TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Stripes Thread

While this product is paint it is painted on a vinyl substrate so it has the same application and adhesion characterists as vinyl. With any vinyl stripe if it is heated you can deform it with pressure. This does not imply that you can not touch your vinyl or flex paint stripes, rather if it is hot and you put pressure at an odd angle against the stripe you may cause it to deform or shift. This may not be easy to do but it can happen. Everyone should just be aware.

The benefits of flexpaint is that it applies like vinyl but you get lots of color options to choose from AND it is clearcoated so it should last and wear like paint.

Now that make a lot of sense. They should have worded it like you did.

I just got back from my Ford dealer and they are re-doing my stripes, scoop and hood pins. Here we go...

I have to admit, I was nto willing to do the stripes, hate the Vinyl option, so the FLX paint is a great idea.. I was willing to paint on the stripes but wanted to wait

until I got back to the US, here (Korea) the craftsmanship on paint is not so great, it is kinda a new tech (under 20 years) Now that I know about the FLX paint, I am goin for it!!

Thanks for the heads up on the info.. Now I just have to figure out where to get a complete kit for the car, I want to go with a Rally strip, might even go with a supersnake style... I do not want to stray too far from original..

GNB

Does anyone know where I can purchase the actual replacement stripes for a 2007 Shelby GT in satin silver at a reasonable price? Ford warranty just quoted me $870 US just for the stripes. Are you kidding me or what. I usually like a gun being put to my head when I am being robbed!

Does anyone know if the stripes you can buy on the internet (about $100) from an aftermarket company are an exact match in colour and or quality? I live in Canada and am presently having other warranty work done in Niagara Falls and don't want to replace the scoop without doing the stripes.

Any info or tips anyone has would be greatly appreciated!!!

Does anyone know where I can purchase the actual replacement stripes for a 2007 Shelby GT in satin silver at a reasonable price? Ford warranty just quoted me $870 US just for the stripes. Are you kidding me or what. I usually like a gun being put to my head when I am being robbed!

Does anyone know if the stripes you can buy on the internet (about $100) from an aftermarket company are an exact match in colour and or quality? I live in Canada and am presently having other warranty work done in Niagara Falls and don't want to replace the scoop without doing the stripes.

Just go to any local auto graphics shop and they can match them that's what I did.

The actual Orcal PN is here someplace if you simply must have the same material I went with something else.

I can help. Pm sent

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a used 07 SGT. The salesman told me that the problem was due to the previous owner using Armoral. But it sure looks like rust now that I have read this. I am lucky that I have a due bill from the dealer that says that they will replace them. The Shelby lettering on the trunk is also discolored and they are going to replace that too. I haven't seen anything on the thread that mentions that.

The paint looks great so I was wondering what happened. Thanks for the info.

In the long run, maybe they should be replaced with vinyl. Who wants to get new stripes every couple of years. There was a company in Arlington, TX that would do practically do anything in vinyl. I considered it for my other car because it wouldn't be permanent like painted stripes.

Other than that, remove the stripes and go into stealth mode? I am considering that.

Cheers,

Rod

I just bought a used 07 SGT. The salesman told me that the problem was due to the previous owner using Armoral. But it sure looks like rust now that I have read this. I am lucky that I have a due bill from the dealer that says that they will replace them. The Shelby lettering on the trunk is also discolored and they are going to replace that too. I haven't seen anything on the thread that mentions that.

In the long run, maybe they should be replaced with vinyl. Who wants to get new stripes every couple of years. There was a company in Arlington, TX that would do practically do anything in vinyl. I considered it for my other car because it wouldn't be permanent like painted stripes.

Other than that, remove the stripes and go into stealth mode? I am considering that.

Cheers,

Rod

I got in five rolls of the flexpaint the other day and am working on a few projects with it. I will post up more soon on this product. May be a good alternative for the vinyl used originally.

