TEAM SHELBY FORUM

YOU HAVE $1500 ready for mods ..

1badsho

I can't keep up...we have roller boy, acorn boy, sheep boy, chrome-strut-tower-nut boy, English boy...geesh this is confusing. It's hard enough learning everyone's real first name...the only one I know for sure is RUF=Bryan...oh yeah, and CWHR = Rodney, oh, and the easy ones...svttim = Tim and Rob = Rob :hysterical:

I know there's a Dan, a Kirk, a Bob, but can't accurately map their screen name to their real name. Then I get confused between fastbackman and 69fastback, scgt500 and ebonyscgt500, and so on.

Of course, confusion is one of my strong points. :headspin:

I can't keep up...we have roller boy, acorn boy, sheep boy, chrome-strut-tower-nut boy, English boy...geesh this is confusing. It's hard enough learning everyone's real first name...the only one I know for sure is RUF=Bryan...oh yeah, and CWHR = Rodney, oh, and the easy ones...svttim = Tim and Rob = Rob :hysterical:

I know there's a Dan, a Kirk, a Bob, but can't accurately map their screen name to their real name. Then I get confused between fastbackman and 69fastback, scgt500 and ebonyscgt500, and so on.

Of course, confusion is one of my strong points. :headspin:

Take note:

Just remember scgt500 = Billy Bob and scgt500 co-pilot = Missy.

I'll have my FRPP Bolra's next week.. I've already done a VMP tune.. waiting for a JLT CAI along with alot of other folks on here. I will do a launch sound clip of the new muffs.My mod for $1500 are

1. VMP tune $450

2. Borla $400

3. JLT CAI $450

The 373's will be my final mod.. Should run 11's in the 1/4 mile :shift:

Eh Captain, Better go with the 4.10's especially if you are someday planning to go with 28" slicks in back!!

Also, would you do a drive by wide open in 4th gear at about 130 for us please?? PLEASE!!!!

I SAID PLLLLLLLLEASE!!!!!!

I can't keep up...we have roller boy, acorn boy, sheep boy, chrome-strut-tower-nut boy, English boy...geesh this is confusing.

You Forgot DOODOO BOY!

410's will take away too much top end.. I had 373's on a 68 Z28DZ.. They were awesome.. gonna go that route.. Tell me how to get a sound clip doing 130? that would be cool

410's will take away too much top end.. I had 373's on a 68 Z28DZ.. They were awesome.. gonna go that route.. Tell me how to get a sound clip doing 130? that would be cool

What was the overdrive ratio for 5th and 6th gears on a 68 Z28? I had 4:10's in my 96 Cobra with an s-trim and with the overdrive trans, it was great. Now I've got an extra overdrive gear and taller tires. I'll put 4:10's in soon.

What was the overdrive ratio for 5th and 6th gears on a 68 Z28? I had 4:10's in my 96 Cobra with an s-trim and with the overdrive trans, it was great. Now I've got an extra overdrive gear and taller tires. I'll put 4:10's in soon.

+1. According to my math:

GT500 stock with the 3.31 gears, cruise RPM at 65 MPH = 1660

with 3.73 gear, cruise RPM at 65 MPH = 1871

with 4.10 gear, cruise RPM at 65 MPH = 2057 RPM

These may be off a few RPM, as I assumed a tire diameter of 27". Can anyone verify that the RPM at 65 MPH in 6th? Is 1660 correct?

If yes, then my math is verified. From there, drive your GT500 at 2057 RPM in 6th gear. This is how it would feel (from an engine sound standpoint) if you were going 65 MPH with a 4.10 gear. Be careful...doing this will obviously put you over the 65 MPH speed limit. This is a good way to check whether exhaust noise will be intrusive at a particular RPM and whether the gear will "take away too much top end".

I would think that a 4.10 is not too low of a gear, but I'll do the above test after getting my car to be sure. If you're really torn between a 3.73 and a 4.10, there are other companies besides Ford that make a 3.90 gear.

