TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Stripes Thread

be glad you moved away, a lot of people there got wiped out with the recent flooding.

Tasca on that big hill was dry, but Colony Ford got wiped out......completely.

Ouch.

Yeah, no fun, I've been hearing stories from friends back home...

Jer

• 1 month later...

I had the stripes replaced in Jan. 2010 and they still look good. The dealer had to do it because I had it in the sales contract when I bought it used. Although it took 5 months to get them to do it. My question is, have there been the same problems with the replacement stripes?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Ouch.

Yeah, no fun, I've been hearing stories from friends back home...

Jer

Where exactly is this place? Your friend mentioned I believe a Ford dealer, do you know if they are selling any damaged trucks? If the place is a dealership; I don't mean to butt in, it's just I was curious.

• 2 weeks later...

I had several people ask me about a template for replacing the SHELBY letters on the SGT. I finally got around to making one and will be using it on a car I am restriping in the next couple of weeks. Super easy to use. Just line up the bottom of the template with the body line on the deck lid and center it based on alignment marks that match up with the center of the third brake light.

100_7019.jpg

100_7020.jpg

100_7018.jpg

100_7016.jpg

Where exactly is this place? Your friend mentioned I believe a Ford dealer, do you know if they are selling any damaged trucks? If the place is a dealership; I don't mean to butt in, it's just I was curious.

New England, specifically Massachusetts & Rhode Island.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner!

Jer

• 1 year later...

Exclusion of horizontal applications by manufacturers has been the case since before the GT-Hs came out. Some manufacturers go so far as to specifically call out vehicle stripes as not covered.

Personally I view vinyl graphics as a commodity. The are cheap and can be replaced if needed.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

who I need to talk to to order new stripes for my hood and front fascia. I had an accident and need to replace the Hood and Bumber on my 08 SGT but I live in Germany and my insurance company wants me to go to a regular decal shop.

Thanks for any information

Regards

Benny

PM Sent

• 2 weeks later...

Can factory stripes be purchased from the dealer or ford authorized parts distributor for our cars?

Reach out to John Farmer. http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/user/6284-mrfarmdog/

www.stuckonyougraphics.com

Jer

Edited by Jer

Does he do the GT/SC side stripes too

See my PM to you...

Jer

I had a couple of guys interested in the hood stripe kit, but in the end they needed more than just the hood stripes. We came up with a value of 25.00 plus shipping. If you hear of someone that needs just the hood stripe, PM me.---Jack

Edited by jp1gt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey, I finally figured out how to get Ford to pay for new stripes! Just amass enough complaints and threaten to swear off Ford forever. It also helps to nag a lot. It took me a year and a half after first being denied stripe replacement before I actually got it done. I think key to my success was the purchase of a 2011 Fiesta for my daughter, which turned out to be a legal lemon. Lots of electrical issues, towing, troubleshooting, and a complete denial of a loaner car had me ready to become Ford's enemy number one. Add to that having to replace nearly every part Shelby added to my SGT, and we were not exactly on friendly terms. I finally got a regional rep to speak on my behalf and he got Ford to agree to replace the stripes. It's incredible that Shelby charged Ford $925 for a few pieces of vinyl! And vinyl without any kind of guarantee! What a crock. If I still have the car in 5 years or so, I'll have the stripes painted on, but I am grateful to have a fresh set without rust spots all over them. I give credit to Chris, the regional rep, for understanding my situation and seeing why I felt so screwed by both Ford and Shelby. I do not credit Shelby, who used cheap parts to begin with, or Ford, who fought me all the way. I have purchased four brand new Fords since 2004, and after several lengthy phone calls to customer service/retention, I was basically told to "get lost". Once I added the whole lemon issue, and got Chris working for me, I finally got results, but, like I said, it took 18 months. I still don't know if I'll ever buy another new Ford again. If I do, it'll be a Mustang, but I'm ok with a slightly used one. Customer satisfaction should not require so much effort. Anyway, the car looks great now, and I feel for all of you still out there with rusty stripes. It should never have been that way.

And vinyl without any kind of guarantee! What a crock. If I still have the car in 5 years or so, I'll have the stripes painted on, but I am grateful to have a fresh set without rust spots all over them.

As has been posted the OEM manufacturers are no longer providing ANY warranty for horizontal applications. ORACAL the makers of the stripes on our cars is particularly down on the use of metallics. Of course all this came to pass when SA shipped thousands of cars around the country and the manufacturers saw what can happen with the variety of pollutants and other fallout. Shelby no longer sells metallics as an option on newer cars.

It's the nature of the beast and if you want to keep them the way they look now you will heed the words here and never allow standing water to dry on them, do not regularly store the car outside, wipe any water off the car as quickly as possible, and keep your rain drenched driving to a minimum.

If you do the above your stripes will look as good as mine after three years...SPOTLESS.

Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Just a note here: Yesterday I bumped into John Luft at Amelia Concours while they were loading up the GT350 and GTS. The stripes on the GT350, GTS, other cars, are now offered two ways: Painted or "paint on vinyl" - I questioned if this "paint on vinyl" was the Flex Paint product and got an "affirmative" answer. So this may mean that Shelby has gone away from straight vinyl stripes altogether!

John Farmer (Mrfarmdog - Stuck on You Graphics) also mentioned this product as a possible alternative to paint...