Cheers,

Rod

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42158

Vinyl stripes usually come with a 5-year warranty, when you buy them, at most. The length of time they stay looking good is dependent upon a lot of different factors and the environment. Paint and vinyl react differently to chemicals, heat, UV, etc., and that's just the way it is! If you have a car with vinyl stripes you need to take special care with it such as not allowing morning dew to form and sit sit on the car to rain air drying and more. If you don't have a garage, and drive the car often in the rain as a daily driver, I would either become a crazy man wiping it down clean and get an outdoor all weather cover, or paint the stripes on.

• 4 weeks later...

Funny how this thread just slowly fades away. (pun intended)

My bud, 08 #147, has gotten no help at all for his BADLY rusted stripes from ford or shelby. They have that crap from front to back, he hasn't even driven the car for 3 months, too embarrassed. We were told it was covered for 3 years/ 36000 mi, but seems the rules were changed when it started costing the company money. Where is this 1 year/12000 mi warranty written? None of us have been shown this "new" warranty info on paper, just word of mouth. They say it is "environmental" and just for Arizona, California, Nevada. Funny, isn't that where these stripes were installed by the company? If it was just environmental, it would be affecting the entire car. Seems to me it is more like a COMBINATION of environmental issues and FAULTY material. Has anyone checked to see if the new stripe is made from the same material? My understanding is that it is, just thicker version. And in case no one else has heard this, the new stripes are starting to show the SAME symptoms: rusting.

With all the trouble with these cars, how are they worth it?

Situation is so bad he is trading it in on a Roush. I am thinking the same thing before the crap hits my stripes.

Edited by SHANE-O-MAN

These stripes just keep coming up no problem with mine so far BUT my car 07 only has 1000 covered at night inside during day. I have seen two SGTs here in WI one 07 one 08 the 07 had some miles on it stripes looked rusty, BUT the 08 is a new ovepriced SGT been sitting on lot for about one year stripes are faded and rusty, SO it cannot be just your area the stripes come from Germany and thier quality is in question we all know that. And the canned answer that this is a Shelby does not cut it dont see stripes issues with other cars my brothers 04 MINI Cooper I think Shelby and Ford should back this issue, Is this why there is no mention of another Shelby car cost Ford too much money ?. Just one last remark for the record the stripes on my 87 Shelby GLHS are just fine never a problem Ford and Shelby maybe check to see what material Dodge used??????

Funny how this thread just slowly fades away. (pun intended)

My bud, 08 #147, has gotten no help at all for his BADLY rusted stripes from ford or shelby. They have that crap from front to back, he hasn't even driven the car for 3 months, too embarrassed. We were told it was covered for 3 years/ 36000 mi, but seems the rules were changed when it started costing the company money. Where is this 1 year/12000 mi warranty written? None of us have been shown this "new" warranty info on paper, just word of mouth. They say it is "environmental" and just for Arizona, California, Nevada. Funny, isn't that where these stripes were installed by the company? If it was just environmental, it would be affecting the entire car. Seems to me it is more like a COMBINATION of environmental issues and FAULTY material. Has anyone checked to see if the new stripe is made from the same material? My understanding is that it is, just thicker version. And in case no one else has heard this, the new stripes are starting to show the SAME symptoms: rusting.

With all the trouble with these cars, how are they worth it?

Situation is so bad he is trading it in on a Roush. I am thinking the same thing before the crap hits my stripes.

I recently took mine in to have the stripes replaced (water spots) and I was told the same thing. This 12month/12k miles warranty is BS, how can they just change it when they realize the part is bad? I grew up loving mustangs and always thought shelbys were the best you could get. I finally got an SGT before I left the Army and I've spent more time trying to get the problems resolved (scoop and stripes) than I have been able to focus on performance. I never thought that Shelby would be a company that would put faulty parts on their products and then leave the consumer high and dry. Needless to say, when I heard the final word about their "new" warranty, shelby lost a customer for life. And my car spent all its time in North Carolina, pretty far away from the "environmental" problems of the West.

