TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Custom Steering Wheels

I have been looking for "new" types of steering wheels that are custom made for our cars. Would like different materials i.e.: wood, carbon fiber etc... Have had trouble finding them. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks-

Swede, PM Roger, he's our resident expert. He did the carbon fiber and bloodwood inlay. Bring money, LOTS. I know 66DNA, Todd, in BC did an old school one in I think rosewood. Personally, if I was to have a wood steering wheel made, I would use a wood called wange (sp?). It's almost black. Black ebony would probably be my first choice. The problem with it is, the cost. It's sold by the ounce. Just remember, Roger is an expert at spending money on these cars. :spend:

Good luck

I'm almost positive that this is Rogers actual steering wheel. I know it was the first one made like this and probably the last due to the cost.

http://www.rau-autowood.com/mustang_gtcarb.htm

Yea, I'm sure it is. I did a search on the forum and found the post that Roger made a while back on the wheel he installed. It's a beauty and expensive but I guess that's what it costs for that specialized kinda work.

Don

Dave,

William Rau is the expert on these wheels. He has only done one Carbon Fiber wheel. I amost went with the piano black finish but changed my mind at the last minute. I also changed out the wheel. There is no reason to change the wheel though. You will see on his site that they use the IUP wheels. I decided to go with a GT500 wheel. The cost of the wheel ran about $350 then the shipping to Cali. plus the conversion.

Roger

Dave,

William Rau is the expert on these wheels. He has only done one Carbon Fiber wheel. I amost went with the piano black finish but changed my mind at the last minute. I also changed out the wheel. There is no reason to change the wheel though. You will see on his site that they use the IUP wheels. I decided to go with a GT500 wheel. The cost of the wheel ran about $350 then the shipping to Cali. plus the conversion.

Roger

Thanks Roger, I did forget you installed a high end wheel in your GT/SC. I have already left a message on his business phone. I'll keep you informed.

Dave

I bought one of these wheels but I had them leave off the fake pins. I have just solid wood . It is a lighter color than shown. I was trying to copy the look on my old 1967 shelby wood wheel. I am very satisfied with the wheel. I also kept the original wheel as well. I bought the take off wheel from them for an extra 295. I will try to post some fotos soon for you. They are expensive but it looks like it belongs on the car. :shift:

Update:

I bought the SSInserts Piano Black steering wheel with half Ebony leather on Friday. The owner of SSInserts said the steering wheel is 100% awesome and if I didn't like ANY aspect of it I could return it. I'll post pictures when done.

I did not buy the wood wheel as there is no wood in the cock-pit of these cars. Our cars just have brushed aluminum in dark or light. So I went with the expoxied color matching and half stitched leather. I am a bit concerned about this wheel but we'll just wait and see.

www.ssinserts.com

Archived