TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Economy Looking Up?

I read where consumer spending is up slightly, home sales are up, unemployment is slightly less. I am seeing bank ads again to come in and borrow. Here in northern Utah, our unemployment is 4%. Utah's tourism. our largest "industry", is up 27% in the last 4 years. :happy feet: My personal investments have paid dividends of over 10K since January. My stocks are just 8K short of last October. :happy feet:

I'm doing my part to help out the economy again this year. I am writing checks to the IRS and the State of Utah for my taxes tonight. :salute: Unlike Obama's buddies, I am paying what I owe on time and in full. :yup:

I also booked 2 rooms in Vegas for a week in June. :happy feet: We're taking our youngest daughter and boyfriend with us. They both work hard and need a break. We haven't been in the Vegas heat for several years as the las Vegas national drags :shift: are always in late Oct. or early Nov. We need to try out the floating bars and the poolside cabanas :tequila: Naturally my 3rd trip in 8 months to SAI is in order. The only drawback is we're leaving the SGT home :cry: and renting an SUV because of the luggage. We are doing a quickie two night trip over Halloween for the Nationals this year, too :drool:

Plus, I booked the weekend package for the Rainbow Cruise is Wendover, NV for Father's Day. This WILL be a SGT trip :shift::drool:

However, The Almighty has spoken today :hide: . He said not to be fooled by signs that things are getting a little better. :headscratch: It seems to me every time He comes out and makes a speech, it scares people in to believing the end is near and we had better :surrender:

How about we turn off the TV and go out and do things we enjoy instead?? :headscratch:

I read where consumer spending is up slightly, home sales are up, unemployment is slightly less. I am seeing bank ads again to come in and borrow. Here in northern Utah, our unemployment is 4%. Utah's tourism. our largest "industry", is up 27% in the last 4 years. :happy feet: My personal investments have paid dividends of over 10K since January. My stocks are just 8K short of last October. :happy feet:

I'm doing my part to help out the economy again this year. I am writing checks to the IRS and the State of Utah for my taxes tonight. :salute: Unlike Obama's buddies, I am paying what I owe on time and in full. :yup:

I also booked 2 rooms in Vegas for a week in June. :happy feet: We're taking our youngest daughter and boyfriend with us. They both work hard and need a break. We haven't been in the Vegas heat for several years as the las Vegas national drags :shift: are always in late Oct. or early Nov. We need to try out the floating bars and the poolside cabanas :tequila: Naturally my 3rd trip in 8 months to SAI is in order. The only drawback is we're leaving the SGT home :cry: and renting an SUV because of the luggage. We are doing a quickie two night trip over Halloween for the Nationals this year, too :drool:

Plus, I booked the weekend package for the Rainbow Cruise is Wendover, NV for Father's Day. This WILL be a SGT trip :shift::drool:

However, The Almighty has spoken today :hide: . He said not to be fooled by signs that things are getting a little better. :headscratch: It seems to me every time He comes out and makes a speech, it scares people in to believing the end is near and we had better :surrender:

How about we turn off the TV and go out and do things we enjoy instead?? :headscratch:

Well, I'm glad to hear the President's programs have already done so well for you!

BTW:

Utah unemployment rate hits five year high

Reported by: Brian Carlson

Email: brian.carlson@abc4.com

Last Update: 3/25/09

Unemployment line at Utah's Department of Workforce Services (ABC 4 News)

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC 4 News) - The struggling economy is creating a troubling milestone in Utah. The state unemployment rate is now reaching a five year high.

The latest report by the Utah Department of Workforce Services shows last month Utah's average unemployment rate rose to 5.1%. It's the first time in five years Utah has been over 5%.

The increase means as a state Utah lost roughly 26,000 jobs in 2008. If you compare that to the country's unemployment rate, Utah is still below the national average of 8.1%.

But that's still a tough pill to swallow if you're one of the many Utahns looking for work. Right now there are about 70,000 people in Utah who are out of a job.

Some places are getting hit harder than others. Juab, Washington and Wayne Counties all have an unemployment rate over 7%. San Juan County has an 8.4% unemployment rate.

Copyright 2009 Newport Television LLC All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Plus, I booked the weekend package for the Rainbow Cruise is Wendover, NV for Father's Day. This WILL be a SGT trip :shift:

Are we on the same planet?? :headscratch:

The economy here in Oregon is crap.

We now have the highest unemployment rate in the country. 12.2%.

My 401 K just lost another 6.3% this last quarter.

Construction is down. My job is at risk.

IT SUCKS. :banghead:

I don't get it.

My wifes company is having to turn down work because they can't do it all. It will probably be a record year for them.

Here were were booming until our orders - mostly from the north - dried up. We are still on 4 day weeks but now 12 hour days are being scheduled (yeah I know, very stupid management).

