TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Stripes Thread

I still love the car but I cringe thinking that I will have to have these stripes painted on and eliminating the "original" tag to my shelby. It's too bad the vinyl company made such a crappy product. All of the local vinyl companies give 5yr warranties......go figure

That's what I did! I had my stripes redone at a local auto graphics shop with a 5-year warranty. Look great!

Let me preface this with this started in March this year and has been to the dealer for this repair 4 times now;

So here is the latest on the Stripe issue.....I took the car to Burt a week before Steamboat and they didn't get it done so I said I want the car back to take it to Steamboat and I would bring it back when I returned. I didn't get the car back to them till Monday the 30th of June and they have had my car for a week I called them no response seems the service guy I'm working with went on vacation and didn't botherr to advise the individual he turned over to to call me, so I went to the body shop on Friday the 3rd to see how it was going and the body shop said they just got approval on Thursday the 2nd to work on the car so I went over what they were going to be doing and the owner of the shop's wife tells me that they are going to do the stripes on Saturday the 4th so I tell her, here is my card please call me if you have questions I'll be by on Monday to see how it is progressing.

I went by today Monday the 6th to check on the car and the same person the owner of the body shop tells me they aren't going to do the car they are afriad that it would be a can of worms and that the guy they were using did not want to do. I tell her to contact Burt and for them to get the car back to Burt and I will discuss with Burt Service Manager. To sya the least I am so pissed right now!!!!!

The service manager has now told me that he will be contacting the Ford area Rep to find somewhere that he can get the car done!!

I asked him where are we going with this and he tells me that when he has an answer he will contact me......I ask so am I to wait indefinately for an answer??? His response give me a week and I will get back to you. More than once the Service manager told me it seems that we can't make you happy so maybe you want to take your car somewhere else!

I am totaly frustrated!!!08sgt1042

If anyone knows where in the Denver area I can get this fixed plese PM me!

thanks

Mine are at the Dealer getting replaced as we speak, this is after 3 months of fighting with Ford racing /SAI (not really sure at this point who makes the final decision) Mine were due to Hood scoop and there was "debris" under the roof stripes at first Ford only wanted to replace one roof stripe even though new stripes = new material.

Mark

Edited by Mickey d

I am totaly frustrated!!!08sgt1042

If anyone knows where in the Denver area I can get this fixed plese PM me!

thanks

Find a professional auto graphics shop in the area and request it be taken there for the work and if needed pay any difference yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there guys

Info to all I have a Black 07 the stripes on it are kaput they are so bad that they look like zebra stripes from the cracks. I took my car to a local body shop he said to remove them and paint them on $1,300.00. He said to remove them and leave it black is impossible because the adhesive is baked on now.

I have the stripe kit however, Ford Racing refused to change the stripes when they had just spots on them "my dealer sent photos" they came up with that acid rain story; my answer "Why is it that the paint has no damage?" No answer

I called Ford Racing the second time around and his answer was we denied you before and he siad it with an attitude "I'd like to meet him in person" the guy has not seen what they look like now but he will by friday.

Main reason I'm worried about getting them put on again is because I don't want to go through this all over again. The material they use is crap! Eventually, everybody "unless somebody never drives the car ever" is going to have to replace them at some point.

If all us got together we could get something done about this situation to include the hood scoop

Hi there guys

Info to all I have a Black 07 the stripes on it are kaput they are so bad that they look like zebra stripes from the cracks. I took my car to a local body shop he said to remove them and paint them on $1,300.00. He said to remove them and leave it black is impossible because the adhesive is baked on now.

I have the stripe kit however, Ford Racing refused to change the stripes when they had just spots on them "my dealer sent photos" they came up with that acid rain story; my answer "Why is it that the paint has no damage?" No answer

I called Ford Racing the second time around and his answer was we denied you before and he siad it with an attitude "I'd like to meet him in person" the guy has not seen what they look like now but he will by friday.

Main reason I'm worried about getting them put on again is because I don't want to go through this all over again. The material they use is crap! Eventually, everybody "unless somebody never drives the car ever" is going to have to replace them at some point.

If all us got together we could get something done about this situation to include the hood scoop

The material is the material and that's not going to change...at least not in my view. Even the best strip material on average is warranted for 5 years so don't expect stripes to last the life of the car. Once you understand that do as I did and go find a TOP NOTCH autographics shop, not just a body shop, and match the stripe color and have them do it. If you can get them painted for $1300, about double what it cost me for the stripes and labor, it might be a good idea. If you get any warranty approval from Ford use that labor $$$ to help pay your stripes which ever you choose.

The hood scoop situation is what it is and if you have an old scoop with issues you should file a claim for a new and improved scoop before the warranty runs out next year.

Edited by JeffIsHereToo

Hi there guys

$1300 sounds a little cheap to me for painted on stripes. I was quoted around $2300-$2500, which seems comparable to what other members have said. That price is with no edge and them taking off the bumpers, hood, trunk and all so the stripes wrap around the edges. Not just sprayed on in place, for a more professional look.

