit of confusion about the topic. Here is a post from a member of "corner-carvers" who has some insight into these matters.....

Wow, a topic I can bring the tech to. I've spent the better part of 20 years working in pharmaceutical/biotech, the first half in the Quality organization having way too much interaction with the FDA.

They aren't declaring Cheerios a drug, they're saying that the labeling on Cheerios is claiming it is a drug (as defined by the CFR):

• "you can Lower Your Cholesterol 4% in 6 weeks" "

• "Did you know that in just 6 weeks Cheerios can reduce bad cholesterol by an average of 4 percent? Cheerios is ... clinically proven to lower cholesterol. A clinical study showed that eating two 1 1/2 cup servings daily of Cheerios cereal reduced bad cholesterol when eaten as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol."

In order to make those types of claims, you have to file with the FDA and have them review and approve it. (The claims must be supported by a ton of clinical trial data.) General Mills didn't, hence the Warning Letter. This is quite often seen with supplements. One of my old girlfriends was into Noni Juice, and showed me an advertisement where one distributor claimed it would cure cancer. They'd received several Warning Letters and were eventually shut down by the FDA.

In this case, all that will happen is that General Mills will change the wording on the box, and maybe pay a fine.

Chuck

....seems the ruling is related to the "Truth in Advertising" type of issues. What IS General Mills claiming it's product to be?

Thats great, I wander if the Milk had anything to do with the Lower Numbers as well.........I don't like Milk, I would perfer to eat it like Pop Corn. Pour it in a Bowl or a Baggy and just scoop it out by the Hand Full.

its even healthier without the milk.......

I think there's a small bit of confusion about the topic. Here is a post from a member of "corner-carvers" who has some insight into these matters.....

Wow, a topic I can bring the tech to. I've spent the better part of 20 years working in pharmaceutical/biotech, the first half in the Quality organization having way too much interaction with the FDA.

They aren't declaring Cheerios a drug, they're saying that the labeling on Cheerios is claiming it is a drug (as defined by the CFR):

• "Did you know that in just 6 weeks Cheerios can reduce bad cholesterol by an average of 4 percent? Cheerios is ... clinically proven to lower cholesterol. A clinical study showed that eating two 1 1/2 cup servings daily of Cheerios cereal reduced bad cholesterol when eaten as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol."

In order to make those types of claims, you have to file with the FDA and have them review and approve it. (The claims must be supported by a ton of clinical trial data.) General Mills didn't, hence the Warning Letter. This is quite often seen with supplements. One of my old girlfriends was into Noni Juice, and showed me an advertisement where one distributor claimed it would cure cancer. They'd received several Warning Letters and were eventually shut down by the FDA.

In this case, all that will happen is that General Mills will change the wording on the box, and maybe pay a fine.

Chuck

....seems the ruling is related to the "Truth in Advertising" type of issues. What IS General Mills claiming it's product to be?

EXACTLY. The FDA isn't calling it a drug. Genereal Mills is by making these claims. In order to make these claims, you need to follow processes that have been established for years.

Nothing to see here...move along...

Chuck

OK....how about, instead of saying "Did you know....." they say "It has been known to........" will that work?

Chuck

Why don't they just say eat this :censored: and you'll live longer and have a lower cholesterol..... :hysterical:

Last time I looked at a box of Cheerios it claimed to be a cereal, not a drug. It is a "side effect" of eating this cereal that may reduce cholesterol.

Bananas may reduce diarrhea, but that doesn't make them a drug :banvictory: :bandance: It makes them a fruit that reduces diarrhea!

I am SOOO glad I have the Government to take care of me. What would I do without them sending cease and dissist letters to cereal makers. :shrug:

Last time I looked at a box of Cheerios it claimed to be a cereal, not a drug. It is a "side effect" of eating this cereal that may reduce cholesterol.

Bananas may reduce diarrhea, but that doesn't make them a drug :banvictory: :bandance: It makes them a fruit that reduces diarrhea!

I am SOOO glad I have the Government to take care of me. What would I do without them sending cease and dissist letters to cereal makers. :shrug:

Now we have a legitimate discussion on the topic................ :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

:lurk:

OMG......I hope they don't check out my Capt'n Crunch with Crunch Berries.

Separate the Crunch Berries, put them over a scoop of vanilla Ice Cream, liberally drizzle Cherry Herring over the Berries and Ice Cream, and enjoy.

You get a red tongue and a decent buzz! :runaway:

(But don't tell the Feds)

• 2 weeks later...

Found this tonight on web.

Experience the

Natural Power of Oats

Cheerios® Cereal is Naturally Powered by Oats

From the first delicious spoonful, the power of nature is working for you. Every "O" is made with 100% natural whole grain oats and no other grain is better at lowering cholesterol. So go ahead, enjoy with a happy heart.

How Oats Work

Oats contain soluble fiber that can help soak up some cholesterol. Too much cholesterol can build up in your arteries and put you at risk for heart disease. Think of oats as tiny sponges that can help soak up some cholesterol and naturally remove it from your body.

The soluble fiber in oats binds some of the cholesterol in your digestive tract. This cholesterol is "trapped" and some of it is removed from your body naturally. Oats contain more soluble fiber than whole wheat, rice or corn. In addition to soluble fiber, oats contain vitamins, minerals and unique antioxidants, which help make oats healthy.

This site uses Adobe Flash 9. Please download it here.We believe in real, simple food. That's why we make Cheerios with...

100% natural whole grain oats 1 gram of sugar no artificial colors or flavors Three grams of soluble fiber daily from whole grain oat foods, like Cheerios cereal, in a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol, may reduce the risk of heart disease. Cheerios cereal provides 1 gram per serving.

Cheerios.com | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

©2009 General Mills

:happy feet:

I can now honestly say that YES, Cheerios IS a Drug......... I tried "Honeynut Cheerieos and now I am Hooked on them............. What will my Medical Plan Prescribe for me to ween me off of them???????????

I'm scared.......what do I do............ :runaway:

Archived