TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Stripes Thread

I just purchased my 2007 SGT, and it had the fallout issues with the stripes also. I went to the dealer where I purchased it after finding all the great info on this site! Thanks so much! Well the service manager knew of these issues and agreed that it needed fixed. So they are contacting Shelby to get the replacement stripes and Hood scoop and hopefully it will get fixed soon. My car only has 3k miles on it. So initial contact with Service Department appears to be good!

Good luck! You'll like the new scoop!

I just purchased my 2007 SGT, and it had the fallout issues with the stripes also. I went to the dealer where I purchased it after finding all the great info on this site! Thanks so much! Well the service manager knew of these issues and agreed that it needed fixed. So they are contacting Shelby to get the replacement stripes and Hood scoop and hopefully it will get fixed soon. My car only has 3k miles on it. So initial contact with Service Department appears to be good!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe in honestly and my word is just that. If you have read these posts, then you know it can be Months and Months before your car is done. With that said, it all depends on your def. of soon. Glad you are driving your Shelby and enjoying an auto few will ever have. For me, it was a dream come true.

My Shelby is at the Dealership, for I did not take Delivery yet. My payments start soon. And, I have protected myself in the Hood Scoop, Hood Pin's, Corrosion around Hood Pin's, and Stripes issues. This fact has been known, as others have stated, to Ford and Shelby but was not devolved to me. May be others had seen it clearly posted on the window or at the table before signing anything, that there has been Many issues with the Scoop, Pin's, Corrosion around the Pin's, and Stripes. And, it could take some time to correct the issues if they come up. Now sign here.

Good Luck and I do hope you have your issue(s) corrected "soon".

Edited by Naa-V-Doc

I must be in the minority, I have not noticed anything wrong with my stripes. My car is garaged and never driven in bad weather, I also have 5-6 coats of Zaino on them. When mine go I am thinking I will have them painted on, at the same time I will have them clean up any small chips and install a Clear Bra.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe in honestly and my word is just that. If you have read these posts, then you know it can be Months and Months before your car is done. With that said, it all depends on your def. of soon. Glad you are driving your Shelby and enjoying an auto few will ever have. For me, it was a dream come true.

My Shelby is at the Dealership, for I did not take Delivery yet. My payments start soon. And, I have protected myself in the Hood Scoop, Hood Pin's, Corrosion around Hood Pin's, and Stripes issues. This fact has been known, as others have stated, to Ford and Shelby but was not devolved to me. May be others had seen it clearly posted on the window or at the table before signing anything, that there has been Many issues with the Scoop, Pin's, Corrosion around the Pin's, and Stripes. And, it could take some time to correct the issues if they come up. Now sign here.

Good Luck and I do hope you have your issue(s) corrected "soon".

It sounds to me like the dealer left it out in the elements all these years and you're seeing the result. No wax, high pressure wash now and then, and just sitting. Sad.

BTW: how are you making payments if you didn't take delivery? It sounds like it's your car, which if you actually take it off the lot or not, is taking delivery. MM?

From what you've posted it seems like all your doing now is keeping it at the dealer until it's fixed. I think I would take it home until the parts come in. I don't think leaving it there isn't doing it, or you, any good.

Hey at least home you could drive it even with the issues it's a fun car to drive! Heck I'd take it out at night! LOL.

While you might have issues with the scoop, stripes, and pins, the rest of the car should be cared for. I would rather it in my garage than in theirs with car porters moving it around etc., no matter what they tell me I would want it home and not at their mercy.

IMHO!

But hey, do as you think best! I just hope for you it's fixed soon!

Good luck!

I must be in the minority, I have not noticed anything wrong with my stripes. My car is garaged and never driven in bad weather, I also have 5-6 coats of Zaino on them. When mine go I am thinking I will have them painted on, at the same time I will have them clean up any small chips and install a Clear Bra.

I had some issues with my first set of stripes but other than that, in almost three years, they are fine, as is my scoop for the last year. Like you I care for it and keep it garaged, don't drive in bad weather unless I have to, and I NEVER let it have standing water on it. If I am caught in the rain as soon as I get back I wipe it down with soft rags and detail spray. Not taking any chances. So far so good! But like you I will eventually paint them on I think that will be the long term solution.

It sounds to me like the dealer left it out in the elements all these years and you're seeing the result. No wax, high pressure wash now and then, and just sitting. Sad.

BTW: how are you making payments if you didn't take delivery? It sounds like it's your car, which if you actually take it off the lot or not, is taking delivery. MM?

From what you've posted it seems like all your doing now is keeping it at the dealer until it's fixed. I think I would take it home until the parts come in. I don't think leaving it there isn't doing it, or you, any good.