You guys aren't going to believe this one. I bought my 08SGT1377 on June 1, 2009, and when I picked it up, the dealer pointed out that the stripes had spots on them and that they would go through the process of getting them replaced under warranty. Three months later (after hounding them), I was finally given a date with their "stripe guy" who would do the work. I dropped the car off on August 31. They said they would strip the stripes and then install them on September 1. I stopped by on the 2nd just to check on it and was shocked by what I saw. Their "stripe guy" did a terrible job! The stripes on the hood had a gap of more than 1" between them, and got closer together as they neared the front of the car, the stripes on the trunk were off-center and too far to the right, and the stripes on the roof started in the rear at less than 1" apart then angled away from each other to more than 1" apart. The dealer said that the installer put the stripes on just how they were originally, but he changed his tune when I showed him the roof. He assured me that he would have it taken care of, but we all know that the stripes can't just be peeled off and reapplied like scotch tape. The side stripes weren't replaced because the dealer said they didn't have to be. I showed him the drip marks on them and he said it would be taken care of. Also, the stripes all had particles under them because the installation was done in their dusty garage.

I went back in two days later after not hearing from the dealer and found the hood scoop resting on the hood which made the wide gap on the hood look even worse. The side stripes were replaced, but the skinny top and bottom stripes were upside down in some areas!! And they were installed flush with the wheel well which will obviously pull up under normal driving conditions. Now get this...the roof stripes were now equidistant apart, but more than 1". The installer actually took a razor blade and cut the stripes lengthwise while they were on the car!!!! I found the cut pieces, saw that the stripes were now crooked, and found cuts/scratches in the paint from where he cut the stripes!! The owner insisted that the stripes were always that far apart and the stripe guy made sure to follow the pattern that was on the car originally. The owner did not seem phased that someone would take a razor blade to a new car and leave scratches. The owner continuously stated that it would "never be perfect" and that Shelby must have sent stripes that were not straight. I asked the owner to set up a meeting with his Ford field rep to which he replied that they did not have a field rep. The owner told me that it was my responsibility to contact Shelby and Ford. When I asked for contact numbers he told me to get them from my owner's manual. The owner stated that Shelby should send new stripes and they would re-install them a second time. I told the owner that they stripes are not warrantied for installation errors but he insisted the stripes were installed correctly.

I contacted Bud at Shelby who was appalled by the photos and directed me to Ford Racing. Ford Racing stated that they would not approve the warranty reimbursement until I was satisfied. They spoke with the owner of the dealership and they will be sending a second set of stripes out and setting me up with a "specialty auto graphics" guy for the installation. My concern is, where do I even start to make sure that he's using authentic Shelby stripes, that my roof scratches will be repaired, and that this new guy knows what he's doing? I'm sending a request to Ford Racing to see if I can get my hood pins replaced at the same time since they're starting to show more bubbling in the paint.

I finally got a great car and after only 600 miles, it's been in the shop for 2 weeks already, only to be there for I'm sure another 2 weeks if not more. This is so frustrating! What would Ford do if this was my daily driver? Anyone know any good paint shops / graphics shops in Northern NJ?

You guys aren't going to believe this one. I bought my 08SGT1377 on June 1, 2009, and when I picked it up, the dealer pointed out that the stripes had spots on them and that they would go through the process of getting them replaced under warranty. Three months later (after hounding them), I was finally given a date with their "stripe guy" who would do the work. I dropped the car off on August 31. They said they would strip the stripes and then install them on September 1. I stopped by on the 2nd just to check on it and was shocked by what I saw. Their "stripe guy" did a terrible job! The stripes on the hood had a gap of more than 1" between them, and got closer together as they neared the front of the car, the stripes on the trunk were off-center and too far to the right, and the stripes on the roof started in the rear at less than 1" apart then angled away from each other to more than 1" apart. The dealer said that the installer put the stripes on just how they were originally, but he changed his tune when I showed him the roof. He assured me that he would have it taken care of, but we all know that the stripes can't just be peeled off and reapplied like scotch tape. The side stripes weren't replaced because the dealer said they didn't have to be. I showed him the drip marks on them and he said it would be taken care of. Also, the stripes all had particles under them because the installation was done in their dusty garage.

