TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Stripes Thread

Here is the section I would guess is in question: "Shelby Automobiles Inc (“Shelby”) warrants specific Shelby supplied and installed performance parts, ONLY, for 3\ years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first). Shelby also warrants workmanship in connection with any\ installation it may perform of the Shelby supplied and installed parts for 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first) from the warranty start date at the time of vehicle sale."

Note "performance parts, ONLY" but Ford is listed as warranting the only real "performance parts" so you're left to ask what then is covered under the "performance parts" Shelby section if there are no SHELBY "performance parts" listed under the Shelby parts list?

While Ford may say 1 year 12,000 miles (1/12) on stripes no where is that is that warranty defined in this document. The warranty info seems to be poorly written and thus Ford perhaps believes it provides some measure of latitude in how they interpret the warranty.

Has anyone that has been denied asked where the 1/12 is written and what is really under the 3/36 warranty?

So you're left asking, does the Shelby parts list have any relevance at all as far as the warranty as written? It could be argued "no" but Ford has covered all the above items at one time or another but they are all covered under a 1/12 that should have been listed as such on the warranty but it's not so maybe someone can shed some light on what other parts Ford will later claim are 1/12 rather than the expected 3/36

:headscratch:

I'm not sure what calling or contacting Bud will do, maybe he can call Ford but in the end this is Ford's interpretation of the warranty and not an SAI or SPP decision and I'm not sure they are in a position to tell Ford what to approve.

Edited by JeffIsHereToo

Just got a e-mail from ford warranty . They say it is not warrantabe beyond 12/12 . Whats BUD phone #

Dale, if you haven't already done so give Ford Warranty a call at 1-800-367-3788. I initially had similar trouble getting my stripes warranted as I was over 12 months also. These people are very easy to talk to and may be able to help. I don't know what is the problem with your stripes but I believe if it's a problem with the stripes pulling up at the edges or tearing or bubbles they will warranty them for more than 12 months. Spotting or acid rain...I don't know. But do give them a call. It can't hurt. Like others have said here, Bud is a great help also. Good Luck.

Jim

Dale, if you haven't already done so give Ford Warranty a call at 1-800-367-3788. I initially had similar trouble getting my stripes warranted as I was over 12 months also. These people are very easy to talk to and may be able to help. I don't know what is the problem with your stripes but I believe if it's a problem with the stripes pulling up at the edges or tearing or bubbles they will warranty them for more than 12 months. Spotting or acid rain...I don't know. But do give them a call. It can't hurt. Like others have said here, Bud is a great help also. Good Luck.

Jim

I called that number # two times and talked to William Arduino.They wanted more pic. so I sent them. The problem with the stripes is fading and it looks like water spots but I don't know how that would happen( I dry it off when wet). They said I could buy the stripes if I want to.I feel I already payed for them once!

Whats the warranty on the stripes? Ford says its 12000 or 1 yr for the stripes. Had my car for 13 mo and it has 16000 mi so they say it's not coverd. :headscratch:

FCD

Are you going to the dealer that you purchased the car from? If so they should be making a "good will" gesture on replacing the stripes.

What year SGT are we talking about?

Steve

FCD

Are you going to the dealer that you purchased the car from? If so they should be making a "good will" gesture on replacing the stripes.

Steve

Yes the same dealer . The SGT is a 2007 white with silver stipes. The service manger said the stipes are bad but Ford says they would not cover them after 12/12 . The dealer won't pay for them(cost to much money) So much for the 36/36 Not worth the paper it's printed on . No wonder people won't buy more cars.

sorry Steve, but good luck with good will in this economy.

Regardless of how much sense it would make for the dealership,

I dont see that happening.

I was just hoping that the dealership would realize how much profit they made on the sale and get it handled but I still have that old school mentality.

I have to keep reminding myself that dealerships now make their big money off of the service department. It sounds like a goodwill gesture will only get you a gesture of another sort in todays world.

Next step then is to find another dealership and take a copy of the warranty that TekHeavy posted.

Steve

I was just hoping that the dealership would realize how much profit they made on the sale and get it handled but I still have that old school mentality.