Dave

Granted it was my first ever trip to a 1/4 mile track and I'm a lousy driver, but yesterday showed me that 500hp is way too much power for way too little traction. If you want to run 1/4's and you only have $1500 to spend; then buy new wheels and slicks (DR's whatever) and UCA's. If there's any $ left over, then buy the gears. Man, I was staring at the wall after power shifting into 2nd. :baby:

Granted it was my first ever trip to a 1/4 mile track and I'm a lousy driver, but yesterday showed me that 500hp is way too much power for way too little traction. If you want to run 1/4's and you only have $1500 to spend; then buy new wheels and slicks (DR's whatever) and UCA's. If there's any $ left over, then buy the gears. Man, I was staring at the wall after power shifting into 2nd. :baby:

You power shifted on your first try at a drag strip? Wow....that's dangerous.

Dave

No such thing as 5th and 6th on the 68 Z28.. I asked Justin at VMP how much top end speed would be lost witht the 373's. Justin said I wouldn't notice much loss at top end speed

My plan...

JLT CAI

Justin's tune (VMP)

Borla/FRPP axle-backs

Already got the tune.. Ordered the Borla axle back.. Just waiting for JLT.. Same page as you..

I think these are the best mods along with 373's.. Justin say his tune has adjustment for speedo for 373's as well :hyper: :headspin:

You power shifted on your first try at a drag strip? Wow....that's dangerous.

Dave

It was the 2nd run :blink: First time down was pretty uneventful (if a bit slow). So I decided to see how hard I could push it...and...well :ohsnap:

Fastbackman will have pictures & maybe a video later. We got to line up on our first pass. I'll let him finish the story.

But back to the topic; until I can get the power I have to the ground, there's no reason to add more! :idea:

It was the 2nd run :blink: First time down was pretty uneventful (if a bit slow). So I decided to see how hard I could push it...and...well :ohsnap:

Fastbackman will have pictures & maybe a video later. We got to line up on our first pass. I'll let him finish the story.

But back to the topic; until I can get the power I have to the ground, there's no reason to add more! :idea:

Sprint200,

You be careful with that car. You know it it what keeps me going.

No such thing as 5th and 6th on the 68 Z28.. I asked Justin at VMP how much top end speed would be lost witht the 373's. Justin said I wouldn't notice much loss at top end speed

Already got the tune.. Ordered the Borla axle back.. Just waiting for JLT.. Same page as you..

I think these are the best mods along with 373's.. Justin say his tune has adjustment for speedo for 373's as well :hyper: :headspin:

Bob,

That was my point. With overdrive I think you would be ok, but I just got back from brenspeed and with a tune and JLT intake, I've got 495 rwhp and I am rethinking the 4:10's. This thing is REALLY a lot faster now and I may use the 3:73 gear. I was a little dissapointed in the performance of this car when I got it in August, but after the tune and intake it is more than I expected.

Ok ... In reading everyones comments .... we all agree with :

tune

CAI

and prob axel back.

The tune and CAI is a sure thing .. the axel back exhaust .. well i need to hear someone s car ..drive it to be sure .. i am that picky esp since i have a hearing loss to a point no wise cracks pls ! )

But the one thing I keep hearing is that the stock tires arent meaty enough for the current hp ... forget about the wheel hop.

Whats the widest tire you can stick on the stock rim and are there any tires that grip better than whats on the car now ?

One thing I dont want to do is to make this a fire breathing dragon thats rough as hell to drive. I plan to drive this alot .. to work and maybe on some nice long trips ie rear suspension mods and or eibachs ..

I think Eibachs would make the car sit alot better and I dont know at what cost if any. All the other cars I have had with Eibachs ( mostly SHO's ) ran fine with them.

dond

Bob,

That was my point. With overdrive I think you would be ok, but I just got back from brenspeed and with a tune and JLT intake, I've got 495 rwhp and I am rethinking the 4:10's. This thing is REALLY a lot faster now and I may use the 3:73 gear. I was a little dissapointed in the performance of this car when I got it in August, but after the tune and intake it is more than I expected.

Ok.. I just ordered 373's today.. Going to have them put in with the FRPP Borla's when I get them.. I personally think you would be happy with the 373's having raced 411's back in the day.. I think they're more practicle but maybe I'm just too old school.. I just remember how limited 411's were. But your point is well taken.. Just not used to the overdrive thing..After looking at the Hennesey 07 GT500 stats it's pulling 3.7seconds 0-60, and 11.7 1/4 mile with 373's..

Good enough for me..

