TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Obama and GUNS

I am looking for some advise with regards to purchasing a hand gun. This will be my first hand gun and I am looking for a .45 caliber. Do any of you own a Kimber, Glock, SIG ? I can spend $1,000.00 so share your experience.

Thanks

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am looking for some advise with regards to purchasing a hand gun. This will be my first hand gun and I am looking for a .45 caliber. Do any of you own a Kimber, Glock, SIG ? I can spend $1,000.00 so share your experience.

Thanks

XD's are nice, So are the 1911's

http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php

I also like Glocks. But Ive never had the please of shooting a Kimber.

I heard that Plaxico Buress might be selling a real nice Glock. It has been fired at least once.

I have a .45 Kimber Carry with Crimson Trace grips, A Springfield Arms XDM .40, and a Baretta 92FS Inox 9mm. Can't go wrong with any of them. Price wise, the XDM can be had for $600, Kimber for $1,000, and the Baretta between the other two.

Last reason I'd buy one ;)

If this if your first handgun, go to that site and research. You need to buy what you can shoot with getting hits on target. Go to a gun range that rents them or go with a friend that has a variety that you can shoot (if you have no such friend, you need better friends :) ) Then practice...throw at least 1K rounds down it. I'd suggest a couple day class too. You will get more opinions on which to brand buy than what oil to run ;)

First off, why a .45?

If it HAS to be a 45 then look at Ed Brown, Night Hawk, Les Baer and Wilson Combat. If you do not want to spend that kind of money, then Colt, Sig Sauer (P220 not the 1911's), S&W or Glock.

Personally, I woudl buy a 9mm, a ++P load is more than sufficient for self defense and the Walmart White Box ammo is cheap enough to practice at the range. If you want more than a 9mm, then buy a .40.

In order of prefference for 9mm or .40

Sig Sauer P229

Sig Saur P226

H&K USP Tactical

You will be better off buying a 9mm.

If you choose a Sig, go to www.sig.com and buy from Mississippi Girl. Best prices and best service.

Hope this helps.

If this is your first handgun then I would recommend that you check around to find a good range that rents a variety of handguns - try a number of different brands and calibers - as said above, the best gun is the one you can control. Anything over a 9mm when handled correctly will serve you well - one or two center of mass shots with a 38 beats 8 clean misses with a 45....Once you do choose, learn to shoot and take care of it and understand the laws for the state you reside in.

With that said, 45 cal 1911's are addicting, my all time favorite, solid, reliable and accurate - have two Wilson Combats, a Kimber and a Springfield, purchased in reverse order of this listing. Also have a new SIG P220 SAO Elite that I like very much, a Smith and Wesson 22 my son has learned to shoot on, a SIG P 230 for deep conceal and a S&W 686 - 357 revolver that is a cannon to fire.

First off, why a .45?

If it HAS to be a 45 then look at Ed Brown, Night Hawk, Les Baer and Wilson Combat. If you do not want to spend that kind of money, then Colt, Sig Sauer (P220 not the 1911's), S&W or Glock.

Personally, I woudl buy a 9mm, a ++P load is more than sufficient for self defense and the Walmart White Box ammo is cheap enough to practice at the range. If you want more than a 9mm, then buy a .40.

In order of prefference for 9mm or .40

Sig Sauer P229

Sig Saur P226

H&K USP Tactical

You will be better off buying a 9mm.

If you choose a Sig, go to www.sig.com and buy from Mississippi Girl. Best prices and best service.

Hope this helps.

+1

I agree about buying a 9mm. Ammo is cheap and readily available. I use Buffalo Bore 124gr +P+ ammo for self defense. You really need to hold and preferably shoot the gun before purchasing. Really depends on how it feels while shooting. I own a Glock 19 myself. For a really sweet pocket gun check out the Rohrbaugh R9 (9mm).

For a good quick access safe check out the DAC Sportsafe. I have 2, bought them at Walmart.

+1

I agree about buying a 9mm. Ammo is cheap and readily available. I use Buffalo Bore 124gr +P+ ammo for self defense. You really need to hold and preferably shoot the gun before purchasing. Really depends on how it feels while shooting. I own a Glock 19 myself. For a really sweet pocket gun check out the Rohrbaugh R9 (9mm).

For a good quick access safe check out the DAC Sportsafe. I have 2, bought them at Walmart.

If you want it for self defense, stay away from the 9mm

:headscratch: I've always heard that a less experienced person may be better served with a revolver as the typically have less issues like jamming etc.

No, that's not why, handgun rounds go through walls and out windows resulting in collateral damage when used in the home. Those people will then sue you :)

Glocks are like a revolver - once you load one in the chamber, they go BANG once you pull the trigger - no safety. More rounds, easy to reload...n00bs drops rounds when trying to reload a revolver. The XD would be a good choice too. For the home, a nice 12 gauge with shot does well - it will not penetrate drywall like a handgun round. Easy to use and less aiming required.

So, take into consideration your surroundings as well as access to the defense tool. Always good to have a few spread around the house (yet secured from curious hands) ;)

i understand the obama theory. buying them before some type of law coming down.

my take is, if u want to buy thinking obama will change things once he get into office, i recommend getting a riffle. he is more likely to ban assault type riffles than hand guns. banning hand guns to me is pretty much impossible, so u will always have the chance to buy a hand gun. on the other hand, assault riffles are different. remember the ban in 94 i believe? people back then were stocking the ak-47's like there was no tomorrow?

if u are buying a any gun base on the theory of obama banning something, please, buy an riffle. if u just want to buy a hand gun in general, thats cool too. lots of products out there. i personally like sigs and hk's.

as for riffles, i like sig's 556 line, and also arsenals.