My mom who works for the Dept of Human Services is swamped with "claims", mostly from entitlists who demand to get something for nothing and illegals with false paperwork. She even had one woman come in for food stamps who was bragging about how much better everything is since Obama got elected!

:headscratch:

In spirit with our new government, you must start sharing your wealth with us that are less fortunate lol

My business has seen a slight uptick in sales last month, I'm not doing cartwheels, but its better than another drop. It's a good sign.

Everyones 401K should be improving, the market has really come back a lot the question is will it stay better?

Its going to get better. Keep the faith.

KC666

:rockon:

Well, I'm glad to hear the President's programs have already done so well for you!

BTW:

Utah unemployment rate hits five year high

Reported by: Brian Carlson

Email: brian.carlson@abc4.com

Last Update: 3/25/09

Unemployment line at Utah's Department of Workforce Services (ABC 4 News)

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC 4 News) - The struggling economy is creating a troubling milestone in Utah. The state unemployment rate is now reaching a five year high.

The latest report by the Utah Department of Workforce Services shows last month Utah's average unemployment rate rose to 5.1%. It's the first time in five years Utah has been over 5%.

The increase means as a state Utah lost roughly 26,000 jobs in 2008. If you compare that to the country's unemployment rate, Utah is still below the national average of 8.1%.

But that's still a tough pill to swallow if you're one of the many Utahns looking for work. Right now there are about 70,000 people in Utah who are out of a job.

Some places are getting hit harder than others. Juab, Washington and Wayne Counties all have an unemployment rate over 7%. San Juan County has an 8.4% unemployment rate.

Copyright 2009 Newport Television LLC All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

True, but we are always much lower that the national average.

Erik

I don't get it.

My wifes company is having to turn down work because they can't do it all. It will probably be a record year for them.

Here were were booming until our orders - mostly from the north - dried up. We are still on 4 day weeks but now 12 hour days are being scheduled (yeah I know, very stupid management).

My mom who works for the Dept of Human Services is swamped with "claims", mostly from entitlists who demand to get something for nothing and illegals with false paperwork. She even had one woman come in for food stamps who was bragging about how much better everything is since Obama got elected!

:headscratch:

I don't get it either. I work at a major ski resort. Summer brings hikers, mtn bikers and outdoor fans. Our company has 488 high end condos and time share units that have been sold out or almost sold out (90%+ occupancy) all winter. We are taking bookings like crazy for the summer and next winter. We sold out for the Sundance Film Festival next January in a little over 15 minutes.

Our biggest problem is finding enough workers to fill any and every position you can imagine at a hotel/ timeshare. I am the purchasing agent and I had trouble recently filling a clerk/assistant position I created due our work load. Granted you won't get rich in most of our positions but you will have a full tiome job with advancement.

I'll bet the people your mom sees would get back to work if they knew they weren't going to get any of the tax dollars we all worked hard for, just becaue The Almighty promised them. :stirpot:

Are we on the same planet?? :headscratch:

You might have seen me refer to Utah as the Nation of Utah. I read this once in a book about a guy who walked all 50 states. He said after his trek there are really 49 states and the Nation of Utah or As I also refer to it, the Land of Zion.

I don't get it either. I work at a major ski resort. Summer brings hikers, mtn bikers and outdoor fans. Our company has 488 high end condos and time share units that have been sold out or almost sold out (90%+ occupancy) all winter. We are taking bookings like crazy for the summer and next winter. We sold out for the Sundance Film Festival next January in a little over 15 minutes.

Our biggest problem is finding enough workers to fill any and every position you can imagine at a hotel/ timeshare. I am the purchasing agent and I had trouble recently filling a clerk/assistant position I created due our work load. Granted you won't get rich in most of our positions but you will have a full tiome job with advancement.

I'll bet the people your mom sees would get back to work if they knew they weren't going to get any of the tax dollars we all worked hard for, just becaue The Almighty promised them. :stirpot:

It's said that people who have money will always have money...while not a truth the idea is that yes the economy is down but those that are in a position to rent those "high end condos" are STILL in a position to. The guys that NEVER could afford them, the ones working for the other guys company, are the ones that are really feeling the pinch and getting laid off.

You're also fortunate in that when times are bad people that can get away from it all...and in that sense I think you're sheltered which is a good thing!

I'm going to continue to be optomistic. The market is up 1000 points since last month. That's a good start. Now if it will keep climbing and we get some consumer confidence back it should turn around. All I can do is continue to go to work; do my job and hope my department isn't cut anymore. I'm just glad I still have a job. One thing is for sure. I'm not going to sit and complain about the economy. I know there's alot of other people out there who are worse off than me. I wish them all the best and I hope this turns around by mid summer like the talking heads on T.V. are predicting. My 2 cents.

Archived