620 HP 2007 Shelby GT500 KR600 KING OF THE ROAD

Here' the Hennesey link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...4953&rd=1,1

Listen to the man. He's right. If you plan on any drag racing, you need to improve traction before throwing more horsepower at it.

drag radials and rims ~ $450

Gears installed $400

Controls arms (mainly uppers) haven't priced yet.

If there is any leftover, then tune and CAI in that order.

I wanted a tune and CAI bad. Neither I or Jeff(sprint200) had ever been to a drag strip before. Now I know where the priorities lay. Eliminate wheelspin and wheelhop before throwing more horsepower to it. After I get timeslips scanned and pictures resized and videos uploaded, I'll start a seperate thread with all the details. Hopefully I can do that soon, but no promises as I just got in from a weekend out of state. I had a blast in my seven passes and I think Jeff had a good time too. I had a great time meeting him and his family and getting to see his beautiful grabber orange Shelby. We also had a blue/white Shelby show up at the drag strip too. He was not a member of this site and he didn't race his car while he was there. One guy with a '06 GT loaned my his drag radials for three passes and it made a world of difference. My best time on street tires was in my first pass of the day. That was when I ran Jeff's Shelby. I ran a 13.147 at 110.95. That was with a pathetic .983 reaction time and a dismal 2.335 60 ft. time. With the drag radials I had a best of 12.721 @ 106.27. On that time I had a .088 reaction time and a 1.815 60ft. time. Neither one of us drove well enough to do the car justice, but it's new to us and I expect to get much better. First I have to come up with money for drag radials, gears and suspension mods. Man it felt great with those drag radials when that thing hooked up though. Could have done better, but I wasn't even smart enough to do a decent burnout. :hysterical:

Ok ... In reading everyones comments .... we all agree with :

tune

CAI

and prob axel back.

The tune and CAI is a sure thing .. the axel back exhaust .. well i need to hear someone s car ..drive it to be sure .. i am that picky esp since i have a hearing loss to a point no wise cracks pls ! )

But the one thing I keep hearing is that the stock tires arent meaty enough for the current hp ... forget about the wheel hop.

Whats the widest tire you can stick on the stock rim and are there any tires that grip better than whats on the car now ?

One thing I dont want to do is to make this a fire breathing dragon thats rough as hell to drive. I plan to drive this alot .. to work and maybe on some nice long trips ie rear suspension mods and or eibachs ..

I think Eibachs would make the car sit alot better and I dont know at what cost if any. All the other cars I have had with Eibachs ( mostly SHO's ) ran fine with them.

dond

If you are considering axle backs, then you are either doing it for sound only or planning on changing to headers and a full exhaust replacement. There is very little power gained from simply an axle-back replacement.

Dave

If you are considering axle backs, then you are either doing it for sound only or planning on changing to headers and a full exhaust replacement. There is very little power gained from simply an axle-back replacement.

Dave

I think most of us know that.. the tune/cai and 373's will be the best performance upgrades.. Gotta have muscle sound to make it sound bad ass too!

I think most of us know that.. the tune/cai and 373's will be the best performance upgrades.. Gotta have muscle sound to make it sound bad ass too!

By the way.. how did you come up with those numbers for gear/rpm's?? Thats pretty impressive.. Thanks that helps give some insight.

By the way.. how did you come up with those numbers for gear/rpm's?? Thats pretty impressive.. Thanks that helps give some insight.

The math is pretty easy, I have a degree in Engineering and this is discussed in a class called Kinematics...the study of moving objects and linkages.

Dave

Dave

Dave .... exactly .... sound only. In reading the posts your right .. very little gain in HP.

I will prob change out the exhaust last .. if i do it at all since i do have a hearing loss. SLight as it is .. Try to keep the interior cabin as quite as possible

On 373's .... whats the best source to get these from ?

dond

On 373's .... whats the best source to get these from ?

dond

Depends on who you ask. Most people on this site say only get the FRPP gears, and they can be had from numerous sources...do a google or look through one of the Mustang magazines at WalMart. The prices do vary...especially for the 4.10 gears. The 3.73s are less costly...I've seen them as low as $170.

There are other manufacturers of gearsets also. As a matter of fact, for those who think 3.73 is not enough, but 4.10 may be too much, there is a company that makes a 3.90 gear. I think I have their name at home, not at my fingertips.

Good luck.

Dave

Archived