TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I have to choose one of my Business Ideas soon.

OK, I found a Place to Rent for a Business, it is Ideal for one of my Business Ideas and the Rent is just $495.00 a Month. Just trying to decide which Business I want to do. The Space is 1000 Square Foot, all Open with a Large Roll Up Door and a Steel Walk In Door. I have Five Business Ideas to consider (for the Shop):

<01> LABOR ONLY AUTO REPAIR:

I hire a few Mechanics to work on Peoples Vehicles where we Install the Parts supplied by the Owner. That way, I won’t have to deal with any Warranty stuff. The Shop would be open Weekday Evenings (5:30pm to 9:30pm) and Weekends (9:00am to 4:00pm) that way I can keep my State Job for the Steady Pay & Benefits and still catch the Local Cruise Inns. I can also Install Vinyl Graphics on Peoples Vehicles.

<02> PERFORMANCE PARTS CONSIGNMENT & PAWN:

I Sell Performance Parts on Consignment for people who do not need them anymore, also hard to find Classic Parks. I charge a set Fee for each item or take a percentage of the Sale Price, which ever is Greater. This one can be done with the “Labor Only Auto Repair.

<03> PRIVATE DANCER STUDIOS:

I Hire Exotic Dancers and............ No Longer need this Idea, Sold it to a Friend tonight....... :woohoo:

<04> THE B.Y.O.B. UNDERGROUND:

I Hire Exotic Dancers and........... No Longer need this Idea, Sold it to a Friend tonight....... :woohoo:

<05> SECOND TIME AROUND:

A Store where people can buy Like New Stuff such as Cloths, Furniture, Appliances, Electronics, Books, Tools, ETC…….

Two other Businesses that I would not mind doing and don’t need the Shop to do are……

<01> HAWK-EYE SURVEILLANCE:

I purchase a Non-Descript Car like a 2005 Ford Taurus Wagon (need the room) to do “For-Hire-Surveillance” for Businesses who think their Employees are Steeling from them and for People who want to know if their Spouse is Cheating on them, as well as other things.

<02> TO THE DAWGS SHUTTLE SERVICE:

I buy a late model 12 Passenger E250 Ford Van. For $15.00 a Person, I take them to the Dog Track. I go to the Wal-Mart on the West Side of Town (close to where I Live & Work) at 5:30pm and wait for those needing a Ride to the Track. They leave their Vehicle at Wal-Mart, Ride with Me to the Track and at 10PM I head back to Wal-Mart. I do this Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. If I don’t have any Plans on Saturdays, I can do a Trip to the Track then to. I take up to 10 People

I'd like it if someone would open a fully equipped shop where I could go in with my own parts and do all my own labor. I just pay for the time used. It might also be cool to have a resident expert to give you advice if you get in over your head. I'm sure the liability would be outrageous, but I get tired of laying on my garage floor. There's a place similar to this in Denver, but it's for oil changes only.

Great ideas but one that I know that was very reliable around military bases and colleges was something similar to your TO THE DAWGS SHUTTLE SERVICE but with fuel prices going up so must your prices...in Chicago its called the Jitney service where the new guys from bootcamp did not have a car or were not allowed to own a car just took the Jitney to the mall or wherever and for the colleges since out of staters may not have transportation again they all just took the jitney-no car, no insurance to worry about it was just go and it was great for going back to the bases after drinking so no one gets injured or DUI and was much faster than the bus....good luck!!!!

Great ideas but one that I know that was very reliable around military bases and colleges was something similar to your TO THE DAWGS SHUTTLE SERVICE but with fuel prices going up so must your prices...in Chicago its called the Jitney service where the new guys from bootcamp did not have a car or were not allowed to own a car just took the Jitney to the mall or wherever and for the colleges since out of staters may not have transportation again they all just took the jitney-no car, no insurance to worry about it was just go and it was great for going back to the bases after drinking so no one gets injured or DUI and was much faster than the bus....good luck!!!!

Why not just catch a cab or ride the bus?

I'd like it if someone would open a fully equipped shop where I could go in with my own parts and do all my own labor. I just pay for the time used. It might also be cool to have a resident expert to give you advice if you get in over your head. I'm sure the liability would be outrageous, but I get tired of laying on my garage floor. There's a place similar to this in Denver, but it's for oil changes only.

Hey, I thought about that idea also, on Camp Lejeune in NC they had something like that-fully equiped with lifts and full array of tools and even a CNC machine and that place was always packed and now in most residential communities with "ASSociations" you can't even perform oil changes in your driveway so what a better way to have a shop as such- you are right they charged by the hour like $20 and if you needed a lift it was a extra $5...well worth it in my opinion. You would need extra security though to make sure everyone that borrows a tool brings it back.