I have to keep reminding myself that dealerships now make their big money off of the service department. It sounds like a goodwill gesture will only get you a gesture of another sort in todays world.

Next step then is to find another dealership and take a copy of the warranty that TekHeavy posted.

Steve

The dealer that sold me the Shelby is only about 10 mi from Shelby in las vegas. You would think they would take it back to there and get it done at Shelby by Shelby people. I can hope.

This is really B/S. They know there is a problem with the stripes. There should be NO questions about it. It's getting to the point that if I wouldn't lose soo much money selling the car it would long gone. I love the car but all the B/S with this stripe issue and them saying 12/12 is killing me. Sorry for being so negative.

Yes the same dealer . The SGT is a 2007 white with silver stipes. The service manger said the stipes are bad but Ford says they would not cover them after 12/12 . The dealer won't pay for them(cost to much money) So much for the 36/36 Not worth the paper it's printed on . No wonder people won't buy more cars.

The dealer is not paying for it!!! Shelby's warranty covers the stripes and labor for installing them. In my case, since the dealer screwed up my first stripe replacement, they now have to pay out of pocket for the replacement stripes and labor.

Edited by tekheavy

Well according to the Warranty manual the stripes are not covered for water spotting just like they wont cover chips in the paint from rocks.

Now if the stripes were peeling or wrinkled it appears that would be covered as a defect.

Listening to Bill Ford in the background on Larry King Live as I type this. Larry just cut off a phone caller who was complaining to Bill about how Ford killed their Nebraska dealership.

Steve

Well according to the Warranty manual the stripes are not covered for water spotting just like they wont cover chips in the paint from rocks.

Now if the stripes were peeling or wrinkled it appears that would be covered as a defect.

Listening to Bill Ford in the background on Larry King Live as I type this. Larry just cut off a phone caller who was complaining to Bill about how Ford killed their Nebraska dealership.

Steve

Mine only had water spots, no peeling or wrinkling, and were replaced under warranty. Pretty sure others have had the experience. I had to go to three different Ford dealers before they knew of the problem and warranty coverage.

I'd suggest making a copy of the Warranty Suppliment and taking to your Ford Dealer. If they still say your not covered, find a new Ford Dealer!!

It's not the dealers saying this it's Ford's Warranty Center on the 800 number. Dealers want all the $$$ they can get and are more than happy to do warranty work while things are slow.

FCD

Steve

A full set of stripes is $$$, somewhere north of $800 I believe. That and the time to remove (not fun on 07s) and re-install would be one heck of a "goodwill" gesture for something they had no part in or control over.

Edited by JeffIsHereToo

The dealer is not paying for it!!! Shelby's warranty covers the stripes and labor for installing them. In my case, since the dealer screwed up my first stripe replacement, they now have to pay out of pocket for the replacement stripes and labor.

The only way the dealer gets the stripes without paying, and gets the money for labor, is if Ford approves the warranty repair to begin with. Otherwise the dealer has to go through SPP and order them like anyone else at full retail. You can't expect a dealer that, for the 07 model year, made no more on the car than a regular GT to do it out of their pocket.

Steve

The dealers in 07 made no more profit on these cars than they did on a normal GT (unless you paid ADM) even then they had to pay the SAI 7K invoice when the car was shipped to SAI or shortly after. So the dealer was out of pocket $7K in some instances months which hurt even more given it was not on the dealer's floor plan. This is why the changes were made to the SAI stickers in 07 to make it easier to charge ADM and the 08's had an increased margin added.

A full set of stripes is $$$, somewhere north of $800 I believe. That and the time to remove (not fun on 07s) and re-install would be one hack of a "goodwill" gesture for something they had no part in or control over.

Jeff

I've dealt with many dealers over the years and there are dealers that will "work with you" to make sure the warranty claim goes thru. I'm sure you understand at what I'm hinting at.

Steve

I called Ford Racing in Detroit and talked to John about Shelby warranty on the stripes and was told you have 36 mo. 36000 mile warranty on stripes unless it is enviromental then it is 12 mo. or 12000 miles.Basically if it is a defect in material or workmanship then you are covered for the 36 mo 36000 mile warranty.Good luck.