TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What's being unveiled tonight?

2006GT500

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to go out on a limb here fellas. Please don't shoot me, but think about it.... To upfit a SGT just doesn't make good business sense. The SGT was a VERY limited run. Out of the estimated numbers out there it's just not likely that it's fiscally feasible to upfit them. In short, there's not enough of us and therefore, not enough money in it. With the rather large production numbers of GT5's by far it makes more sense, for a couple of reasons. And please, don't take any offense. Before the poo-hit-the-fan in the economy people were dropping almost 75K in ADM's on these! If they were willing to drop that much, they're going to be willing for a 427, SS, DPSS package. We all know, things go where the money is. Now, I will say this, it says ALOT about SAI. In an economic downturn they've still stuck with the plan. Obviously, this package as well as the 427 was probalby long in the works, likely before the economic toilet got flushed, and SAI STUCK with the program. Granted, i'm assuming here, but would put a few bucks down that i'm right.

We may get a bone thrown our way here shortly on something (rear seat delete) "R" upgrades, etc. But it will be just that a bone. Some will sniff and leave it and others will devour it like it was their last supper. In short, I don't blame SAI for moving onto bigger and better thngs. Look, they gave us a VERY unique car and WE know it! We know, that we're set apart from the pack and have Shelby pixy dust all over our cars and no amount of upfitting would add to that in my opinion. I dunno about you, but i've taken my Shelby to MY personal next level and I don't need to be without my car for 3 months, paying $$$$'s of dollars to make it any MORE special.

here's a guess - the reveal is at Pomona, home of the NHRA Museum - they are introducing a NHRA legal Super Snake drag race car ^_^

OK, I called it :happy feet:

You want my stock picks or roulette numbers : :dance:

I'm going to go out on a limb here fellas. Please don't shoot me, but think about it.... To upfit a SGT just doesn't make good business sense. The SGT was a VERY limited run. Out of the estimated numbers out there it's just not likely that it's fiscally feasible to upfit them. In short, there's not enough of us and therefore, not enough money in it. With the rather large production numbers of GT5's by far it makes more sense, for a couple of reasons. And please, don't take any offense. Before the poo-hit-the-fan in the economy people were dropping almost 75K in ADM's on these! If they were willing to drop that much, they're going to be willing for a 427, SS, DPSS package. We all know, things go where the money is. Now, I will say this, it says ALOT about SAI. In an economic downturn they've still stuck with the plan. Obviously, this package as well as the 427 was probalby long in the works, likely before the economic toilet got flushed, and SAI STUCK with the program. Granted, i'm assuming here, but would put a few bucks down that i'm right.

We may get a bone thrown our way here shortly on something (rear seat delete) "R" upgrades, etc. But it will be just that a bone. Some will sniff and leave it and others will devour it like it was their last supper. In short, I don't blame SAI for moving onto bigger and better thngs. Look, they gave us a VERY unique car and WE know it! We know, that we're set apart from the pack and have Shelby pixy dust all over our cars and no amount of upfitting would add to that in my opinion. I dunno about you, but i've taken my Shelby to MY personal next level and I don't need to be without my car for 3 months, paying $$$$'s of dollars to make it any MORE special.

It's quite obvious that it's easier to make a quick buck off the same people willing to drop $30K+ on an SS upfit in the first place, than it is pandering to the people that wouldn't spend $40K on the entire car (assuming anyone buys into this package).

They might make as much money with these 100 drag packages and the 427's than they did selling thousands of SGT's, IMO.

I agree with your opinion of SAI's business model, for the most part. I don't agree that offering an upfit for the SGT doesn't make good, long term business sense. Their offerings don't seem very diversified these days. With this thing's announcement, the SGTR's recent debut, the 427 and so on, there is a very clear pattern of extremely expensive Mustang "packages" being offered at extremely limited runs (with very little meat added to the ponies, IMO). $$$ for low #'s. That's it. Is that sustainable?

Ken

It will be interesting to see who on the forum actually buys and races one of these Prudhomme models (along w/ the e.t.'s). For $100K plus the car, however, its really reserved for the super-rich and not your typical, local drag race lover.

