TEAM SHELBY FORUM

"Great Recession"

Let's hope not :cry:

The current recession will last at least three years and possibly longer absent a revival in credit markets, according to investors who specialize in distressed debt and bankruptcy. "This is going to be a three- to four-year disaster," said Michael Psaros, managing partner at KPS Capital Partners, at a restructuring conference in New York. The United States is going through a "Great Recession," which will provide investors in distressed assets with unprecedented opportunities, he said.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Great-Recess...b-14337438.html

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The current recession will last at least three years and possibly longer absent a revival in credit markets, according to investors who specialize in distressed debt and bankruptcy. "This is going to be a three- to four-year disaster," said Michael Psaros, managing partner at KPS Capital Partners, at a restructuring conference in New York. The United States is going through a "Great Recession," which will provide investors in distressed assets with unprecedented opportunities, he said.

SPEND SPEND SPEND :spend:

Rather it be $1.00 or $100,000.00, SPEND, :spend:

Buy some shoes, cloths, a motorcycle, a car. Upgrade your car. Re-model your home. Take your family out to dinner, buy your sweetheart some thing special. Buy an ice cream cone. Buy a new hammer some lumber. If we stop spending we crash our economy even more. Saving is good and not over spending is good. But we can not halt all spending. Retailers small and large need your dollars, for their products or services and to keep their employees, WORKING. Down turns in our economy are good times to invest and purchase goods and services. Even though some business's are failing 95% are still solvent. 8% un-employment means 92% of us are still working. Think back to other down turns, and the great investment opportunities they were, in hind-sight. Don't miss the current opportunities.

:salute:

Buy some shoes, cloths, a motorcycle, a car. Upgrade your car. Re-model your home. Take your family out to dinner, buy your sweetheart some thing special. Buy an ice cream cone. Buy a new hammer some lumber. If we stop spending we crash our economy even more. Saving is good and not over spending is good. But we can not halt all spending. Retailers small and large need your dollars, for their products or services. Down turns in our economy are good times to invest and purchase goods and services. Even some business's are failing 95% are still solvent. 8% un-employment means 92% of us are still working. Think back to over down turns, and the great investment opportunities they were, in hind-sight. Don't miss the current opportunities.

YES....SPEND.

I am putting together several new Packages for Mustangs. Plus I have designed and produced 2 Point Bolt In Style Bars (Roll Bars) for the 2005 to Present Mustang & Shelby Coupes.

Buy some shoes, cloths, a motorcycle, a car. Upgrade your car. Re-model your home. Take your family out to dinner, buy your sweetheart some thing special. Buy an ice cream cone. Buy a new hammer some lumber. If we stop spending we crash our economy even more. Saving is good and not over spending is good. But we can not halt all spending. Retailers small and large need your dollars, for their products or services and to keep their employees, WORKING. Down turns in our economy are good times to invest and purchase goods and services. Even though some business's are failing 95% are still solvent. 8% un-employment means 92% of us are still working. Think back to over down turns, and the great investment opportunities they were, in hind-sight. Don't miss the current opportunities.

YES....SPEND.

I am putting together several new Packages for Mustangs. Plus I have designed and produced 2 Point Bolt In Style Bars (Roll Bars) for the 2005 to Present Mustang & Shelby Coupes.

I think we're actually in a DEpression now, but no one is using the D word yet. 600,000 people lost their jobs just last week alone!!!

Anyway, so far we are fortunate, still have jobs and are still spending to do our part! Although, we have cut back some like most people, which, under normal circumstances, would not be a bad thing!

...and this ridiculous excuse for a "stimulus" package sure as $h!t isn't going to help. Pathetic. I'm embarrassed for our federal government.

Bacon Hunt

AMEN to that. I don't know to many (or any for that mater) Businesses that buy from their Customers. They buy from other Businesses. I say, give the Money to the People in large enough amounts that they would want to spend it on stuff such as Cars, car Repairs, Housing, Home Repairs, Toys, Clothes, Electronics, and even starting a New Business. The Businesses will get the Money they way they should, from the People. Giving the Businesses large sums of Money and the People a few Dollars will not fix a DAMN thing.