P226 in 9mm is a nice easy gun to shoot. I took my wife to the range last month. She had never shot a hand gun ever before that. When we were done, she said that was fun and her idea of shooting a hand gun was much different than she thought it would be; 9mm is cheap to shoot, lots of ammo available and very accurate round; with that said, a 40 or 45 caliber may have more stopping power, but a 9mm hollow point to the chest, head, shoulder, knee or hip, well caliber is a moot point.

Anyone have an AR30 in a 338 for sale?

Thanks

I have one of each, not all .45's but 9mm, .40 and .45. My Kimber Pro Carry II (.45) is the most accurate, easy shooting gun I've ever shot but it's much to large to carry despite it's name (I carry my Glock 27 .40). Which leads me to my question what's the purpose of this gun? Home protection, self protection/carry piece or just a toy to take out and plink with now and again? You might get different suggestions based on the guns purpos

Thanks

A lot of good thoughts thus far and here's my 2c.

1. As suggested, find a range that will rent a variety of weapons and get training using the one that your instructor best fits your grip. It will make a big difference. For that reason, I stopped shooting Glock and bought a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm. The ergonomics were simply better for my particular grip. The M&P series comes with 3 interchangable backstraps to best fit a variety of hands.

2. What will you being doing with it? If you have a reason for concealed carry, pick a weapon that allows you to do that....conceal.

3. After you spend some time on the range, determine if you you prefer a double or single action if you're looking at an auto. Many moons ago, I was in law enforcement and managed to develop a, uh, over-active "respect" for single action weapons. Why? Because I personally know two people who have shot themselves with one by accident and another cop that managed to have his fire in a friends kitchen and trash a batch of dishes and put a hole in a cabinet. The "cocked and locked" ready position is great in theory but &*^% happens. So much for a thumb and backstrap safety to both be required to have it fire. So...as for me...double action. Your call, and many will argue for the SAA. Many of today's double actions don't require the action to pull an exposed hammer back and this results in a more fluid, single action-like trigger pull.

4. Caliber. You want home protection? Buy a shotgun. You want convenience? Buy a handgun and become proficient with it. I've never been a fan of the 9mm, but as was previously suggested there are some newer very efficient rounds available. Plus, they're a ton more affordable for practice. Hornady makes a great hollow-point that makes the 9 effective. When you can place two "center mass" and one high, it won't matter if you're shooting a pellet gun. Practice!!! The .40 is a good round, but is very limited as to available types. Even more so for the 10mm. I've come around on the 9mm and like mine a lot.

www.budsgunshop.com has probably the most competitive pricing in the country. I picked up the M&P not more than 90 days ago, and it's already gone up $100 due to demand.

Be safe.

bj

At the risk of upsetting some of the glock addicts it is my opinion grossly over rated. The city of New York had problems with thousands of glocks. Glock has a terrible system for disassembly where you have to pull the trigger to relieve the pressure on the striker and many, many people have shot themselves or others because of this design. Now someone will jump up and say it is is the users fault. Yes, but if the weapon had a mag safety disconnect like Smith and Wesson, or the new Ruger, or some Sigs then it would not happen. If you want more info re glock malfunctions go to google and type in glock kaboom.

Unless you practice a lot and on a regular basis you do not want an automatic. If it jams, and you cannot clear it instantly, it is worthless. Especially at night and in the dark. The average gun fight is less than 10 feet, night time, and over in less than 5 seconds. Buy the revolver in 357 so you have a heavier weapon and shoot 38 special Winchester silver tips or 38+p ammo. Use only premium hollowpoint ammo as the old style hollow points do not reliably expand under all conditions. As far as revolver I would only buy a S&W or a Ruger. If it is for home get the 3 or 4" barrel. Many do not realize that the barrel length determines the velocity of the bullet and subsequently the performance of the bullet. Buy the Winchester SXT 130 grain in +p or the Gold Dot 135 grain +P. If you want more control then the silvertips.

And finally, one of the best all around ammo is the Winchester Talon or Ranger round. The 9mm expands more and penetrates slightly deeper than the 40 in most barrier tests. So why buy a 40? The 9mm is more accurate and shot placement is more important than a bigger gun. And don't expect a wife or girlfriend that has never fired a weapon to be enthralled with a 45 or a 44 magnum, etc. Get something they can reasonably control and build their confidence. Good Luck

Finally, don't buy on the cheap. Buy the weapon, the ammo, and practice as though your life and that of your family depends on it. Because it does. Good Luck

Someone else mentioned the S&W M&P (military and police). It is a truly fantastic handgun. It has three different size grips to accomodate different size hands. Extremely reliable and accurate and can be ordered with the mag safety disconnect to make the pistol safer.

There are three basic types of jams. 1- double feed. Time consuming to clear. 2- stove pipe. Easy and quick to clear and continue. 3- short battery- easy to fix and continue. However, the problem is correctly diagnosing the problem immediately and knowing how to clear each instantly. And when it is pitch dark it can be difficult to diagnose if you cannot see the problem. And you must practice continously so as to react and clear the jam appropriately or again, it is just something to throw at the bad guy.

A revolver- six for sure! Very reliable. Very user friendly and safe. Just buy high quality weapon and ammo. If you want to move to a high capacity then be willing to buy another weapon (can't have too many!) and practice, practice and practice. And practice jams in complete darkness.

Good Luck

Archived