Hey at least home you could drive it even with the issues it's a fun car to drive! Heck I'd take it out at night! LOL.

While you might have issues with the scoop, stripes, and pins, the rest of the car should be cared for. I would rather it in my garage than in theirs with car porters moving it around etc., no matter what they tell me I would want it home and not at their mercy.

IMHO!

But hey, do as you think best! I just hope for you it's fixed soon!

Good luck!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi JeffisHereToo,

It is sad that the dealer let this beautiful Shelby sit... The Shelby has more issues besides the Hood, stripes, etc. But I did not want to go into them here.

If you would like a PM just let me know. The Supervisor of the Area is to contact me tomorrow... When I asked the local area person who was filling in for the true area Rep., I asked MAN to MAN, if he would have bought this type of car knowing the many issues and time-lines for it to be fixed? - He would not answer - but his non-answer said volum.'s. And, I understand why he was mute.

So, let me know if you want a PM... Yes, it is my car and it's a the Dealership. The last thing I want to here is the he said - she said issues. The Supervisor of this area can address the other issues as well as the Shelby issues.

There should have been and still should be some notice to inform the general public about these issues before buying.

Look at this new person that just got his Shelby and now needs to go thru the process. And, there still are New Shelby's out there and the public does not know of these issues.

Don't get me wrong - I want the Shelby (right now any Shelby GT that is not as screwed up as mine is), it's the principle within truth now.

Thanks for the luck - may be by tomorrow some will be solved and may be the public will be aware of the possible issue, so to make an informed decision.

I do enjoy your write-up's - Doc

Edited by Naa-V-Doc

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hear ya. What Clear Bra are you going with?

Doc

Good news on my stripe issues. I got a call Friday from my service rep while I was in Laughlin, NV for my daughter's soccer tournament. All my stripes that have been on backorder since Sept., are finally in. :happy feet: :happy feet:

She wanted to start work on it Monday, but since I am taking it to Vegas Friday, I didn't want them to do a rush job on it.

So, when I get back from Vegas, I'll be getting my hood and trunk stripes replaced.

Oh, and my daughter's team took 3rd place in their age group at the tourney.

Dan

Dan, congratulations on both counts!

Remember....as i always say when people are getting their stripes done "1" space ALL THE WAY DOWN and IGNORE the washer nozzles!"

Good luck!

That may be the most valuable piece of info on here....thats how Tasca does them.

Dales 08 is there now, my 07 is (hopefully) going when hers is done.

Does anybody have the correct paint color for the 07 GT-H gold. I am getting the car repainted and the stripes painted on as well.

Dupont code for the gold paint: 409383

Lettering font information: Myriad bold italic 96 point.

Be sure to read up and check threads in these sub-foums:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/forum/206-shelby-gt-h-2006-coupe/

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/forum/216-shelby-gt-h-2007-convertible/

When getting mine done here locally in the Chicago area I looked for experienced auto-graphics companies not body or paint shops who also often sub-contract out, or should! You can also contact some local car clubs and see if they have any experience with any of these or know of others.

This shop has a nice Boss 302 stripe job as an example on their web site:

http://www.vwrap.net/

Jeff where did you go? I am in Wauconda. My stripes look like crap, but don't trust the dealer.

Jeff where did you go? I am in Wauconda. My stripes look like crap, but don't trust the dealer.

I got mine done at Sticker Dude in Lake Zurich.

http://www.stickerdudedesigns.com

Be aware that because I had an 07, and Shelby now ships 08 quality stripes, it would mean my stripes wouldn't match since only sections were getting replaced. Because of that I didn't use the stripes that came from Shelby and instead had them use another like material. I then had the dealer sub-contract to Sticker Dude and pay them Ford's labor rate and I paid the difference. I then sold my Shelby stripes to another owner that was denied warranty repair.

Since you are in Wauconda I suspect you're working with Victor Ford, as I did at one point too. I will just say that if you need scoop work done, go to Adams Auto Body in McHenry they have done at least 4 and have it down. If you need stripe wok done go to SD and get them done. In both cases be prepared to spend a little out-of-pocket but you WILL be VERY happy.

Good luck!

Edited by JeffIsHereToo

I got mine done at Sticker Dude in Lake Zurich.

http://www.stickerdudedesigns.com

Be aware that because I had an 07, and Shelby now ships 08 quality stripes, it would mean my stripes wouldn't match since only sections were getting replaced. Because of that I didn't use the stripes that came from Shelby and instead had them use another like material. I then had the dealer sub-contract to Sticker Dude and pay them Ford's labor rate and I paid the difference. I then sold my Shelby stripes to another owner that was denied warranty repair.