I went back in two days later after not hearing from the dealer and found the hood scoop resting on the hood which made the wide gap on the hood look even worse. The side stripes were replaced, but the skinny top and bottom stripes were upside down in some areas!! And they were installed flush with the wheel well which will obviously pull up under normal driving conditions. Now get this...the roof stripes were now equidistant apart, but more than 1". The installer actually took a razor blade and cut the stripes lengthwise while they were on the car!!!! I found the cut pieces, saw that the stripes were now crooked, and found cuts/scratches in the paint from where he cut the stripes!! The owner insisted that the stripes were always that far apart and the stripe guy made sure to follow the pattern that was on the car originally. The owner did not seem phased that someone would take a razor blade to a new car and leave scratches. The owner continuously stated that it would "never be perfect" and that Shelby must have sent stripes that were not straight. I asked the owner to set up a meeting with his Ford field rep to which he replied that they did not have a field rep. The owner told me that it was my responsibility to contact Shelby and Ford. When I asked for contact numbers he told me to get them from my owner's manual. The owner stated that Shelby should send new stripes and they would re-install them a second time. I told the owner that they stripes are not warrantied for installation errors but he insisted the stripes were installed correctly.

I contacted Bud at Shelby who was appalled by the photos and directed me to Ford Racing. Ford Racing stated that they would not approve the warranty reimbursement until I was satisfied. They spoke with the owner of the dealership and they will be sending a second set of stripes out and setting me up with a "specialty auto graphics" guy for the installation. My concern is, where do I even start to make sure that he's using authentic Shelby stripes, that my roof scratches will be repaired, and that this new guy knows what he's doing? I'm sending a request to Ford Racing to see if I can get my hood pins replaced at the same time since they're starting to show more bubbling in the paint.

I finally got a great car and after only 600 miles, it's been in the shop for 2 weeks already, only to be there for I'm sure another 2 weeks if not more. This is so frustrating! What would Ford do if this was my daily driver? Anyone know any good paint shops / graphics shops in Northern NJ?

Do not accept the car. leave it with them. tell them you want a Roush since they effed up your car. Warranty work usually gets you a rental. Demand it. And call your insurance company and let them know the dealership damaged your car, maybe they can help. Same story every where I go. Oh, and it looks my dealer is going under; stock is depleted. So where am I to get my stripes and scoop taken care of? Can't Shelby just post here approved regional graphics shops where we can take our cars for proper care? And HONOR the ORIGINAL 3 year/36000 mile warranty...

Announcement: 2007 Model Mustang Shelby GT Warranty Claiming Procedures

To: Dealer Principals January 23, 2007

General Managers

Sales Managers

Parts Managers

Service Managers

Warranty Administration Managers

Subject: 2007 Model Mustang Shelby GT Warranty Program

Questions: Contact the Ford Performance Group (800) 367-3788

Attachments: Example Warranty Claims

Shelby Automobiles and Ford Racing are pleased to provide dealers with information related to warranty coverage

and the administration of warranty claims for 2007 Model Mustang Shelby GT's which include both Ford Racing

Parts and Shelby components.