Why not just catch a cab or ride the bus?

Well, that was the case in Chicago but at times the snow was so heavy only the Jitneys were running and the cool thing was that the more people you had the cheaper the ride was compared to a cab. Plus most cab or bus services don't run all night depending where you're at.

Well, that was the case in Chicago but at times the snow was so heavy only the Jitneys were running and the cool thing was that the more people you had the cheaper the ride was compared to a cab. Plus most cab or bus services don't run all night depending where you're at.

Oh I see. That makes sense.

#1 Access to good mechanics that are trustworthy that work cheaply or on commission!! They would need their own tools!!

Owners are very picky about who work on their cars, can you please them all!!! not!! Repercussions!! LAWSUITS!!!!

Liability would eat you out of business without volume traffic! If someone got hurt!! LAWSUITS!!!

Advertising to get the word out- expensive!!

Mechanics would need their own liability ins. also!!

#2 Least risk! Not much capital investment but you need storage space(racks) for parts

Written contracts for each client to protect yourself! You might end up with a warehouse full of unsold items, then what!!

Again advertising would be costly trying to sell them-ebay,craigslist,newspapers etc.

#3-#4 Do you have approval of city council? They can and would shut you down fast, but if it did work then it might support your

surveillance/spy/private eye business (cheating husbands/mechanics!!)

Again Liability ins. your ladies may slip and fall off the poles- Lawsuits

I always heard that some/most Exotic Dancers are addicted to drugs-- Very bad for business!!!(pocketbook)

No advertising- Word of mouth!!!!

#1,2,3,4-- Does your contract for the property allow any of the above??

Would the wife/girlfriend approve of these activities?? Late nites with the ladies!! You will need Bouncers!!!

Also Location Location Location!!!

Not trying to discourage you!!! Good luck on your plans I hope it words out!! By the way I have no experience in any of these things just throwing out my thoughts!!! You have a lot of good ideas!!! IF it was Easy we would all do it!!

#1 Access to good mechanics that are trustworthy that work cheaply or on commission!! They would need their own tools!!

Owners are very picky about who work on their cars, can you please them all!!! not!! Repercussions!! LAWSUITS!!!!

Liability would eat you out of business without volume traffic! If someone got hurt!! LAWSUITS!!!

Advertising to get the word out- expensive!!

Mechanics would need their own liability ins. also!!

#2 Least risk! Not much capital investment but you need storage space(racks) for parts

Written contracts for each client to protect yourself! You might end up with a warehouse full of unsold items, then what!!

Again advertising would be costly trying to sell them-ebay,craigslist,newspapers etc.

#3-#4 Do you have approval of city council? They can and would shut you down fast, but if it did work then it might support your

surveillance/spy/private eye business (cheating husbands/mechanics!!)

Again Liability ins. your ladies may slip and fall off the poles- Lawsuits

I always heard that some/most Exotic Dancers are addicted to drugs-- Very bad for business!!!(pocketbook)

No advertising- Word of mouth!!!!

#1,2,3,4-- Does your contract for the property allow any of the above??

Would the wife/girlfriend approve of these activities?? Late nites with the ladies!! You will need Bouncers!!!

Also Location Location Location!!!

Not trying to discourage you!!! Good luck on your plans I hope it words out!! By the way I have no experience in any of these things just throwing out my thoughts!!! You have a lot of good ideas!!! IF it was Easy we would all do it!!

Yes, this Place allows for all of The Businesses BUT, the Exotic Business Ideas are now out, a Friend of mine liked them so much that he paid me for my Business Plans for them.

For the Lobor Only Shop, I have several Friends that are great Fully Certified Mechanics who are always looking for Side Work and can't wait for me to do this. Only 1 or 2 will be working any given Evening. Plus I can also do Business Plan Two on a small scale. But I still like the Shuttle Business Idea............ These are only a few of the Business Ideas that I have but they are the cheapest and easiest to get started.

I like pretzel's idea but with a floor drain and soft water so we can wash and wax our cars. The more anal one is in cleaning their car, the more time they pay for the space (you must have a max time for scheduling purposes). Oh, and you could also have a vending machine (or something similar) with popular, disposable cleaning products. You get the idea.

By the way, can we get a cut if you realize any of the proposed ideas by fellow members? Ya know, like you selling your stripper ideas to your buddy? J/K :hysterical

The guys from the military are talkin about auto hobby shops. I used them on the bases all the time while i was active duty. Everyone does thieir own work and pays for the stalls lifts disposals and so on. There were a few techs around for help but they had everything u needed to do anything on a car. Thats a hot ticket. Ill help u rn it! I need a fricken job lol!