Since you are in Wauconda I suspect you're working with Victor Ford, as I did at one point too. I will just say that if you need scoop work done, go to Adams Auto Body in McHenry they have done at least 4 and have it down. If you need stripe wok done go to SD and get them done. In both cases be prepared to spend a little out-of-pocket but you WILL be VERY happy.

Good luck!

Thanks that is a huge help. I went to victor originally, to buy the car. But as usual they tried jerking me around, so I went to Wickstrom in Barrington.

They took good car of me, but I have a hard time picturing them replacing the stripes correctly.

I am seriously considering having them painted on. Can't decide. I wish shelby would offer to strip the old ones off an replace with paint for about 1500.

It would be a good compromise and then we could have our cars added as painted stripe to the Shelby Reg. so we didn't lose value

Thanks that is a huge help. I went to victor originally, to buy the car. But as usual they tried jerking me around, so I went to Wickstrom in Barrington.

They took good car of me, but I have a hard time picturing them replacing the stripes correctly.

I am seriously considering having them painted on. Can't decide. I wish shelby would offer to strip the old ones off an replace with paint for about 1500.

It would be a good compromise and then we could have our cars added as painted stripe to the Shelby Reg. so we didn't lose value

I understand. Adams Auto Body also wanted to paint the stripes on, said they can even duplicate the side stripes, but I didn't have the $$$ at the time. I don't see you loosing ANY value. Stripes, even under the BEST conditions only last a few years. So eventually every car, "pretty much" will need them replaced one way or another.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

My stripes that have been on backorder since Sept., are finally in. :happy feet: :happy feet:

She wanted to start work on it Monday, but since I am taking it to Vegas Friday, I didn't want them to do a rush job on it.

So, when I get back from Vegas, I'll be getting my hood and trunk stripes replaced.

Danny,

I brought mine in to the dealer on Monday. They seemed pretty pessimistic, said that their last customer was denied due to "environmental issues" as a factor - we've clearly seen that used as an excuse before... did yours have spots, or were they peeling/lifting? Thanks!

Jer

Danny,

I brought mine in to the dealer on Monday. They seemed pretty pessimistic, said that their last customer was denied due to "environmental issues" as a factor - we've clearly seen that used as an excuse before... did yours have spots, or were they peeling/lifting? Thanks!

Jer

Jer,

They were spotted, discolored and basically looked like s :censored: t. I was still under the 12/12 warranty as I had purchased my car new in Jan. '09. Initially, Ford Racing didn't want to cover my hood stripes as I have the GT-H hood, even though the hood was replaced by Shelby, at Shelby, during the conversion. Eventually, after several inquiries as to why, Ford Racing authorized a "one time only customer satisfaction" replacement.

Well guess what, they effed that up too!!!! After I dropped my car off to get them replaced (Dealer had stripes in hand), the dealer called and said they were sent the wrong stripes for the hood. This is after the body shop had already removed the hood ones. Monday of last week, the dealer was told by F.R. that the replacements would be delivered by Thursday. Dealer asked can you do better than that, F.R. conceded and said they would be overnighted. Mind you the supplier is about an hour away.

Tuesday...nothing, Wednesday...nothing, Thursday (the original promise date)...nothing. Friday my service rep calls to bitch at F.R. and she is given a tracking number (which ended up being a total BS number to nothing). Monday comes and can you guess what??? Yes, NOTHING

The next day (last Tues.) my service rep is livid with F.R. for lying to her and giving her a BS tracking number that didn't work. She gets ahold of someone she had never dealt with before who got the supplier on the other line. This person guarantees the stripes will be delivered today, tomorrow morning at the latest. Well I wasn't able to call the body shop before they closed today, but you can bet the house, tomorrow I'm calling. My car has been at the dealer since the Tuesday after the Shelby race by the way, over 2 weeks.

Had I known that I would have had to go through all this bullshit, I would have driven to the supplier myself and picked the damned things up in person. I just can't believe that F.R. treats their customers and their dealers like this and expect people to want to be repeat customers of Ford.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's update...

Oh, and ask them to explain to you if it is an "environmental issue", why all of your stripes are not messed up, or your paint either.

Dan

Jer,

They were spotted, discolored and basically looked like s :censored: t. I was still under the 12/12 warranty as I had purchased my car new in Jan. '09. Initially, Ford Racing didn't want to cover my hood stripes as I have the GT-H hood, even though the hood was replaced by Shelby, at Shelby, during the conversion. Eventually, after several inquiries as to why, Ford Racing authorized a "one time only customer satisfaction" replacement.