Ford Racing part numbers included in this warranty program are listed below:

· Ford Racing Power Upgrade Package :

o M-2006-FR1 Power Upgrade Pack

o M-5251-R Exhaust X-Pipe

· Ford Racing Handling Pack:

o M-2005-FR3 Handling Pack

· Ford Racing Short Throw Shifter:

o M-7210-T1 Shifter

Shelby part numbers included in this warranty program are listed below:

· SGT200 Hood Scoop w/ hardware kit

· FD-GRILLE112-02 Front Grille Chrome Insert w/ hardware kit

· SGT151 Pony Bracket

· C5ZZ-16229-B Pony Logo Front

· 5S3Z-13208-GT Door sill plates (Pair)

· S1MS-16892-SSK Hood Pins

· DC-16892 Hood Pin Gasket

· SGT301 Hood Pin Brackets (Pair)

· S8MS-16607-S Dash plaque

· SA-NP-102 Engine plate

· SGT900 Striping Kit - Full

· SGT901 Striping Kit - Front Fascia

· SGT902 Striping Kit - Hood

· SGT903 Striping Kit - Roof

· SGT904 Striping Kit - Rear trunk and fascia

· SGT905 Striping Kit - Sides

· 5S3Z-6313086-A Floor-Mat Emblem kit (Pair)

Shelby Warranty Program Summary

Shelby Automobiles Inc (“Shelby”) warrants specific Shelby supplied and installed performance parts, ONLY, for 3

years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first). Shelby also warrants workmanship in connection with any

installation it may perform of the Shelby supplied and installed parts for 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes

first) from the warranty start date at the time of vehicle sale.

Shelby also warrants workmanship in connection with any installation it may perform of the Ford Racing supplied

parts for 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first) from the warranty start date at the time of vehicle sale.

(See the attached list of the Bill of Materials).

Ford Motor Company ("Ford") warrants specific Ford Racing Performance parts identified herein ( M-5251-R, M-

2006-FR1, and M-2005-FR3, M-7210-T1) found to be defective in factory-supplied material or workmanship for 3

Ford Division Car Marketing

years/36,000 miles (whichever comes first) from the warranty start date when installed on a new vehicle at the time

of vehicle sale.

Warranty Verification

The OASIS system will have the following notation for all 2007 Shelby GT's:

“SHELBY GT: SHELBY GT w/ FORD RACING PARTS INSTALLED, FOR COVERAGE 1-800-367-3788

Repairs Done at Dealerships – In order to acquire parts and make repairs to Shelby or Ford Racing Performance

parts on the Shelby GT, the dealership must call the Ford Performance Group, (800) 367-3788, in advance of repairs

to receive a special warranty program code authorization.

Warranty Claiming Process and Part Ordering instructions- If you have questions call the Ford

Performance Group (800) 367-3788

· Dealer can get parts ordering instructions for both Shelby and Ford Racing Parts when you call in for prior

approval

· Enter Program Code provided by Ford Performance Group (SWRP, SRP, or SSRP on ACESII (800#

personnel will advise of the proper program code)

· Causal part is WRPPART

· Enter approval code obtained from the Ford Performance Group Call Center (800) 367-3788

· Enter Total Parts amounts (Shelby and Ford Racing) "OSP"

· Use the Shelby or Ford Racing Part# as the Labor Operation using "MTM" For Example:

Ford Racing Parts

· Power Upgrade Package Part # M-2006-FR1 = Labor Operation: MTM2006FR1

· Handling Package Part # M-2005-FR3 = Labor Operation: MTM2005FR3

· Exhaust X-Pipe Part # M-5251-R = Labor Operation: MTM5251R

· Short Throw Shifter Part # M-7210-T1 = Labor Operation: MTM7210T1

Shelby Parts

· M-16098-PBF Powered By Ford Badge = Labor Operation MTM16098PFB

· SGT200 Hood Scoop kit = Labor Operation: MTMT200

· FD-GRILLE112-02 Front Grille Chrome Ins = Labor Operation: MTMGRILLE

· SGT151 Pony Bracket = Labor Operation: MTMSGT151

· C5ZZ-16229-B Pony Logo Front = Labor Operation: MTM16229B

· 5S3Z-13208-GT Door sill plates (Pair) = Labor Operation: MTM13208GT

· S1MS-16892-SSK Hood Pins = Labor Operation: MTM16892SSK

· DC-16892 Hood Pin Gasket = Labor Operation: MTM16892

· SGT301 Hood Pin Brackets (2) = Labor Operation: MTMSGT301

· S8MS-16607-S Dash plaque = Labor Operation: MTM16607S

· SA-NP-102 Engine plate = Labor Operation: MTMNP102

· SGT900 Striping Kit – Full = Labor Operation: MTMSGT900

· SGT901 Striping Kit -Front Fas = Labor Operation: MTMSGT901

· SGT902 Striping Kit – Hood = Labor Operation: MTMSGT902

· SGT903 Striping Kit – Roof = Labor Operation: MTMSGT903

· SGT904 Striping Kit – Rear Fascia = Labor Operation: MTMSGT904

· SGT905 Striping Kit – Sides = Labor Operation: MTMSGT905

· 5S3Z-6313086-A Floor-Mat Emblem kit (2) = Labor Operation: MTM6313086A

Post Repair Requirements

1. Attached documentation to customer file

2. Retail customer invoice/receipt for the original purchase and installation of the failed kit.

3. Retain supporting documentation for one year.

4. Failed parts are to be maintained in accordance with FCSD parts retention policies

Jamie Allison Robert Parker

Ford Racing Performance Parts Manager Car Marketing Manager

Ford Racing Technology Ford Division

No where in here are the words "12 month/ 12000 miles"

Go to this post and print everything before it disappears.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42709

Edited by SHANE-O-MAN

You might want to check with your state ref legal issue of veh warranties, here in WI once warranty is issued and especially in print THEY cannot change it ie Shely and Ford cant change because they used cheap stripe material and now costing them money WI says they have to honor the 3 36 just for your info.

You might want to check with your state ref legal issue of veh warranties, here in WI once warranty is issued and especially in print THEY cannot change it ie Shely and Ford cant change because they used cheap stripe material and now costing them money WI says they have to honor the 3 36 just for your info.

We have been up and down this road MANY times.

The warranty reads: "Shelby Automobiles Inc (“Shelby”) warrants specific Shelby supplied and installed performance parts, ONLY, for 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first)."

Stripes are not considered performance parts.

Edited by JeffIsHereToo

We have been up and down this road MANY times.

The warranty reads: "Shelby Automobiles Inc (“Shelby”) warrants specific Shelby supplied and installed performance parts, ONLY, for 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first)."

Stripes are not considered performance parts.

Either way I'm covered since I've only had the car for 3.5 months and driven it a grand total of 600 miles. It's still at the dealer and no word from anyone as to when or where it's going to be fixed. I'm starting to forget what it looks like....

Either way I'm covered since I've only had the car for 3.5 months and driven it a grand total of 600 miles. It's still at the dealer and no word from anyone as to when or where it's going to be fixed. I'm starting to forget what it looks like....

You're good then!

I feel you pain! I had mine in for 4 scoops and three stripe sets before it was done right!

Hang in there, once done it's great!

Good luck!

· SGT151 Pony Bracket

· SA-NP-102 Engine plate

Jeff, you are no help. *edit*

Why would they list these parts IF THEY ARE NOT COVERED!!!!

NONE OF THESE ARE "PERFORMANCE PARTS"!! So what you are saying is NO SHELBY PART IS COVERED for our cars!?!? Is this what me and everyone else have been missing!? (shelby don't make performance parts, they only "install supplied performance parts")

Where in here does it say 12/12 warranty? Post THAT so we don't have to go up that road again.

Lets see if you can.

Thanks for the tip, Bruces. I am now looking into that angle.

P.S. hijack: Also looking at a SMS (Steve Saleen) 570 Challenger!