I have seen the work done at the shop that quoted me and they do high dollar cars (not Earl Scheib jobs), so you might want to see what all their quote entails.

I told the owner of the shop that as long as the stripes are under warranty, I'll keep getting them replaced. Afterwards, we'll see. $2,500 is a nice portion towards a supercharger...

Good luck,

Dan

Getting mine back today, (I hope), from the dealer. New stripes, new scoop, new hood pins. All warranty. First set of stripes were uneven on the hood and had to be redone :(. Car has been in there for 2 weeks, they gave me a rental Focus, yuck!

I cant wait to get back on the road!!!

08sgt0348

Edited by billltoole

Getting mine back today, (I hope), from the dealer. New stripes, new scoop, new hood pins. All warranty. First set of stripes were uneven on the hood and had to be redone :(. Car has been in there for 2 weeks, they gave me a rental Focus, yuck!

I cant wait to get back on the road!!!

08sgt0348

Have fun this weekend!

:shift:

Anybody tried these from left coast enterprise? It sounds hokey but vinyl is vinyl.....I think?

I'm not too sure vinyl is vinyl. When I was looking for strips for my wing I could have went with a two products. Avery and 3M. The 3M were thicker and had better UV protection.

I took mine in to have the stripes (fading and water spotting) and hood scoop replaced. I called Quantum performance and they referred me to a local dealer that was aware of the issue.

I took it there and they were certainly NOT aware of the issue. I gave the service manager my Shelby GT book and he contacted them. After 20 minutes on the phone he told me that the scoop wouldn't be an issue but he didnt get a good feeling about the stripes. He took pics and sent them to shelby, but I guess they told him that the stripes only have a 12 month/12k mile warranty. I doesnt say that anywhere in my warranty manual, but Im waiting for an answer form shelby before calling anyone else at Ford Racing.

You should get handled for the stripes. They certainly know of the problem and act pretty quickly. Just stay on the dealership about who they are going to have do the work. Mine had to be redone before they even put the scoop on, (the hood stripes have to cure for 3 days before the scoop install). I went to see it prior to the scoop and the sub had put on the hood crooked, had to be all redone. Upon pickup I noticed that the front bumper stripes were cut/pasted together on one side and did not seat on the other. The front bumper has to be redone again. It is like night and day when it is all done though! :

Good Luck!

Can someone please help me!!! I own 07Sgt0149. I imported the car into Canada last year and understood that I would have to bring it back into the United States for any warranty work on Shelby modifications. No problem right!!! Oh yeah by the way, absolutely love the car!!! Here's the problem though, last week I brought the car to a Ford dealer in Niagara Falls who were great and very receptive to assisting me in my warranty issues. I, like everyone else have a hood scoop issue and a stripe issue. The dealer takes pics and calls for warranty approval and the scoop is approved no problem but the stripes they say have a 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty. So, I pull out the letter from Ford that lists all the Shelby components that states they are all covered by a 3year 36,000 mile warranty.

Unfortunately Ford Warranty says the stripes on my car are stained due to environmental fallout and are not covered. How can that be? First the letter from Ford has no exclusions at all, second the vehicle is garaged every single day and has never been out in the rain. Obviously I dont want to go to the trouble of having a new scoop riveted into my hood if the stripes under it are all stained. (I have the original 4 bolt scoop warped as it is)

Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts? Just want to keep my Shelby in mint condition because I plan on owning it forever and want to get it fixed!

Thanks

swalk (canuck from the north)

Can someone please help me!!! I own 07Sgt0149. I imported the car into Canada last year and understood that I would have to bring it back into the United States for any warranty work on Shelby modifications. No problem right!!! Oh yeah by the way, absolutely love the car!!! Here's the problem though, last week I brought the car to a Ford dealer in Niagara Falls who were great and very receptive to assisting me in my warranty issues. I, like everyone else have a hood scoop issue and a stripe issue. The dealer takes pics and calls for warranty approval and the scoop is approved no problem but the stripes they say have a 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty. So, I pull out the letter from Ford that lists all the Shelby components that states they are all covered by a 3year 36,000 mile warranty.

Unfortunately Ford Warranty says the stripes on my car are stained due to environmental fallout and are not covered. How can that be? First the letter from Ford has no exclusions at all, second the vehicle is garaged every single day and has never been out in the rain. Obviously I dont want to go to the trouble of having a new scoop riveted into my hood if the stripes under it are all stained. (I have the original 4 bolt scoop warped as it is)

Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts? Just want to keep my Shelby in mint condition because I plan on owning it forever and want to get it fixed!

Thanks

swalk (canuck from the north)

You can try to call Ford's warranty line yourself and argue the point but they're less and less inclined to do this now as the months pass.

I had my stripes done on my own at a cost of $650 at a local PROFESSIONAL auto graphics shop then had my scoop replaced. I also got a new 5 year warranty on the stripes from the shop. Because they were custom cut they were able to go under, rather than around, the washer nozzles, the faux gas cap, and wrap under the front window molding on the roof, so there are benefits!

Not what you want to hear but just an FYI!