I like pretzel's idea but with a floor drain and soft water so we can wash and wax our cars. The more anal one is in cleaning their car, the more time they pay for the space (you must have a max time for scheduling purposes). Oh, and you could also have a vending machine (or something similar) with popular, disposable cleaning products. You get the idea.

By the way, can we get a cut if you realize any of the proposed ideas by fellow members? Ya know, like you selling your stripper ideas to your buddy? J/K :hysterical

+1 This is a unique idea. I like it and I'd use one locally, if it were available. The rest of them? No. Not at all. Just my .02.

Ken

I Thought about this Idea to but to get a Place big enough is really expensive. I wouls want it big enough to have about 10 to 14 spaces for Vehicles inside with about 4 of those Spaces with a Lift.

Try em all Tes. :happy feet:

I plan to eventually. I also drew up two Business Plans for Two Restaruants, a Demolition Derby Business and a Road Racing Track Business, I even designed the Track.

I really need to start sleeping........................... :hysterical:

I have been kicking the following idea around for a while now. Someone mentioned it above

A do it yourself, indoor detail shop. You provide the space, electrical and water and compressed air for drying.

Customers provide their own detailing supplies.

Charge by the hour.

Provide enough space for 3 or 4 cars. Maybe 1 lift for the detail nuts that want to do the chassis or maybe remove their wheels.

No maintenance allowed.

Every customer must sign a release form so you would not be held liable for any injuries that amy occur.

I don't think anything bigger than a 4 bay garage would needed. If you alloted time by appointments, you could control how many people are utilizing the facility at one time.

I would love to have a place like this to go work on my car as well!

CC

I have been kicking the following idea around for a while now. Someone mentioned it above

A do it yourself, indoor detail shop. You provide the space, electrical and water and compressed air for drying.

Customers provide their own detailing supplies.

Charge by the hour.

Provide enough space for 3 or 4 cars. Maybe 1 lift for the detail nuts that want to do the chassis or maybe remove their wheels.

No maintenance allowed.

Every customer must sign a release form so you would not be held liable for any injuries that amy occur.

I don't think anything bigger than a 4 bay garage would needed. If you alloted time by appointments, you could control how many people are utilizing the facility at one time.

I have the Idea of a Specialy Mobile Detail where you do a major Concourse Show Winning Detail on Show Cars at the Major Car Shows.

I will just throw in my 2 cents for fun. I was a Honda tech before starting my auto repair business in 1992. I now have 18 years in and have had as many as 4 shops and 27 employee's. I currently have 1 shop with 5 employee's. I sold 2 and closed one.

Things very from state to state but the things required to be a legit business are close to the same.

You will need,

federal tax id #

state sales tax #

U.C. account #

Type of business, sole proprietor, S-corp,L.L.C.,L.L.P. C-corp, There are probably other ones out there now.

You will need some sort of liability coverage.

If you have employee's the government frowns on sub contracted technicians or any 1099 business you do unless they have their own business because of tax purposes.

You will need workmans compensation insurance for your employee's.

You will be required to pay half of your S.S. and medicare for your employee's

You will have to pay all unemployment which varies state to state. Mine is currently 5% of gross payroll.

Thinking about health insurance..........forget it!

Some states have personal property taxes, so you can pay for your equipment year after year even if it's paid for.

Buying or leasing a building? You will pay rent or mortagage payments. Depending on your lease you will probably have to pay some of the property taxes and if you own you will have to pay as well. You will also need insurance coverage either way. A lease building is more expensive, and you will want at least $1 million umbrella.

Now then you also will have some sort of heat or electric bills.

You will need to file for and pay for all your permits and licenses, they vary state by state. You will have to renew yearly.

Your employee's or customers will also take things from your business, sometimes theft, sometimes just because they think it is owed.

You will need to setup your business banking account. You may also need to setup a charge card system which they take 3% off the top of sales. Amex is higher. They will auto deduct from your bank account.

You should have a payroll service because the laws change so fast, I use Paychex but used to have ADP. You will need to pay them for the prep and tax filings.

Unless you are a trained accountant you will need one.

There are probably a 100 more things that I have not listed or vary by state, this is just the start.

When I first started in 1992 I owned 3 vintage Mopar's, one being a Hemi. Within the first year I had to sell all to pay taxes and fee's and overhead that I had no clue.

One thing I did learn after 18 years is you had better be extremely well funded, I was able to get lines of credit but only after being in business 7 or 8 years.