Edited by SHANE-O-MAN

Ok here is the latest update on my car;

I picked it up on Saturday in a major rain storm the stripes look great if you are one eyed drunk and leaning to the left!!!! I am so pissed at this point I am numb with disbelief on the comedy of errors that these guy's continue to make. The scoop is exactly on line the stripes are off center about an 1/8 of an inch to the right and the stripe on the scoop is a different color blue so they clear coated the hood scoop why I am not sure. I will be takeing it back to the dalership again for the 5th time, I think I am going to push to see if they will go for painting them on at this point they have to be into it for $3500.00 with labor stripes and my time has to be around $500.00 just in time off to go and take the car to the dealer. I will post again when I have an update. Good luck to the rest of you still fighiting the battle.

Definition of insanitity; to continue to do the same thing over and over and expect a different outcome.

· SGT151 Pony Bracket

· SA-NP-102 Engine plate

Jeff, you are no help. *edit*

Why would they list these parts IF THEY ARE NOT COVERED!!!!

NONE OF THESE ARE "PERFORMANCE PARTS"!! So what you are saying is NO SHELBY PART IS COVERED for our cars!?!? Is this what me and everyone else have been missing!? (shelby don't make performance parts, they only "install supplied performance parts")

Where in here does it say 12/12 warranty? Post THAT so we don't have to go up that road again.

Lets see if you can.

Thanks for the tip, Bruces. I am now looking into that angle.

P.S. hijack: Also looking at a SMS (Steve Saleen) 570 Challenger!

Sorry if you don't like my answer! I can't change what Ford Racing Warranty has decided! I'm just telling you what their stand is and that is the section of the warranty that's cited as the rational. I've been through three stripe sets myself on the hood, two on the roof, so I feel your pain, but if you read this thread that's been the collective experience to date.

Good luck!

:lurk: Shaneoman...are you taking your car to Fairview Ford. My car is getting new hood stripes and hood scoop right now at Raceway Ford. It took months of dealing with them but now it is happening. To be honest , I hate all dealers' service centers. They all suck. They are always looking for a way out.

Just because you're having the stripes done at a dealer, that doesn't meant they're going to be done correctly. Make sure you really inspect it before accepting it. You're right that they always look for the easiest/cheapest way out, including using regular employees to install stripes which is a specialty job and very easy to screw up.

Just because you're having the stripes done at a dealer, that doesn't meant they're going to be done correctly. Make sure you really inspect it before accepting it. You're right that they always look for the easiest/cheapest way out, including using regular employees to install stripes which is a specialty job and very easy to screw up.

I'm going to be very careful about what I say in the stripe thread, even though I have been around Mustangs a very long time, my knowledge base on Shelby Mustangs is limited and I have had to depend on some good forum members for help on my issues.

It occurred to me that if anyone went through and reviewed all the horror stories on the installation of scoops and stripes it would be enough to make you not want to buy an SGT. Here are my thoughts, the information on stripes appears to be everywhere and for someone like me it is hard to find, but I located most of what I have.

Most of the stripe issues on reinstallation appear to be from dealers, who don't appear to do enough of it to have a professional graphics person on staff. While I am no expert on graphics installation in my line of work I have done many on the side of cars in my profession and actually designed the graphics my agency uses, but I have never done anything over the top.

I just ordered aftermarket premium red vinyl for by SGT/BJ from a graphics company in Arizona that can do Shelby Stripes on the top and sides, you have seen them on e-bay too. I have located the best installer in my town, we all do this by word of mouth, I also called SAI and asked what they did during installation, here's their secret, they use a lazer to do a center of the car, they then use 1" blue painters tape down the center from front bumper to the rear bumper license plate area so the gape between the stripes stays close to 1" between the Shelby 9" stripes. You take your time measure twice and cut one time. I prefer the wet method of install, it is a little more forgiving after you make sure the facility your car is in is very clean and the hood/top/roof has no crude on it.

