TEAM SHELBY FORUM

car enthusiast killed

This was about 20 miles north of where I live.

5:42 PM EDT, May 10, 2009

A horrific scene for those at a classic car show Sunday afternoon in Luzerne County. They watched a deadly crash right in front of them. An antique pulling into the show was rear-ended and burst into flames, killing the driver inside.

Witnesses said the flames were so intense that there was nothing they could do to help the man trapped inside.

A classic car show turned deadly in Ashley on the road between Wilkes-Barre and Mountain Top.

Witnesses said the driver of an antique car was turning into the show held at Bentley's off Route 309 when he was rear-ened by a sports utility vehicle. The car burst into flames. Witnesses tried to save the man, but were unable to.

"Just chaos. Everybody was running over to the blue Nova to help him out. It was just up in flames. Everybody was just running over trying to rip the door open," said Scott Price of Wilkes-Barre.

"I ran with the fire extinguisher and I tried to put the flames out, but I couldn't control the flames. The car was on too much fire," said Mike Mundy of Plymouth.

Witnesses said the man was going to the car show . Many people there saw it all happen.

"They were in the parking lot watching him pull in and they saw the entire thing, from when he was pulling in like a normal car all the way up to the accident and the flames and everything like that." said Price.

Many car enthusiasts said there is a lot of camaraderie at shows like the one in Ashley. They said the crash hit home.

"It really affected me because it's one of our own. That's what was going through my mind," said Mundy.

Police have not yet released the name of the victim. There is no word on the condition of the driver of the SUV.

crash.jpg

I have seen several Fender Benders while at a Local Show but NOTHING like that. Mostly people not thinking and slowing down to check out the cars and being rearended because some one else was checking out the Cars and did NOT slow down.

This does hit home. This person was one of us, no not a TS member or a Mustang owner but a person just as passionate about his Nova as we are about our Mustangs.

God bless him and his family

What a terrible thing to happen to one of us car guys. I know we are all cautious to a fault , no matter what we drive. Lets hope the SUV drives wasn't on the phone or texting like so many inattentive drivers are now days.

This does hit home. This person was one of us, no not a TS member or a Mustang owner but a person just as passionate about his Nova as we are about our Mustangs.

God bless him and his family

May God have mercy on his soul, Amen.

Archived