That is so True. For the extra Money for Up Fitting an SGT for a few extra HP, you could have baught a S GT 500 and have a LOT more HP.

David.

It will be interesting to see who on the forum actually buys and races one of these Prudhomme models (along w/ the e.t.'s). For $100K plus the car, however, its really reserved for the super-rich and not your typical, local drag race lover.

I see a lot of Corporate Ownerships in the Future, like the good ol'e Days when individual Ford Dealers sponsored Drag Cars.

At $100,000 to upfit the GT500 and with only 100 made that equels 10 million gross for only 100 cars. Its simply amazing; Shelby is a perfect business model to follow. I am sure these packages will all be sold within a couple months. By the response of others it sounds like we all hoped it was going to be something more obtainable and some of us including myself were hoping it would be a special package for the SGT's but in all out reality it was something most of us can only dream of owning thus keeping the Shelby Legend even more alive because we all want things we can not have. Anyways I love the car and can only wish I had saved a little more to get this Elite Car. I know if any of us are lucky enough to actually see one in real life we will be OOHHING and AAAUUHHHing over it.

Sorry, I'm probably in the minority here, but this does nothing for me. I stayed up to see the reveal and the only thoughts that came to mind was "brand dilution" and "unobtainable". I"m a big Shelby/SAI fan but am starting to get concerned they are losing touch with the masses. I hope I'm wrong.

Sorry, I'm probably in the minority here, but this does nothing for me. I stayed up to see the reveal and the only thoughts that came to mind was "brand dilution" and "unobtainable". I"m a big Shelby/SAI fan but am starting to get concerned they are losing touch with the masses. I hope I'm wrong.

Thats a fair conversation to have. Im not sure Shelby has ever been for the Masses per sey. A question better left to Amy

+1

Guest markham51

+1.

Hot looking car though!

When I first saw it I was thinking "KITT Attack Mode?" I'm just sayin.....

Do you really think that this is just a coincidence? Um.... I think not. Look at the grille's, three barrels on the hood, stance, etc. Looks like they were hinting on this for a while.

Thanks. This is the only link I could get to work, too. Awesome car :drool: for somebody, just not this poor guy. Buying my new SGT in 2007 was a stretch.

I had commented on the Enders post that I have been a NHRA fan forever. I saw "The Snake" and the "Mongoose" complete in person several times back in the day. :happy feet: Mustangs are showing up more and more now days. I have seen the Force Team Mustangs too many times to count. :yahoo: This past season I saw the Tasca Shelby funny car compete. :peelout: The 2009 NHRA season is looking to be real interesting between the Ford factory drag cars, the Enders pro stock, and now this. :burnout:

Bring 'em on :banvictory:

I had a chance to talk to Don “The Snake” Prudhomme at the grand opening of the Corner Cafe. Very cool guy that loves to talk shop.

This is a great idea SAI. I love it.

IMG_2321.jpg

Don was at Gardena a week or two back to finalize some details on the unveiling and just like past experiences he is one of the most down to earth, laid back persons one could ask for. He's very approachable and always has a kind word for his fans.

Steve

I would really like to know how this is called a "street leagal" when it has Bogart wheels on it? Borgarts are great wheels but will fail on the street, am I missing something here?

I think there was an "option" for street tires.

I would really like to know how this is called a "street leagal" when it has Bogart wheels on it? Borgarts are great wheels but will fail on the street, am I missing something here?

You can Opt for a different set of Wheels and Tires for Street Use.

Thanks. This is the only link I could get to work, too. Awesome car :drool: for somebody, just not this poor guy. Buying my new SGT in 2007 was a stretch.

I had commented on the Enders post that I have been a NHRA fan forever. I saw "The Snake" and the "Mongoose" complete in person several times back in the day. :happy feet: Mustangs are showing up more and more now days. I have seen the Force Team Mustangs too many times to count. :yahoo: This past season I saw the Tasca Shelby funny car compete. :peelout: The 2009 NHRA season is looking to be real interesting between the Ford factory drag cars, the Enders pro stock, and now this. :burnout:

Bring 'em on :banvictory:

this is not something they just came up w/ those are 07 shelby gt's in the background. what else is in the works! :happy feet:

Archived