You then very carefully lay them down and never cut into the stripe with a razor. Removal of the old stripes and the residue removed with the correct cleaner is a must prior to a redo, with all this said, I'm having someone else do mine that has way more experience than me, I only want to fool with it one time and then be able to drive my car. The wet method helps with being able to squeeze out the small air bubbles. Even if there are some really tiny ones usually the sun gets them over a few weeks. It is especially important to let them cure also.

Many of the more experienced members have repeatedly recommended a professional graphics shop, I would ask my Ford dealer to let me find a good shop in my area. I have no idea what is causing the SGT stripe problems and elected to use another type of premium vinyl with a 7 year warranty to rework a dealer restripe of silver on my SGT/BJ convertable.

This might make some people cringe, but there is so much posted on this, it might be a good idea for one of the moderators to suggest alot of the griping be pulled down or moved and a thread with just the most recent correct info from SAI & Ford be in a place that is easy to get to with solutions to the correct install of the stripes, the expected turn around time after order, how the warranty works the procedure if you and the dealer can't agree.

Just my thoughts, not intended to offend anyone, I'm dealing with a stripe issue also, but it was a self inflicted gunshot wound by somebody at my Ford dealer that decided a red striped SGT/BJ would look better dressed in 10" silver stripes and a repainted silvere hood. Some of our forum members are exceptionally smart and know their stuff, I learn from you everyday. The hood and stripe issue continues to overwhelm me and I suspect new people with SGTs logging on.

My hood is attached with metal rivets all around it and appears to be on okay, but I'm not sure if this is the final solution, nor have I seen the new replacement hood with directions posted either, this is important info.

GG

Edited by TAPD117

This might make some people cringe, but there is so much posted on this, it might be a good idea for one of the moderators to suggest alot of the griping be pulled down or moved and a thread with just the most recent correct info from SAI & Ford be in a place that is easy to get to with solutions to the correct install of the stripes, the expected turn around time after order, how the warranty works the procedure if you and the dealer can't agree.

Very soon, for the 07's the issue of a warranty will be mute. I've never seen anything written on the 12/12 for stripes, not saying there isn't, but I haven't seen it, just been told. For warranty info please see this thread:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42709

It's important to keep in mind that the warranty is not through SAI but Ford.

The biggest issue with the stripes is the 1" gap. This is why, if you go to local car shows, you will 99% of the time see 2005+ cars with stripes that are 1.5-2" apart. The hoods form makes it VERY difficult to maintain that 1" gap if you haven't done thousands of them. The turn around time, once the warranty work is approved, is in a a few days. The stripes are shipped FedEx next day to prevent damage.

The dealers have issues with these, and the scoop, because some feel the work allocated by Ford does not cover the real cost to do the work. In my case I told my dealer I would take it to auto graphics shop and pay the difference between the Ford allocation and the cost to do it right. I had my entire car redone with a different material with a longer warranty and sold the stripes from SAI to another member that was denied warranty repair.

Good luck!

I have seen some of the dealer work in WI ref stripes and hood,Yep would not go there, took mine to body shop that painted my 67 and 69 Shelbys complete do excellent work, had them get bubbles out of my stripes in May of 07 and they installed second scoop which is now crap (bought chip Beck scoop and will have installed next year) It seems sad though that a car company Ford and Mfg SAI cant get it right and TREAT thier loyal customers better, I own my own cpmapny and cust service is what has kept me going with company since I retired from Army ten years ago, I cant change my warranty on my equipment(scuba gear) to suit my needs funny how Shelby can AGAIN I know Ive bee told that Ford changed warranty on stripes BUT then SAI should replace them and MAYBE change material to something with some quality, Well I guess we are beating this subject to death so I will stop and I know I will not buy another Shelby product Im lucky my stripes are fine BUT car has 1000 miles waxc them weekly never in rain etc etx, sad that I have to do this with such a fun car to protect the stripes Bruce