Well guess what, they effed that up too!!!! After I dropped my car off to get them replaced (Dealer had stripes in hand), the dealer called and said they were sent the wrong stripes for the hood. This is after the body shop had already removed the hood ones. Monday of last week, the dealer was told by F.R. that the replacements would be delivered by Thursday. Dealer asked can you do better than that, F.R. conceded and said they would be overnighted. Mind you the supplier is about an hour away.

Tuesday...nothing, Wednesday...nothing, Thursday (the original promise date)...nothing. Friday my service rep calls to bitch at F.R. and she is given a tracking number (which ended up being a total BS number to nothing). Monday comes and can you guess what??? Yes, NOTHING

The next day (last Tues.) my service rep is livid with F.R. for lying to her and giving her a BS tracking number that didn't work. She gets ahold of someone she had never dealt with before who got the supplier on the other line. This person guarantees the stripes will be delivered today, tomorrow morning at the latest. Well I wasn't able to call the body shop before they closed today, but you can bet the house, tomorrow I'm calling. My car has been at the dealer since the Tuesday after the Shelby race by the way, over 2 weeks.

Had I known that I would have had to go through all this bullshit, I would have driven to the supplier myself and picked the damned things up in person. I just can't believe that F.R. treats their customers and their dealers like this and expect people to want to be repeat customers of Ford.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's update...

Oh, and ask them to explain to you if it is an "environmental issue", why all of your stripes are not messed up, or your paint either.

Dan

Sigh... Hoping I don't have to go through this dance... Y'know, my car NOW lives in Vegas, but the stripes had MONSTER spots and corrosion while being garaged in NY, so I HOPE I don't get the "Nevada Punishment". I drove it cross-country in August '09, and it's been indoors ever since... the scoop looks like Silly Putty, and the stripes are turning brown... the muffler brackets have each snapped off TWICE, the hood is bubbling around the pin plates, the lanyards are rusted, the hood pin mounting plates are rusted SOLID... but I still hold out hope that FRPP and Shelby help out. If NOT? Well, that'd be SAD. Just gonna restrain my disappointment until I hear back from the dealer. No sense getting worked up until I hear a "No".

Jer

Sigh... Hoping I don't have to go through this dance... Y'know, my car NOW lives in Vegas, but the stripes had MONSTER spots and corrosion while being garaged in NY, so I HOPE I don't get the "Nevada Punishment". I drove it cross-country in August '09, and it's been indoors ever since... the scoop looks like Silly Putty, and the stripes are turning brown... the muffler brackets have each snapped off TWICE, the hood is bubbling around the pin plates, the lanyards are rusted, the hood pin mounting plates are rusted SOLID... but I still hold out hope that FRPP and Shelby help out. If NOT? Well, that'd be SAD. Just gonna restrain my disappointment until I hear back from the dealer. No sense getting worked up until I hear a "No".

Jer

Jer,

Just talked with the body shop, they got the stripes in at 10am this morning. Are they the correct ones this time??? We'll find out. They're expecting my car to be done tomorrow. No crack on the shop, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I hope you don't have to go through this dance also, but I think that F.R. does it in hopes the customer just gives up. Unfortunately for them, I'm not one to just roll over and take it.

I wish you all the luck in your endeavors as I know it can be an arduous journey, but in the end I think it is worth it. If a company won't stand by their warranty, what good is that company and their product.

Dan

Stripes are finally in and I'm scheduled early April for new hood (due to hood pin paint bubbling), hood stripes and hood scoop #5. Maybe this time......

I do eventually plan on painting the stripes; however, cost isn't feasible at this time. I tried to get SA to approve the cost differential for painting the hood stripes since the hood is being replaced anyway. No go. In the meantime, has anyone found aftermarket stripes that closely match the official Shelby stripes? I want to replace stripes on roof and trunk, at a minimum, for now. Then maybe in a couple of years consider paint. Also need to find a quality vinyl protectant. I read that the 303 Aerospace Protectant is highly recommended. Any endorsements by other users?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just took my SGT out of storage and the cancer on the stripes just made me cringe at the first site of her in over 5 months...So I took her to the Dealer today and they took photos of the hood stripes (cancer spots and wrinkles around the scoop), the hood scoop (stripes flaked off around the rivets and looks warped), the roof & trunk stripes (cancer spots and small bubbles), the hood pins (rusted and dry rotted)...The SGT was a leftover at Fairport Ford (which recently was bought out by VanBortel, a much more reputable owner) and sat on their lot through all of the elements for over a year before I bought it...I am just within the 12 month mark (11 months and 20 days) and only have 8,000 miles on her so I am hoping the warranty will be honored and I can finally get the eyesores fixed on this otherwise beautiful machine. I know "billtoole" has the twin of my car and had his stripes fixed before he moved south...the SA says he has used the same body shop for the stripes on 3-4 other SGT's and had no issues after the first one lol...so keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly. I read through the 12 pages on this topic and the 32-33 on the hood scoop so I am confident that I am prepared for any type of headache that might come my way :reading: . Thanks for all of the information!