Edited by JeffIsHereToo

It wpuld be interesting to see the percentage of cars that have had stripe issues, they scratch easy ans just dont seem to hold up, mine are fine 07 SGT BUT car lives in garage both at home and work driven once per week never in rain wax each time used the stripes that is . This is nuts my other cars that have stripea are OLD and no issuce. When mine was delivered the stripes were loaded with bubbles, back then it was easy to get things got entire set of overhead new stripes they knew then they had problems Feb 07. I fell sorry for those with problems this should not be happening dont give me that acid rain fall out FORD . I love the car but when I read all the horror stoires on scoop (MY second now have chip beck) stripes. all stuff put on by Shelby so they should be held responsible for thjier actions I read my warranty again no where is there exceptions on stripes, Hmmmm who is trying to get over?? Just my feeling on this matter.

Thanks for the info and I agree but just got a written response to me through my dealer from Shelby which states they warranty "performance parts" for 3 years/36,000 miles and stripes according to them is not a performance part. I re-read the letter and it does state that. I am not a difficult guy to deal with but it seems to me that if you know that you have a problem like so many of us have and we are all from different parts of the world, how can that be considering I like you garage my car each and everyday and drive it only about once a week and never never in rain!

They also sent me an attachment with an exerpt from Ford warranty basically saying the same thing. I don't seem to hear the same problems with the 2008's. Does that mean that they changed the quality of stripes after they knew they were having problems! What do you guys think?

It just makes me crazy to think that they won't back us up considering these cars are not abused but only babied!!!

Welcome your comments!

Thanks for the info and I agree but just got a written response to me through my dealer from Shelby which states they warranty "performance parts" for 3 years/36,000 miles and stripes according to them is not a performance part. I re-read the letter and it does state that. I am not a difficult guy to deal with but it seems to me that if you know that you have a problem like so many of us have and we are all from different parts of the world, how can that be considering I like you garage my car each and everyday and drive it only about once a week and never never in rain!

They also sent me an attachment with an exerpt from Ford warranty basically saying the same thing. I don't seem to hear the same problems with the 2008's. Does that mean that they changed the quality of stripes after they knew they were having problems! What do you guys think?

It just makes me crazy to think that they won't back us up considering these cars are not abused but only babied!!!

Welcome your comments!

How did your stripes get stained if not water? You say it's been in the garage so that makes no sense. I'm in Chicago and had the old flat first generation stripes and while I had other issues, it was never in rain, allowed to sit with dew on it, or kept outside and the stripes had no stains. Yet others that did leave the car out or allowed standing water on them did have issues.

BTW: Don't get me wrong! I think the stripes should be made to stand up to that sort of thing but even the maker is using this as a way to deny warranty coverage:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42158

Edited by JeffIsHereToo

I've seen a lot of picture of bad stripes. They all make me cringe. However it made me sick to actually see the cancer in person. Heading home from San Diego in my F-150 I met up with a VB SGT at Yuma gas station. There was cancer all over the car's stripes. Around the scoop, around the sat antenna, around the faux cap... everywhere. The roof was so bad it almost looked copper instead of silver. Even his Shelby lettering on the rear lid fell off and of course he had black hood pin cables and wrinkled stripes around the imperfect scoop. Inside the gas station he said he believed his car was #1141 and that he had been trying to get his issues resolved by the dealer.

In the back of my mind I could not believe the hassle we go through to get the stripes fixed for it only to return due to an inferior product.

One more update for you guys...

I am about to test out the ACI Paint Film product on a couple of cars. This product is paint with clearcoat. It applies just like vinyl though. If I like this product I will let you know so if anyone wants to redo their stripes with this product you have it as an option.

One more update for you guys...

I am about to test out the ACI Paint Film product on a couple of cars. This product is paint with clearcoat. It applies just like vinyl though. If I like this product I will let you know so if anyone wants to redo their stripes with this product you have it as an option.

John,

Will this match up with the old or first stripes on the 07 cars? I'd like to do just my rear deck lid because of some scratches, but want to make sure it matches up well with the rest of the stripes.

Dave

Edited by IASHELBYGT

John,

Will this match up with the old or first stripes on the 07 cars? I'd like to do just my rear deck lid because of some scratches, but want to make sure it matches up well with the rest of the stripes.

Dave

I have not ordered the product yet so I can not say for sure regarding the paint film but if you want back vinyl replacement stripes let me know. I can provide an exact match.

This statement bothers me. We get to 110 out here in AZ. I can see someone touching the product and it shifting due to extreme heat.

While this product is paint it is painted on a vinyl substrate so it has the same application and adhesion characterists as vinyl. With any vinyl stripe if it is heated you can deform it with pressure. This does not imply that you can not touch your vinyl or flex paint stripes, rather if it is hot and you put pressure at an odd angle against the stripe you may cause it to deform or shift. This may not be easy to do but it can happen. Everyone should just be aware.

The benefits of flexpaint is that it applies like vinyl but you get lots of color options to choose from AND it is clearcoated so it should last and wear like paint.