Good Luck, and it never hurts to dream. I have to say if I had to do over I would have stayed a tech since my house would now be paid for " I had to refinance after Sept 11th 2001 to keep things going" I would have had many nice cars just as I do now. The one thing I miss is having a life, I have worked 60 hours a week or more for 18 years with about 5 weeks of vacation in that time.

The guys from the military are talkin about auto hobby shops. I used them on the bases all the time while i was active duty. Everyone does thieir own work and pays for the stalls lifts disposals and so on. There were a few techs around for help but they had everything u needed to do anything on a car. Thats a hot ticket. Ill help u rn it! I need a fricken job lol!

+1 :happy feet: :happy feet: I like this idea alot. Back in the day when I was stationed at Holloman everybody used it, booked weeks in advance. Alot of people would like to do their own minor repairs, but have no place to do it. We even taught night classes for extra $$$ on autobody and I use to spray paint their cars for them after everyone finished doing minor repairs. Moochoo money. :spend::spend::spend:

I will just throw in my 2 cents for fun. I was a Honda tech before starting my auto repair business in 1992. I now have 18 years in and have had as many as 4 shops and 27 employee's. I currently have 1 shop with 5 employee's. I sold 2 and closed one.

Things very from state to state but the things required to be a legit business are close to the same.

You will need,

federal tax id #

state sales tax #

U.C. account #

Type of business, sole proprietor, S-corp,L.L.C.,L.L.P. C-corp, There are probably other ones out there now.

You will need some sort of liability coverage.

If you have employee's the government frowns on sub contracted technicians or any 1099 business you do unless they have their own business because of tax purposes.

You will need workmans compensation insurance for your employee's.

You will be required to pay half of your S.S. and medicare for your employee's

You will have to pay all unemployment which varies state to state. Mine is currently 5% of gross payroll.

Thinking about health insurance..........forget it!

Some states have personal property taxes, so you can pay for your equipment year after year even if it's paid for.

Buying or leasing a building? You will pay rent or mortagage payments. Depending on your lease you will probably have to pay some of the property taxes and if you own you will have to pay as well. You will also need insurance coverage either way. A lease building is more expensive, and you will want at least $1 million umbrella.

Now then you also will have some sort of heat or electric bills.

You will need to file for and pay for all your permits and licenses, they vary state by state. You will have to renew yearly.

Your employee's or customers will also take things from your business, sometimes theft, sometimes just because they think it is owed.

You will need to setup your business banking account. You may also need to setup a charge card system which they take 3% off the top of sales. Amex is higher. They will auto deduct from your bank account.

You should have a payroll service because the laws change so fast, I use Paychex but used to have ADP. You will need to pay them for the prep and tax filings.

Unless you are a trained accountant you will need one.

There are probably a 100 more things that I have not listed or vary by state, this is just the start.

When I first started in 1992 I owned 3 vintage Mopar's, one being a Hemi. Within the first year I had to sell all to pay taxes and fee's and overhead that I had no clue.

One thing I did learn after 18 years is you had better be extremely well funded, I was able to get lines of credit but only after being in business 7 or 8 years.

Good Luck, and it never hurts to dream. I have to say if I had to do over I would have stayed a tech since my house would now be paid for " I had to refinance after Sept 11th 2001 to keep things going" I would have had many nice cars just as I do now. The one thing I miss is having a life, I have worked 60 hours a week or more for 18 years with about 5 weeks of vacation in that time.

BUZZ KILLER :hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2:

J/K......... I am leaning more towards the "Second Time Around Outlet" or the "To The Dawgs" Service.

the Exotic Business Ideas are now out, a Friend of mine liked them so much that he paid me for my Business Plans for them.

How does selling somebody a business plan preclude YOU from starting the same type of business? Doesn't make sense. Why would he need a business plan to sell *ss? Pretty simple proposition you would think? :hysterical:

How does selling somebody a business plan preclude YOU from starting the same type of business? Doesn't make sense. Why would he need a business plan to sell *ss? Pretty simple proposition you would think? :hysterical:

Part of the Deal was that I would not compete. I only told him Part of it and he liked it it enough to want to know the rest and start up the Business. The Idea I have has not been done before anywhere around here and it is simple to do. He was surprised that know one has thought of it here.

Part of the Deal was that I would not compete. I only told him Part of it and he liked it it enough to want to know the rest and start up the Business. The Idea I have has not been done before anywhere around here and it is simple to do. He was surprised that know one has thought of it here.

I lived with a dancer from the "Mons Venus" (in Tampa) for a year. Whatever it is I'll bet I've thought of it! :hysterical:

Archived