TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Most Potent Defense Weapon Ever

I saw on TV, many Years ago, where some of those Planes are (or were) being used for Research since they were the ONLY Planes that could go fron One Side of the Planet (Total Day Light) to the other Side of the Planet (Total Darkness) in a matter of Hours.

I saw on TV, many Years ago, where some of those Planes are (or were) being used for Research since they were the ONLY Planes that could go fron One Side of the Planet (Total Day Light) to the other Side of the Planet (Total Darkness) in a matter of Hours.

Definately an awesome piece of equipment.

Hey thanks for sharing that was awesome!! WOW - one mile every 1.6 seconds...

Now... what mods are needed to get the Shelby to do that... :peelout::yup:

Attacting a bunch of Bungi Cords to the Front of your Shelby and to the back of that Plane........................... All I can say is......HOLD ON because the Take Off will be AWESOME............ for the First few seconds anyway, until the Bungi Cords do there thing and sling shoot you past the Plane never to be seen again....................... :hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2:

The bad thing is, I can picture it in my Head actaully happening........................... :hysterical:

Beautiful and informative. Trivia time. There was an offensive version of the SR-71. Does anyone know the designation without looking it up?

You some kinda game show host? :hysterical:

What do I win if I get it right? :happy feet:

Well done. That was the interceptor version armed with side winder missiles.

Huh, learn something new every day. I would have said the SR-27 was strictly recon. Why even experiment with an "offensive" type if they were so untouchable? There would be no need.

If you remember, we had a supersonic bomber project called "Valkerie". Many of the features from that design turned up in the Concorde. The Russians sensing a "bomber gap" announced plans for their high altitude supersonic bomber thus the YF -12A variant.

I am not sure about the order, however, because it has been widely rumored that the original funding to Lockheed came from the CIA which would not be interested in an interceptor.

The flash movie did have something very unusual in it. Look carefully at the first picture of it being refueled in air. There is an elongated stinger pod that I have never seen before. Wonder what was in that pod.........?

If you remember, we had a supersonic bomber project called "Valkerie". Many of the features from that design turned up in the Concorde. The Russians sensing a "bomber gap" announced plans for their high altitude supersonic bomber thus the YF -12A variant.

I am not sure about the order, however, because it has been widely rumored that the original funding to Lockheed came from the CIA which would not be interested in an interceptor.

The flash movie did have something very unusual in it. Look carefully at the first picture of it being refueled in air. There is an elongated stinger pod that I have never seen before. Wonder what was in that pod.........?

Lunch? :idea:

Seems we've been able to stay ahead of everyone. The F-22 seems to be quite the outfit, but not going get into that...

The pod, I would imagine, may have housed some type of ECM. At least that's what you would think. It appears that all the recon equipment was in the front of the plane. Anything in the rear would probably be counter-measure driven.

Could be. Rearward looking radar? Most threats would be coming from the rear as high and as fast as it flew.

I remember the reconnaissance flights over Nicaragua during the Sandinista government. They took off from Barksdale AFB near Shreveport probably and overflew us in Lafayette at supersonic speed. We always got a nice double boom a little after sun up. We guessed that made the tanker rendezvous over the Gulf of Mexico easier. They would overfly us again inbound about two hours later. We measured the distance and added some for the turn and bingo we got average speed of a little more than 1650 mph. Rumor was that several of the overflights were conducted at low altitudes to send a message that "we're watching".

In regards to the title of this post, I disagree. The Marine and his rifle has always been the best weapon the US has had and a lot more bang for the buck too. :happy feet:

You know, I was going to say it but...

Sempre Fi :-)

In regards to the title of this post, I disagree. The Marine and his rifle has always been the best weapon the US has had and a lot more bang for the buck too. :happy feet:

That's why I posted the SR-71 as the best defensive weapon ever. No argument here about a Marine and his rifle.

Jim

You know, I was going to say it but...

Sempre Fi :-)

Oorah!

That's why I posted the SR-71 as the best defensive weapon ever. No argument here about a Marine and his rifle.

Jim

Well, then I guess it depends on how you define "defensive". After all, we all fall under the Department of Defense. I don't remember the SR-71 defending a lot of terrain, equipment or people either but it did take some really cool pictures for intelligence purposes. :happy feet:

Oorah!

Well, then I guess it depends on how you define "defensive". After all, we all fall under the Department of Defense. I don't remember the SR-71 defending a lot of terrain, equipment or people either but it did take some really cool pictures for intelligence purposes. :happy feet:

You still getting underway tomorrow?

Archived