Just some FYI

Sam

• 1 month later...

i'm thinkin about just removing my crusty stripes and leavin it as a plain white wrapper. the rocker pannel stripes are in good shape. i thought of painting on the lemans stripes after vinyl removal but decided not to. my car sits outside all the time. no garage. i'll have to get the scoop painted white. or do away with it, which will leave me with holes in the hood. and i dont really want to replace the hood with a new one, but i probably end up doin it.

looking back, i kinda wished i hadn't purchased the Shelby since i dont have a garage to keep it in. i guess hind sight is 20/20. i'm goin to go with the non-stripe look and see where it goes from here.

or i may sell the car as is. or should i wait till after i unstripe it then sell it. i think the stripes as they look now would mortify a potential buyer. i "might" get stripes painted on if i find a real good body shop. and keep the cartoon scoop and then sell it like that. which will probly be the best thing. at this point money is no issue right now. i got enough to weigh my options.

edit: accually there is a good body shop i know of. i'll see what all he can do with it. and decide then. i'm just thinkin outloud on here. the body shop may give me a different insight on things. if he exceeds my expectations then i may keep the car.

when i get the car fixed. i'm investing in a car cover at least.

i think i've waited long enough before takin action because it looks like i've seen everything or 99% of what has gone or will go wrong with stripes, scoops, hoodpins, aluminum corrosion issues with steel screws, etc.

in a way, maybe all of u have been my guinee pigs. :yup:

Edited by fatboy

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Detailer look at my stripes a couple of weeks ago. He spent about two hours working on them and made a big improvement in their appeatrence. He started by using a commercial cleaner/degreaser on the stripes.

He then treated them with Groits No. 3 Polish using a small detail polisher an then applied Groits Paint Sealant. The stripes are 100% better, still a scape mark and a few spots.

• 7 months later...

Had a YIKES moment tonight. I was washing the car and as I directed the wand along the lower rocker panel, a huge couple of pieces of the wider portion of the rocker stripe just blew off the drivers door. I just stood there dumbfounded.

I have used this same wash place at least weekly for years on this car with no issue. It appears that the stripe is just sort of falling apart from itself. Strange.

I have had the horizontal stripes replaced with the Shelby warranty stripes and they still look pretty good except for the hood. The installer ruined the hood Shelby stripes with wrinkles and replaced them with a different material. While the Shelby stripes are nice and glossy on the rest of the car, the replacement "other brand" material on the hood is dead flat in gloss and is looking pretty bad.

The shop also neglected to remove all of the stripe that wrapped off the rear of the roof into the rear window area and them just applied the new stripe over the left over residue and vinyl in the crevice. Yech.

Anyway, here is my point. Can anyone tell me exactly what brand and color the material is on the latest Shelby silver striping material as used on the Shelby GT? To just purchase the material would be the best "patch in" solution for me.

Will Shelby sell just the good stripes or just a rocker stripe to replace my mess?

Thoughts?

Edited by Redlinetoys

Honestly it's been years in even back in the day, right from SA, I never got two stripes that were the same. Different batches and runs result in slight variation. That said its less noticeable on the side stripes.

I'm not sure what SA has in stock, you'll have to call, but given the cuts and such needed I would buy these from SA. I had my local auto-graphics shop do the over the top stripes but it's harder to find one that can do good custom stuff. You can ask around but then I would do BOTH sides so the match.

Lastly, as has been said MANY times here, don't use a high pressure wand on stripes.

Good luck!

Honestly it's been years in even back in the day, right from SA, I never got two stripes that were the same. Different batches and runs result in slight variation. That said its less noticeable on the side stripes.

I'm not sure what SA has in stock, you'll have to call, but given the cuts and such needed I would buy these from SA. I had my local auto-graphics shop do the over the top stripes but it's harder to find one that can do good custom stuff. You can ask around but then I would do BOTH sides so the match.

Lastly, as has been said MANY times here, don't use a high pressure wand on stripes.

Good luck!

Thanks Jeff. I have done professional detailing for 30 plus years and have never really seen stripes do this. They are literally just breaking into little pieces that are blowing off as fragments.

I have been trying to reach MrFarmdog (Jim Farmer) without success as the mailbox is ful... If you are reading this Jim, could you send me a PM?

Taking the new GT500 home Saturday. White with gloss sonic blue stripes.

Planning to use on using Klasse polish then sealant then Pinnacle Carnuba on the paint.

But, would you use 303 aerospace on the stripes first? Or just sealant and carnuba? Mind, they are not flat, but gloss.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Jeff. I have done professional detailing for 30 plus years and have never really seen stripes do this. They are literally just breaking into little pieces that are blowing off as fragments.

I have been trying to reach MrFarmdog (Jim Farmer) without success as the mailbox is ful... If you are reading this Jim, could you send me a PM?

I've never seen that happen either. Crazy.

But for anyone else, not a professional detailer, be VERY careful using a high pressure wand on vinyl stripes. We've seen plenty of reports of damage and issues through the years. If you do need to use one please take great care and hold it at least 2/3ft away (my opinion) and straight on, not at an angle, so the high pressure water has less of a chance of getting under an edge that's slightly separated from the paint and up it goes!

Here is the warning on this from the maker of the stock stripes ORCAL:

http://www.oracal.com/products/_docs/prod-bulletins/Care_Maintenance_vehicle_graphics_0808.pdf

Same warning from 3M can be found here:

FAQ Vehicle Care - 3M

Just something to be aware of and I don't want to see this happen to anyone.

Taking the new GT500 home Saturday. White with gloss sonic blue stripes.

Planning to use on using Klasse polish then sealant then Pinnacle Carnuba on the paint.

But, would you use 303 aerospace on the stripes first? Or just sealant and carnuba? Mind, they are not flat, but gloss.

Check with the maker of your stripes.

In the example care instructions above ORCAL says do not use carnuba while 3M says to use it.

Go figure!

• 2 months later...

I would ask again, does anyone know what the recent brand of high gloss shelby silver striping is? All I need is the hood stripes and there are no real special cuts on theses that can't be easily duplicated. I am only trying to determine who makes the slick smooth and much higher gloss stripe that is on the 08 shelby gt cars.