David.

I think we're actually in a DEpression now, but no one is using the D word yet. 600,000 people lost their jobs just last week alone!!!

Just courious...... these giant Companies that are laying off thousands of People, are any of those Jobs over seas or are all of them here in the USA?

Just courious...... these giant Companies that are laying off thousands of People, are any of those Jobs over seas or are all of them here in the USA?

That's a good question - I don't know, but I hope its not only in the USA.

Great Posts. Well, our Government, is out of control, AGAIN, Stimulus Biill?? Stimulate what, special interest projects the Dem's have had on the back burner for 20 years??

So, all we can do, is OUR part. It is the 92% of the American people, who are still going to work that will get us out of this. Not Nancy Pelosi, living in a 10 MILLION Dollar home, demanding $200 million dollars for condoms, to save money on teenage pregnancy's. What?? Or Reed's garble, and on and on. It is now as it was with our parents, and their parents. Loose your job ,find another, no matter what it is. . No work in your town, drive or move to another town, another state. Don't live beyond your means , yet keep frequenting the Business's in your area or community. Do what is necessary to keep moving forward. No political garble, is better then doing for yourself.

How about a tax free weekend or week!

We have them in GA but its only on school stuff like cloths and computers. How about tax free on everything. Motorcycles, Cars, and Boats. Now if someone could buy a GT500 and not pay 7% tax that would STIMULATE the ecomony. But this would be good on all car and trucks or whatever big ticket item someone wanted to purchase. Most folks get a stimlus check the either put it in the bank or pay off a credit card!

MM

One of the Problems is people are scared to let go of any Money.

I have several Business Ideas that I was talking to Friends about recently and they kept saying to hold off till things get better. One is a Small Restaurant (an Italian Bistro), one is a Labor Only Mechanic Shop where the customer brings us the Parts to install on their Vehicle and I charge only $50.00 an Hour. A third is a small Shuttle Service, taking People to the Dog Track that is about 30 Miles away 3 Nights a Week and taking small Groups on Day Trips using a 12 Passenger Van. How is the Economy going to get better if everyone holds off?

How about a tax free weekend or week!

We have them in GA but its only on school stuff like cloths and computers. How about tax free on everything. Motorcycles, Cars, and Boats. Now if someone could buy a GT500 and not pay 7% tax that would STIMULATE the ecomony. But this would be good on all car and trucks or whatever big ticket item someone wanted to purchase. Most folks get a stimlus check the either put it in the bank or pay off a credit card!

MM

(NY):They do that twice a year here........on clothing under $150......never on big items like cars.

(NJ): Never any sales tax on clothes/shoes.

AMEN to that. I don't know to many (or any for that mater) Businesses that buy from their Customers. They buy from other Businesses. I say, give the Money to the People in large enough amounts that they would want to spend it on stuff such as Cars, car Repairs, Housing, Home Repairs, Toys, Clothes, Electronics, and even starting a New Business. The Businesses will get the Money they way they should, from the People. Giving the Businesses large sums of Money and the People a few Dollars will not fix a DAMN thing.

David.

Simply giving people money is not the answer. That money has to be borrowd to "give" it away, increasing dept and placing that dept on future generations, this just postpones the problem. Excessivve dept is one of the issues at the root of all this, so the D's answer is "why not just borrow more". For a meaningful recovery the federal goverment needs to provide incentives to those that create jobs. Handouts are only temporary, incentives create growth and will provide longer term solutions. Capitalism used to mean take risk, gain reward. Now it means whine hard and get rewarded. This country is headed into the toilet and will emerge from this administation as a 2nd rate power. China who will hold most of our dept will have more influance in the world than will we. This is the change we needed.

