TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Winter rebuild

black86glhs

I was driving it around today. Forgot to mention I put a new coil on it. It does seem to run better and smoother. I was hammering it in first, when it fell on its face, picked up and I heard a loud bang!!! I looked in the mirror to see a nice big cloud of black smoke. Apparently, it needed cleaned out. Didn't hurt the engine, but scared the hell out of me. I think I hit cutout.

Started noticing it buck and stumble at random, however, mostly in 4th gear at 1400-1800 rpm. When I got it home I was planning on checking the TPS/IAC connector. I found some wiring that was in the process of breaking at the terminals, so I rebuilt the connector and the TPS connector. I'll take it for a drive tomorrow to see how it is doing. Replacing the fuel filter and might put the front sway bar back in tomorrow. I need to apply some Flashing(self adhering rubber) to the areas I patched(hacked) and need the car in the air, so the bar might as well go back in.

I've decided to build a whole new harness for it after dealing with the TPS stuff. This crap is getting so brittle. Also need to install the new rear axle bushings. Mabe I'll do that while I'm replacing the fuel filter.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. If I can keep it running long enough, I'll try to get some video of it. Just when I think I have it, something else happens. It ran good to my chapter(SDAC) meet yesterday, but coming home it would barely get out of its own way and almost didn't make it home. Found the line to the map sensor disconnected. Hoping that will be the last for a while. Also, the pass side ball joint started making noise on the way there, so it is now getting 2 new ones. After I change the oil, I'll fire it up and see how it is running. Please pray for me....LOL!!!

• 3 months later...
Thanks. If I can keep it running long enough, I'll try to get some video of it. Just when I think I have it, something else happens. It ran good to my chapter(SDAC) meet yesterday, but coming home it would barely get out of its own way and almost didn't make it home. Found the line to the map sensor disconnected. Hoping that will be the last for a while. Also, the pass side ball joint started making noise on the way there, so it is now getting 2 new ones. After I change the oil, I'll fire it up and see how it is running. Please pray for me....LOL!!!

Sadly, this is where it ended. :rip: Rods bearings took a beating. :chairshot: Too much clearance plus some grit made the bearings throw their arms up and surrender.

So now I have the 86 block in the garage waiting on a crank. :dreamy: Hoping to have it the end of next week. The forged Wiseco pistons from the 89 CB engine actually fit better in this engine(cylinder clearnace). :yahoo: The cylinder head, intake manifold and exhaust manifold got a good porting this time, not just a port match. I will also be making my own underhood wiring harness because I want to relocate some things and shorten some of the wiring. Plus the one in there is actually for a K-based chassis and is too long for the L-body. I should be getting half a floor pan from a charger to do a better job of repairing the rusted floor on mine.

6 classes in school have most of my time occupied :read: , so working even slower than before...lol. :violin: Here are some boring pics of parts on the shelf. :boring:

86_block.jpg

Comp_cover.jpg

exhaust_mani.jpg

Turbo.jpg

86_block.jpg

Comp_cover.jpg

exhaust_mani.jpg

Turbo.jpg

Decided to check out the big end of the connecting rods from the CB engine. One of them I checked was .002" out of round. Explains everything that happened. I was planning on having them resized anyway, so it only matters from an information standpoint. The other set of rods are in much better shape. So far only out .0005" on the one I checked. Should be getting the crank next week.

• 1 year later...

I'll be updating this here soon. I am currently figuring out how to fit some Mitsu Eclipse coil overs to the rear of my car. Rich Bryant is a BC coil over vendor and he got the upper attachment part done. I have been working on finding bushings to adapt them in on the bottom.

0419111402.jpg

0419111403.jpg

0419111404.jpg

0419111402.jpg

0419111403.jpg

0419111404.jpg

I was able to figure out a bushing setup for the coil overs I mentioned in the other post. Also, I found the nippondenso alternator wiring harness and got it cleaned up and installed in the car. Tomorrow I should be able route it to the neon PDC already in the car. Here are some pics of the coil overs.

shock bottom.jpg

shock front.jpg

shock rear.jpg

shock side.jpg

shock top.jpg

shock bottom.jpg

shock front.jpg

shock rear.jpg

shock side.jpg

shock top.jpg

Archived