Well I just took my SGT out of storage and the cancer on the stripes just made me cringe at the first site of her in over 5 months...So I took her to the Dealer today and they took photos of the hood stripes (cancer spots and wrinkles around the scoop), the hood scoop (stripes flaked off around the rivets and looks warped), the roof & trunk stripes (cancer spots and small bubbles), the hood pins (rusted and dry rotted)...The SGT was a leftover at Fairport Ford (which recently was bought out by VanBortel, a much more reputable owner) and sat on their lot through all of the elements for over a year before I bought it...I am just within the 12 month mark (11 months and 20 days) and only have 8,000 miles on her so I am hoping the warranty will be honored and I can finally get the eyesores fixed on this otherwise beautiful machine. I know "billtoole" has the twin of my car and had his stripes fixed before he moved south...the SA says he has used the same body shop for the stripes on 3-4 other SGT's and had no issues after the first one lol...so keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly. I read through the 12 pages on this topic and the 32-33 on the hood scoop so I am confident that I am prepared for any type of headache that might come my way reading.gif . Thanks for all of the information!

May I suggest you consider using the rivet nuts to reattach your hood scoop this time, that's what I did and it allowed the shop some flexibility in attachment, many posts from me and several others, a little on the pricey side, but I liked it better than the replacement rivets method.

I have the rivet nut tool and it was given to me under pay it forward if you want it.

Just my thoughts....... GG

The rebirth of my Shelby GT-H is almost here. On Monday I am dropping it off for the complete exterior makeover including painted on stripes. I have ordered all the new front grilles both upper and lower and the new pony emblem along with the hood pins and the SHELBY letters for the back. While it is they are going to take off the air bag cover for me so I can get it signed by Mr. Shelby as well. It sure helps to have friends in the paint and graphics business. They have already done up the reverse graphic template for the proper spacing and font for painting on GT-H on the side. Can't wait to see it completed!

The rebirth of my Shelby GT-H is almost here. On Monday I am dropping it off for the complete exterior makeover including painted on stripes. I have ordered all the new front grilles both upper and lower and the new pony emblem along with the hood pins and the SHELBY letters for the back. While it is they are going to take off the air bag cover for me so I can get it signed by Mr. Shelby as well. It sure helps to have friends in the paint and graphics business. They have already done up the reverse graphic template for the proper spacing and font for painting on GT-H on the side. Can't wait to see it completed!

Looking forward to see the results! :-)

Not sure who posed the question when I posted that my hood scoops were getting replaced finally,

but I had them both done at Tasca. My 07 and Dale's 08.

In Dale's case, the entire car was resrtiped, the hood scoop replaced, the hood pins replaced and the corrosion around them fixed and painted, all under warranty.

My hood scoop only was replaced.

Both cars were done flawlessly. A perfect job.

Highly recommend them to anyone looking into scoop/stripe replacement.

Not sure who posed the question when I posted that my hood scoops were getting replaced finally,

but I had them both done at Tasca. My 07 and Dale's 08.

In Dale's case, the entire car was resrtiped, the hood scoop replaced, the hood pins replaced and the corrosion around them fixed and painted, all under warranty.

My hood scoop only was replaced.

Both cars were done flawlessly. A perfect job.

Highly recommend them to anyone looking into scoop/stripe replacement.

Funny, I grew up next to Tasca, and only bought my Shelby after I had moved away.

Now I live in Vegas, and you'd THINK the process would be SOMEWHAT easy to manage, but I brought my car to the dealer Shelby recommended (Gaudin Ford), and today marks three weeks of silence.

"No news is good news" ?

Sigh.

Jer

Funny, I grew up next to Tasca, and only bought my Shelby after I had moved away.

Now I live in Vegas, and you'd THINK the process would be SOMEWHAT easy to manage, but I brought my car to the dealer Shelby recommended (Gaudin Ford), and today marks three weeks of silence.

"No news is good news" ?

Sigh.

Jer

be glad you moved away, a lot of people there got wiped out with the recent flooding.

Tasca on that big hill was dry, but Colony Ford got wiped out......completely.