BTW, this spendulous bill will increase the size of goverment dramatically. We will all see a major change in regulation and oversight by beurocrats in our daily lives that we cannot comprehend today becuase we all beleive we live in a free sociaty. When a buracrat has the authority to override our personall physician as to what health care proceedures we may need, we are all in trouble. This is but the one of the "changes we need" encompassed in this pork laden, special interest satisfying bill.

Buy some shoes, cloths, a motorcycle, a car. Upgrade your car. Re-model your home. Take your family out to dinner, buy your sweetheart some thing special. Buy an ice cream cone. Buy a new hammer some lumber. If we stop spending we crash our economy even more. Saving is good and not over spending is good. But we can not halt all spending. Retailers small and large need your dollars, for their products or services and to keep their employees, WORKING. Down turns in our economy are good times to invest and purchase goods and services. Even though some business's are failing 95% are still solvent. 8% un-employment means 92% of us are still working. Think back to other down turns, and the great investment opportunities they were, in hind-sight. Don't miss the current opportunities.

very well said

Anyway, so far we are fortunate, still have jobs and are still spending to do our part! Although, we have cut back some like most people, which, under normal circumstances, would not be a bad thing!

DEpression requires a 10% decline in GDP. We're nowhere close to that. Economically speaking, this recession is not really that much worse than countless others we have been through, except that it is much longer lasting, and some high-profile sectors have taken disproportionally big hits. Most recessions are a "V" shape, meaning the decline is fast, followed by a quick rebound. This one is more "U" shaped, but with a flat bottom....\__/. The longer we're at the flat bottom, the longer companies have to buckle down. This results in more job losses that you normally would see. Many sectors of the economy are still doing OK. It's just a few that are really taking a hit, mostly due to poor management setting up a time bomb. My company is still seeing double digit growth.

DEpression requires a 10% decline in GDP. We're nowhere close to that. Economically speaking, this recession is not really that much worse than countless others we have been through, except that it is much longer lasting, and some high-profile sectors have taken disproportionally big hits. Most recessions are a "V" shape, meaning the decline is fast, followed by a quick rebound. This one is more "U" shaped, but with a flat bottom....\__/. The longer we're at the flat bottom, the longer companies have to buckle down. This results in more job losses that you normally would see. Many sectors of the economy are still doing OK. It's just a few that are really taking a hit, mostly due to poor management setting up a time bomb. My company is still seeing double digit growth.

I hope you're right, and I'm glad your company is one of the few that are seeing growth!

Simply giving people money is not the answer. That money has to be borrowd to "give" it away, increasing dept and placing that dept on future generations, this just postpones the problem. Excessivve dept is one of the issues at the root of all this, so the D's answer is "why not just borrow more". For a meaningful recovery the federal goverment needs to provide incentives to those that create jobs. Handouts are only temporary, incentives create growth and will provide longer term solutions. Capitalism used to mean take risk, gain reward. Now it means whine hard and get rewarded. This country is headed into the toilet and will emerge from this administation as a 2nd rate power. China who will hold most of our dept will have more influance in the world than will we. This is the change we needed.

So you are saying that all of the Companies that are getting this Money will be paying it back?

Guest markham51

The truth of the matter is simple. We are in a recession SO FAR. How long it will last...nobody can say for certain. What we call it makes little difference to the guy who can't feed his family or the child that doesn't get enough to eat.

We know how we got us into it....

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages...1877350,00.html

We just don't have consensus (or in some cases...any idea) on how to get out of it....

We do know the government can shorten the downturn by pumping money into the economy

We are arguing the (how much) and the (how to) inject the money. It amazes me how those that caused the problem are so confident that they know how to fix it! :doh:

Out of curiosity, I divided the 1,487,000,000,000 between the two big bills by 330,000,000 people in the United States, (legally), and that's only $4,506.06 per person to pay off this bill. Surely that's not a big deal to anyone?

:banghead:

Actually your population numbers are a bit high by 27 million but still . . . 4 in my family, so I owe nearly $20,000 for this bit of pork.

Archived